PDA

View Full Version : need to know do market analysis on beverage product

rajagursahani
10-26-2006, 12:17 AM
i am working on a rebranding campaign and need market analysis informatoin for capri sun. they are a very private company but could use comparable data from another competitor. specifiaclly need to know if entered into the adult beverage market where would they fit in that scheme.

[ 10-25-2006, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: rajagursahani ]

greg
10-26-2006, 11:05 AM
Your post is confusing. You say you are doing a rebranding campaign......Wouldn't that be Capri Suns job? Morover, you say "how would it (Capri Sun) fit into the Adult Beverage market?
I assume, by saying entering into the Adult Market, that you will be mixing alcohol with your product, am I correct? If this is the case look to wine companies for more information. There are compoanies that have adult beverages packaged in Capri Sun type pouches that mix wine with their concoctions. Also Think "Mikes Hard Lemonade" Brands. They have done an excellant job of making an impact on the adult market with "soft alcohol drinks"

rajagursahani
10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
well i am doing a hypothetical rebranding campaign for capri sun. i am using capri sun as a model for our beverage company. i am new to this and recently been assigned this assignment. well the point is capri sun is currently found in the koolaid aisle of a grocery store correct? and then you have lets say a 20oz adult version. would that be still be wise to put it in the juice aisle. i think so!!! so technically would it be now considered in the adult juice beverage market or would be in the kids juice market.

greg
10-26-2006, 01:28 PM
So you are working on a larger size but same basic product? i.e. a 20oz version of the Capri Sun but marketed to Adults. The juice aisle has many different sub sections. The Sports drink section is one that is more for adults and teens while juices like Apple Juice and Cranberry , White Grape, etc can go either way. I don't see the market for a 20 oz Capri Sun type drink for adults unless it is posiitined as some type of Nutraceutical or Vitamin Enhanced type drink. It has to have some purposeful functionality to it for an adult to want to buy it. Just a larger version of a kids drink won't fly.IMO

Mr Zabe
10-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Ditto
Content over container for adult drinks
(especially sugar sweeten fruit drinks in a pouch). IMO Pouch containers even with spout tops are clumsy to use and are not easily merchandised for single unit C-Store sales.

[ 10-26-2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

rajagursahani
10-26-2006, 08:03 PM
but market research dictates that this is what is wanted so who cares. the point is they want a bigger version and that is what is needed for sure. so we can put it in the kids juice aisle but it will be marketed for adults.

rajagursahani
10-26-2006, 08:04 PM
how do you start the analysis that is all i am wondering where do you star please for market research without having to pay an arm and a leg.

greg
10-26-2006, 09:55 PM
You said yourself that the market research dictates that this is what is wanted so why don't you start there? Take the information you gathered from your market research and use that to develop branding and marketing strategies.
However, I have to ask....Why do you think it is a good idea to put a drink that is going to be marketed to adults in the kids section of the juice aisle? Isn't that like trying to sell jeans in the bathing suit department? It just doesn't make since. Forgive my sexism, but when moms are going down the juice aisle picking out capri suns and juice boxes for their kids how exactly are going to get them to switch gears to think about an adult beverage? Grocery stores and super markets go to great lengths to have professional psycholoigist help them in laying out their stores. Go through your local Chain grocery store and notice how the Adult type merchandise is with other like items and vice versa. All the kids merchandise(other than those cheap toys) are usually located within 3 aisles of each other while adult type products(food) are placed together.

Fixx
11-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I have to agree with Greg on this one. First off, making an "adult" product with the Capri Sun name on it is ludicrous. What you get is mom or kids seeing the name and thinking it is for them and drinking it.
Remember your audience.....

Then you would put this product in the juice aisle so mom can grab it thinking it is for junior or worse yet, you have the kid grab it and take it to mom because it has the Capri Sun name on it.

Keep like items alike and I understand your "concept" of cross merchandising but that doesnt fit.

Later

Christian Prickett
12-08-2006, 02:19 PM
rajagursahani,

I get your point about putting adult drinks next to kids drinks so that Mom's may see it getting their kids drinks. The jeans in the bathing suit is a good example of what your looking at. If it's an adult beverage, why isn't it in the adult beverage section?

Besides when you sell the beverage to a grocer, they select product placement. How would you feel if I told you that you had to put my product where I wanted it instead of where you want it? Wouldn't it be the start of venders placing their product in the front windows if given the choice of product placement? As a beverage manufacture you only can say how the drink tastes, looks, and is sold to the venders. Venders can decide store product placement.

Hope this helps,

Christian

rackitup
12-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Christian Prickett:
rajagursahani,

I get your point about putting adult drinks next to kids drinks so that Mom's may see it getting their kids drinks. The jeans in the bathing suit is a good example of what your looking at. If it's an adult beverage, why isn't it in the adult beverage section?

Besides when you sell the beverage to a grocer, they select product placement. How would you feel if I told you that you had to put my product where I wanted it instead of where you want it? Wouldn't it be the start of venders placing their product in the front windows if given the choice of product placement? As a beverage manufacture you only can say how the drink tastes, looks, and is sold to the venders. Venders can decide store product placement.

Hope this helps,

Christian I agree W/Christianprickett, retailers do not always place you're item in the category/section you want.

I worked for Lipton/Unilever writing schematics and the retailers often had different ideas of product placement.