PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Pack Lawsuit

JACK
07-08-2003, 10:28 AM
Looks like legal troubles have started for this new package

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/0703/08riverwood.html#

fusion
07-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Riverwood deserves to win this one. They had it first.. and besides, their version is far superior to the Mead version.

teamtitan512
07-09-2003, 11:18 PM
I wish someone would help to get rid of Fridge Packs. I picked up some today on sale @ Martin's (5/$10) and had a MM Valencia one crumble on me at the store just from picking it up. When taking what I bought home, dropping a case of Remix Sprite on the ground, the box exploded.

Fridge Packs are the worst concept ever created. Last time I was in CCE Eastern Great Lakes territory, they did not switch, and if they do not switch for a while, I will drive to that territory to buy Coke, or even buy others products even though I don't like them (I prefer Coke's products in everything pretty much).

...and there was no Barq's! Blasphemous!

Terry K
07-10-2003, 02:48 AM
The problem with FP is a simple one: Its still being perfected. I know Swire and Worland/Admiral/Fremont had major problems with their conversions. The biggest issue was getting the gluing of them right.

The FP is an excellent idea, its just been poorly implimented.

teamtitan512
07-10-2003, 03:04 AM
MAC is having the same problems. I don't see the wonderful idea of these, sales are not boosted by packaging, they are boosted by quality products, and it appears Coke doesn't want those anymore to me at least.

fusion
07-10-2003, 11:46 AM
CCE Eastern Great Lakes will most likely have Fridge Packs by the end of the summer. I don't know what their rollout date is, but I know it's soon.

I'm on the conversion team for our sales center, and we start on Monday. We've received five SKUs so far, with more to come in the next few days.

The Mead version has been through six different designs for the "bucket" (the yellow part that you tear off to remove the cans). Not sure about the Riverwood one, though.

fusion
07-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Singapore now has Fridge Packs. Here's a picture from Coke's website. Not that great of a picture, but the design is different than the US version. And it's only 8 cans.

http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/img/right_hand_singapore_fridge_pack.jpg

fusion
07-10-2003, 01:03 PM
And a few from Coke's Singapore site:

http://www.cocacola.com.sg/media/image/news/local/20030702_cokefridgepackcoke.jpg
http://www.cocacola.com.sg/media/image/news/local/20030702_cokefridgepackligh.jpg
http://www.cocacola.com.sg/media/image/news/local/20030702_cokefridgepackvan.jpg

And, a link:

Singapore Fridge Pack (http://www.cocacola.com.sg/news/news.asp?NeID=330&p=3)

sundrop
07-10-2003, 04:25 PM
I agree, the fridgepack design makes it very easy to trash. They are very easily damaged and from a production stand they are a nightmare.
But the fridgepack has increased 12pk sales. When I first started with consolidated about 6 yrs ago we had less than 10 flavors of 12pks. Today we have over 30. Now can you contribute all of this to the fridgepack? No, new flavors and other market conditions are part of this. I think 75 percent of this increase is because of the fridgepack.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-10-2003, 08:49 PM
from coke's annual report:

"As we created new products and fresh brand experiences in 2002, one fact became increasingly clear to us: Consumers are eager to see The Coca-Cola Company bring excitement to the marketplace. One simple innovation last year—the Fridge Pack™ —has changed the dimensions of 12-pack sales for us and for our bottling partners. This sleek, refrigerator-friendly pack is increasing consumer awareness and preference, accelerating consumption and case volume in markets where it has been introduced. From our packaging suppliers who assisted us and our bottlers in developing the Fridge Pack, to the retailers whose shelves were reconfigured to accept the new design, partnership made this innovation possible—and profitable. The future of our business in North America also evolved in 2002 with the continuing rollout of iFountain, the most advanced soft-drink dispensing system in the industry. iFountain gives our customers a technologically advanced fountain system that enhances available brand options, improves operating efficiency and automatically calibrates each drink served to assure consumers of a quality drink every time."

also:

thinking outside the package: The Fridge Pack is our most significant innovation in packaging since the plastic contour bottle was introduced in 1993. These slimmed-down 12-packs allow consumers easy access to more cold drinks in the refrigerator, encouraging greater rates of consumption and repeat purchases.

and:

8/10 consumers said they preferred convenient Fridge Packs to traditional 12-packs. The popularity of 2-by-6-can packages has led to double-digit growth in both 12-pack and overall Coca-Cola case volumes in areas where Fridge Packs are available. Outstanding consumer response to Fridge Packs motivated bottlers in several of our key U.S. markets to convert their production lines to the new packaging in 2002, with more conversions planned for 2003.

so there you go...

teamtitan512
07-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Are any bottlers not switching to FP's? I really don't see how putting the whole box in the fridge really boosts sales or anything. It isn't like you just end up forgetting you even have the stuff.

Terry K
07-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Are any bottlers not switching to FPs? I really don't see how putting the whole box in the fridge really boosts sales or anything. It isn't like you just end up forgetting you even have the stuff.No. All Coke bottlers are going to them. And Pepsi is testing them, so don't be shocked if everyone has 'em in 2-3 years.

The theory behind FP is this: If you keep it in your fridge, you'll drink more, hence you'll buy more. That's what Alcoa said when they commissioned FP a couple years ago.

Frankly, I *like* FP since I keep so much soda in my fridge. It makes it far easier to manage. Besides, the boxes are cute!

teamtitan512
07-12-2003, 02:32 AM
Looks like another thing in life you don't like, but you have to get used to.

I wonder when we'll see store brands try converting to a comparable package, and which ones will be the first to do it. I know this will come too.

One thing I've noticed here is the increase in price. FP's at the local Martin's run $4.57 each when not on sale, which I feel sick paying. I waited for this week's 5 for $10 sale. The extra production costs to convert facilities are going to make other conpanies cost less for now, meaning some may switch product lines in what they're buying. I sense there may be a slight backlash for a while, especially in areas like mine, where Pepsi does pretty well.

fusion
07-13-2003, 09:46 PM
I saw some type of canned seltzer or flavored water in a Fridge Pack type box when I was in Ohio. I think it might have been La Croix, but I could be wrong.

Martin's didn't increase prices due to FP. Their retails have been really high for quite a long time. They do tend to run a lot of 5/$10 FP or 3/$12 cube ads, though.

teamtitan512
07-13-2003, 11:29 PM
They were $3.89 in February right before Central/MAC rolled out FP's. Pretty big increase in price if you ask me. Happened right when we got FP's. They are still $3.89 in the areas I've been where the Coke bottler still hasn't switched (CCE Eastern Great Lakes).

fusion
07-14-2003, 07:57 AM
You were lucky, then. I think ours had either $4.29 or $4.59 retails in February.

bigrich
07-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Around here the small area north of Indianapolis served by MAC is much higher priced than here. They have cubes and FP, CCE does not here. It likely higher due to the local bottles stand not to purchase from CCE. Kokomo Coca-Cola justs keeps getting product from further and further away. They used to buy from Coca-Cola St. Joseph, MI (before Johnston until about the time MI refund started), then North Central Canners, Plymouth, IN (a co-packer), then Columbus Coca-Cola, Columbus, OH (before Johnston), then Elizabethtown Coca-Cola, Elizabethtown, KY (Out-of-Business), then MAC in Zanesville, OH (Out-of-Business) and now MAC in Hamburg. When they have a problem getting product from MAC once in a while they will buy from Hunstville Coca-Cola Bottling, Huntsville, AL. That is most likely why their canned product is so high.

teamtitan512
07-14-2003, 10:38 PM
Thing is we have no availability issue. Central Coke has always used MAC for cans, except locally most of our product came from Zanesville before. Since then, Hamburg supplies us. It's always been Hamburg, so I'm figuring we're just getting hit for the FP conversion, us customers.

If it's so unprofitable for Central to produce certain sizes (cans, 1/2 liters, glass), I think maybe it's time for them to sell out to someone. If only the old lady running it had some sense.

SURGE
07-22-2003, 12:33 AM
Like people said before Fridge Packs are a good idea poorly implement. But they seem to be improving with the reliablility.

fusion
07-22-2003, 04:23 PM
After this latest wave of conversions in the Northeast, 80% of the country will be Fridge Pack. I wonder where the other 20% are.. I'm guessing Abarta is a small part of that, and possibly some other indies who can't afford to change their can lines, and some parts of CCE -- tri-cities? (Cincinnati)

I've converted over about half of our sales territory so far, and I've found that most of the damage has come from production or the warehouse. Sure, I've ripped a few from time to time (they are taped together, and sometimes the perforations in the tape don't line up right).. But it's been pretty smooth sailing, so far.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-22-2003, 04:53 PM
hey fusion, none of michigan has been converted yet. all three can facilities (FL-flint, DT - detroit and GR - grand rapids) have not converted. rumor has it they might not for a fair amount of time, especially DT, which isn't a big can market (more of a 2L market).

i have no idea, as usual, about the upper peninsula. they just do things differently up there.

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-22-2003, 07:46 PM
as far as I know, RI hasn't switched over yet

teamtitan512
07-22-2003, 10:04 PM
What about CCNNE?

fusion
07-23-2003, 02:57 AM
Does Rhode Island get their cans from CCE-NE, Needham Heights, MA? They should be converting soon, I know the whole Northeast is planned to be converted this summer. I was reading an article that Elmsford (CCE-NY), which is the #2 production facility in the company (unsure who is #1) had switched.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-27-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
hey fusion, none of michigan has been converted yet. all three can facilities (FL-flint, DT - detroit and GR - grand rapids) have not converted. rumor has it they might not for a fair amount of time, especially DT, which isn't a big can market (more of a 2L market).

i have no idea, as usual, about the upper peninsula. they just do things differently up there.i knew as soon as i said that i'd be in for some trouble. fridge packs are coming in from RX, which is running a special DEPOSIT can for michigan. it even says so on the date code area on the fridge pack container. i haven't seen all the flavors or anything, just a sprite container so far. i will investigate further.

also, DT is now producing dasani in 20oz. DT is detroit.

bigrich
07-28-2003, 01:15 AM
RX is Chicago, and those are the same cans they send to Iowa (Deposit is writen with the code). They are probably starting a coversion in MI. CCE Tri-States has not converted here, but MAC has.

teamtitan512
07-28-2003, 10:22 PM
MAC converted in March of 2003 here.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-29-2003, 05:39 PM
i called the cce-DT bottler and they have been producing fridge packs around the clock. they just converted, and they are the first canner to do so. so far they have only made the following:

coke
diet coke
diet caffeine free coke
vanilla coke
sprite

regular 12pks still abound in stores in the various other flavors

DietCokeEnthusiast
07-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by WhatTheWorldNeedsNowIsPiBB:
as far as I know, RI hasn't switched over yet...we've switched...

fusion
07-30-2003, 09:03 PM
Eastern portions of Eastern Great Lakes have also switched, since they get most of their cans from Elmsford (KE) and Baltimore (BT). Not sure if Twinsburg (TB) has switched. They supply cans to the western part of EGL.

Speaking of TB, I found some of those Coke Racing-wrapped 1 Liter Classic bottles today in Pennsylvania.. they were produced in TB.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-30-2003, 09:25 PM
hey fusion, do you know what region michigan is in for cce?

fusion
07-30-2003, 11:34 PM
Well, pre-Herbco merger, there was a Michigan division. I'm guessing it's now been folded into the Lakeshore division, which is headquartered in Niles, IL (former Herbco HQ).

Belleville was the former Michigan division HQ, and it looks like they still run a lot of things out of that office. A similar thing happened in Virginia, when the Commonwealth Division was merged with the Capitol Division (DC,MD, PA -- eastern sales centers in Lancaster, Sunbury, Lemoyne). The 3 PA sales centers were then added to the Eastern Great Lakes Division, which recently moved its' HQ from Houston (old Cameron Coke HQ) to Pittsburgh. They still maintain the Houston office, though. CCE also maintains the office in Richmond VA, which was the old Commonwealth HQ.

I am not 100% familiar with all of the facilities in the company, since there are so many. I've only personally been to/drove by:

Columbia MD, Mid-Atlantic Division (and former Capitol Division) HQ

Havre De Grace MD (Mid-Atlantic Division) Sales Center (where I currently work).

Carlstadt NJ (New York Division) Sales Center, where I formerly worked.

Frederick MD (Mid-Atlantic)
La Plata MD (Mid-Atlantic)
Parsippany NJ (New York)
New Brunswick NJ (New York)
Asbury Park NJ (New York)
Lemoyne PA (Eastern Great Lakes)
Pittston PA (Eastern Great Lakes, but pre-merger)
Reading PA (Eastern Great Lakes, but pre-merger)
Akron OH (Eastern Great Lakes)
Albuquerque NM (Desert Sun)
Valparasio FL (Florida)
Marietta GA (Atlanta, glass production for most of eastern US, along with Needham Heights MA)
Hartford CT (was New York back then, but now New England)
Cleveland TN (Tennesee-Alabama)

I've also been to ABARTA's facility in Coatesville PA, Philadelphia's Aston PA, Philadelphia PA, and Marmora NJ facilities, and Central Coke's Hagerstown MD facility.

I've also been to the Northern Neck bottling company, and I even posted pictures of the building on the board once.

I'm sure I've left a few off of my list.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-03-2003, 08:58 PM
plant GR has converted as well. that only leaves plant FL - flint, to convert. i don't think they will though. flint has always seemed to make 18packs, 6 packs, 4 pack cans and other odd packs of cans, like the sprite 15 packs they had for a while and the 24 suitcases.

fusion
08-05-2003, 11:26 AM
I'm guessing Twinsburg has also converted.. I saw a press release that western Eastern Great Lakes sales centers have switched, and they get their product from Twinsburg.

I'm not sure about Canada, but it looks like all of the CCE territories in the US have converted/or are converting.. I can't confirm Tri-States (lower Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky) or Mid-South (SW Tenn/Eastern Alabama/etc).

The only indie in this area that is still running 3x4 is ABARTA (production is BH, Bethehem PA). They run those round-cornered 12 packs and 24 pack suitcases.

The rest of the indies either buy from MAC, or produce their own cans (Philadelphia).

[ 08-05-2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

bigrich
08-05-2003, 10:43 PM
CCE Tri-States, plants HO, CN, & PR have not converted to Fridge-Packs.

Terry K
08-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
I'm guessing Twinsburg has also converted..

I'm not sure about Canada, but it looks like all of the CCE territories in the US have converted/or are converting.. I can't confirm Tri-States (lower Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky) or Mid-South (SW Tenn/Eastern Alabama/etc).
Twinsburg has converted. I have reports of FP with thier bottler code on them on sale in NY.

CCE hasn't converted in California yet. Stuff coming from DD & SD still are 3x4.

I think LX (Lenexa) is in the process, but I haven't heard of any Fridge Packs hitting Cali as of yet.

bigrich
08-14-2003, 12:09 AM
I have seen cans from LX in Fridge Packs. I do not remember where? LX does not produce as many cans as it used to, since CCE has taken over Chicago and cans in Iowa are sent from RX instead of LX. Cans in Central IL used to come from MN (Matton, IL) formally Kull packaging, until the contact with CCE ended. Then CCE brought in cans from SL until Herbco Indy HO was bought.

bigrich
09-05-2003, 03:13 AM
CCE Tri-States has just released Fridge Packs this week. Plant (HO) Indianapolis, IN has released Fridge Packs in the most common trademarks packs. I have seen Coke Classic, CFC, Diet Coke, CFDC, Pibb Xtra, Fresca, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Mello Yello, Barq's Root Beer, DBRB, Barq's Red Creme, DBRC, and Tab. I have not seen any Fanta or Minute Maid. I have heard that CCE is going to introduce the three flavors of Mello here (being they already can them here) and some new Fanta Flavors? Have seen some new Minute Maid but in 3x4's not from here.

[ 09-05-2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

golee1
12-25-2003, 10:02 PM
As a consumer I think the Dridgepacks are a good idea, as a warehouse loader they're a pain, their design makes it easy for them to fall off the side of a full pallet when you're taking the plastic off, or they get knocked off easily when you go to reach for something else, simply because they're so slender.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-10-2004, 12:25 PM
speaking of, i was at a kroger's about ten days ago and a merchandiser had a pallet up on a strato-stacker when he dropped the whole pallet of FP coke. he was just filling in for someone, guess he spent about six hours there cleaning up.
:D :D :D :D

fusion
01-14-2004, 08:19 PM
If they haven't already, ABARTA's going to start producing Fridgepacks. I was reading something about their Cleveland production facility planning the installation of a new packer and a new palletizer in the facility late last year.

I figure their Coatesville/Lehigh and Buffalo divisions cant' be far behind. They currently produce the 3x4 12 packs with the rounded corners that expose part of the cans on each corner of the box.

[ 01-14-2004, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-15-2004, 02:01 PM
i love those packages.

thing about abarta is, i've never seen a great variety in their 12pks anyway, doesn't seem like they make a ton of brands.

fusion
01-15-2004, 08:23 PM
They run a very small selection compared to the bottlers around them. They didn't have Remix until a few months after everyone else. And their MM Orange and Diet Coke with Lemon graphics were slow to change as well.

They do control Dr Pepper in their Coatesville and Lehigh Valley territories, though.

fusion
02-07-2004, 12:09 AM
The lawsuit was settled.

Packaging maker drops suit vs. rival (http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/0204/05package.html)

Let's hope that this means that Mead will switch to the Riverwood-type version of the FP, with the tab on the top of the box.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-13-2004, 05:12 PM
miller brewing will be switching to fridgepacks. expected date of release is april first.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-05-2004, 08:43 AM
today's the first day of stocking fridge packs for miller lite, miller genuine draft and miller genuine draft light. it coincides with a logo change. they have a different handle on the side than the mead/coke ones. miller uses riverwood for packaging.

fusion
04-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Here's a MGD fridgepack:

http://images.packworld.com/issues/04.04/images/Departments/MGDFridgepkOpen.jpg

Dave
04-11-2004, 07:38 PM
I would like to ask the board:
Do you like the FP's design?
Why doesn't the carton enable all of the cans to roll toward the open end?

Thanks

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-11-2004, 09:41 PM
then they'd all roll out of the box...rip the little thing that holds the last six in and wallah.

and, i eat my words. DPSU has switched over their holland plant and has begun producing "cool 12pks"

Dave
04-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Perhaps my question wasn't clear?
Once the upper level of cans is removed from the FP, there is nothing left to push the lower cans toward the open end. Isn't that a problem? One has to reach into the FP or tilt it forward so that they can find their refreshment.

Dave

Dave
04-11-2004, 10:31 PM
Also- I see that both CC and Miller use the term "Fridge Pack".
Doesn't one or the other own the trademark?
CC's FP logo has a TM next to it. How cam Miller use the same name?

Dave

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-12-2004, 12:39 AM
reach inside the box dave. you can't be that lazy of an american, can you?

Ron
04-12-2004, 01:47 PM
I hate them. One broke on me and spilled half the cans all over the parking lot (on a slope).
I don't use them in the fridge, as I drink a variety of sodas, and don't have room for one kind to take up so much room.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-14-2004, 12:26 AM
pepsi in michigan is currently switching over their howell and detroit production facilities. they've made all the rest of the 3*4s and are currently pushing them.

Mana211
04-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Are any bottlers not switching to FP's? I really don't see how putting the whole box in the fridge really boosts sales or anything. It isn't like you just end up forgetting you even have the stuff. I have a roommate that will never bother to stock the fridge, I on the other hand hate drinks with ice in them, I'd much rather have a cold coke to begin with.

1. Having the fridgepack gets me past the 3 cans a day she goes through with less work.

2. When it is colder outside I keep 12 packs in the trunk of my car. The fridge packs don't flip over, and are much friendlier footprint in the trunk.