PDA

View Full Version : Beverage Distributor

Xander
08-07-2003, 03:35 PM
I am in the early stages of starting a beer and soda distributor(I am not opposed to buying an existing one).
Can someone with experience give me a real veteran idea of do's and dont's?

Thanks David

the saint
08-08-2003, 04:48 PM
yeah, here is a veterans opinion, if you want to keep your money ( you are not opposed to buying one) DON'T

Xander
08-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Can you give me a little bit more insight than that?
Is it because the margins are no longer what they used to be?
Do you think that the business in OK could be a lot different than NY?

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-22-2003, 10:05 PM
beer in ok is a lot difffferent than in nv. for starters, look at your drinking rules. some places you can only serve 3.2 beer cold in c-stores. all other percents all have to be sold warm in case form. that's a lot more product to carry, even if you're strictly bud or miller or coors.

sticking to one brand or portfolio is also advised. straight miller or bud houses usually have the best results. somepeople are real good at making a variable house work. at my distributor (i don't own it or anything) we have several MAJOR brands, including miller, coors, labatt, molson, heineken and corona. not to mention guiness, rolling rock and pabst brewing.

doing multiple promos for each company or making sure that your distributor can lock up displays for all of your clients can get tricky.

matador
09-19-2003, 06:46 PM
You are going to get mostly negative responses from most people on this site, so my advice is DON'T take most of it seriously.

However, there are also guys of substance (like RunWithDaLilGuy) and some decent info posted that make it worthwhile to check in here periodically.

It won't be easy, but if you hustle you should be able to carve out a decent business.

Good luck.

scully
09-29-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah your not kidding, Im new to the biz myself, and I can't believe the stuff I'm reading on this site.

How much of this stuff is true? and, How much of it is Bull*@#%^? I know one thing, I won't be taking any of it to seriously. :rolleyes: