PDA

View Full Version : Best Fountain Drinks?

shadowlp06
05-18-2006, 02:54 AM
So we've ranked best colas, best orange soda, best snack/beverage combo. Which restauraunt gas station or what not has the best fountain drinks?

My choice for Best Fountain Drinks are as Follows:

Best Fountain Coke...McDonald's (very syrupy at times, and great with fries)

Best Fountain Dr. Pepper...Wendy's (don't know why, but its great

Best Fountain Citrus...7-11 Mountain Dew

Mr Zabe
05-18-2006, 03:03 AM
McDonald's and Wendy's fountain Coca Cola are the finest all around soft drinks ever known to mankind. LOLOLOL Always tasty and always a good carbonation mouth burn.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Nestea Raspberry tongue.gif

Mr Zabe
05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
MrR
Nestea Raspberry is very good. I like to get it at all you can drink fountains and use lots of ice. YUM

Ram0n C0keah0lic
05-18-2006, 01:48 PM
I tried it at Carl's Jr. in my Vegas vacation... and it was a refill drink fountain so you can imagine how many Nestea Raspberry glasses I drank :D

jblaviback
05-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah I love nestea raspberry iced tea. It's very good.

SURGE
05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Dr. Pepper from a good fountain. Though I always think Coke and Pepsi as well as Sprite are also great. About the only time I ever drink a Sprite is fountainside. The worst by FAR is Diet Coke which is really just disgusting-must be due to the saccarine- Coke Zero is far superior in fountain though its growth will be limited there due to DC dominance. Glad we have it at a few places around here though.

Tri-Magnum
05-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Diet Coke from a Braum's Fountain ,Extra super syrupy! :cool:

Lepke
05-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Last night I had RC from a fountain at a pizzeria. It was much better then the stuff I bought in a 2 liter a couple of weeks ago.

But I’ll have to say Pepsi from the fountain at an On The Run gas station c- store is best.

iluvsurge220
05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Any citrus out of the fountain is good, except for the one time I got surge out of the fountain at fazolis and it was more blue than green!!!

Mr Zabe
05-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Am I the only one????

About a year about we came across a very nice greasy spoon restaurant. The food is very good and cheaper (located in Wisconsin) than Chicago prices. There is one main problem!

Their soda fountain is not maintained/cleaned the way it should be. I mean that each time I have eaten there I have had to send back my soda pop and just drink water. :( It would be cool as it is a rare RC/7up fountain.

LOL....Given the choice,we end up going to our local dinner. The food is good and the bottomless Pepsi fountain drinks are perfect in taste and carbonation. LOL I gots to have good soda pop. LOL

[ 05-19-2006, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
05-19-2006, 11:19 PM
where was this resturant located, zabe?

Mr Zabe
05-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Rob,
About a mile past the main entrance to Great America in Gurnee,IL. I forgot the name,it's a 24/7 Greek Dinner (The Avalon???).

OOPS....I should have said this restaurant was in Illinois and not Wisconsin. It's on the way to Wisconsin. LOL

[ 05-19-2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

David J.
05-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Mountain Dew at a Wendy's fountain, nice and syrupy.

Nestea Raspberry IS good, in moderation. I drink a little bit at work.

Mr Zabe
05-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I had some very tasty fountain Pepsi at our local dinner with breakfast. LOL When they see me walk in the wait staff brings me two glasses of Pepsi with easy ice. smile.gif It makes me feel like a king. smile.gif

[ 05-20-2006, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hacksaw
05-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Barq's seems better on tap.

iluvsurge220
06-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Lately, I have tried to lay off the fountain drinks. It seems like everytime, they are too watery or I get the bottom of the syrup container where all the sugar and stuff goes and it makes me sick. That same thing has happened to me the last 5 or 6 times I have got a fountain drink at a C-store. A lot of places just don't seem to take care of their machines and refill them regularly. It seems like they don't care and that makes me mad!!

Mr Zabe
06-10-2006, 11:36 AM
I am asking a rather dumb question knowing that I consider you to be an expert in our beloved passion for soda pop drinking. Please do not get mad at me. OK LOLOLOLOL smile.gif

Are you letting the fountain bleed out for a few quick seconds? I always press the fountain for a count of 3 to make sure the syrup is infusing properly with the CO2 gas and water. If the soda pop does not appear to have the "normal" streaks of syrup and soda water (I look as I bleed the fountain) then I have a good idea that the soda pop will not be up to my standard.

I will switch flavors and hope that the "Zabe Test" passes or I will complain to the manager that the fountain is not operating properly.

I would rather drink a cold bottle of water than attempt to drink from a malfunctioning soda pop fountain. IMO....McDonalds,Buger King,Wendy's and Arby's have the best maintained and best quality soda pop fountains. IMO C-Stores soda pop fountains are very hit or miss quality wise.

[ 06-10-2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

iluvsurge220
06-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Yeah sometimes I do that but sometimes I can't tell. Sometimes i just get what i want and dont pay attention to that though. Maybe i should do that more often

David J.
07-01-2006, 01:43 AM
The 3 Wendy's in my are must be the only ones that serves Pepsi, but as I said before their Mountain Dew is great... just image when they switch to coke, they hopefully will have Vault and I can't wait for that.

Wendy's serving Coke is hard for me to fathom. The BK's in my area have awful, awful fountains. The Dr. Pepper was good awhile back, but is now too much carbnation that completely overpowers the flavor and is hard to drink.

Tons O' Fun
07-01-2006, 02:58 AM
I would kill for Taco Johns root beer

DGibb
07-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Coke from McDonald's is the best cola around, even though I am a Pepsi guy as of late. But nothing will win the root beer market like a true A&W Draft root beer. A close second there is Culver's fountain root beer.

Mr Zabe
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Very well said. I agree with you 100%. I'm a Pepsi man too but an ice cold Coke from McDonald's is oh so darn good!!!

I also have been drinking A&W as of late. I recall as a kid stopping at an A&W drive ins for frosty mugs of A&W. YUM

[ 07-01-2006, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Tone
07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
mountain dew baha blast from taco bell, and this KFC i go to by my work has this plain brand Fruit Punch, man that stuff is good i refill my cup till i gain 5 pounds, especially after a hot day where im bust my butt workin hard and sweating.

SURGE
07-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Just had a VAULT 44oz fountain from White Castle it was really tasty. But McD's seems to maintain good fountains the most often of the big chains.

Mr Zabe
07-16-2006, 07:18 PM
White Castle has Vault....I wonder if the Chicago White Castle resturants have it too? YUM

David J.
07-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Man, I really want to try fountain Vault. Not much longer! Any difference in taste?

So, I'm curious, why do most people bother with fountains at a C-store anyway? I personally just get a 20oz bottle or 1-liter if I can.

Mr Zabe
07-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Vaule,ice as desired and price.....for consumer.

Profit,Profit and more Profit.....for C-Store owner.

There is much greater profit with fountain drinks.

SURGE
07-16-2006, 09:52 PM
Based on my limited testing of one fountain (that had just been serviced) I find fountain VAULT to have less bite but a more "fruity" flavor. Its really good and clearly VAULT but it def. tastes different- much like SURGE did.

David J.
07-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Working at the BK Lounge has scared me from getting fountain drinks at a C-store, but I just adore fountain Mt. Dew.

I'm going to give it a shot while I'm out on the road next week. Or maybe tommorow because I'm VERY short on cash.

Tone
07-21-2006, 03:51 AM
orange gatorade xfactor from 7-11, first gatorade ive seen on tap and man is it good. i especially love the 64oz double gulp with lots of ice.

David J.
08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
OK, getting drinks at a C-store fountain was a new experence for me, so today as I was out driving out around town in my car, I stopped at the local Fastrac to give one a shot.

They proudly display "32 oz. Fountain Drinks for 69 Cents" So I went it and bought a Mountain Dew Code Red, and OMG it was so better than the last 20oz bottle I had recently. And yes Zabe, there where streaks of syrup and soda water right as I pressed the button, and it was oh so good and I wish I had another right now. :(

pitch_spice
08-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Baja Blast! I long for the day, if and when, Pepsi decides to put it in cans. Doubt it will happen, though.

mjb1124
08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
I noticed that fountain Diet Pepsi tastes a lot better than its canned/bottled counterpart, at least in my opinion. It's sweeter, but still not as sweet as regular Pepsi, and it doesn't have as much of an aftertaste. I'd also have to agree that Coke from McDonald's is superb.

And I might just make a run to my local White Castle to see if they have Vault. That would be awesome!

Mr Zabe
08-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Additional thoughts from a soda pop lush.LOL

It's funny. Just about every week I eat dinner at a local Greek dinner. They have a Pepsi fountain.
I swear that soda fountain must be some how blessed with holy syrup and holy carbonated CO2 water.LOL

The taste and mouth feel of the first (bottomless) to the final glass of Pepsi just blows me away. I drive my folks nuts as I always say,"That has to be the finest glass of fountain Pepsi I have ever tasted". It is. smile.gif

In general, if a can or bottle is super cold and poured over rinsed ice, then it will almost always hit the spot.

As for fountain drinks, our Greek dinner,McD's and Wendy's are my fountain sure soda pops.

[ 08-16-2006, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
my new favorite, : the fountain at the speedway gas station in beloit wisconsin next to the mega-walmart. it is HUGE, has sodas from pepsi, coke, and dpsu on it, and tastes real good... it even has vanilla coke! and another good thing is that any size fountain drink is 79 cents! hello 44oz cup!

Mr Zabe
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
Your lucky. The Speedway by my house is the pits.
They do not maintain the fountain. YECK

Fixx
08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Have you read the report from the high school student that did a survey on the fountain drinks with regards to the ice? She did a survey of the amount of "junk" in ice. Did the science experiment on it and then did a science experiment on her commode in her house. The commode was actually CLEANER than the ice at several fast food chains randomly done.

Sort of makes you want to roll through that Mickey D's, get a large cup/glass of soda with extra ice, doesnt it?

Later.

Mr Zabe
08-16-2006, 06:15 PM
McDs and some of the national fast food chains have highly effective water filtration systems for their soda pop fountains. I would not be so fast to let a kids science project stereotype the fast food soda pop's ice quality.

[ 08-16-2006, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

David J.
08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I can comment on the whole ice thing at the BK I work and and lemme tell you -- she is right in our case.

Mr Zabe
08-16-2006, 09:49 PM
David,
Just wondering could you describe some of the problems that you have with your local BK's ice.
I would like to learn more about what's going on.

Maybe you could "blow the whistle" and help get the problem fixed?

fusion
08-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
McDs and some of the national fast food chains have highly effective water filtration systems for their soda pop fountains. I would not be so fast to let a kids science project stereotype the fast food soda pop's ice quality. But is the water for the ice also ran through the same system?

The big problem with ice is the old way of producing it, with the big ice machines in the back, and then it's transported to the front and dumped into the fountains.

Those ice machines often have nasty stuff in them, and they are never cleaned. Not to mention the dirty buckets and such that are put into them.

The newer fountains with the overhead icemakers are inherently better.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-16-2006, 10:26 PM
at most of our local fast food stores, they have switched to using bagged ice and just dumping it in the top...

[ 08-16-2006, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]

Mr Zabe
08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
Rob,
That's a damn good idea. It saves a little on labor and keeps the fountain's ice consistant.
I have always enjoyed bagged ice,like at wild polka blow outs.LOL {Just a joke,I do like bagged ice. smile.gif )

[ 08-16-2006, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

David J.
08-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
David,
Just wondering could you describe some of the problems that you have with your local BK's ice.
I would like to learn more about what's going on.

Maybe you could "blow the whistle" and help get the problem fixed? Like Fusion mentioned, we use the OLD way of producing ice. There's a big machine in the back (that we replaced last year and it always acts up) that produces ice and we transport with buckets to either the dining room fountain or the drive thru fountain and they are not always cleaned good. If I take my time to clean them well -- I get yelled at because I am just told to rise them out. Last year we replaced our fountain during some construction. It does not have an icemaker, but sounds like it. FWIW, it happened during my last year of high school and people would moan to me about why we closed early. Argh!

The fountain where I work is VERY hit or miss and the selection is crap. BK, and my franchise company is very cheap and it is not likly this will get fixed anytime soon. I could mention how cheap they are, but it does not relate to this topic.

David J.
08-18-2006, 01:07 AM
I went back to the fastrac and saw they had Vanilla syrup you can add, so I got a coke instead of a Mt. Dew/Code Red, added the vanilla syrup, and OMG it was so good. Better than the offical stuff. Later that night I got a Code Red with Vanilla Syrup. OMG it was sooooo good. This was the one near my house... the one near where I work doesn't have the syrup or much else. :(

Rob, at that fountain do they have vanila coke, or just vanila syrup you can add to your coke?

Rob The SURGE Drinker
08-18-2006, 07:52 AM
its actual vanilla coke... i wish it was syrup, but beggars cant be choosers... i have bought some vanilla suryp at the grocery store and added it to coke and it was delicious...

Fixx
08-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Im not sure of the poster but what I read hit the nail on the head about the lack of cleaning of the ice makers and therefore the increased "extra ingredients" that make it into the ice happens which is exactly what was pointed out in this person's survey. Evidently she followed it up with anonymous interviews of personnel at the restaurants tested and they came out with the same issue that was brought up before about the lack of cleaning of the ice makers.

I havent tried to find the science project on the net yet but I will at some point and I will see if I can give the link. It, evidently, made national news on such newspapers as USA Today, etc....

Maybe some of those franchisees of the Wendy's, BK, McD's, etc...will take notice. I doubt it, but one can only hope.

Later.

mjb1124
08-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I get vanilla syrup with Coke sometimes at 7-Eleven and it's awesome.

And following up on a previous post: I've checked four different White Castle locations in central NJ, and there was no sign of Vault. However, I did notice that all of their fountains had "blank" taps, so maybe it's coming soon.

David J.
08-19-2006, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Fixx:
Im not sure of the poster but what I read hit the nail on the head about the lack of cleaning of the ice makers and therefore the increased "extra ingredients" that make it into the ice happens which is exactly what was pointed out in this person's survey. Evidently she followed it up with anonymous interviews of personnel at the restaurants tested and they came out with the same issue that was brought up before about the lack of cleaning of the ice makers.

I havent tried to find the science project on the net yet but I will at some point and I will see if I can give the link. It, evidently, made national news on such newspapers as USA Today, etc....

Maybe some of those franchisees of the Wendy's, BK, McD's, etc...will take notice. I doubt it, but one can only hope.

Later. They are too cheap to fix these problems. Fact is, Fast Food companies make a MASSIVE profit.

David J.
08-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Ruby Tuesday just came in to town, so I stopped in for some dinner, and the coke from their fountain was awesome.

And I saw Vanilla Coke in a Subway fountain at the mall.... so is it really gone?

Mr Zabe
08-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I had dinner at our regular dinner. I have posted before how much I enjoy drinking their fountain Pepsi.LOL This evening the fountain Pepsi' at this dinner was way,way,way....out of this world!!!!! Man was I a happy camper. smile.gif