PDA

View Full Version : Coca Cola Light Scam in London

MATHA531
06-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Made a huge mistake a couple of weeks ago while in London...went into Benjy's for a sandwich and grabbed a silver can diet coke or so I thought. Went to eat the sandwich and took one swig of the diet coke and something was terribly wrong. Took a look at the can and it said Coca Cola Light. Ugh, the most disgusting thing I ever had the misfortune to drink.

Please nobody tell me diet coke and coke light are the same drink with different labeling. The diet coke I drink in London tastes identical to the diet coke I drink in NY. But coke light I drink in Paris is disgusting as this was.

Any way I looked closely at the can and saw a sticker had been placed over the ingredients part. When I took the sticker off I saw strange looking letters almost like an Indian script so obviously this drink is being imported from a long way and of course diet sodas deteriorate very quickly due to improper storage. Went back to the store and looked at the red coke cans and sure enough there were stickers over the ingredients and taking one off same strange looking alphabet.

Two things...why are the stores pulling this garbage and you should be aware in London that if you see any cans that say Coca Cola Light the coke products in that store are not the ones they are supposed to be selling.

The Interpreter
06-11-2005, 07:50 AM
Maybe, maybe not. I would think that Coke of the UK would be policing this. I can't believe ALL Coca-Cola Light in the UK is suspect. Something IS up here, though. And Coca-Cola Light is not the same formula as Diet Coke (which is not sold in the UK) anywho...

Anyone have more?

MATHA531
06-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Trust me all Coke Light sold in the UK is not made by the official UK supplier but imported from long distances; just look at the cans.

Of course, the UK government might think there are more important things to worry about.

And just to clarify your post a bit, diet coke sold in the UK uses the same exact formula as diet coke sold in the US while coke light is not made in the UK at all.

The Interpreter
06-11-2005, 08:28 AM
I would think the official Coke supplier would be the one to be the most upset about this...unless it is being done by them....

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-12-2005, 10:34 AM
i went to london and came back with coke bottles from 12 different european and asian countries. even one from morocco.

it's called the "grey market," and it's similar to how, in America, Coke ships around product to different states. Since Europe is so small and tiny and what not, but they all (used to) have different currencies, with different exchange rates, the cost of 20 pallets of coke was different country to country.

therefore, indian and arab shop keepers import it, usually from out of europe, now that they are pretty much all in the european union.

there was a scandal a few years ago involving contaminated product (there was mold on the cans) and an outbreak of sickness at a russian school. the fear arose that they couldn't trace all the product because of how it gets privately shipped.

MATHA531
06-12-2005, 10:52 AM
Well at least it's easy to see this is happening with coca cola light...but the coke cans have labels hiding the true origins of the drink and I would be very leeary, quite frankly, of buying and drinking such products imported from such long distances under god only knows what conditions.

The Interpreter
06-12-2005, 10:54 AM
And a small aside...most in the UK do not drink beverages over ice, but much nearer to room temperature than Americans prefer.

I can just imagine how Coke Zero would go over there. I don't even want to think of drinking this stuff warm. Ickarooney.

Mr Zabe
06-12-2005, 11:03 AM
LOL
The firs 12oz bottle I drank was ok but it had a sweet sort of taste that I was not use to.

The second bottle I poured over ice and was like the Love Boat. LOL Ice it is. LOL

[ 06-12-2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ramonazo
06-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Or maybe it's because it's an old can, when you drink a Coke or a Coke light (or diet) 2 months, 3 months or a year after the date that appears in the can or the bottle, it tastes awful. I remember that I drank an old Coca-Cola Light that kept in the office for a year, and the taste was horrible.

The Interpreter
06-13-2005, 08:45 PM
Aspartame breaks down because of either heat or age or both. Just a single day in the hot sun is enough to make most diet sodas taste like Alka Seltzer. Good reason not to buy twelve packs of soda from service stations that store pop outside. No thanks.

da987
06-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Living in England I can tell you that it is not a scam by Coca-Cola. Coke light is the name for Diet Coke in most euorpean and asian countries.

There are a few companies in England that get their products from various countries around the World. They can import the sodas and sell them on to retailers cheaper than the retailers can purchase it through the correct channels.

The small sticker on the cans and bottles that covers the ingredients and canning information is put there by the importers. When this problem first arose in England, Coca-Cola tried to stop it by saying that it was illegal to sell these imports as the information on the ingredients were in a foreign language, and if someone were to have an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients, due to them not being able to read what is in it. Then Coca-Cola Great Britain could be held responsible, even though it would not be their fault.

The British Government then said that any imported food items must have ingredients listed in English.

I know a store in my local town were I can buy Coke Classic from Canada, Coke Light from Georgia (former Soviet country), We have a pizza shop in our village that sells Cherry Coke from Germany, and last night from the fish & chip take away, I bought a can of Coke from the Philipines.

In the past I have also bought Coke that has been imported from Belgium, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, and Turkey to name but a few.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
i could see importing coca-cola light for tourists (i.e. indian businessmen who are used to "light" and not "diet")... but that doesn't seem to be the case here. it seems that someone is trying to cut corners... which could be dangerous.

what is light sweetened with anyway?

da987
06-21-2005, 04:12 PM
I have just checked some Coke light cans from Mexico, Poland, Singapore, and they are all sweetened with Aspartame and Ace K.

So far Germany, South Africa, and Belgium seem to use Aspartame, Ace K, and Sodium Cyclamtes.