PDA

View Full Version : Could Diet Coke overtake Pepsi as #2?

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Diet Coke has been gaining on Pepsi for years. Pepsi is hovering around 12% and Diet Coke around 10%. (Classic is at about 18%).

With the introduction of Diet Coke with Splenda... is it possible that DC could overtake Pepsi in the near future? I mean... it's only 2%... and DC has been gaining steadily, and Pepsi declining... slowly (as is Classic).

That would be a huge "symbolic" victory for Coca-Cola. In fact, I remember in the late 80s... Diet Coke commercials were comparing itself to Pepsi... not Diet Pepsi. I found that very weird at the time. But then I've talked to a few Pepsi drinkers who say that Diet Coke tastes more like Pepsi to them... and that Diet w/ Spenda is even better yet.

So... it may happen sooner than we might've thought.

OSpencerO
06-06-2005, 08:58 AM
I'm A Diet Pepsi drinker that really likes the new Diet Coke with Splenda.
I think that Pepsi is going to be having Diet Pepsi with Splenda soon.
They already have Pepsi-One with Splenda.
So, I don't think that is going to happen but it is possible.
If it happens I think it will be an even shorter time before Pepsi comes out with Diet Pepsi with Splenda so I really hope it does happen. smile.gif

Spencer

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 09:06 AM
yeah. i don't really understand the reasoning behind Pepsi One. i mean, it's basically just Diet Pepsi with a different sweetener, right? or was Pepsi One supposed to taste more like Classic or Diet Coke? i don't really know.

i agree with you... they should just come out with Diet Pepsi with Splenda, and cancel Pepsi One, which is likely to happen.

at least Coke's various diet versions makes sense...

Diet Coke tastes like "new" Coke/Pepsi, and Zero will taste like Classic. it's VERY SMART. surprised they didn't think of it years ago.

Pepsi has already announced the cancellation of Edge... so... don't be surprised if Pepsi One is next... after DP w/ Splenda comes out. smile.gif

PhillySteve
06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Diet Coke with Splenda could actually hurt Diet Coke's chances of overtaking Pepsi. The market shares that you're referring to don't incorporate the entire brand line. For example, Caffeine Free Diet Coke had a 1.7 share in 2004. Diet Coke's 10% doesn't include any of the flavors such as cherry or lime and won't include Splenda's numbers. Also keep in mind that Coke Zero is launching this year. But it is true that diet soft drinks have been gaining and regular soft drinks have been declining. Diet Pepsi has overtaken Sprite and Dr Pepper in the last few years. At some point in the future Diet Coke might not only be the #2 brand, it might overtake Coke Classic as #1.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 11:58 AM
yeah. you're right. the rankings are very specific, and will likely count DC w/ Splenda separately. i doubt coke will be complaining though, b/c it's market share is likely to increase b/c of Splenda.

also, though... if coke eventually discontinues DC (with nutrasweet)... then DC w/ Splenda may overtake Pepsi.

so, it's possible that, the new rankings will be...

Classic
Pepsi
Diet Coke
Diet Coke w/ Splenda
etc...

i don't remember the full list...

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 12:02 PM
oh... i forgot... how long before DC w/ Splenda overtakes DC for #3?

possibly next year... when it has a full year of sales?

of course, it's still unclear how well Zero will sell. it could be a huge hit (i'm definitely hoping to like it better than DC)... or a dud.

if it tastes more like Classic... die-hard Classic fans might switch from DC to Zero.

it's definitely the most "exciting" year in the soda biz since... well... "new" Coke. smile.gif

[ 06-06-2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

drpep
06-06-2005, 11:08 PM
When Pepsi One was first introduced it was targeted as a diet drink for males.

The Interpreter
06-06-2005, 11:16 PM
..as will be Coke Zero...

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 11:59 PM
yeah. but coke zero has another target market as well... coke classic fanatics who make the move to diet. the hard-core will pick zero b/c it's more like the "real thing" than diet coke... which is based on "new" coke/pepsi. smile.gif

as for pepsi one... as far as i know, it never really caught on. i mean, it's basically just diet pepsi with a different name (and sweetener) right? but the same formula.

the saint
06-07-2005, 10:38 AM
as for pepsi one... as far as i know, it never really caught on. i mean, it's basically just diet pepsi with a different name (and sweetener) right? but the same formula.
UUmmmmm. No it is no the same formula. as far as sales are concerned it doesn't do all that bad in my part of the world, granted it is not an everyday ordered item but the shelf space will usually turn itself in less than a week.

[ 06-07-2005, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Empire State Buddy
06-07-2005, 02:08 PM
i still say it (pepsi one) will be discontinued once diet pepsi with splenda comes out.

[ 06-07-2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]