PDA

View Full Version : i thought Ace-K was splenda... which is which?

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 10:47 PM
i thought Ace-K was another name for splenda and that splenda would be in coke zero. but then someone else said that there is no splenda in zero. so what's the deal? how many sweeteners are there?!?

ColaFan
06-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Ace K is Acesulfafe Potassium
Splenda is Sucralose
Both very different. Both sweet but both different tasting.

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 11:45 PM
oh. i see.

so... basically... coke will have THREE versions of a "diet" cola.

1--diet coke (based on new coke with nutrasweet)
2--diet coke with splenda (based on diet coke/new coke with splenda)
3--coke zero (based on clasic... with ace-k)

is this b/c some people have allergic reactions to nutrasweet and splenda... and they just want to cover all the bases? hmm. i wonder.

either way... my guess is that coke zero will beat the pants off pepsi one... so long as it tastes good.

[ 06-05-2005, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

Mr Zabe
06-06-2005, 05:51 AM
"either way... my guess is that coke zero will beat the pants off Pepsi one... so long as it tastes good."

That's like saying great sex is great as long as you are having sex. :D As of now the big players are giving us good foreplay and not enough sex. In time when it all hits the sheets, the winners stay and the losers are shown the door. tongue.gif

SamC
06-06-2005, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:

so... basically... coke will have THREE versions of a "diet" cola.

1--diet coke (based on new coke with nutrasweet)
2--diet coke with splenda (based on diet coke/new coke with splenda)
3--coke zero (based on clasic... with ace-k)

is this b/c some people have allergic reactions to nutrasweet and splenda... and they just want to cover all the bases? hmm. i wonder.

Actually, more than 3, because you still have the cafeine free versions, and then the fountain version of Diet Coke is made from Sacarin, because nutrasweet is unacceptable in fountains. And they still make Tab.

It has little to do w/ alergies. Its two different marketing ideas hitting the market at the same time. The Splenda version was because Splenda is a superior sweetener and KO was losing market share to Diet Rite because of it. The Zero version is because the diet market gains "converts" from the sugar market every year, and customers were telling KO that Diet Coke tastes less like real Coke than any other diet product does. Switching to Diet Coke involves a taste chance that does not exist for other brands.

The long run? As Splenda's patent runs out, it will just become Diet Coke, and the old version will die out. Zero has about a year to prove that there really is a core of loyal Coke lovers that will buy it, not at the expense of Diet Coke, but at the expense of Coke.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 07:41 AM
well, i agree with a lot of what was said above, EXCEPT... i doubt that Zero will taste good enough to compete with Classic... in any huge way.

in the end, if Zero tastes good... then coke will have 2 diet products competing with each other:

Diet Coke (with Splenda)... which tastes like "new" Coke (and Pepsi)... and, then...

Coke Zero... which tastes like Classic.

I guess, it's actually very smart. Diet Coke will be competing with Pepsi/Diet Pepsi/Pepsi One... and Coke Zero with Classic.

My guess is, Coke's market share of the "diet" market will increase.

Mr Zabe
06-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Mark my words Diet Coke with aspartame will not loose much market share and continue be a big seller. A large number of Diet Coke drinkers will not nor can't change over to the updated products due to taste preferences.

[ 06-06-2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Robot
06-06-2005, 12:09 PM
gonna have to agree with mr. zabe..

i prefer regular diet coke to the new kind with splenda..

its good stuff, the diet coke with splenda..but regular diet coke is better IMO!

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 12:40 PM
so... instead of having so many versions of diet coke... why didn't they just sweeten Zero with splenda?

that would've made everything a lot easier. smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 12:46 PM
so, maybe, diet coke with splenda is really just an attempt to kill pepsi one. and steal new diet drinkers from pepsi (since it tastes more like pepsi than classic). and zero is supposed to grab classic drinkers who move to diet... er... zero. smile.gif

The Interpreter
06-06-2005, 07:12 PM
It should be pointed out that Coke Zero will have Nutrasweet AND ACE K. That's the way it works...

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 11:01 PM
but coke zero is REALLY...

DIET COCA-COLA CLASSIC.

and diet coke is REALLY...

diet "new" coke. smile.gif

The Interpreter
06-07-2005, 06:57 AM
That's right. But, to some, sweeteners also matter.

I was pointing out that there is also aspartame in Coke Zero. I incorrectly said there was Nutrasweet in it, which I highly doubt. Nutrasweet BRAND aspartame is much more expensive. Remember the days when beverages sweetened 100 percent with Nutrasweet had the red swirl logo?

Empire State Buddy
06-07-2005, 07:06 AM
so, basically, aspartame is the "generic" version of nutrasweet. i didn't know that... and was using them interchangeably.

anyway, i see your point.

but do you think that coke will have 2 versions of diet coke forever?

i suppose it depends on how well both of them sell. if they become the #1 and #2 diet soft drinks, it'd be dumb to cancel either.

almost everyone i've talked to who have tasted diet coke w/ splenda say that they like it better, or that it's the best-tasting diet cola so far, and that they'll be switching. most of these drinkers are in their 20s or early 30s.

i haven't decided whether i'll switch or not. i'm hoping that Zero will have more "kick," in which case, i'll be drinking that in place of either diet coke. smile.gif

Hacksaw
06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Ace-K is also the stuff that gives some of us stomach trouble. I have no problem with Splenda, but anything with Ace-K wrenches my guts.

The Interpreter
06-07-2005, 10:43 PM
And others have the same complaint about Splenda.

Not everyone has the same reaction to the same things....

Empire State Buddy
06-07-2005, 10:50 PM
so, basically, they're just trying to cover all their bases, by having 3 different diet cokes/colas.

still, only the strong survive.

pepsi edge was already discontinued (by year's end), and C2's fate still seems uncertain.

pepsi one may get the ax after diet pepsi with splenda comes out.

and we haven't even tasted coke zero yet (though i think the odds are good it will do well).

The Interpreter
06-07-2005, 10:55 PM
You keep saying after Diet Pepsi with Splenda comes out. There is no assurance that any such a product is coming out now or at any time in the forseeable future....

Empire State Buddy
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
well, i just don't think that pepsi one ever caught on. it's been several years now and... who drinks it, really?

i think the diet pepsi name is much stronger. and it's easier for people to understand "diet pepsi with splenda" over "pepsi one is a different tastings diet cola which is sweetened with splenda."

i know it's not really THAT confusing, but to some people it is. LOL.

but, maybe you're right. i mean, i like the name/idea of pepsi one... and, apparently, so does coca-cola, since they're putting out coke zero. smile.gif

The Interpreter
06-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Pepsi One was JUST reformulated is now in a major push. Pepsi has itself said there are NO plans to reformulate Diet Pepsi by using Splenda. There are major constraints on getting Splenda. The supply is VERY limited, and will be for the next several years.

I doubt sincerely you will see Diet Pepsi with Splenda any time soon....

Empire State Buddy
06-07-2005, 11:38 PM
expect diet coke to increase its lead over diet pepsi then.

The Interpreter
06-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, I guess we will see. MY prediction is that the drinks sweetened with things other than Splenda will far outperform the Splenda versions. One thing is for sure. No way can all these versions of diet colas survive. Only some will...the rest will flop.

Which are which? Time will tell....

Empire State Buddy
06-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by The Interpreter:
Well, I guess we will see. MY prediction is that the drinks sweetened with things other than Splenda will far outperform the Splenda versions. One thing is for sure. No way can all these versions of diet colas survive. Only some will...the rest will flop.

Which are which? Time will tell.... really?

i don't. i think the splenda version of diet coke will pass regular diet within a couple years. it just tastes better (to most people)... so why wouldn't they drink it? splenda has a very dedicated and GROWING following... that's why coke did this in the first place.

it's still too early to tell what impact Zero will have yet, though. but i kind of suspect that the two drinks standing in five years will be Diet Coke w/ Splenda and Coke Zero (diet coke classic).

but who knows? we'll have a better picture by the end of the year. smile.gif

The Interpreter
06-08-2005, 06:37 AM
True enough that we'll have a better picture, but don't make the classic marketing mistake that the impressions of people you know and associate with are those of people in general, or, more importantly, of those who will actually purchase and use the product long term.

All of us think we are just like most people. Almost all of us are wrong! smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-08-2005, 07:21 AM
true enough. but i'm also basing it on news stories about how people are CRAZY for splenda and how the company can't even make enough of it!

which is sort of how nutrasweet was when it first came out. then, suddenly, it was in everything... and saccharin was tossed aside (except for TAB). LOL.

The Interpreter
06-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Actually, do you realize what is in fountain versions of Diet drinks? And do you realize that the people behind Splenda have an entire department whose job it is to get those news stories published?

The jury is still out on Splenda in diet drinks. Again, time will tell...

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
It seems that many people are forgetting that there's more to sucralose(Splenda) than just taste.

Aspertame is horribly unhealthy, and can have some pretty nasty health effects when consumed in large quantities over large periods of time. (I'm talking about people like my friends who drink a 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke each day and one of my old roommates who drank at least 4 cans of the old Pepsi One each day.)

Sucralose provides a similar taste to aspertame, yet contains none of the adverse health effects. It's ridiculous to me that people wouldn't switch over to sucralose drinks because it doesn't provide the bitter taste or "bite" of aspertame.

However, I realize that sucralose does provide a few side effects to some people like bloating and other uncomfortable reactions.

Ace K is surely the new, exciting calorie-free sweetener, but it seems that it might also have side effects in some consumers.

Aspertame seems to have few side effects in the general population(if not, they're at least not publicized much), and people are so trained to aspertame's taste, that I think it will be hard to convert people to the safer sweeteners.

I really hope people can drink these new beverages with an open mind so we can push these unhealthy sweeteners off the market.

[ 06-08-2005, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: SnappleElementsVenom ]

Empire State Buddy
06-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by The Interpreter:
Actually, do you realize what is in fountain versions of Diet drinks? And do you realize that the people behind Splenda have an entire department whose job it is to get those news stories published?

The jury is still out on Splenda in diet drinks. Again, time will tell... good point about "fountain drinks." do you know the % of cokes sales/volume that comes from "fountains" and what comes from retail sales? just curious. i thought i read it was like 2/3 to 1/3... but that was years ago.

still, if splenda drinks sell well at retail, coke/pepsi might eventually sell them at fountains too.

i'm not really disagreeing with you. i'm just very positive about the new drinks. tongue.gif

[ 06-08-2005, 11:29 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

Empire State Buddy
06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
It seems that many people are forgetting that there's more to sucralose(Splenda) than just taste.

Aspertame is horribly unhealthy, and can have some pretty nasty health effects when consumed in large quantities over large periods of time. (I'm talking about people like my friends who drink a 2 liter bottle of Diet Coke each day and one of my old roommates who drank at least 4 cans of the old Pepsi One each day.)

Sucralose provides a similar taste to aspertame, yet contains none of the adverse health effects. It's ridiculous to me that people wouldn't switch over to sucralose drinks because it doesn't provide the bitter taste or "bite" of aspertame.

However, I realize that sucralose does provide a few side effects to some people like bloating and other uncomfortable reactions.

Ace K is surely the new, exciting calorie-free sweetener, but it seems that it might also have side effects in some consumers.

Aspertame seems to have few side effects in the general population(if not, they're at least not publicized much), and people are so trained to aspertame's taste, that I think it will be hard to convert people to the safer sweeteners.

I really hope people can drink these new beverages with an open mind so we can push these unhealthy sweeteners off the market. i disagree in part. i think that aspartame has a BAD reputation for being "unhealthy" (whether true or not)... though not as bad a reputation as saccharin had (at one point).

splenda... whether merited or not... has a very positive reputation by a lot of people (they think it's "natural")... and, so... that's propelling a lot of its growth... as well as taste.

in fact, splenda has such a good reputation... and is doing so well... that, both, sugar AND aspartame attorneys are trying to sue the makers of splenda to stop advertising it as "natural." as far as i know, the case hasn't been settled yet.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure with which part of my post you disagree, but you bring up a good point: sucralose is definitely not natural. In fact, it's completely synthetic, a product of years of research and essentially a substance created from nothing.

And I'm sure that aspertame has a reputation for being worse than it really is, but it IS true that certain studies have shown that aspertame, when consumed in large amounts, can cause various ailments and is regarded as a mildly toxic substance by most nutritionists and the like.

If people want a natural sweetener, they probably shouldn't be drinking mainstream American soda anyway.

If people want a safe sweetener, use sucralose.