PDA

View Full Version : most overrated beverage?

Nostalgia
07-08-2003, 12:20 PM
In my opinion, I think it is Mountain Dew. A powerful marketing muscle has managed to make drinking mountain dew look like a "trendy" thing to do, and now every high school wuss who drinks it thinks he looks cool while he's parked in the burger king parking lot with his fruit colored Honda Civic chugging mountain dew while hitting on the 14 year old freshmen girls. The popularity of the drink has become so strong that even rumors of the yellow-5 chemical it contains effecting your sexual performance have not effected it's popularity. As for the runner up, it's a tie between Red Bull and Sierra Pist(although I am not sure if Sierra is that popular, but I still loathe it due to the blatant fact that pepsi is using it to faze out their lemon lime sprite brand the same way they're using Mt.Dew livewire to kill off Orange Slice).

bigyoda
07-08-2003, 01:00 PM
I agree

KanKing
07-08-2003, 04:42 PM
You know I think the most overated drink around is water. I mean, they're selling this stuff at a dollar a bottle. I'll fill your glass up at home for free. I watch tons of it wash down the Potomac river every day. And besides, Gatorade is better. These 'Sparkling spring water' people. Let me tell you, just because it comes out of the ground doesn't meen it's good. My septic field drains into the ground people.

[ 07-08-2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: KanKing ]

karks88
07-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Great point KanKing smile.gif They run the same scam with air too.

To me the most overrated beverage by far is Red Bull. The stuff tastes like crap and yeah it gives a little energy boost but to spend $2 or whatever on a tiny can is ridiculous. There are some days (when I look in my wallet and see nothing) that I wish I had it in me to scam the public like Red Bull does.

FitzgeraldHead
07-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Coca-Cola.

onenudedude
07-08-2003, 10:41 PM
Sumpoosie.

Coco Rico
07-08-2003, 11:50 PM
Sprite. I'm done with Obey your Thirst already...it's tired (remember way back, when they were so against big name celebrity endorsements... Yeah, that changed real quick)

T.I.A.
07-09-2003, 01:03 AM
At least according to my local Pepsi rep, Livewire is NOT being used to kill off Slice. Livewire (nasty stuff) is indeed being phased out at the end of the summer.

Not that it can't come back for good some time in the future, however...

teamtitan512
07-09-2003, 02:37 AM
I doubt LiveWire is leaving. Pepsi I still think wants to unify their orange portfolio like they're doing w/Lemon Lime (country was split between Slice LL, Storm, 7UP) and w/ their Pepper portfolio (having Mr. Green/Dr. Slice - apparently which still lives on). Pepsi has Slice for the most part, but in some places, has Sunkist and Crush. They moreso than Coke I think wants a unified bottling platform of products. Watch for a Pepsi-produced ginger ale to come so they can knock Schweppes out.

I think the most overrated drink too is water. You can get it out of the tap, you don't need to buy Aquafina/Dasani/Evian/Deer Park/Dannon or any brand for that matter. It's the ultimate example of how consumers get screwed everyday.

Soft-drink wise, I think it is Pepsi. The ultimate knockoff drink.

JACK
07-09-2003, 10:55 AM
What makes Pepsi the ultimate knockoff drink? That honor goes to Pibb

surgewisc
07-09-2003, 12:15 PM
c'mon people, the most overrated drink is at your convience stores, you just forgot becuase its such crap and youd never uy it.
MELLO YELLO
coca cola eliminated surge to revamp mello yello while no the sales are as worse than surge's were
69 mill cases to 58 mill cases
why does coca cola sell it? they thik people like it but what people want is SURGE. smile.gif

T.I.A.
07-09-2003, 02:35 PM
I'll admit I do purchase a sparkling Saratoga once in a while, but buying water in a bottle is weird. I wouldn't call it over-rated, because people do usually know what they're paying for. I would call it absurd, however.

In bottled water's defense, I'll point out that they are convenient to carry and there is actually a noticeable difference in taste between waters from different sources. Bottles water is especially nice if local water isn't drinkable. When I lived in New Jersey, all we drank was bottled water. The six superfund sites in town didn't make the tap water seem too appetizing. Another example would be Savannah, GA, where the water has quite a bit of sulfur in it.

Of course seeing as how my local tap water is perfectly fine, an $8 Nalgene bottle has solved all of my water-carrying needs.

Another highly overrated drink along those lines are the Vitamin Water drinks. As I told a co-worker yesterday, get a Centrum and a Dasani... cheaper and better for you.

KanKing
07-09-2003, 04:28 PM
tongue.gif tongue.gif

teamtitan512
07-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Pepsi is the biggest knockoff as it was designed 12 years after Coke. Yes, it may have been originally designed to be a medical elixir, but what it turned into was a knockoff of Coke.

Close seconds go to Pibb, Mello Yello, and Sierra Mist.

SC Beverage Man
07-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Voo Doo Rain gets my vote.

surgewisc
07-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:

Close seconds go to Pibb, Mello Yello, and Sierra Mist.thank you teamtitan
Mello Yello is shiznit!!!
my "close seconds" go to sprite, pepsi, and mountain dew livewire

Nostalgia
07-11-2003, 01:14 AM
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Pepsi Blue yet. I think Pepsi is trying to market this product to the same group of people who drink mountain dew religiously, trend following posers. You know, the same kinda people who wear their pants too low, bleach the tips of their hair blonde, think that their little POS honda Civic will beat a corvette because they saw it in the Fast and The Furious, say "yo" or "dawg" after every statement pretending to be drug dealers despite their suburban upbringing and put subwoofers in their car which are 6 times more powerful that the engine making for an ear shattering experience. I drank an entire two liter bottle of that crap just for the Hell of it and I was excreting blue feces for the next 3 days.

T.I.A.
07-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Honestly, I haven't noticed it for so long it didn't even come to mind. I bought a 20 oz, drank about 4 oz and threw the rest away. Nasty stuff. Just haven't seen it around here lately, and that's definitely a good thing.

fusion
07-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Blue is gone from my area as well.

teamtitan512
07-12-2003, 03:25 AM
Blue won't go away around here. I've seen some areas where it's pushed as much as Sierra Mist, getting 1/2 the row in a 20 oz. cooler. Of course, this is in the non-Dew PBG territory I live close to, but even in the strong areas, there's still plenty of it.

teamtitan512
07-12-2003, 03:26 AM
Blue won't go away around here. I've seen some areas where it's pushed as much as Sierra Mist, getting 1/2 the row in a 20 oz. cooler. Of course, this is in the non-Dew PBG territory I live close to, but even in the strong areas, there's still plenty of it.