PDA

View Full Version : Coke Zero in the UK and the rest of Europe

MATHA531
06-16-2005, 10:00 AM
One would presume that coke zero will be out very quickly in the UK as coca cola UK almost always follows through on whatever is being done with coke in the US....

But what about the rest of Europe...will coke zero be replacing the foul tasting coca cola light that we are subject to on the continent? Any thoughts?

ramonazo
06-16-2005, 07:53 PM
I wish that Coke Zero would arrive to Mexico...

XLS_04
06-17-2005, 03:02 AM
coke zero is not replacing anything, it as just a new product.

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 03:21 AM
is coca-cola "light" = diet coke?

that was my understanding.

either way, my guess is that, eventually... coke will have TWO diet colas.

diet coke (which will be sweetened with splenda) and coke zero (which will use aspartame/ace-k).

from what i've read, both, coke and pepsi are going to make their diet brands their "flagship" brands... so, maybe that explains why coke put out "coca-cola zero"... so the name "coca-cola" would appear on a "flagship" brand.

MATHA531
06-17-2005, 03:36 AM
Coca Cola Light as sold throughout much of the world tastes very foul as compared to diet coke which is sold in the United States,Canada and the United Kingdom.

You can read a post of mine about the scam going on in London with coca cola Light being imported into the country from long distances and being sold in many stores even thought the official coke bottler in the UK makes diet coke.

The diet coke sold in the UK (and Ireland) tastes like....diet coke. The drink called coke light sold throughout much of the rest of the world tastesnowhere the same and quite frankly its taste is most disgusting.

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 04:52 AM
ohhhh. so they're different products altogether. interesting. maybe coke light uses saccharin (like TaB). i'm sure someone on this board will know something about it (Mr Zabe, maybe).

as far as Zero reaching the UK... well, i have no idea. it may depend on how well it does in the US first.

my guess is that Diet Coke w/ Splenda is going to build a large following rather quickly. I've already noticed that someone I work with has already made the switch. Which means, he's going out of his way to buy it at the drugstore, b/c the vending machines don't sell it yet.

i think Zero will catch on more slowly... since it's a new product and name altogether. for example, someone might pick up Diet Coke w/ Splenda by mistake... and like it... and keep buying it. but... not many people are going to buy Zero by mistake. maybe out of curiousity. but not by mistake.

anyway... as i predicted before... in a few years, it's likely that Diet Coke w/ Splenda will just become "Diet Coke" and Zero will replace Diet Coke as we know it now (sweetened with aspartame).

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-17-2005, 09:19 AM
I agree with Empire Buddy about how Coke will probably keep both Diet Coke and Coke Zero.

They're two completely different tastes with what will probably be two different fanbases. I can only hope they don't scrap Coke Zero.

I already talked to someone here at work who picked up a Coke Zero the other day(she saw me drinking it at lunch). She said it was pretty good, but I don't think she's a convert...

WE NEED TO SPREAD THE COKE ZERO GOSPEL! :D

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 09:54 AM
like i said, DC w/ Splenda has a huge advantage... there are already a lot of diet coke fans out there... and a lot of splenda fans as well. people know what to expect from each.

for Zero, people have to actually try it... and, then, based on a couple sips... in less than ideal conditions... decide whether they want to switch or not.

i think what coke needs to do... is advertise the heck out of Zero... just so people know that it's "diet" (though it seems pretty OBVIOUS to me). and, THEN... they need to make it the ONLY diet drink available in certain vending machines... for a limited period of time... that way... people will be FORCED to try it a few times (i think that curiousity alone would get most people to give it one try... before going down the hall to find a diet coke).

basically, Zero will only succeed if people TRY it (and like it). the flavor is there, but diet coke drinkers are very dedicated to their drink.

until then, spread the Zero gospel. and ask yourself...

what would jesus drink? LOL. (just kidding... i hope that wasn't offensive) smile.gif

[ 06-17-2005, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

Mr Zabe
06-17-2005, 10:09 AM
ESB
Did you ever get the feeling that Coca Cola does not really know how "hot" Coke Zero is going to be. I mean, they must know like we do that poured over ice Coke Zero is awesome.

Like you said, where is the advertising.

Maybe they are waiting for a big sporting event like the MLB All Star game???

It just seems strange with all the mystery and the way it has been rolled out.

[ 06-17-2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DietCokeEnthusiast
06-18-2005, 06:23 PM
The only thing I've heard people react when I'm drinking CZ and they say "What are you drinking" and I say "Coke Zero" they say "So...what's zero about it?"

what do they expect me to say? flavour? scent? bubbles? What else would it be?

Speaking of "Zero" brands...when is the stupid "diet" going to be dropped from "diet Sprite Zero"?

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 06:32 PM
yeah. several people have asked me "what is coke zero?" and they usually assume it has splenda in it. and, actually, maybe that's coke's intention.

by releasing diet coke with splenda... AND... zero so close together... people are naturally going to get them confused... b/c... most people aren't going to turn the zero can over... and check the label for splenda (unless they're allergic to aspartame, anyway).

they're going to think, "oh. there's the new diet coke with splenda." right? i mean... the can is the same colors... and, obviously, it's new... and zero calories.

still, i'm not one to get into "conspiracy theories," but... it's hard to ignore the timing.

and zabe? so u think zero is going to be huge, eh? see... i'm not so sure. well, at first, i mean. i think DC w/ Splenda will take off like a rocket... but that Zero will catch on more slowly... since it's a "new brand" altogether. and people will have to find a reason to try it.

Mr Zabe
06-18-2005, 06:46 PM
ESB
As my great, great grandma Zabe use to tell my family...."Honey, the cake is still in the oven,so let's not judge it's taste by the tooth pick test." LOL

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 07:29 PM
LOL.

TaB
06-19-2005, 12:26 AM
... DC w/splenda will NOT kill regular Diet Coke, nor will Zero, ESB.

Second highest brand loyalty of any coke product (other than Classic).

The Interpreter
06-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Of Diet Coke, Coke Zero and Diet Coke with Splenda, I bet the first to leave the market will be Diet Coke With Splenda. No way is Coke going to lock itself long term into buying brand name Splenda. If the Splenda product succeeds, it WILL replace Diet Coke and become known simply as Diet Coke. If it does not succeed, it will disappear and the current version of Diet Coke will remain Diet Coke.

Either way, I bet once the patent on Splenda is up, there will be NO beverage called Diet Coke with Splenda, and no brand name Splenda in Diet Coke in any form.

As for Coke Zero, I say within five years it will outsell whatever version of Diet Coke is sold...after all, it tastes like Coke, not Pepsi. If I want a Diet Pepsi, I will buy a Diet Pepsi. And if Coke Zero succeeds as hugely as I suspect it will, Diet Pepsi will add ACE K to its sweetener...

Empire State Buddy
06-20-2005, 01:40 PM
i don't think the introduction of splenda is a temporary thing with diet coke. it's a superior sweetener. still, because diet coke has such a loyal following, and b/c coke didn't want a repeat of the "new coke" fiasco, they're temporarily selling 2 versions of diet coke. eventually, i think diet coke will be it's splenda brand, and zero will be it's aspartame brand... and original diet coke will eventually fade out. i don't think it's any coincidence that they were introduced at nearly the same time.