PDA

View Full Version : Orange Soda Taste Test

treetoptom
05-15-2006, 12:01 PM
A group of eight of us at work held a Orange Soda Taste Test. We sampled 2 oz. servings of ten different orange sodas:

Orange Crush
Sunkist
Tropicana Twister
Fanta
Boylan Bottleworks
Stewart’s Orange & Creme
Aranciata
Barillitos (Tangerine)
Safeway Select
Orangette (Sam’s Club)

After the tasting, we each ranked out top 3 and bottom 3. There were two runaway winners for best, with Orange Crush coming out on top on 7 of 8 ballots with 4 #1 rankings, followed by Sunkist (7 of 8 with 1 #1) and Tropicana Twister (4 of 8 with 1 #1). Boylan and Stewart's each got one ballot with one first place ranking).

There was also a runaway winner for worst, with Sam’s Club Orangette coming in on every single bottom 3 ballot and with six last place votes. No surprise, since it was so dreadful (actually, when drunk seperately, I've found it halfway decent, but up against the others it's flaws shone through). In fact, one has to wonder what the two people who didn’t vote it last were thinking. They chose Aranciata, which admittedly is an acquired taste and came in next to last, followed by Safeway Select.

Next up this week: Colas. We are doing it as a blind taste test and have:

KP Coke
Coke Classic
Pepsi
RC
Jolt
Cricket
Soho
Shasta
Boylan

The Truth
05-15-2006, 01:14 PM
No Nehi?

How about Red Rock cola.

Acheron
05-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Orange Crush is mighty tasty, if hard to come by in these parts.

It's a shame that Minute Maid Valencia Orange was such a short lived product, that was easily one of the best orange sodas around.

treetoptom
05-15-2006, 01:33 PM
We wanted to keep it to sodas we could obtain locally without having to have them shipped in. Orange and Grape Nehi are two "hard finds" here in Central Maryland. I'll rarely see them (but never Nehi Peach) in some larger c-stores while traveling on the Eastern Shore or Western MD. I've never seen Red Rock cola here in MD.

thechamp76
05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Acheron:
Orange Crush is mighty tasty, if hard to come by in these parts.

It's a shame that Minute Maid Valencia Orange was such a short lived product, that was easily one of the best orange sodas around. Every fareway (over 80 stores) in Iowa carries Orange Crush.

Cheer-wined
05-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by treetoptom:
Orange and Grape Nehi are two "hard finds" here in Central Maryland.
If you want to drive to VA, there is a distributor that services the north Shenandoah valley. Blue Ridge Beverages buys Nehi from IBC in Charlotte. I have seen cans and 20oz near Staunton and Harrisonburg, but it's been a couple of years.

Their Waynesboro VA warehouse is (540) 941-3730.

golee1
05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
They sold all their soda rights to Dr Pepper of Staunton when they merged with Dod Distributing.They discontinued Nehi because they already sell Sunkist and Welch's.

Acheron
05-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Every fareway (over 80 stores) in Iowa carries Orange Crush.Really? My girlfriend will be pleased to hear this. We were resigned to get Crush when we visited friends in WI.

Hollow Man
05-16-2006, 11:04 AM
I've had Orange Crush before and wasn't a big fan, but I'm willing to give it another shot. Although for the most part I don't bother with non-caffeinated soda. If I'm going to have pop, it's gotta have some bang...

-HM

skifdank
05-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Fanta!
I was surprised to read it wasn't at the bottom of the list. I take issue with Fanta, and not just their orange.. the last time I was so quick to reject a beverage based just on my own taste was when we tried Ski. Yikes!

pepsidew
05-16-2006, 02:41 PM
orange slice would own all of those - in my opinion

Rob The SURGE Drinker
05-16-2006, 02:50 PM
orange crush (i said slice, i f'ed up...) is plentiful in wisconsin, as per said earlier in another post...

[ 05-16-2006, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]

shadowlp06
05-17-2006, 02:45 AM
The Sam's Choice ranking at the bottom is funny. I used to work for Wal-Mart and they sent out this newsletter every month. One month there was an article on how they had changed the Grape and Orange soda formulas to Grapette and Orangette to reflect the original recipe that they had bought off of a company in Arkansas. The article went on to say the formula was the most popular flavor during that time period and Wal-Mart wanted to bring back its sucess. But knowing Wal-Mart as I do, they probally skimped and cut corners to make the product as cheap as possible...Just a little FYI

Hacksaw
05-17-2006, 01:31 PM
The current US formula Fanta is crummy, but the European is great. Orangette & Safeway are not that good.

Baumeister has a wonderful Orange, but Boylan's is top notch as well.

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Was this taste test blind?

The winners don't surprise me. I knew all along that Tropicana Twister orange was very good.

Mr Zabe
05-17-2006, 10:04 PM
***Slightly off topic.***
Orange Gatorade has very real orange taste minus the carbonation. I challenge your panel to taste it with the orange soda pops. smile.gif

Cheer-wined
05-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by golee1:
They sold all their soda rights to Dr Pepper of Staunton when they merged with Dod Distributing.They discontinued Nehi because they already sell Sunkist and Welch's. That stinks. Nehi's losing ground!

Popboy
05-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Is Tropicana Twister the succesor to Tropicana Orangeade?

BATBL18
05-19-2006, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Popboy:
Is Tropicana Twister the succesor to Tropicana Orangeade? No, actually Tropicana Twister is the sucessor to the Slice brand. The Tropicana Twister line of soda's(Orange, Grape, Strawberry) are non caffeinated, 2% juice sodas. Very similar purpose and competitor to the Coke's Fanta, although Pepsi also has Mirinda. Tropicana Orangeade is a non carbonated beverage, and is still produced.

[ 05-19-2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: BATBL18 ]

treetoptom
05-19-2006, 09:20 AM
DJ HawaiianShirt - No, this was a visible label taste test, which admittedly can lead to some degree of skewed results (although I can vouch for the winners and loser without much fear of favoritism, at least in this case). We did the colas as a blind test because we figured brand loyalty for colas was more significant than for orange soda. I think we'll do the root beer and grape tastings blind, though. It adds the fun "try to guess which one this is" aspect, as well.

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Fair enough.

But was the Orange Crush in glass? I think that would have a much more profound effect on the results than just the label.

treetoptom
05-20-2006, 03:38 PM
No, the Crush was in 12 oz. cans. It's $3.09 for 12 oz. cans or plastic bottles at Weis and a whopping $4.69 for the 12 oz. bottles. As much as I enjoy drinking out of a glass bottle, I can't justify that much of a price difference. Of the ones we tested, only the Boylan, Stewart's and Barillitos were in glass. They came in fifth, sixth and eigth, respectively, so it doesn't seem that glass packaging swayed many voters.