PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tasted pepsi one with splenda yet?

Empire State Buddy
06-11-2005, 04:05 AM
is it even out yet?

everyone just keeps talking about diet coke w/ splenda, and... coke zero. but what about pepsi one with splenda?

how does it stack up?

personally, i tried pepsi one when it first came out and... i actually liked it. but i stuck with diet coke.

my prediction is that coke zero will far outsell pepsi one in just a couple years. simply because it will attract classic drinkers who are forced to drink diet... b/c of health, weight, etc.

pepsi one's primary market... i think... was pepsi drinkers who don't like diet pepsi. but i think diet coke with splenda is likely to steal a lot of them now... as well as coke zero. it's a one-two punch that may KO pepsi one. we'll see.

chris916
06-11-2005, 04:20 PM
it came out months ago and i drank it exclusively because it was the closest thing to coke classic (to me)until this week when i found the holy grail that is coke zero (ice cold only, of course).

SuperAmmo
06-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Pepsi One is amazing.

Closest thing to Pepsi I can possibly find. It makes me want to gag whenever I drink Diet Pepsi again.

Empire State Buddy
06-11-2005, 05:05 PM
i didn't realize diet pepsi was so bad. or that pepsi one tasted so differnt from it.

i have tasted pepsi one before... before it had splenda, and it was good. but i kept drinking diet coke anyway.

The Interpreter
06-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Pepsi One is very different from Diet Pepsi. The former is NASTY, HORRID stuff. tongue.gif

Diet Pepsi, when fresh, is wondrous. :cool: Of course, those are MY opinions, with which you may differ, and I invite you to do so! smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Yes, it's very good.

It doesn't taste competely like the Pepsi formula, and it also doesn't taste like the old Pepsi One, but it's without doubt one of the best diet colas.

But Coke Zero blows out of the water. tongue.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-11-2005, 06:03 PM
wow. zero is THAT good, eh? i really can't wait to try it. i just hope i'm not disappointed.

BottleBoss
06-13-2005, 09:54 PM
All the diets are getting the plenda treatment. Even 7up.

The Interpreter
06-14-2005, 06:38 AM
No, they aren't. 7Up is. Diet Coke isn't (except the version that mentions it). Diet Pepsi isn't.

The jury is still out on Splenda, and there are supply problems.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure every beverage company wants to jack the prices of their diet sodas with Splenda...

Besides, not everyone's digestive tract can handle Splenda, not to mention that some hardcore diet drink consumers prefer the taste of cheaper sweeteners.

Empire State Buddy
06-14-2005, 08:24 AM
does diet coke with splenda cost more?

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
It might, I haven't really checked.

But sucralose is more expensive than aspertame, mainly because it's newer.

Word has it that several generic brands of Spenda will come out, so the price will go down (I think).

Empire State Buddy
06-14-2005, 02:19 PM
so... once generic splenda comes out... coke will take the splenda logo off their cans, etc.

i wonder if it will say "with sucralose" instead. or if they will have changed all diet coke to splenda by then.

Mr Zabe
06-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Just a guess.....

Slenda most likely has this product protected by copy write laws and or by FDA laws. I need some help here as I'm not sure if I have my facts right.

If there were to be a "generic" it would be under the license of Splenda?????

This won't happen for many years (17??).

Thanks for the help.
Zabe

[ 06-14-2005, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Good questions, Zabe and Empire Buddy.

I'd find it hard to believe that Spenda has a complete and utter copyright on the sucralose molecule. Not all aspertame is Nutrasweet, right? Then again, I could always be wrong.

I'm pretty sure that Coke has a contract with Splenda, so even if a cheaper copycat came out, Coke would be bound to contract.

Empire State Buddy
06-14-2005, 04:30 PM
well, it's interesting how diet coke switched to nutrasweet without notice (or 2 versions), but with splenda, it's not. the shortage may be the reason. or it could just be because some people have a "reaction" to splenda... or because coke didn't want to lose any devoted diet coke with aspartame drinkers.

it's also possible that coke zero is, ultimately, going to replace original diet coke... once the splenda supply is sufficient.

i mean, let's be honest, 3 versions of diet coke is a lot.

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Have you seen the commercials for Splenda on TV?

Splenda is being advertised in full tilt. By getting a contract with Coke, they made it so their logo can be on the soda bottles.

Ah, capitalism...

Mr Zabe
06-14-2005, 05:26 PM
SEV
"I'm pretty sure that Coke has a contract with Splenda, so even if a cheaper copycat came out, Coke would be bound to contract."

That was my first guess. Coke was able to lock into a contract agreement.

It's cool that we are able to work on the Splenda caper together just like the Fantastic Four. LOL

Android
06-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Actually, Coke did not switch to Nutrasweet without notice. It was a big deal at the time. In fact, when Pepsi made the switch to 100% Nutrasweet, and Coke didn't find out til the last minute, they reacted by putting ads out they they HAD changed already, which they tried to get away with by Fedexing a 6-pack of the new formula to every grocery store in the country. Then when Pepsi ran ads claiming you their competition didn't have 100% Nutrasweet yet, Coke tried to complain, until Pepsi showed that Coke's distribution was nil. So Coke responded with "It's coming" ads. A month or two later it wasn't an issue, but at the time, 100% Nutrasweet was a very important sales point. It increased sales of both Diets a lot - it needed to, because at the time, aspartame was expensive, and volume sales were needed to offset the costs. Back then, the Searle company had the patent on Aspartame, which is why it was always their NutraSweet brand. They wanted to get as much $$ out of it as they could while they had a monopoly rights for their patent. Which I'm sure is similar to what the situation with Splenda/sucralose is today.

andy

The Interpreter
06-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Uh, the switch being talked about wasn't when they STARTED using Nutrasweet. It was when they quietly switched to generic, going FROM Nutrasweet brand aspartame to just aspartame (the cheapest the soda companies can get at their specified quality level).

Splenda is patented, as you noted. NO ONE can produce it without a license from the people who own the Splenda patent, which they don't have to issue to anybody if they don't want to, which they don't. Currently, the company (they would want me to mention their name) is building more plant capacity to produce more. They can literally name their own price, just as Searle, who then owned Nutrasweet, could and did back in the day...

Empire State Buddy
06-15-2005, 02:05 PM
well, they better not get too cocky. after all, coke zero isn't using splenda, and, supposedly, tastes better than all the others.

anyway... it's pretty amazing how DIFFERENT diet coke tastes by just using a different sweetener. the splenda version tastes like an entirely different soda.

Android
06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by The Interpreter:
Uh, the switch being talked about wasn't when they STARTED using Nutrasweet. It was when they quietly switched to generic, going FROM Nutrasweet brand aspartame to just aspartame Ahh, I see what you are saying. Well, I wasn't that surprised, myself - I think by the time they dropped the Nutrasweet brand, the name value wasn't a big deal any more. Plus some sodas quietly went to adding Ace-K as well. Of course, I don't think they want to trumpet the fact "Now made with cheap-ass generic brand aspartame" ;)

andy

Mr Zabe
06-15-2005, 07:04 PM
"Now made with cheap-ass generic brand aspartame"

LMAO...Major giggles!!!!!!