PDA

View Full Version : Where is Vernor's Ginger Ale?

shadowlp06
05-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Recently my father-in-law got sick and requested some Ginger Ale. So I went to the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and picked up some Schweppes. He hated it. He said that the best Ginger Ale, and the only kind he'll drink is called Vernor's. I can't find it anywhere here in Salt Lake City. Just wondering if anyone knew where I could get some. I found some online but its like 18.99 for a 12 pack. And thats not including shipping. Thanks for your help in advance.

SamC
05-14-2006, 08:01 AM
The product was founded in Detroit and is popular around the eastern Great Lakes. Cleveland, Toledo, Buffalo and like that. I have not seen it outside that area.

Its an acquired taste. Its ginger ale that is supposedly "barrel aged" to give it an oak flavor, like when brandy or whisky take on flavors from the barrel. I figure its all artifically done in modern times, although the can still reads "barrel aged".

You either love it or hate it.

As to finding it, its a DPSU product. You might ask your local DPSU bottler.

Hacksaw
05-14-2006, 03:45 PM
We have Vernor's in cans & 2 liters here in San Jose from a local company, and in glass with sugar through Real Soda.

fusion
05-14-2006, 04:12 PM
It is usually carried by specialty food companies or small soda distributors outside of their core areas in the eastern Great Lakes area. Usually produced by DPSUBG in Northlake, IL. I mostly see six pack cans around here, and more rarely see 2 liters, fridgepacks and 6pk 20oz (depending on the distributor). Some stores even carry it in their own warehouse (like Giant).

A&W of Everett, WA also produces it in 12oz longnecks.

Mr Zabe
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
In Chicago, we have Verns fridge packs, 2 or 3 facings at the store grocery store I shop at. On occasion I'll get the ginger ale,to be honest I not a big fan of it. :(

[ 05-14-2006, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jstylzz
05-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Hey shadowlp06,

I live in Salt Lake (technically West Valley), and I'm pretty sure that I saw some at Albertson's the other day. I'll check tonight after I get done with work and see. We used to buy it at Dan's too.

Do you know where "The Store" is? It's in the Holladay/Cottonwood area, and they often have a large selection of different drinks. It's the only place in the valley that I can find Ty Nant bottled water. It's a little pricy, but nothing to what you'd pay to buy it off ebay.

iowacity
05-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Vernor's is very good. One of the supermarkets here in Iowa City always has it, and another mom & pop discount store has it occasionally, sometimes during their 'dollar days' sale for $1 per 6-pack.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
05-15-2006, 09:09 PM
janesville, wi has it, in 12 packs, 2 liters, and sometimes 6 packs

Acheron
05-16-2006, 06:26 AM
We have Vernor's here at the store I work at, but it's not cheap. $3+ for a 6pack IIRC.

shadowlp06
05-17-2006, 02:36 AM
Hey...to the other Utah poster...I found it at Harmon's the other day in WVC...about 3500 South 4100 West...I went in there the other day on a lunch break and found it for sale in cans and in glass bottles. Cans 1.99/ 6 pack, and .85 for a bottle already cold. Great stuff. Father in law is thrilled.

jstylzz78
05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Sorry about the no reply...I had to create a new profile because it wouldn't let me log in. That Harmon's is right over where I work, and it sounds like you got a good deal. I found it at the Albertson's on 5600 W and 3500 So. (both regular and diet), and a 12 pack was $7.39. Pretty steep! Glad you found it and hope it helped your dad!

killjimmy
05-19-2006, 04:47 AM
we have it in indianapolis and its great. i even like the diet a lot.

[ 05-19-2006, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: killjimmy ]

jalessi
02-05-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Is Vernor's Ginger Ale still sold in Wisconsin and if so can you tell me the locations (address's)

Thank You

Jeff Alessi

jeffalessi@gmail.com