PDA

View Full Version : why does pepsi one have 1 calorie?

Empire State Buddy
06-09-2005, 01:58 PM
LOL.

where does that calorie come from? and does it even have one calorie... or are they just making it up... so they could give it that "cool" name?

i mean... it's made of the same "stuff" that all the other diet sodas are made up, but... somehow... this one has one teensy weensy calorie.

weird, eh? smile.gif

jblaviback
06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah I have allways wondered that myself. Maybe they add like one grain of salt to each can to give it the calorie

Empire State Buddy
06-09-2005, 03:37 PM
LOL.

my guess is that there isn't even one calorie in it. that they just rounded up... so they'd have a "cool" name.

didn't the early diet sodas have 1 calorie though... like TAB? i don't really remember... but i kind of think they did.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
I would guess that they're not lying, because my common sense tells me that it's illegal to project phony numbers on a nutrition facts label. However, I could be wrong.

By a grain of salt, do you mean sugar? There's definitely not sugar in it, because it would have to say so in the ingredients.

Mr Zabe
06-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I agree....Pepsi One is just a marketing made up name. Pepsi 0.99 would look and sound rather strange. LOL But then again the top two national brands of soda pop are known to do things that us common people may not understand. :confused: :D

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-09-2005, 04:25 PM
I just had an idea, although it may not be correct.

I'm sure beverage law says that companies can state the amount of calories in a drink within a calorie or two of accuracy.

So for example, if lab tests show that 8oz of Coke has 119.3 calories, the company can legally say that it has 120 calories per 8oz serving.

If this is true, then diet drinks can contain minute amounts of calories, but state that they have none(unless companies are forced to round the numbers up).

So while Diet Coke w/ Splenda and Pepsi One may both have between 0 and 1 calorie, one could state that it has none, while the other might state that there is 1.

Just a thought. Man, we need some FDA legal analyst on this board to help us out.

Empire State Buddy
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
i agree with snapple. there is probably a "trace" of a calorie, and so... pepsi can round up if it wants. and coke can round down. it's so insignificant... it doesn't really matter.

it just would've been weird to call it pepsi one... if it had zero on the label. smile.gif

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-09-2005, 05:39 PM
LOL

The Interpreter
06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
FYI, salt has NO calories, and no company would ADD it to soft drinks in this day and age (in fact, Diet Rite makes hay out of the fact they take it OUT of the water they use to make it)....

TaB
06-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Actually... Diet Coke is not actually totally zero-calorie, same with a lot of "Diet" products. Legally, you can call any product under 5 calories per serving a zero-calorie product.

Pepsi was just being different, trying to give thier new soda an identifier.

Empire State Buddy
06-09-2005, 11:56 PM
yeah. i guess "Pepsi Four" just doesn't have the same ring to it. LOL.

mjb1124
06-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Well they could've called the new formulation "Pepsi Two", or maybe "Pepsi 1.1"...

Empire State Buddy
06-10-2005, 03:33 AM
actually, "pepsi 2.0" might've been cool. u know... to play off the whole "tech" thing. might've appealed to the "geek" market. LOL.

The Interpreter
06-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Fufu Leth: According to my sources at the Coca-Cola company, Diet Coke is truly ZERO calories....not five. And labelling regulations no longer allow the nutrition label to claim zero calories when in fact the product has at least 0.5 calories per serving.

Empire State Buddy
06-10-2005, 07:50 AM
so pepsi simply rounded up. or... added some kind of tasteless, nutritive additive in it.

either way, not a big deal... i just wondered where it all originated.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-10-2005, 08:39 AM
diet coke used to advertise that it had "one awesome calorie." this page brought back that slogan:

http://www.usasoda.com/Cokediet.htm

scroll down to the 16ounce can section

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-10-2005, 08:45 AM
there's fresca cans that say, "only 2 calories per 8oz serving" on that usasoda page as well.

and i distinctly remember diet squirt having between one and five calories as well.

The Interpreter
06-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Yeah, when Diet Pepsi was introduced, they used: Diet Pepsi has just ONE calorie, we've got your number...It's ONE!" (singing jingle)...

Empire State Buddy
06-10-2005, 08:51 AM
so, somewhere along the line... diet soda lost some weight. ;)

(i know. not that funny.) smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I'd definitely buy "Pepsi 2.0". :cool:

Interpreter, if what you say is true about there being no lee-way in estimating calories per serving if there's more than 0, and if it works the other way by not being able to over-estimate it, then there's definitely some genius at Pepsico who manually put one calorie in Pepsi One without using sugar. :eek:

Empire State Buddy
06-10-2005, 09:54 AM
actually, Pepsi 2.0 probably would've been a better name than Pepsi Edge. it just didn't mean anything. it's just like it was TRYING to be "cool."