PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship needed...

Randolph Ferguson
10-14-2003, 10:45 AM
To Whom It May Concern,

My name is Randolph Ferguson. I am a 17 Shifter Kart racer from Encinitas, California. I have been racing since the age of 10 and am now working diligently on securing a position in innaugural 2004 Formula BMW USA series, which will be run in conjunction with selected televised, CART (Champ Car) events. These events are seen by millions worldwide. This prestigious series, will operated and managed by BMW of North America and will be a great avenue for companies seeking to gain national, as well as international recognition for their products and services, through motorsports. In order to make this happen, I am seeking financial support from companies in the California corporate arena. I need to raise $20,000.oo for the series registration in January. In addition, there will be a scholarship/licensing course to be held in Valencia, Spain which will cost $3,200.00, where six drivers will be awarded a $40,000.oo scholarship each, towards the 2004 series. To date, I have spoken with two BMW dealers in the Southern California area that show a great interest in being a part of my program. Through the guidance of my good friends and Factory BMW drivers, Bill Auberlen and Boris Said, I am confident that this can become a reality. And with your help, I can get closer to succeeding at my goal. If you feel that this program is something that your company may want to be involved in, please feel free to contact me via e-mail, or by phone. Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,
Randolph Ferguson
RFMotorsports@cox.net
(telephone available upon request)

I am adding a brief racing resume which list some of my accomplishments in karting during the past 6 years as well as some brief information on the Formula BMW sreies.

Randolph Ferguson
2003 ALPHA Racing USA Team Driver, Randolph Ferguson #43
125 ICC Shifter & 125 National Cup T.a.G.

Invitee to compete in the '04 French 125 ICC Championships as a Team driver for the French ALPHA factory
'03 King Taco Open @ California Speedway, 125 ICC Champion, ( event fast time, started from 26th position)
'03 IKF Region 11 (Nor-Cal) 2nd place "125 National Cup", (after missing three events), 1 pole, 1 win, 1 track record, 4 podium finishes.
'03 Track record, Infineon (Sears Point) Kart Track, 125 National Cup
'02 Champion Runner-up, 125 S-1, SKUSA Mission Region
(2 wins,3 poles, 6 podiums, 1 track record)
'01 SKUSA Super Nationals, 125 S-2 Off-Pole qualifier (Taken out on last lap while in the lead).
'01 Champion Runner-up & 125 Rookie of the Year, 125 S-2, SKUSA Mission Region
(4 wins, 5 poles, 6 podiums, 1 track record)
'01 California Jr. 125 State Champion (pole, fast time)
'01 Champion, 125 S-2, ShifterKartsUSA! Series (7 wins, 6 poles)
'00 3rd Place, 80 Jr., SKUSA Mission Region
'99 2nd place, Rookie of the Year, 80 Jr., IKF Southwest Gearbox Series
'98 SDKA Rookie of the Year (Jr.1)

Now 17, Randolph started racing karts at the age of ten, when Jon Long (father of American Patrick Long) bought Randolph his first kart. Within one year, he was a fixture on the SSC/CRG Team as a Jr. 1 driver and racking up the wins. As a Jr. driver, he was one of the very first drivers in the country to have the opportunity to race the Kawasaki 60 Shifter as part of the class development program, and is still featured in Kawasaki's 2-stroke engine catalog, racing his 60 at the SKUSA Super Nationals in Las Vegas.

Randolph has driven numerous types of karts, from the Jr. 1 Cadets as a youngster, up to the ultra fast, 150 mph 250cc Super Karts, where he won his first race at "Big Willow" at Willow Springs International Raceway, lapping up through 3rd place in a 23 kart field. He was subsequently banned from 250 competition for 3 years as he was only 15 at the time (Oops!). As his Karting career comes closer to it's end, Randolph is now looking towards opportunities that will allow him to move up into fullsize racecars. With Road Racing in his blood, it is only natural that he is focusing on a driving career in Motorsport. Touring Cars, Trans-Am, and ultimately the upper echelons of Open Wheel or Prototypes...this is the path that he has set for his goal. There have been many generous people who been there to help Randolph along the way, and with a little luck, there faith in Randolph's abilities will be rewarded.

In addition, Randolph is also a National Teen Spokesperson for Kathy Ireland's "Athletes and Entertainers for Kids", donating his time every year at Christmas time, sponsoring a booth where under-privileged children in the Los Angeles area can decorate "Race-car" Christmas tree ornaments.

Formula BMW

BMW announced at the United States Grand Prix in Indianapolis that it will launch an American division of its “Formula BMW” junior single-seater racing series in the USA, with the aim of developing American driving talent for Formula 1.

The category has been racing in Germany for several years, and recently was launched in Britain as well. BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said that details of the U.S. series would be forthcoming soon.

"We will be revealing details in the next few weeks," Theissen said at Indianapolis. "It will be a junior series aimed at 15, 16 and 17-year-olds coming out of karting."

However, both Theissen and his opposite number at Mercedes-Benz, Norbert Haug, stressed that the Formula BMW series can only provide “basic training” and that young US drivers hoping to make the grade in F1 should then pursue a single-seater career in Europe, most likely in F3 and F3000.

"I do think it would be a very positive thing for F1 to have an American driver," Haug said, "but the IRL is a very different sort of racing and it is not likely that a driver would do Indy Lights [sic, presumably a reference to the IRL’s Infiniti Pro Series] and IRL before going to F1. I think they still need to experience the European scene, but there is no doubting the importance of the U.S. market to us.

"It is the second-most important market for us and obviously having an American driver would raise the recognition and profile of F1 in the USA."

America has not had a Formula 1 driver since Mario Andretti’s son Michael endured a star-crossed season with McLaren in 1993.

Engine Type Four-stroke in-line 4-cylinder from the BMW motorcycle K 1200RS
Number of valves 16
Output approx. 140 bhp
Max. engine speed 9250 rpm
Max. torque 120 Nm at 7100 rpm
Displacement 1171 ccm
Fuel tank approx. 70 litres, FIA FT 3-norm
Exhaust system High-performance header, closed-loop 3-way catalytic converter
Weight 61.0 kg
Engine management Bosch Motronic
Fuel Premium plus (98 RON)
Gearbox Manufacturer/designation HEWLAND FTR 200
Type Sequential longitudinal gearbox
Housing Aluminium
Gears Six gears plus reverse gear
Differential Multiple disc
Clutch SACHSsingle-disc dry clutch
Monocoque Type Carbon fibre / Kevlar
Safety standard/dimensions FIA Formula 3 2002
Crash structures Crash box at front and rear, steel roll bars
Seat shell Carbon composite, removable safety seat with independent belt system, additional insertable head bar
Chassis Wheel suspension, front Double wishbone with push rod, aerodynamically profiled, two wheel holder cables

Wheel suspension, rear Double wishbone with push rod, aerodynamically profiled, one wheel holder cable
Shock absorbers SACHS SP 3two-level adjustable in compression and rebound, mono damper at front, two dampers at rear
Springs EIBACH
Wheels OZ RACINGaluminium, single-section central attachment, 8x13” at front, 10x13” at rear
Tyres MICHELIN180/13 at front,230/13 at rear
Brake ALCON disc brake, floating, 2-piston calliper, adjustable brake force distribution
Steering Rack and pinion steering with safety steering column
Aerodynamics Front wing Single profile with adjustable additional flap
Rear wing Single profile at bottom, double profile at top, adjustable
Underbody Step-shaped, three sections
Data recording 2D Datarecording
Displays Integrated in steering wheel, four displays, gear display, nine LED gearshift panel
Vehicle dimensions Length 3966 mm
Width 1695 mm
Height 980 mm
Track, front 1515 mm
Track, rear 1465 mm
Total weight < 460 kg
Inclusive price 45,000 Euro