PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Edge discontinued. Is that good or bad for C2?

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 11:05 PM
i know most of you don't care... because you don't like C2. but i'm a BIG FAN. i think it tastes very much like coke classic... and i buy it whenever i can find it... and in place of regular coke.

anyway... Pepsi Edge (Pepsi's version of C2) will be discontinued by the end of this year. C2 was outselling it by 4-to-1 or more. Still, C2 still isn't doing very well... even if it picks up some of Edge's fans.

so... is Edge's demise good or bad for C2? i'd really be disappointed if C2 is discontinued... unless Zero tastes almost as good. then i'll just replace my C2 with Zero.

we'll see. Zero comes out this week... so i'll have my answer soon enough. smile.gif

Look In The Tunk
06-05-2005, 11:20 PM
It's impossible to find a still in date fridgepack of C2 in my parts. You can still find a 20 oz from time to time though.

The few times I had it I thought it was ok. Reminded me of (gasp!) Tab.

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 11:26 PM
i can only find C2 fridgepaks at certain large supermarkets by me. but i'm in NYC... so shelf space is limited. i see a lot of it in 1.5 liter bottles though. me and my buddies like C2 a lot... it's just not as easy to find as diet or regular coke... so... no way it's going to sell as well.

anyway... now that pepsi edge is discontinued... coke may reposition C2... and find a way to increase it's sales.

my brother is in advertising, at one of the biggest firms in the world... and he thought the C2 ads were confusing. especially considering it was a brand new product. so, maybe with a new "angle"... C2 will have a second wind. smile.gif

Android
06-17-2005, 12:15 AM
After I heard of the impending doom of Edge, I hunted down a few 12 packs once I saw it had disappeared from some store shelves around here. But then, today, I see a bunch of fresh product, fill date of June 5, at the Wallyworld Supercenter, one of the places that had had an unfilled hole on the shelf the last month or so.
I guess I jumped the gun on assuming it was disappearing now.

andy

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Well, the article i read said it would be "phased out" by "year's end." So, they'll probably unload it in areas where it was selling well.

As an Edge drinker... will you switch to C2? or will you just go back to regular Pepsi or Diet Something-or-Other?

I'd be disappointed if C2 were discontinued. I really like the stuff. And probably buy a 12 pack every 2 weeks (about twice as fast as i would drink regular coke).

XLS_04
06-17-2005, 02:00 AM
some local bottlers are thinking of dropping C2.

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
some local bottlers are thinking of dropping C2. can't coca-cola tell them "no"? just wondered.

as for C2, and it's future. i think coke should try to market it one more time... with a differnt "angle" (though i'm not sure what angle that would be). also, maybe even try to "reformulate" it with splenda (since sales are modest, it wouldn't cut too much into the "splenda shortage").

i see C2 a lot now in NYC... especially in 1.5 liter bottles. so it must be selling ok. i get the feeling it's popular with "metrosexuals"... and this city is crawling with them.

it's harder to find in 12 pack... but i know of a couple locations nearby where i can buy it. smile.gif

Android
06-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:
As an Edge drinker... will you switch to C2? or will you just go back to regular Pepsi or Diet Something-or-Other? Well, I drink a variety of different diet sodas right now, and if any one was going to "replace" Edge for me, it would probably be the new Pepsi One. I'm not a Coke fan at all, except for Diet Cherry Coke. But, I haven't tried C2 yet, I don't believe - I guess I should at some point.

- Andy

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 03:46 AM
C2 tastes a lot like Coke Classic... so you may not like it (if you don't like Classic). Even so, if you want something with less calories... but don't want to drink a diet soda, it's still the best/only option.

I've never tried Edge, but I think I saw some somewhere, so I might pick up a bottle, just out of curiousity... before it disappears for good.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-17-2005, 08:24 AM
As much sense it makes for me to think that Coke should have a full calorie, half-calorie, and no-calorie version of their cola on the market, I really think the average consumer is dumbfounded with all these versions(not to mention that there are actually THREE no-calorie versions).

Empire Buddy, start stocking up on C2 now.

Or... switch to Coke Zero. :cool:

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:
As much sense it makes for me to think that Coke should have a full calorie, half-calorie, and no-calorie version of their cola on the market, I really think the average consumer is dumbfounded with all these versions(not to mention that there are actually THREE no-calorie versions).

Or... switch to Coke Zero. :cool: i know what you mean about the confusion. a couple people at work have asked me, "what's coke zero? is that the one with that new sweetener, splenda?" LOL.

so, then, of course... i have to explain...

"no. coke zero has zero calories but tastes like coke classic... BUT... there is a new version of diet coke sweetened with splenda."

and then they'll say something like, "yeah. i hear that that nutrasweet/aspartame is bad for you..."

OR... they'll just look dumbfounded. LOL.

either way, i always end with, "well, i like it better than diet coke." ;)

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 08:38 AM
as for C2...

well, i have to admit that you and Zabe are probably right... it may end up on the soda ash heap.

and, the more i drink coke zero... the less disappointed i will be. it actually tastes better to me today than yesterday. it's not quite as good as a regular cola... but it's about 85% there. almost to the point where you forget you're drinking diet at all. smile.gif (yes, zabe. i know... you told me so.) LOL.

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by SnappleElementsVenom:

Or... switch to Coke Zero. :cool: oh... i forgot to agree with you in my other post. LOL.

yeah. it just would've made more sense if coke would've made coke zero its splenda drink... and diet coke its aspartame/ace-k drink.

3 diets is a lot... and that's why i predict that diet coke with splenda will go it alone... in a couple years... once splenda is no longer in short supply.

[ 06-17-2005, 08:41 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

The Interpreter
06-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Diet Coke has a HUGE, loyal, older customer base. Coke learned its lesson, and well, with New Coke. The LAST thing it would have done is change Diet Coke and not offer a choice first. If Splenda works, it will eventually become Diet Coke (and without the Splenda name). If it doesn't, Coke will quietly drop it. Either way, Coke wins, without the risk of another New Coke fiasco.

golee1
06-19-2005, 06:05 PM
We're disconuing C2 here as soon as we use up what we have left...

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:45 AM
someone else said that C2 was selling well in their area (ohio) and that the bottler has no intention of discontinuing it.

i think coke should try to remarket it before they start pulling it from the market.

The Interpreter
06-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Grocers are having FITS at Coke for all the different SKU's (stock keeping units) they now must stock to keep the customers happy. It is a certainty that at least one of Coke's major beverage lines will disappear and soon. That doesn't even take into account the Fresca remarketing and line extensions that are coming.

I'm sorry, but C2 has virtually no chance of seeing the Fourth of July of 2006.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 08:29 AM
I wonder if they could transform the C2 line into a regional one instead of national...

Kind of like how regular Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper is only sold in the southwest U.S.

That way, they could lessen production, but still have it boom in Ohio.

(But rumor has it that CV Dr. Pepper is coming here to Virginia soon for about 2 months. Let's just say I'm ready for the pounce. ;) )

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by The Interpreter:
Grocers are having FITS at Coke for all the different SKU's (stock keeping units) they now must stock to keep the customers happy. It is a certainty that at least one of Coke's major beverage lines will disappear and soon. That doesn't even take into account the Fresca remarketing and line extensions that are coming.

I'm sorry, but C2 has virtually no chance of seeing the Fourth of July of 2006. well... what about variety paks? that might be a way to conserve on shelf space, but still offer a variety of tastes/options.

maybe package coke w/ diet coke. and zero w/ c2. or something like that.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 02:42 PM
maybe it's time to start a writing campaign to "save C2"! LOL.

TaB
06-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Um...

TaB first, please. :D

billygtexas
06-22-2005, 01:38 AM
C2 seems to sell well in East Texas, our local Supermarket chain and Wal-Mart always seem have trouble keeping the liters and 12 packs in stock.

What bugs me is C2's placed right next to the regular Coke Classic and most shoppers think its a hi-cal soda. Coke never really did promote it after they gave it that first big push.

Maybe Coke should rename it "DIET Coke C2" - then it would fly off the shelves (Oh wait thats Coke Zero)

[ 06-22-2005, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

Empire State Buddy
06-22-2005, 05:45 AM
i agree, billyg.

people STILL don't know what C2 is. it could probably use a new name too.

i think that even C/2 would be an improvement... because it suggests "half" of something. right now, i think people think C2 = coke 2 = new coke.

right?

maybe i'll start a new thread for name suggestions... smile.gif

riot
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Yeah. I never really got why they called it C2. It's not twice of anything. It's half. I think they were just trying to be "cool."

I can't really think of a better name right now though.

BottleBoss
06-22-2005, 02:12 PM
It's just a sign that C2 will soon be gone.

riot
06-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, it's very possible that Coke Zero put the nail in the coffin of C2.

The more I drink Zero, the more it tastes like C2.

The first couple sips taste kind of "diet" to me; but after I get past the initial shock, Zero tastes almost like C2.

I may even stop buying C2, and try to drink Zero in place of it, just to ween myself off of it.

Sad. But, it may have to be done. :(

The Interpreter
06-25-2005, 05:47 PM
...and C2 CAN'T be called Diet. It has too many calories for that. Not to mention the sugar issue and diabetics.

C2 is all but gone. Just a little time and it will fade like Casper...

pepsidew
06-25-2005, 11:07 PM
edge & C2 are both dead around here, we haven't had edge in the warehouse for a few months - and if C2 did sell better its just because they were giving it away.

Android
06-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Edge must be dead in Colorado as well, I was in a few stores down there this weekend and didn't see it at all. (I noted that in passing while looking for old-stock old-formula diet 7-Up)

andy

itS JUSt SOdA dUdE
06-29-2005, 01:32 PM
i'm sure that pepsi announced that edge will be discontinued by the end of the year. and i believe, but am not certain, that pepsi twist with lemon is also being pulled.