PDA

View Full Version : Why don't Coke, Pepsi take on Dr. Pepper?

Empire State Buddy
06-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Dr. Pepper is one of the best-selling sodas in the country... but, neither, Coke or Pepsi have a serious challenger.

I mean... to me... cherry Coke and Pepsi taste sort of like Dr. Pepper... but not enough like. And... I know Coke sells Mr. Pibb here and there... but... it's just an unknown... and not "cool."

Anyway... I just wondered.

Hacksaw
06-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Well, Coke has problems with non-colas. They have yet to make, or market, a strong challenger to Mountain Dew. They have Vault, Surge, Mello-Yello, Fresca, & Citra in that general class. There is Pibb, Pibb xtra, & Cherry Coke to counter Dr. Pepper, but having so many sodas to take on just 2 sodas does not make a lot of business sense.

I don't know if Pepsi is all that worried about Dr. Pepper.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 07:45 AM
well, i know they don't need to be "worried" about Dr Pepper. it's got its "niche" and very loyal followers. but it's market share is big enough that you'd think that Coke and Pepsi would go after it.

but, maybe you're right, Coke has trouble selling anything without it's "name" on it. except for Sprite, which sells really well (though not as well as Mt. Dew).

OSpencerO
06-06-2005, 07:46 AM
Pepsi had Dr.Slice.

My opinion is that they have tried & failed.
I think the main reason why is the popularity of Dr.Pepper.

Spencer

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-06-2005, 08:50 AM
pibb is pibb xtra, and fresca and citra don't hold a candle to mountain dew in terms of similarity.

dr pepper is unique and a niche product. quite a wide ranging niche, but i think it's success lies in the fact that no one knows exactly what dr pepper tastes like. so when a competitor arrives, if it just doesn't taste like dr pepper (the flavor, the brand) it doesn't hold.

surnamed sodas come and go, but dr pepper stays forever.

Mr Zabe
06-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I might add.
I am a loyal Diet Pepsi drinker.
When I first tasted Diet Dr Pepper I was blown away. It has to be aside from Diet Pepsi the finest diet facsimile to it's sugar brother.

I never thought I would be so satisfied as I was with Diet Dr. Pepper.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
i agree about diet dr pepper tasting the MOST like its parent than any other soda. the difference is small.

as for coke/pepsi versions of dr pepper... well, i thought the original formula of cherry coke (from the mid 80s) tasted similar to dr pepper... but, then they changed it, in the 90s, i think, and i don't like the new taste of cherry coke... it tastes "artificial" to me.

it's all good though... i like dr pepper just fine. i guess we don't really need a replacement. smile.gif

mjb1124
06-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Keep in mind that Coke and Pepsi have the bottling rights to Dr Pepper in many areas, and thus don't need to compete with it. I'm sure if Coke completely lost all bottling rights to Dr Pepper, they'd push Pibb more. Not sure what Pepsi would do, as they've never really had a strong Dr Pepper competitor, and there are a lot of Pepsi bottlers that have Pepper rights but neglect the brand.

Empire State Buddy
06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
maybe dr pepper has a deal with them not to compete in the same markets. kinda makes sense.

i didn't realize that coke and pepsi distributed dr pepper. seems kind of strange.

fusion
06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Not really. Bottlers and distributors pick up rights to distribute different products in their area, in order to boost sales and market share.

Some of those franchise contracts go back a long way. You'll be really surprised when I tell you that there are non-Pepsi bottlers out there bottling and distributing Mountain Dew! One is Royal Crown in Winchester Virginia. Two more are Dr Pepper in West Jefferson North Carolina and Dr Pepper in Staunton Virginia. They had the franchises before Pepsi bought out Mountain Dew (they didn't invent it.. someone else did, and they bought that company out).

In NYC, Coke distributes Dr Pepper. Same in Philadelphia. Pepsi has it in Baltimore. and so on.