PDA

View Full Version : Diet Coke With Lemon's Last Hurrah

Look In The Tunk
06-16-2005, 06:27 PM
I found the last fridgepacks of Diet Coke With Lemon I'll ever see today at the Wal Mart in Suffolk. There was five fridgepacks left, I bought four (I decided to leave one in case there's a Diet Coke With Lemon fan in Suffolk!). I'm too excited about this. I told my mom I consider this one of my birthday presents:

http://photos15.flickr.com/19737686_75a51a931a_o.jpg

http://photos15.flickr.com/19737685_8d76d839f0_m.jpg

Um...I brought these home at 12:30, and I've already drank four cans. And they're barely cold. Well, I got 46 cans to drink before July 11th (the expiration date--I don't mess with Diet after its expired)

The cashier at Wal Mart thought something was horribly wrong with me when she saw me buying four fridgepacks of the same brand. She said "eww! I can't stand lemon things!"

wonkapete
06-16-2005, 06:39 PM
Awesome. Last week, I was in my local drugstore and bought the last fridgepack of Sprite Berry Clear. Aruba Jam was stacked, on top and down both sides of it. I rescued the Berry Clear. Not because it's really good, just because I collect sodas, especially short lived ones.

Look In The Tunk
06-16-2005, 06:48 PM
I think I can still find berry from time to time. I won't buy it though b/c I don't really like sprite, and I don't have the room to save a fridgepack.

mjb1124
06-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Diet Coke with Lemon is still plentiful in the NYC area. I guess it must be selling better here than in most places.

Look In The Tunk
06-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice?:
Diet Coke with Lemon is still plentiful in the NYC area. I guess it must be selling better here than in most places. Are the 20 oz bottles abundant still? I miss having a 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke With Lemon.

ramonazo
06-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by wonkapete:
Awesome. Last week, I was in my local drugstore and bought the last fridgepack of Sprite Berry Clear. Aruba Jam was stacked, on top and down both sides of it. I rescued the Berry Clear. Not because it's really good, just because I collect sodas, especially short lived ones. I did something similar, when I went to Lagos de Moreno,Jalisco, three months ago, there were no Coca-Cola vainilla in any grocery store, until I went to a supermarket called LEY and there were only two 8 oz. cans of Coca-Cola vainilla (I think that the last two in town), I bought them, I drank one can and the other I still keep it in my closet.

wonkapete
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Last week I was in a small mom & pop grocery. They had one can of Pepsi Holiday Spice in the cooler. It's amazing what's sitting around if you look hard enough.

mjb1124
06-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by TheConnieVandelayShow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice?:
Diet Coke with Lemon is still plentiful in the NYC area. I guess it must be selling better here than in most places. Are the 20 oz bottles abundant still? I miss having a 20 oz bottle of Diet Coke With Lemon. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, they are!

Look In The Tunk
06-16-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice?:
Yes, they are! Daamn, we haven't had 20 oz Diet Coke With Lemon since 2003, I don't think.

Empire State Buddy
06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
so diet with lemon was discontinued?

hmm. it doesn't really surprise me. i thought the stuff was absolutely awful (no offense to anyone who likes it).

Look In The Tunk
06-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:

hmm. it doesn't really surprise me. i thought the stuff was absolutely awful (no offense to anyone who likes it). None taken. I thought the first version in 2001 was great, while nobody liked it, the second version was HORRID, and the third version was okay, but not as great as that first version. I still miss the first version. Now that was LEMON. Some people would compare it to drinking Lemon pledge, but I loved it.

Robot
06-17-2005, 01:39 AM
its not disco'd is it? i still see it everyone in chicago.

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by TheConnieVandelayShow:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:

hmm. it doesn't really surprise me. i thought the stuff was absolutely awful (no offense to anyone who likes it). None taken. I thought the first version in 2001 was great, while nobody liked it, the second version was HORRID, and the third version was okay, but not as great as that first version. I still miss the first version. Now that was LEMON. Some people would compare it to drinking Lemon pledge, but I loved it. </font>[/QUOTE]i was one of the people who thought it tasted like lemon Pledge... and thought it was AWFUL! i can't say i'll miss it, but... if others liked it... i didn't care if they kept it or not.

mjb1124
06-17-2005, 05:37 PM
I didn't care much for the first two formulas, but they really got it right with the third, IMHO. I think I even like it just slightly more than Diet Coke w/ Lime.

Empire State Buddy
06-17-2005, 06:30 PM
i only had the first version. and that was enough to keep me away forever. LOL.

i mean... it wasn't even out that long... how did it have THREE reformulations? LOL.

drpep
06-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Diet Coke w/Lemon keeps showing up at Wegmans in 12 packs then goes away then comes back.

ithastabeshasta
06-18-2005, 11:08 AM
I can still get it in the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 12:11 PM
they must be shippin all the leftover to where people like it...

The Interpreter
06-19-2005, 11:57 AM
As long as you keep the Diet cold, and it hasn't been warm too long, you can drink it for well past the expiration. That is the last SELL BY date, not the last DRINK BY date. When Diet goes bad, it tastes like Alka-Seltzer. You'll know. It won't hurt you, but it certainly does not taste good! It's the aspartame breaking down.

Anybody notice if the Splenda products have longer selling times, and thus expiration dates further into the future?

yankees26mlb
06-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wonkapete:
Last week I was in a small mom & pop grocery. They had one can of Pepsi Holiday Spice in the cooler. It's amazing what's sitting around if you look hard enough. There is a Duane Reade near me that still has them in the back of the cold drink refridgerator thing

Look In The Tunk
06-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Diet Coke w/Lemon keeps showing up at Wegmans in 12 packs then goes away then comes back. It looks like that's happening out here. I saw some at Farm Fresh in Smithfield yesterday with the expiration date of September of this year. Just 3 weeks ago the only one left was a beat up one that had expired in April.

fusion
06-20-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by The Interpreter:

Anybody notice if the Splenda products have longer selling times, and thus expiration dates further into the future? I dunno, but the flavored Diet Cokes in cans have a longer date code than Diet Coke or CF Diet Coke. The flavors also have Ace-K in addition to aspartame.

Android
06-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Well, Pepsi One and Edge have a 6 month expiration date on them. In notice that the new 7-up still has a 3 month range though. (these in in cans)

andy

XLS_04
06-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Diet Coke with Lemon is STILL being made, I just want to make sure some people realize this since they are acting as though it is a discontinued product.

It is up to your local bottler to carry it.

Empire State Buddy
06-20-2005, 12:58 PM
so it wasn't officially discontinued then?

ecliptic
06-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Diet Coke flavored with lemon dish soap.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by ecliptic:
Diet Coke flavored with lemon dish soap. LOL.

so true. the stuff is awful. i just wonder who they test-markted the stuff on... and how bad the reject versions of the formula must've been. :eek:

XLS_04
06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
no it's not a discontinued product. alot of bottlers dropped it, thats all.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
no it's not a discontinued product. alot of bottlers dropped it, thats all. isn't being discontinued the next step though? just wondering...

didn't pepsi just cancel its diet pepsi twist w/ lemon? which isn't a good sign for coke's version, unless... coke picks up those cosumers.

[ 06-21-2005, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

XLS_04
06-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Pepsi drops their failed beverages alot easier. Coke will keep their failed beverages around certain parts of the world. They might change the taste or change the name such as cherry Coke...Coca-Cola Cherry) but they usually never just discontinue a product.

Empire State Buddy
06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
well, that makes sense. a lot of time, research and money are invested into a new product launch.

still, as i said in another thread... instead of introducing so many different flavored sodas/colas, and dividing up their shelf space, coke/pepsi should just sell concentrated syrups (with their brand names on them) and let consumers flavor their own sodas... like used to be done at the old soda fountains.

the profit margin would be large (since syuprs are mostly sugar/HFCS), and would leave more shelf space for the flagships... coke, diet coke, sprite, etc.

The Interpreter
06-25-2005, 06:42 PM
But where would the consumer get the soda water? Around here, club soda (which is the soda water) costs the same as flavored sodas. And most people would NOT mess with mixing up their own, regardless of costs. If there were big money to be made doing this, Coke, Pepsi or at least some third tier bottler would be doing it. They aren't.

Mr Zabe
06-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Seltzer/soda water at lest in the Chicago market and in the Woodman's store I shop at in Wisconsin sells well. In the Chicago stores, there is a selection of 3 or 4 brands. They sell for around .79 to .99 cents for a 2 ltr bottle.

Safeway (Dominicks) also sells 6pks of 12oz cans of sparkling/soda water for $1 to $1.25. I really enjoy a good bottle or can of seltzer water.

Wegmans sell 6pks of 16.9 seltzer/soda water (Canfields) for only $1.39. Everytime I go shopping there, Canfields seltzer/soda water is just about sold out.

In my view seltzer/soda water is alive and well in my neck of the woods.

[ 06-25-2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

The Interpreter
06-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't question that. I DO question that people will buy seltzer water AND buy syrup AND mix the two at home, when they can buy flavored sodas for about the same price! smile.gif

Mr Zabe
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
I happen to agree with you.

I will say that us humans are goofy. We do irrational things,in our eyes what some do just do not add up. That's the beauty of the beast, if someone has a taste for peach syrup and a cold club soda, then all that can be said is to each and his own. ;)

[ 06-25-2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]