PDA

View Full Version : BevNet's review of Zero... do you agree?

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 02:39 AM
hear's BevNet's review of Coke Zero:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a107/empirestatebuddy/coolzerobottle.jpg

2.5 stars (out of 5)

Coca-Cola Zero presents a stunningly accurate diet analog to its mother company’s core Coca-Cola Classic brand. There’s still a giveaway undertone of artificiality in its aftertaste, but the flavor wizards at Coke have definitely found a way to replicate most of Coke Classic’s trademark spice notes. The artificiality presents itself in the same way as it does in Diet Coke – as a watery, overly sweet, chemical finish – but it’s not as strong in Coca-Cola Zero, because the spice notes drown out and nullify much of the Aspartame/Ace-K blend’s negative qualities. Like Coke Classic, Coca-Cola Zero suffers in comparison to the taste of some of the premier sodas reviewed by BevNET, and we don’t like its mostly white and black labeling, which, although supposedly meant to appeal to young men, simply looks like the printers at the factory ran low on red ink. But it’s definitely worth a try. “Coke Heads” will likely love it; those who don’t care for the original stuff will have no reason to flock to it. Nevertheless, there’s a good chance it will help Coke shore up the market share its core brand is losing to diet consciousness.

[ 06-18-2005, 07:37 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 02:41 AM
i agree with most of what they say about taste... but i'd give Zero a much higher score. it's definitely the best tasting diet cola i've ever had... and i'd say that it's got about 85% of Coke Classic's flavor. so, i'd give it an 85 out of 100. smile.gif

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 02:48 AM
oh... and as for packaging. hmm. i think it's "typical" for coca-cola, but, yeah... a little boring.

i think it'd look better if "zero" was BIGGER... and the coca-cola smaller... since everyone's going to call it "zero" anyway. also, i think a black label (or dark silver)... with silver/white "zero" and red "coca-cola" would've been "cool"... and still appealed to males. smile.gif

[ 06-18-2005, 04:45 AM: Message edited by: Empire State Buddy ]

Mr Zabe
06-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Are you talking to yourself again. LOL

Great picture....have you seen this bottle on the East coast? I have yet to see it in the Midwest.

[ 06-18-2005, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 07:09 AM
no. i just did a search... and that pic came up. i thought it was cool, so i posted it.

i've never seen a coke bottle painted in that way before. have u?

Mr Zabe
06-18-2005, 07:19 AM
I have not seen a bottle for coke products like that either. Pretty sleek looking for sure.

Empire State Buddy
06-18-2005, 11:07 AM
definitely a collector's item.

The Interpreter
06-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I don't think people will just call it Zero. If they do, Coke has a problem that Hersheyfoods may be calling about:

http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/zero.asp

Don't forget, there is also Sprite Zero out there (which I think was to accustom regular diet users into at Coke the word Zero means diet...while not trumpeting Diet to non-traditional diet beverage consumers...such as teen males.

ramonazo
06-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Honestly, I don't like the reviews that bevnet page makes about Coca-Cola products, they're always negative: that the labeling is boring, that the flavor or aftertaste flavor is not good, that is too artificial, etc.

For me the graphics are so good, but to give my opinion about the flavor I have to wait until the end of the year...

I hope that the Bevnet guys don't get me out of here for saying this, but that's what I think...

[ 06-20-2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: ramonazo ]

fusion
06-20-2005, 01:07 AM
The bottle was a limited run -- 24 were ran, and 6 were part of that big Ebay auction. I guess the other 18 ended up in the hands of big Coke execs.

Acheron
06-20-2005, 11:39 AM
I strongly disagree with the sentiment that the packaging is boring. IMO Coke Zero has the best graphics of any mass market beverage right now. The fridgepacks just stick out like a sore thumb and draw your eyes to their high-contrast graphics.

ColaFan
06-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Still tastes very "artificial". Too bad they could not get the full flavor using Splenda instead of aspartame. I agree with the review.

mjb1124
06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
I like the packaging a lot - and besides, I'm not sure if I agree that packaging should be a factor in the rating of a soda.

EnergyKing
06-20-2005, 07:08 PM
I myself really like it. The aftertaste is not bad. It has a TAB taste to me, not a real major Diet taste to it. KUDOS to COKE on this one. Because of this I am now converting to Diet soda AKA Coke Zero. If it were splenda it would be Diety and cramp our stomachs.

The Interpreter
06-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Amen.

Please understand the rest of you...there are several of us who do NOT want Splenda. PERIOD>

I don't like what it does to me. I don't like the way it tastes. I like NOTHING about it.

They have now ruined Diet 7Up for me.

I think Coke was wise to NOT put Splenda in Coca-Cola Zero.

Besides, there are severe capacity restraints. It isn't available for just anyone who wants to pay for it.

Mr Zabe
06-20-2005, 10:15 PM
The Interpreter,
Super Mega Dittos (or was that Doretos LOL) !!!!!!
Well said. smile.gif

Zabe

[ 06-20-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

ecliptic
06-21-2005, 02:39 AM
I wish they would have used Splenda.

Splenda makes diet 7up good. It used to taste like something straight out of a chemistry lab.

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 03:39 AM
it's pretty obvious that different artificial sweeteners taste differently to different people (as well as have different "effects" on their stomachs).

diet coke w/ splenda is likely to be very successful (from early reports) and will eventually (maybe) replace regular diet coke. and coke zero will be coke's aspartame brand. it's a smart move by coke.

pepsi sort of did the opposite, and put splenda in their newer, less popular diet drink, pepsi one, and the results don't seem to be as impressive. but it's still early.

TaB
06-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Empire State Buddy:
it's pretty obvious that different artificial sweeteners taste differently to different people (as well as have different "effects" on their stomachs).

diet coke w/ splenda is likely to be very successful (from early reports) and will eventually (maybe) replace regular diet coke. and coke zero will be coke's aspartame brand. it's a smart move by coke.

pepsi sort of did the opposite, and put splenda in their newer, less popular diet drink, pepsi one, and the results don't seem to be as impressive. but it's still early. I don't think that is going to happen.

You don't try to secretly replace the forumla of the #3 drink in the world. =)

I know everyone that is hard core diet coke drinker I've talked to absolutely HATES DC w/splenda.

billygtexas
06-21-2005, 10:59 AM
One thing that annoys me about many BevNet reviews is some reviewers pay more attention to the packaging and marketing than the taste. The rating should be devoted totally to how good the soda tastes. Or maybe there should be two ratings - one for packaging, the other for taste.

I would have given it a solid 4 (out of 5) - it's not perfect, but Coke Zero is the smoothest tasting diet cola I have ever drank so far. I just hope Coke gives it a good push unlike C2.

BTW what are the "premier sodas"?

[ 06-22-2005, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: billygtexas ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 11:37 AM
When they say premier sodas, I think they're talking about the drinks that get the highest reviews on the site(which include several diet offerings).

Unfortunately, like I mentioned in a recent thread, BevNET's perfect scores tend to go to products we've never heard of, and are next-to-impossible to find.

Sucks for us, I guess.

It doesn't matter. Coke Zero is a 9.0 out of 10 for me, and that's not just a diet drink scale.

Mr Zabe
06-21-2005, 11:51 AM
As I have said before, Coke Zero is probably the most innovative new main stream diet/no carb soda pop that tastes nearly 95% close to it's sugar big brother.

The soda pop industry will look back in history and view Coke Zero as a bench mark in the diet/no carb soda pop category.

I challenge all diet soda pop drinkers to pour a can of Coke Zero over ice and see for yourself.

[ 06-21-2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
06-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd like to highlight Zabe's post...

USE ICE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

:D

Robot
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
i'd give coke zero a 9.9/10 at this point....

Empire State Buddy
06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
As I have said before, Coke Zero is probably the most innovative new main stream diet/no carb soda pop that tastes nearly 95% close to it's sugar big brother.

The soda pop industry will look back in history and view Coke Zero as a bench mark in the diet/no carb soda pop category.

I challenge all diet soda pop drinkers to pour a can of Coke Zero over ice and see for yourself. coke zero is definitely the best diet cola i've tasted so far... it's got more cola taste, and less after taste than the others (even the splenda sweetened colas).

also, it definitely improves over ice. i poured a cold one over ice this morning and... could barely tell it was diet.

overall, i'd give it an 8.5 (when compared to regular coke) and i'd give C2 a 9.0 (sugar makes a difference). still, when you consider that i give regular diet coke a 6.5 and the splenda version a 7. it's still a huge improvement.