PDA

View Full Version : Our tastebuds vs. BevNET's...

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-17-2005, 02:25 PM
BevNET's review for Coke Zero is now up. If you haven't read it, go do it.

They gave it a lukewarm response, which is not surprising. Granted, in terms of Coke's past diet sodas, it's a huge hit, but among the rest of the products out there, maybe not.

But BevNET doesn't like Coke products. I've read several reviews where they allude to Coca-cola and its products as very poor. They've also given poor reviews to Pepsi products.

It seems that quite a few mainstream products have been given poor reviews, while strange products that we've never seen(and probably will never see) get perfect scores and stellar ratings.

I'm not trying to imply anything, I've just been wondering how we, an active community of beverage enthusiasts, can enjoy the products very much, yet still see such bad ratings given by professionals.

We aren't exactly mindless consumers. We're pretty hardcore, and we know what we're talking about, at least to a certain degree.

But what irritates me even more is that these superior products are so independent and narrowly distributed that someone like me on the East Coast will never see some of these niche products that are only sold near their tiny distributing plants or maybe in some far-out espresso shop or neo-healthfood store in California.

Do we like Coke and Pepsi products only because we were raised on them? Are we a product of training, so that we like them because it's part of our youth? How is it that after trying new, exotic, and wonderful products, we can still come back to our "old friend" sodas, and BevNET cannot?

It's just something that's been racking my brain for a while. I'd like to hear what anyone has to say.

For the record, I'm not bashing BevNET. I love this place, and respect every review on the site.

jmyjunk
06-17-2005, 02:40 PM
Ehh. I do not take much stock in reviews in general. If its movie, food, electronics etc. People have diffrent prefences, and different experince that do not always jive with mine.

I am from Missouri (born and lived there for 24 years), and you have to Show ME.

By that I mean, I have to taste test it myself.

[ 06-17-2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

Mr Zabe
06-17-2005, 02:40 PM
We are a product of our seasoned experience of a multitude of brands and flavors. I doubt the members of this board (hard core lovers and consumers) are stuck on a brand due to some childhood imprinting.

I constantly challenge my taste buds, my perception of taste all the time. New flavors especially are given a full and open review. Not just with one can/bottle but with a 6 pack or even a 12 pack. I try the product ice cold and or more importantly over the rocks.

I evaluate not first impressions as those are not usually good indicators. I know that my method is not unique. I believe that we the members of this board have said that Coke Zero is a good to excellent addition to the zero carb soda pop category.

That being said, I will open a Coke Zero and chill. smile.gif

[ 06-17-2005, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SuperAmmo
06-17-2005, 03:14 PM
Ehh, look at it this way.

IGN nitpicks in certain reviews of games that the mainstream public otherwise finds spectacular.

Ditto with Star Wars fans who search for something to moan about instead of just enjoying themselves.

Bottom line: sit back and enjoy it. Don't listen to what other people think, trust your own taste buds.

Hollow Man
06-17-2005, 09:19 PM
BevNet's reviews are preposterous at times. They gave BAWLS Guaranexx (sugar free) a better rating than regular (5 stars (!) vs 4). But if you look at the text of the reviews, they said NOTHING bad about the regular. In fact, they said the sugar-free tastes close to the original! So if the original is the standard, how can it score lower? Do they give bonus stars to diet beverages that they feel are really good, since diet drinks are usually lousy?

And don't get me started about their really low SURGE rating...

-HM

Look In The Tunk
06-17-2005, 09:27 PM
They gave Odwalla Superfood this super great rating. I can't even get through a bottle of that stuff and I've tried three times.

But it seems that a few of my ****** friends love it as well, so different tastes I guess. Just wanted to share my 'bevnet shocked me' story.

mjb1124
06-17-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Hollow Man:
BevNet's reviews are preposterous at times. They gave BAWLS Guaranexx (sugar free) a better rating than regular (5 stars (!) vs 4). But if you look at the text of the reviews, they said NOTHING bad about the regular. In fact, they said the sugar-free tastes close to the original! So if the original is the standard, how can it score lower? Do they give bonus stars to diet beverages that they feel are really good, since diet drinks are usually lousy?
That actually makes sense to me. When someone makes a diet drink that rivals its sugared counterparts, it deserves some extra credit IMHO.

[ 06-17-2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Mountain Dew Or Crab Juice? ]

Hollow Man
06-17-2005, 11:14 PM
But they never said that it rivaled regular BAWLS.

-HM

drpep
06-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Lots of people like Moxie. I think it sucks, but that does not mean the folks who like it are wrong.

MD121310
06-18-2005, 12:29 AM
i too found it strange that Bevnet's reviews were so different from the user reviews. therefore, i usually disregard the "official" reviews, and go by the user reviews, since those cover a wider range of people, instead of one (or a few, i'm not sure)person working at bevnet. now i completely respect bevnet and their point of view, but i like to hear more people's opinions on things.

gecko
06-18-2005, 12:56 PM
i agree with all opinions stated, but also i think people are always programmed to like a particular brand or not like a particular brand, and there really are much, much better drinks than coke and pepsi products. thats really undeniable. i have seen stellar ratings on mediocre products, and the opposite, so i definitely agree bevnets reviews are a very loose guide.

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 06:41 PM
i have to admit, i'm pretty loyal to coke products. i almost made the switch to pepsi one (from diet coke) at one point, but... since diet coke is just easier to find... and because, for some reason, i have a stronger loyalty to coca-cola (it's what i grew up drinking)... i eventually went back to diet coke.

i guess coke zero has put some order back into the universe then, since it's a coke product, and the best tasting... in my opinion. smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 06:45 PM
also... for example... when Edge and C2 both came out... i never even bothered to try Edge... since i assumed it'd taste like pepsi... and i like classic better. and, so... just started drinking C2.

i guess it's possible i might've liked Edge better... but, because of "brand loyalty" (and b/c i just like classic better)... i'll never know. especially now that Edge has been discontinued. although... i may pick up a bottle, just out of curiousity... since i know it's going away.

anyway... my point is... brand loyalty is very important. it's why coke and pepsi try so hard to get to young people. if they start drinking coke in school... they'll probably drink diet coke when they go on a diet. see? (that's not really a question... i know it's obvious). LOL

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Pepsi Edge is disgusting.

Anita, I agree with you about Superfood. It tastes like seaweed.

And I love sushi. But I hate Superfood.