PDA

View Full Version : Bottling 101

xavian
12-21-2006, 02:02 PM
Greetings,

I'm new to the board and the bev market. I've got a beverage idea and would like to create a prototype. Do I approach the bottler/distributor before approaching the flavor houses?

What the best practice? Also, I'd like to bottle my concept in a style like VOSS water. Can anyone recommend a bottler for this?

Many thanks...

greg
12-21-2006, 02:17 PM
The concept is done so now you have to make it a prototype. Take your concept and shop around to some contract manufacturers. They will charge you for this, usually a small fee, for making a few cases of your drink. From there you can tweek it as you like , but keep in mind it will cost you so be as close as possible on the first try. Once you get your prototype finalized then they will be able to help with the flavoring compounds on a large scale as well as raw materials. Keep in mind, if yuo are not bottling it yourself you may have to give up some of the ingredient profile due to limitations in the contract manufacturer capabilities.
Try BALL glass company. Also, do a search for "glass bottle manufacturers" and you will be amazed at what comes up. If you can imagine it they can make it.

xavian
12-21-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. When you say "contract manufacturers", are you referring to the flavor houses? If so, is "contract manufacturer" the official name for a flavoring business? It's a very generic name and will be difficult to find in google.

Is there a resource you know of that lists/reviews flavor houses?

Thanks again...

NRGSLLR@
12-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Have you tried the Directory at the top of the Page?

NRGSLLR@
12-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Do you have the bottle or are you looking for one?

Paul's Beverages
12-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Paul's Beverages has produced quality soft drinks since 1929. We are located in Western Pennsylvania, an hour north of Pittsburgh. Our company produces all carbonated soft drinks in PET. We manufacture packages in 8, 12, 16.9, 20 and 24 ounce sizes in addition to 1 and 2 liters. We have assisted some of our customers in designing proprietary PET bottles and label designs. Private labeling and contract packaging is also available. We have the ability to help start-up beverage companies with 8 pallets minimum per flavor. Jim

greg
12-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by xavian:
Thanks for the reply. When you say "contract manufacturers", are you referring to the flavor houses? If so, is "contract manufacturer" the official name for a flavoring business? It's a very generic name and will be difficult to find in google.

Is there a resource you know of that lists/reviews flavor houses?

Thanks again... A contract manufacturer is someone that takes your ingredient profile and makes your drink for you in volume. You will have to have to ship bottles to them if you wish to use a "designer" bottle. Once it is packaged they will usually send it directly to one of your warehouse for you. This is the cheapest way to go. Some, for a fee of course will drop ship the product to your customers for you if you have eneough volume.
As NRGSLLR said check the "classifeids" section and you should find all the info you need on Contract manufactures, raw amterial suppliers, bottle suppliers, and flavor engineers.

xavian
12-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the advice Greg!

Christian Prickett
01-02-2007, 02:52 PM
My company works in developing custom packages as well as supplying stock packages to companies like Carrage House, King Juice, and small independant fillers. Email me if interested in talking about packaging.

wonkapete
02-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I contacted O-I for a quote on a prototype bottle. They said their prototypes begin at $75,000. That's simply not fair to the little man.

Christian Prickett
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
I contacted O-I for a quote on a prototype bottle. They said their prototypes begin at $75,000. That's simply not fair to the little man.

That's why people turn to packaging distributors. We can source molds for about $5000 to $7000 a cavity. O-I is working with Budweiser, Coors, and Snapple. Their intrests are not with the startup company.

Coca-cola is so big that they make their own bottles and don't even look for plastic sourcing.

Caspal
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM

Itís perfectly normal OI like many other (North American manufacturer) are only working on big projects now!

But my company can help you!

Bienvenue / Welcome - United Bottles.com (http://www.unitedbottles.com)
Call me 450-622-1600
ext. 243

-Pascal

xavian
06-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Did you ever find someone reasonable to design your package?

xavian
06-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Did you ever find someone to help you? Can you recommend a bottle designer?