PDA

View Full Version : SURGE, WHERE IS IT?!?!?!?!?

surgefeedtherush
06-22-2001, 06:00 PM
I wanna know where I can buy SURGE, and in what sizes. Everybody PLEASE help!!!!

Thanks
-Avery

bwtucker
06-24-2001, 08:02 PM
In my area its only available in a few fountains.

dr pepperman
07-02-2001, 10:10 PM
It is nowhere to be seen between NY and SC.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.
I am not affiliated with any beverage company!!

sodasommelier
07-03-2001, 10:53 AM
It's totally gone in LA; a few months ago I saw a gardener's pickup truck using a Surge cylindrical cooler to store his various rakes etc.; that could only mean the product has been pulled (or the gardener swiped it from a 7-11; but I think the latter is the case). Yes latter, not ladder!! (although he had one of those as well; too big to fit in the SURGE cooler)!!!

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

PhillyCoke
07-03-2001, 06:31 PM
I can thankfully say that it is not available in New Jersey, southeastern Pennsylvania, or northern Delaware.

Nobody even asks about it anymore.

GrapeCrush
07-04-2001, 03:20 PM
Somebody of fairly high authority said to me that the brand was discontinued. I tend to believe that. It waqs certainly better than Mountain Dew, IMHO, but that's not necessarily saying much.

Cory

surgefeedtherush
07-05-2001, 07:37 PM
Is SURGE really dead? Is it ANYWHERE?

-Avery

dr pepperman
07-25-2001, 09:34 PM
A grocery store just south of Erie, PA has 12 packs of Surge, the only store of a 10 store tour that I saw it in.
Talked to a delivery guy from Coke later that day and he said he has not seen the 20oz singles for several months but has loaded 12 pack cans on his truck. I bet the depot is just getting rid of stock. Most stores were well stocked with Mello Yello.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

dlhancock
07-26-2001, 04:08 AM
Still available in Atlanta at retail and in vending machines.

dr pepperman
07-31-2001, 10:00 PM
The closer I get to Erie the more Surge I see.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

malvado
08-17-2001, 08:29 PM
i was at my local 7-11 today and they've replaced the mountain dew slurpee with the surge slurpee!!

surgefeedtherush
08-18-2001, 04:50 AM
Surge Slurpie sounds awesome! So i assume the still sell Surge in San Diego?

-Avery

xJABBERWOCKx
08-19-2001, 01:00 AM
Eh, Sonny? Ah, yes, Surge...I remember that soda of detergentlike taste...long gone, my lad. "The Onion" ran a funny article named "Mountain Dew users go on to use harder beverages" and Surge was listed...you might want to go to the onion site and check it out to reminisce or whatever. Anyway, it's pretty much history, at least in NJ, IL, and everywhere else I've rambled.

karks88
10-08-2001, 04:53 PM
I live in PA and I've been told that it's only available in 20oz bottles and it looks like the local bottler is going to discontinue it soon http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/frown.gif Hopefully, there will be some place to buy it online. One place I've written to about selling Surge is www.thinkgeek.com (http://www.thinkgeek.com) because they have a big selection of caffine drinks.

dr pepperman
10-24-2001, 11:27 PM
The Fuddruckers at the Potomac Mills Mall in Dale City, Va has it as a fountian selection and I saw it in one grocery store in that area, can not remember which store though.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

[This message has been edited by dr pepperman (edited 10-25-2001).]

dr pepperman
10-27-2001, 02:30 PM
Around Harrisburg, PA I saw Surge in several stores along Rt 15,mainly Sheetz. It looked to me when the current shelf stock ran out it would not be replaced with more Surge. Get it while you can.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

karks88
11-01-2001, 03:58 PM
Thanks so much dr pepperman! Unfortunately, Sheetz has now stopped stocking Surge. It looks like they replaced it with Squirt.

I did get a local Distributor to order it special for me. It just came in last week. All I can get are cases of 20oz. bottles. I spoke with my local bottler and they said they will stop producing those soon, too.

I wrote to Coke and they denied that they weren't producing the syrup anymore. They said it all has to do with local bottlers. So, if I could just find a bottler that is still producing it I would be set for life http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif I know a lot of people aren't into it, but Surge is my favorite drink and in this age of getting everything on demand, it shouldn't be so hard just to find some soda!

Terry K
11-10-2001, 08:34 PM
In Western KY, I found it at the Kroger in Morehead, and in Lexington. Available in 12 packs, and was recently spotted at the Hy-Vee locations in Kansas City.

dr pepperman
11-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Giant in Williamsport, Pa has it. Lowes Great Valu in Clarkstown near Williamsport has some ,although its mixed in with the Mello Yello. They also have a Surge vending machine out front with a Mello Yello button instead of a Surge buton. Wiiliamsport Sheetz also has it.for the time being. None at Wegmans or Weis. Get it while you can.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

[This message has been edited by dr pepperman (edited 11-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by dr pepperman (edited 11-12-2001).]

Sodalover
11-12-2001, 10:06 PM
?

karks88
11-12-2001, 10:20 PM
Thanks much dr pepperman!

I found 20 oz bottles in Harrisburg at the Progress Ave. 7-11. Also, a local delivery service in northern NJ but they won't deliver outside their local area. They sell in cans and 20 oz bottles.

If anyone knows of a place who will ship to PA, please let me know!

surgefeedtherush
12-01-2001, 09:28 PM
My hope is that Coke will not discontinue it and when their current obsession with Mello Yello dies it will have a sort of rebirth or atleast in some areas. It seems foolish to me that Coke is trying to revive Mello Yello its been around for soo long and never been popular. Atleast Surge had some popularity once. If Coke wants to fight Dew they are gonna need more than Yello.

-Avery

karks88
12-02-2001, 09:12 PM
It seems like a lot of what Coke does makes no sense. Surge the product shouldn't die just because Coke couldn't market it properly. It's a good product and I've always believed that a good product can come through in the end. All Surge needs is another chance. If Coke promotes it in a more intelligent manner, they can make up some of that lost market share. They are never going to beat Mountain Dew, but at least they won't be a laughing stock.

dlhancock
12-03-2001, 09:59 AM
Although I am not a fan of Surge (or Mello Yello or Moutain Dew for that matter...I'll stick with Sun Drop), I doubt that the geniuses at Coca Cola will retreat from THEIR retreat on this product anytime soon. Your best hopes will be that they don't formally kill it off and maybe, just MAYBE, reintroduce it down the road. Coca Cola has had no direction for several years now. The stock price is languishing. New product introductions have been truly uninspired. In fact, the "huge" profits of just a few years ago were largely due to "one-time only" bookings of sales of assets (interests in bottlings operations) and NOT the result of sustained case sale profits. Their missteps over the years have seen customer satisfaction erode even as they notched themselves up on the percentage of soft drink-drinks market share. Remember Fanta? They took a modestly successful product line in the U.S. and dumped it in favor of their Minute Maid brand name as the stable for fruity drinks. In the process of doing that they created brand confusion in the U.S. as the relatively respected Minute Maid name was cheapened/confused by associating it with candy-flavored sugar water rather than REAL juice or juice-based products. Now they reintroduce the line in the U.S. ostensibly to target underserved customers (Hispanics) and in the process confuse the customer base further. Well the story goes on...

And as to the belief that the best or at least superior products prevail. I wish it were so. But if that were the case we would never have had some of those crappy U.S. (and some foreign) cars back in the 70s and 80s that seemed to proliferate. We might also have seen the Sony Beta format of VCR prevail, which was praised by many as superior to VHS, yet which failed largely because of disastrous technology licensing decisions by Sony. The Apple OS computing devices might also have trounced PCs, again if so many missteps had not been made, and are STILL being made today. We might also have seen soft-pack orange juice concentrate still around if the producers had effectively marketed and distributed the product to a public that ACTUALLY liked the product and WANTED it. Remember, Proctor and Gamble took control of a well-respected refrigerated orange juice line (Citrus Hill) and drove it into the dirt. There are countless examples of superior or respected products that did not survive, whether for reasons of marketing failure, unprofitability, lack of direction /commitment, etc.

[This message has been edited by dlhancock (edited 12-04-2001).]

surgefeedtherush
12-03-2001, 08:44 PM
I agree with Karks SURGE was so poorly marketed it made me cry. If Coke had not just gone on sprees and had a more consistent more intelligent ad campaine SURGE would still be doing fine. As for not being able to beat Dew I think Coke has all the ingredients to whip Dew's ass off the market but they are just too dumb to figure out how. I used to love Coke. Now I mearly put up with them. More than I can say for Pepsi.

-Avery

Hacksaw
12-03-2001, 10:40 PM
I'm glad dlhancock noticed the ROTTEN advertisement ploys of Coca Cola for some products. YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO AN AD CAMPAIGN!, & if you put in a little, that's the results!!

Fanta is well known in Mexico, BUT, Coke pushed Minute Maid in its place, WITHOUT MUCH OF AN AD CAMPAIGN! I only heard ONE ad series for Fanta in the US , back in the 70's. Now we have people who remember drinks like Fanta Red Cream Soda & Ginger Ale, but they are NOT to be found in the Fanta restart. Minute Maid is still on the shelf, but I don't think it sells too well.

I'm shocked that Sprite is being pushed as much as it is. Surge could have used this kind of push. RIP, Surge?

[This message has been edited by Hacksaw (edited 12-03-2001).]

karks88
12-04-2001, 12:43 AM
Yeah, why does Sprite get such a huge ad budget? I like the drink, but it seems Coke could do more with that money.

I don't understand how a company that has so many brands chooses only to market 3 of them. What they did to Surge was ridiculous.

Spend huge money during the launch, then cool off after about a year. Then, they retool in 1999 but it's not a very big push. If Coke would have just spent wisely and nutured the brand instead of their on-again off-again ad campaigns, Surge would still be a viable competitor. Too much, too fast and not long enough has lead Surge to where it is right now.

It's great to have a big launch for an exciting new product, but it does nothing if you don't try to sustain some the early success.

Seriously though, some of the products they keep around (Tab, for example) are lousy and generally don't sell and yet Coke keeps them alive. Why should Surge be discontinued? I could probably name at least 5 Coke products that are more deserving.

surgefeedtherush
12-04-2001, 08:46 PM
karks your reading my mind man. I agree with everything you said. Coke had a huge launch...then nothing...then the redesign a fair re-launch...then nothing. They have NO CONSISTENCY the same can be said about Citra, Surge's litttle cousin. I dont understand why Coke doesnt advetise anything but Classic and Sprite and whatever is new at that time. As for Tab dont get me started my question is who the hell buys that stuff?!?!? Or Fresca, Try Deit Cherry Coke, Or even Mr. Pibb in cans and bottles or KMX or any of that other stuff they sell.l I mean I like fresca and Pibb but with some good marketing Surge could really go somewhere. Coke has wasted alot of time effort and respect atleast in my mind.

-Avery

karks88
12-04-2001, 11:42 PM
Thanks Avery! I'm glad to hear that somebody loves Surge as much as I do.

Citra is also a good product, and again, rare in my area. There is a beverage distributor that carries 12 packs and a grocery store has bottles but it doesn't seem to be moving too quickly.

Earlier this week I actually wrote to Coke and asked for a list of bottlers that still make Surge. I've yet to get a reply. When I asked them about Surge's status a few months back, all I got was a standard form letter saying it's all up to the bottlers. This time, I demanded a real response so hopefully they will help us out a little!

By the way, is it just me or does it tastes better in cans than in bottles? I'm not too familiar with the bottling process but I notice it has a stronger flavor in a can.

dlhancock
12-05-2001, 06:47 AM
Well Karks, good luck on getting that reply to you demanding a more detailed explanation from coke on the availability of a certain product. They are quite adept at sending out those form letters telling you it is up to the local bottlers (which it IS), yet seem to have no interest in helping you locate a product in which you...THE POTENTIAL CUSTOMER...might have an interest. I mean, they KNOW to whom (i.e. which bottler or bottling groups) they sell the various syrups. They also have marketing data that tells them WHAT products sell in each market. Therefore they must surely be able to tell you that a particular product is available in a given market or not. If they are showing consumption data for a market doesn't it seem reasonable that someone (a bottler of the product perhaps) is actually producing it for sale in that area? Hmmmm. Maybe they don't release that information to those who inquire because they consider all such sales data proprietary (which it is), but how stupid can you be to frustrate your customer base, someone who may just want to drink your precious beverage and put money into your pocket? So you end up with a corporate office telling you to ask your local bottler whether they make the product or not. Well corporate really KNOWS the answer but won't tell you. Then you call the local bottler and with any luck they will tell you that they do or do not carry the product in your area, but if they do you'll just have to hunt for it yourself because if anyone there knows they won't be able to tell you the individual retailers to whom the product is delivered. Customer service and satisfaction are truly the number one priorites for Coke! Tell me another one. :O

Yes, it seems that Coke only promotes Coke and Sprite. Any new product will get pushed for a while, then is allowed to languish, with maybe a product redesign or two. Another flurry of promotion, then ignore it again. It is sort of like the toys a kid gets at Christmas. The child plays with them like mad for the first few days...tires of them...them relegates them to a closet shelf where thery are totally forgotten. Maybe a friend comes over, sees the toy in the closet and plays with it again for a short time. Eventually that friend has to go home. The toy is put back on the shelf again. Mama eventually comes along and sees the ignored toy and throws it away as part of cleaning out the closet.

Tab has been around for a long time. Coke does almost NO promotion on it anymore, yet they still keep it around. Why? Who knows. Who drinks it (well I do)? Again, who knows. But here I would bet that Surge will not be relegated to the same status that Tab enjoys. They will essentially dump the product, not even giving it the same amount of production attention that Tab gets.

I live in Atlanta. Simple phone calls to corporate yield nothing. http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/redface.gif :O

[This message has been edited by dlhancock (edited 12-06-2001).]

karks88
12-05-2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks dlhancock! The way Coke reacts, you would think that I were asking them to reveal that secret formula of theirs. They do have a wonderful way of rewarding customer loyalty. I've been a Coke drinker since I was a child, and a Surge drinker since it launched.

Now, I am willing to purchase cases upon cases of something (ok, not as many as a distributor or anything but quite a bit for a single guy living in a small apartment!) and all they give me is silence. I'd even settle for a list of bottlers for me to call or e-mail.

It's like going to Ford and asking to buy a new Mustang and they say "No, this one's not for sale. Go visit the GM dealer.".

I love their products but if they continue to treat their customers this badly, I may just stop drinking their stuff for good. Of course, that is once the Surge supply runs out!

sodasommelier
12-05-2001, 10:40 AM
Yes, although I never became a fan of Surge because it was never available in glass bottles (unless Coke knows where it was and never would reveal the renegade bottler's location); I can say that the whole reason I started my business was because of those corny PR form letters that went on for 2 pages saying absolutely nothing.

Alot of their secrecy appears to be based upon the fear of people going into other franchisees' territories to get what's not available in theirs. But that's the whole point: WHAT'S NOT AVAILABLE in theirs. The point behind these franchises in the first place (many American laws regarding franchises were decided based on cases between Coca-Cola bottlers) is that once a franchise had a territory (in the days all Coke was only 6.5oz bottles), they couldn't deliver the Coke in a neighboring territory whose bottler was perhaps a bit weaker. That made decent sense. But now that you have so many bottlers 'picking and choosing' or you have companies that buy out ten different root beer companies and only sell one or two to each 'territory', it has become apples and oranges.

I used to buy Coke in refillable bottles at one renegade bottler; drive my van out there every 3 weeks with empties to reload. One day they told me that Atlanta said if they saw another refillable Coke bottle in an L.A. novelty shop from their plant that their syrup supply would be cut off. That's the Red Crew for you. It isn't even enough to love their product.

Now you take brands that they have poorly marketed and then 'killed' like Surge. Well, they're probably afraid that someone like you will not only travel to another territory ("where's your internal passport, comrade" says the Red Crew). Or worse yet, some of your friends might drink your stash and share it with theirs... oh gosh, what if it becomes 'popular' again when their new planned product "Purge" is still on the drawing board.

I'm not saying that other big manufacturers don't do the same thing but I really think that Coke is losing the respect that it used to have because it so blatantly doesn't care about its customers. And Coca-Cola Classic / New Coke... don't even go there. In my opinion, the whole thing was designed to quietly dump the cane sugar and switch to HFCS while getting free news coverage and surpassing Pepsi for being 'attentive to customer demand'. Great snowjob, but I think their heyday ended there.

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

Shatter
12-05-2001, 12:01 PM
Exactly WHY is Tab still around? They still make it with saccharin (sp?), don't they? Coke discontinues all sorts of good products, but keeps a product in production with ingredients they know causes cancer.

My store stocks Tab. It's for this horrible little old lady and her weird furry little husband. They would walk around the store being abusive to the employees and screaming at their son for the tiniest things, like asking for notebook paper for school. They kept bugging the Coke sales rep until he made a spot on the shelf two six-packs wide to stuff the shelf full so he wouldn't have to deal with them too much. It's people like that (in my mind anyway) who still drink Tab.

karks88
12-05-2001, 01:22 PM
It's so odd that in an age where you can get products from all over the globe delivered to your door at the click of a mouse, a huge corporation like Coke doesn't want people everywhere to enjoy their choice of Coke products.

They're getting a bit of Microsoft in them, it seems. Whether they believe it or not, helping a loyal customer out from time to time wouldn't be such a bad thing. Hey, that could even be a cheap (and very effective) ad campaign. I'm sure it would be much more cost effective than paying for those 3D animations of polar bears. It could be a whole new way to market their less popular drinks and show that they do indeed care about their customers.

karks88
12-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Well, Coke just sent me a reply...

"Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company. We appreciate your loyalty to SURGE and regret your local bottler has decided to discontinue its production.

Unfortunately, due to our limited resources, we are unable to guide you to a bottler who may be still producing SURGE.

The bottlers sell the finished product exclusively to retailers, which is where consumers buy our products. Unfortunately, our products are not available for purchase directly from the bottler.

If you have additional questions or comments, please visit our Web site again.

Jeffrey
The Coca-Cola Company
Industry and Consumer Affairs"

Boy, what a big help!

sodasommelier
12-06-2001, 01:14 AM
Yes, I can just imagine how much they 'appreciate your loyalty to SURGE' and how deeply they 'regret' the 'bottler's decision' to no longer manufacture it.

Yeah, Jeffrey must certainly be spending lots of $$ at his therapist, drowning himself in tears because of those dreadful decisions made by those pesky bottlers.

------------------

dr pepperman
12-06-2001, 09:50 PM
Shatter you answered your own question. Tab is keep around for people like that old lady. Thats why the bottler in my area has to stock it at several big stores,there are still Tab drinkers around who would have fits if the stores stopped stocking it. Remember,Tab has been around for decades and has built a following. Surge will never make it to its 5 year anniversary.
I find it funny a company as big as Coke has "limited resources"

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

[This message has been edited by dr pepperman (edited 12-06-2001).]

bwtucker
12-07-2001, 05:00 AM
You know i've never even tried Surge. What does it taste more like, Mountain Dew, Sundrop or Mello Yello?? Or something else??

karks88
12-07-2001, 10:03 AM
Hello bwtucker! To answer your question, Surge really wasn't too similar to any of the drinks you mentioned. It has/had a very sweet, strong, citrus taste. I guess you could say that about Mountain Dew but Surge was a bit stronger I think. It's probably an acquired taste, but I and a few others got hooked on it http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

dr pepperman
12-07-2001, 06:57 PM
After reading and posting about Tab I made a comment about that drink to the Coke driver today. He said one store has a women who comes in every week and buys 3 cases. Says she got hooked on it in college.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

DRPEPPERMANTX
12-07-2001, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately, Surge is alive and well in Houston Tx and surrounding areas.

karks88
12-08-2001, 10:58 AM
Excellent! Thanks for the info (even though you don't like Surge). Now, I must find a place in Houston that will ship some to me...

surgefeedtherush
12-09-2001, 12:54 AM
Hey whats sizes do they sell over there in Texasville? Karks if your succesfull getting ahold of somebody who will send SURGE please give me the contact!!! As for Tab, Coke you are stupid. You keep it for a few geriatrics? what the hell is that?!!? Karks and all the rest who have ever contacted Coke about avalibility I feel your pain. They REFUSE to give any information that would steer you away from Pepsi or other competitors. How bad of a decision is that? If you would give me the adress of that guys that sent you the email regarding SURGE i would be happy to write him a short reply on how helpful him and his company have been in our quest. I love Coke becouse they make some great stuff. But if they dont start caring i swear i will go to somebody else. Not Pepsi but sombody else. Coke has really shot themselves in the foot. I dont hate them for killing SURGE, I hate them for doing such a poor job saving it. My blood pressure is rising.

-Avery

karks88
12-09-2001, 11:34 AM
Watch that blood pressure, Avery! If I find a place that will ship Surge, you will be the first to know.

It is quite a frustrating situation when all you want to do is buy some soda and Coke won't give us a clue where to do it. I have some Surge on hand right now but it's being discontinued soon and I'd love to have a backup plan for when it is gone for good in PA.

sodasommelier
12-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Hey!! Some of those geriatrics who drink Tab are movie stars. That's probably why it's still around. Besides, I can beat that! My grandmother (who is alot more active this week before her 91st birthday than the Tab drinkers I know) still drinks Postum... how about that!!?!? And they still make that.

As for Surge, I think that becuase it was a copycat drink that Coke may be discontinuing it in embarrassment. However, Coke's logic seems to be derived from the mentality that they believe people will buy their products either way; discontinue one and another will sell in its place. It's the responsibility of all of us to buy things from other manufacturers when they exercise such tactics so that in the long run they either change or lose their market share. If they lose their market share, they'll probably lose a bunch of that attitude along with it.

------------------

dlhancock
12-09-2001, 04:32 PM
Well I was also one of the ones mentioning a tendency to drink Tab. For some reason I liked it better than the taste of Diet Coke. Actually that is not a ringing endorsement by any means. Go figure. The main problem I have is that I am not comfortable with Aspartame. Not one of those crazies, but I do limit my intake of it. Diebetics don't have a lot of choices out there. Splenda is not widely used. Aspartame is in almost everything else. So diet colas without the stuff are hard to come by.

surgefeedtherush
12-11-2001, 05:49 PM
Say Karks when does the stuff you have expire? Also I hope you become a regular poster here on bevboard becouse im really the only SURGE lover on here :)

-Avery

karks88
12-12-2001, 10:44 AM
Thanks Avery! I definitely will be a regular here. I have always had an interest in soft drinks of all kinds. My Surge is set to expire on January 7th of 2002. I am down to my last 1 1/2 cases of the 20oz bottles. I even try to limit myself to 1 bottle per day http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

surgefeedtherush
12-12-2001, 09:32 PM
Well Karks both me and you know that one bottle a day is simply impossible! ;)
Man I havent had a SURGE in 2 months since my stash was done :-( Well i gotta get somebody to ship me some soon or I will most likely die of SURGE withdrawl. heehee

-Avery

karks88
12-13-2001, 10:25 AM
One bottle a day is tough, but it truly is better than none at all. I am still searching all over the web trying to find places that may be able to ship it. I did find a place in northern NJ that has it but will only deliver locally. Maybe if we keep bugging them they will relent and give us our great beverage!

Check it out here: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gsbeverage/index.html

DRPEPPERMANTX
12-14-2001, 01:41 AM
JUST A THOUGHT, BOTH OF YOU HAVE ALBERTSONS LOCATED IN YOUR STATES. I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THE NEAREST ONES TO YOU ARE BUT IF YOU CAN FIND ONE NEARBY, THEY WILL ORDER ANYTHING YOU WANT. THEY GUARANTY THAT EVERYONE GETS WHAT THEY WANT AT ALBERTSONS, AND WILL ORDER ITEMS THEY DON'T CARRY.

sodasommelier
12-14-2001, 03:14 AM
DrPeppermanTx, don't hold your breath. Albertson's can't order Surge from a bottler which isn't in the territory of the store from which the request comes. And also, I can say that some renegade Ralphs have gotten some of our drinks for special folks but never has Albertson's called us to help out a customer. Right now we're getting dozens of ginger ale requests from totally new customers. Three new ones contacted us today for a total of 15cs sold; over 10 ginger ales are among them. Is there some sort of ginger thing going on this holiday season about which I'm unaware?

Hey DrPeppermanTx, don't forget to give out bottles of Dublin Dr Pepper to your friends and family; man is that stuff good!!!!! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

------------------

DRPEPPERMANTX
12-14-2001, 11:03 AM
Surge is gone in Houston, TX!! Almost over night it has been discontinued! Good luck finding it, seems like it's disappering every where.

karks88
12-14-2001, 12:56 PM
Actually, I did check out Albertson's. I have no idea where they are in PA but I saw that in their Seattle stores, you can order online and pick it up at the store. They do indeed have 20oz bottles but they told me that I should go into a local Acme store and order it there. Of course, it's being discontinued in PA so that won't work.

So, it's gone in Houston just like that? http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/frown.gif I guess hope is running out. I will still keep looking, though.

By the way, I do want to thank everybody who has posted a helpful hint as to where Surge can be found! This is easily the most helpful bulletin board I've ever been a part of.

Also, I wanted to throw this out there; does anyone think that it's possible for beveragesdirect.com to start carrying it?

sodasommelier
12-15-2001, 01:05 AM
You know, if you're really so into Surge, you'd be best off taking a sample to a flavor chemist and having a concentrate cloned; then bottling it at a copacker. If Coke is discontinuing it, it'll dry up in every corner and crevice. If you have a bottling run you could call it SPLURGE and use totally different graphics so you don't get sued. Then have an online site where you sell cases by UPS to Surge enthusiasts; not likely to be too profitable but then again your own consumption could be a tax writeoff because you're just doing anal quality control!! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif Just a suggestion...

------------------

karks88
12-15-2001, 01:05 PM
Wow, that's way better than my idea! I was just going to mix some up in my bathtub http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

Actually, there was kind of a holiday miracle last night. I found some Surge at Sheetz! They actually had a full stock of 20oz. bottles and I was truly amazed. They also had 20oz. Citra bottles which I had never seen before. Thank you Sheetz!!!!

surgefeedtherush
12-15-2001, 04:46 PM
Citra is some good stuff, doesnt hold a flame to SURGE but its still good. I wonder how much it would cost to buy the SURGE brand from Coke if they do eventually kill it...hmm Speaking of, do you all think Coke will actually discontinue SURGE or just sorta phase it out like they did with Mello Yello a few years ago?

-Avery

karks88
12-15-2001, 05:08 PM
Avery, that's a tough question! Since I have no experience in the soft drink industry, my guess is as good as yours. I personally think that Coke will not totally throw it away. There's got to be an independent bottler out there (not affiliated with CCE) that still has Surge in its plans. I'll be really interested in some of the more expert members' response to that.

Citra is pretty good (I'm drinking a can right now, in fact). It's a brand that hardly anybody knows about. There never really was a big launch for it.

By the way, here is something else I found:
http://www.sodalicious.com

Is this for real??

Shatter
12-16-2001, 04:33 AM
And they carry Surge syrup! This sounds like a cool little machine! Until I see that it costs $289.99! So, the question is.... how much is an almost unlimited supply of Surge really worth to you?

If any one here buys one of these, let us know. I'd like to see if this machine is all it's cracked up to be.

karks88
12-16-2001, 11:29 AM
Shatter, the cost is what's keeping me from trying it. So, if any of you want to get me a nice holiday present... http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif No, seriously, I wonder if it is some kind of scam. It says on the site that they only service parts of Arizona so I wrote to them and asked if there is any other place where I can get this machine and syrup delivered to PA. I've done some searching and haven't found any other place that sells the machine itself.

I will say that if it does indeed turn out to be legitimate and Surge syrup is still available, I would definitely consider buying it. Oh, the things a Surge addict will do for his fix...

surgefeedtherush
12-16-2001, 10:25 PM
If I can get it in Minn. then they can have my $300 in a heartbeat!

-Avery

dr pepperman
12-18-2001, 09:45 PM
As of 12-17-01 there is still a row of Surge at the Sheetz on Rt 15 about 10 miles north of Harrisburg Pa.
Also there are no Albertsons in Pa. Albertsons does own Acme.

------------------
PEPPER UP AT 10,2 and 4.

surgefeedtherush
12-18-2001, 10:05 PM
Surge for me is like a drug. I need It. I would swear I have been a much less compassionate person since they took a away my baby *(tears)* I need it back or I will surely not make it much longer.....any cherity would be gladly accepted http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/wink.gif

-Avery

karks88
12-18-2001, 11:36 PM
It's something so simple, but having the beverage of your choice definitely makes your day better. I work at home, and ever since I started I would always have 2 cans of Surge during the day to keep me going.

Then, of course it got very hard to find and I really did miss it when i couldn't get my hands on some. Perhaps that's some sort of caffine addiction but I think it's more that Surge has such a strong taste that I love so much http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

By the way, I found another device to make soda at home from syrups and co2:
http://www.*******.com/sodastuff.html

Is it possible for Coke to sell me syrup directly, or maybe a bottler could order it for me?

karks88
12-18-2001, 11:40 PM
Ok, it looks like this message board didn't like the web address I put in! The store is pop soda.com (all one word, but if I put in here as one word it would just come out in asteriks again)

karks88
12-24-2001, 11:22 PM
Still haven't found a place that sells Surge syrup to the general public.

Happy holidays to each and every one of you!

sodasommelier
12-25-2001, 03:07 PM
Happy Holidays! Hey, I'd highly doubt the Coca-Cola Co would sell or ship any syrup (or concentrate) to anyone other than an authorized Coca-Cola bottler. And I'd guess by what's going on that they're not offering it anymore either. So what you could do is to take a sample of Surge to a Flavor and Fragrance manufacturer and have them clone it. Then you make up your own (either have a couple hundred cases bottled, or make up a syrup which you keep in the fridge and mix with carbonated water). Of course you can't use the SURGE name but you'll know what it really is! ;)

Jaime
12-27-2001, 07:28 PM
I live up in the Seattle area of Washington, and I still carry surge. It actually doesn't sell.

sodasommelier
12-28-2001, 01:18 AM
Well, maybe you should work out a deal with these guys and sell off your stock!! If you're in Issaquah, you can try calling 206 633 1092 for some stuff that will sell! smile.gif

karks88
12-28-2001, 10:18 AM
Jaime, are you willing to ship some Surge my way? smile.gif I live in Pennsylvania and I'm looking for mass quantities of Surge!

karks88
01-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Hi all, hope you had a great New Year's eve/day! I've been stuck with the flu all week so my beverage consumption has been down :(

In my Surge research (there's plenty of time for it when I'm sick!), I found something very interesting. I found out that Coke makes Surge in Norway, but there it's called Urge. It comes in the original Surge packaging from 1996. Coke even has a little section of their products page dedicated to Urge.

So, if any of you are ever in Norway, pick up some Urge! smile.gif

SURGE
01-02-2002, 03:45 PM
Karks would you post a link to the page aabout Urge. I did hear about it a long time ago but I didn't realize it was still in production. I wonder if they use real cane sugar and glass bottles!!!!! Please post that link.

Thank- The Surge Addict,
-Avery

karks88
01-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Avery,

I'm not sure what packaging it's available in, but it's good to see the soda still being made somewhere!

Here are some links...

This is the direct product page link:

http://www.coca-cola.no/about/cc_produktene.html

And this is the Coke Norway link:
http://www.coca-cola.no

Enjoy!

karks88
01-07-2002, 05:19 PM
Well, that's all she wrote. Surge, in Pennsylvania, is now officially dead :(

Today, I attempted to place a special order with a very nice beverage distributor in town who has been ordering Surge for me for the past few months. I got a call back this afternoon and was told that they may have some left in the warehouse, however it would be the last batch ever! So, at this point I may get a bit more, or I may be about to run dry.

I'm very sad, but hey I knew it was coming. It's weird to get used to drinking something just about every day and then knowing that you won't have it anymore. Of course, there are much worse problems to have.

LONG LIVE SURGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SURGE
01-07-2002, 06:49 PM
worse problems?!?!?! not in MY world :D

-Avery

karks88
01-07-2002, 06:56 PM
I guess I could have a disease or something. Of course, Surge addiction is a disease, right??? smile.gif

SURGE
01-07-2002, 09:06 PM
a disease makes it sound bad more like a hmm...... a gift or better....a personality trait :D ok so maybe im just trying to cover up the truth im a closet Pepsi One fan.... :eek: JK!!!

-Avery

Shatter
01-08-2002, 12:47 PM
I asked the Coke sales rep at my store, and he told me the Dallas division still makes Surge.

karks88
01-08-2002, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Shatter! Now, I must find a place in the lovely Metroplex that will ship to Pennsylvania smile.gif

karks88
01-17-2002, 08:07 PM
Oddly enough I have good news to report smile.gif Surge lives on in Pennsylvania! At least, it lives in fountain form in a K-Mart in Shippensburg.

Michael The Walrus
01-17-2002, 10:33 PM
I have been searching for Surge for at least two years and have been largely unsuccessful. The magical tap ran dry in my part of Houston many months ago and I have only found it in sporadic places.

1. Taco Bell by the Houston Zoo had it on tap.

2. Fuddruckers at I-45 and Fuqua had it on tap this summer. I gorged myself when I found it there.

3. I found 3 cans at the Georgetown University convenience store when I was visiting their campus this summer..mmmmmm...I consumed them in very rationed amounts.

Other than those isolated incidents, my Surge addiction has gone unquenched for nearly 2 years. I recently called the Fort Worth bottler about Surge, but they said they had recently discontinued the precious nectar. At least I still have my memories of all-night gaming sessions supplemented by several cases of Surge...

karks88
01-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Michael, my brother, I know your pain! I still have some short supplies from the last batch, but it won't last long :(

I found a kosher grocery store online that apparently sells 2 liter bottles, www.koshergrocer.com, (http://www.koshergrocer.com,) except they are closed for a few weeks while they move to new offices. Hopefully they will still have some.

Hehe, I found a can at a 7-11 the other day that had expired in October. It was the only can in the entire row and it was all dented and dirty. I thought it best to just leave it be. Perhaps the store manager was keeping it as a lasting reminder of days past.

I have to say that I really took grabbing a fresh Surge for granted. I never thought it would leave. I swear I've tried just about everything to keep the supply going strong. Tomorrow, I'm going to that K-Mart and getting as much as I can carry out of that fountain smile.gif

drpep
01-18-2002, 07:20 PM
As of 1-15-02 Morris Market in Wyalusing, Pa still had Surge in cans, both 6 and 12 packs.
Wyalusing is about 2 1/2 hr drive from the Harrisburg area. On a map its about 60 miles west of Scranton on Rt 6 in eastern Bradford County. It may be worth your time. There must have been at least 5 cases total.

drpep
01-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Also, if you did happen to make the trip and you took Rt 15 to Williamsport then 220 to Towanda you may still find Surge in stores along route 15 and in Williamsport. I posted the stores in Wmsprt on 11-12 in this thread. Some Sheetz along 15 still had it as of 12-15.

SURGE
01-18-2002, 08:44 PM
Karks I had a similar experience after Surge was murdered here. I found 1 pizza place that still had it for almost a year!! The reason I later found out was that they had loaded up on syrup when it was still made. My guess is thats your K-Mart situation. I have spoken to quite afew people inside CCE and Coca-Cola Inc. and from what i have heard Surge will still be avalible to bottlers for ATLEAST 1 more year. Now that doent mean it wont make it longer but that gives me some hope that atleast a few less-corupted independant Coke bottlers will keep it around. Also I may have found a way to get URGE from europe il post the details as soon as I know them for sure. as for the memories of those great Surge days, those will last forever....

-Avery

karks88
01-19-2002, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the info dr pepperman! From what I've heard, all the cans of Surge in the PA-midatlantic region expired in October of 2001. The last known batch in these parts were in 20oz bottles and expired on 1/07/02 (I still have a few stashed away).

I did get some at the K-Mart fountain smile.gif It tasted fresh and much stronger than what I have in the bottles. Funny thing is, the fountain actually had the old Surge logo from when it first came out.

Avery, it sounds like you've been quite dedicated to preserving our drink! I think if we had a couple hundred more footsoldiers like you out there we could spread the word to everyone. Maybe we need to organize in some way? I was actually thinking of doing a website about the situation. I've been kinda busy lately but perhaps it might be worth doing, what do you think?

SURGE
01-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Well karks I know a bit of HTML and Java so I would love to make a really good Surge site, the only problem is that I have very limited cash resorces. I could do one on a free site no problem but if it comes to paying I can contribute but I would have some real trouble footing the whole bill. From what I have seen he few Surge sites out there are rarely updated and most are just plain bad so if you in then so am I :D

-Avery

karks88
01-19-2002, 09:34 PM
Avery, I have a server so that is no problemo smile.gif Well, I mean I don't own a server but I have leased space for my own site. I think we could make a pretty cool site and maybe it would get Coke's attention!

SURGE
01-20-2002, 01:16 AM
Hey karks well if you trust me enough to work with me il be more than happy to contribute A LOT of time to making this work. Please contact me ASAP at avery_lund@hotmail.com so we can get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
-Avery

drpep
01-20-2002, 09:44 PM
Karks88, I checked the dates the six pack cans were due to pass away in mid May 2002.

karks88
01-21-2002, 11:02 AM
Coolness dr pepperman! Perhaps they are getting their supply from a different bottler? I'm not sure exactly what the territories are with CCE bottlers.

Avery, I will send you an e-mail to discuss our Surge site sometime today smile.gif

karks88
01-21-2002, 09:19 PM
Folks, I found some more Surge!!!! I shouldn't say I found it, my girlfriend did (bless her heart). Food Lion in Chambersburg had 2 cases of cans, expiring in May & August of this year. So perhaps it's just the Harrisburg area who's run dry.

drpep
01-21-2002, 10:04 PM
I am sure it was bottled by Mid Atlantic Canners out of Hamburg, PA.
The bad news is that the Surge was stocked next to the Mello Yello and the other grocer in town who had had Surge before had only MY.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]</p>

karks88
01-21-2002, 10:14 PM
I checked the can and it said Pittsburgh, which was kind of funny because that's the only Coke product in my house that says where it was made. Citra, Classic and Sprite didn't say which city it was made in.

I looked on the CCE website and it appears that there are 2 main bottling locations around me, Columbia MD and Pittsburgh. It appears that maybe Columbia discontinued it. Hopefully, Pittsburgh will keep it going. Also, up north it looks like the Hawthorne facility does their batch.

SURGE
02-04-2002, 05:09 PM
If you still have SURGE in your area help us out at http://www.savesurge.org and share the love!

-Avery

PhillyCoke
03-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Ok, if it said Pittsburgh.. then it was Abarta, right? I am familiar with some of the Coke bottler codes in the mid-atlantic.

CCE NY
KM=Maspeth Queens NYC
KH=Hartford CT
KE=Elmsford NY

PHILLY COKE
MT=Moorestown NJ
PH=Philadelphia PA

CCE MID-ATLANTIC
BT=Baltimore MD
SS=Silver Spring MD
AX=Alexandria VA
RM=Richmond VA

ABARTA
BH=Bethlehem PA

CENTRAL COCA-COLA
HG=Hagerstown MD (I think)

MID-ATLANTIC CANNERS (a co-op)
HM=Hamburg PA
ZN=Zanesville OH

bottler websites:
http://www.abarta.com
http://www.cokecce.com

A few others.. just for fun? anyone else?
HW=Hollywood FL
CV=Cleveland TN
SY=Salisbury NC

[ 05-15-2002, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: PhillyCoke ]

PhillyCoke
03-22-2002, 07:19 PM
Spotted Surge in 12 packs in the Wal-Mart supercenters in Hagerstown MD and Hanover PA (might have been in the Super K in Hanover..not sure). Both from Mid-Atlantic Canners, Hamburg, PA. Expired later this year, can't remember the date.

karks88
03-23-2002, 11:15 PM
You rule, PhillyCoke! I have found some SURGE that is Abarta, and some that is Mid Atlanic Canners from Hamburg. All of the stuff from Hamburg that I have expires in May, while the Abarta stuff expires in August. It seems like my local stores have stopped stocking the MAC stuff in favor of Abarta.

jjlong
04-02-2002, 01:42 AM
SURGE IS DEAD It was the worst mistake we made out at Coke!!! Give it up!!!!
:eek:

SURGE
04-02-2002, 02:34 AM
jjlong, every heard of Coke 2? Thanks for your opinion. Please notice that this topic is "Where is SURGE?" not "Do you like SURGE?" so I'm going to have to say STUFF IT! Geez I think some people are just out to make friends.

Co-Webmaster SaveSURGE.org,
-Avery Lund

SURGE
04-02-2002, 02:35 AM
jjlong, every heard of Coke 2? Thanks for your opinion. Please notice that this topic is "Where is SURGE?" not "Do you like SURGE?" so I'm going to have to say STUFF IT! Geez I think some people are just out to make friends.

-Avery Lund

SURGE
04-02-2002, 02:35 AM

-Avery Lund

drpep
04-02-2002, 10:48 PM
Surge 6 packs still on shelf at grocer in Wyalusing, PA. Sell by date is end of May. Have a feeling Mello Yello will replace it as this is the only store in the area that has Surge.
Also spotted Surge about 20 miles west in Troy, Pa at the Red Hen gas and go,intersection of routes 6 and 14. It was sold only at the fountian. Coolers had Mello Yello cans and 20oz. I wonder if Mello Yello was the drink you got at fountian? Maybe the Surge logo was not replaced. No other store in Troy had Surge or Mello Yello.

karks88
04-03-2002, 01:56 PM
Thank you very much Dr. Pepperman! You just added to our list of SURGE Sightings :D

It's looking like most of the places that still have it are in fountains. I keep finding 12 packs in Chambersburg, though.

MDCoke
04-04-2002, 12:05 AM
In my search for Citra...
I found 1 12-Pack of Surge at Giant Food on Route 15 between Camp Hill (PA) and Dillsburg.
Forgot to check the expiration...but I left it there for one of you guys to grab!
No if I could just find a 12-pack of Citra...sigh.

karks88
04-04-2002, 10:47 AM
MD Coke, there are a few stores here in Carlisle that, as of a few weeks ago, have Citra. Stan's beverage's and Nell's Shurfine market both had 12 packs. Also, I'm not 100% sure on this but I think the Wal Mart in Chambersburg had it as well. It seems Chambersburg is the best place in the area for finding soda!

MISTICman
05-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Hey guys...
I know you're looking for Surge in cans and bottles, but if you need a quick fix, try your local KMart. EVERY KMart I've been to in 2 states has had Surge in the fountains at the snack bars it has. This also goes for those new KMart Express gas stations. The 2 states I've seen it in are NC and VA. Try your local KMart and see if they have it.

SURGE
05-13-2002, 09:10 PM
Thanx Mistic, What you said seems to ring very true we get alot of reports about SURGE in Kmart. Thanks again for your help! :D

-Avery

SURGE
05-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanx Mistic, What you said seems to ring very true we get alot of reports about SURGE in Kmart. Thanks again for your help! :D

-Avery

Shatter
05-14-2002, 04:37 AM
I found Surge in the fountain in a Texaco/E-Z Mart in Grand Prairie, Texas. I'll get you more details next time I go that way again, but it's kind of out of my way. I only went through there because I was avoiding a wreck. I'll see if I can't get an address or something.

By the way, my store's local Coke driver was going to get me some Surge, but he hasn't been able to get his hands on any. Apparently, the Dallas division just stopped making it. Sorry.

Zipster
06-28-2002, 11:45 AM
There is some Surge in Princeton, NJ (fountain) and I saw a 2-liter bottle in Super Stop&Shop

karks88
07-01-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks Zipster! I placed that location on www.savesurge.org (http://www.savesurge.org) 's SURGE Sighthings page smile.gif

Shatter, thanks for trying! It seems like whatever supply is out there disappears pretty quickly :(

[ 07-01-2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

drpep
07-01-2002, 10:25 PM
Is it possible that some fountians that have Surge have owners that are too lazy to remove the Surge sticker and are selling Mello Yello instead?
Ithaca,NY Kmart is listed as having a fountian that sells Surge. I live 40 minutes from Ithaca. I have yet to see a business that has Surge in cans, bottles, plastic, or fountian. Mello Yello is it. Why would Coke have to sell one Surge mix when everyone else sells Yello? I see some fountians that have stickers for Citrus Hill Pink Lemonade. That brands been gone for almost a decade. I will check my Kmart and see what they sell in their cafe.

karks88
07-01-2002, 10:51 PM
It seems like most K-Mart locations, at least in my area, have SURGE in the fountain. I have heard (probably on this board) that many McDonald's carry Mr. Pibb because of an agreement with Coke. Could K-Mart have the same kind of deal?

SURGE
08-21-2002, 08:00 PM
http://karks.com/surge/banner.jpg

123 testing

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-25-2002, 01:35 PM
i have seen surge in all of the sam's club fountains as well. you could also try little caesar's fountains and, i have to wonder about things like chuckie cheese.

who owned citrus hill?

SplitLevelP
09-28-2002, 08:20 AM
ok surge lovers I'm in central Ny and just seen your post I have not made a point to see if surge is still around, but I will look and post if I find it.

karks88
09-28-2002, 11:01 AM
Thank you! We hope you find lots and lots of it for our friends in NY smile.gif

Shatter
09-29-2002, 12:54 AM
I found some in a Texaco station a few weeks ago in the fountain. The thing was, it wasn't carbonated at all. Totally flat. It tasted like they used tap water instead of carbonated water. I bought some for old time's sake, and I ended up pouring most of it out. Without carbonation, it's just like a bad glass of Kool-Aid.

SplitLevelP
10-22-2002, 11:32 AM
Extra , Extra SURGE found on tap at hoyts movie house in new hartford, ny at the mall.The local k-mart in Herkimer,ny has SURGE on tap as well.I will update as I see more. :D

steveu
10-22-2002, 08:04 PM
It's alive here in Huntsville, Ala. ... I'm not a big fan, but I had a can when it was the best thing available at a gathering last Saturday. It was pretty decent. Huntsville seems to be a good place for a wide variety of stuff. Pibb Xtra is the only beverage I think I'd want that I haven't found here. Besides all the ohter Coke and Pepsi products, Faygo is big here and plenty of others.

karks88
10-24-2002, 12:19 PM
steveu, that is so cool! Was it in cans or bottles? We're starting to hear about a few places that have it in 20oz. bottles lately.

SURGE
12-03-2002, 08:20 PM
I'm hearing now that that there is SURGE at a bowling alley around here. I'm sooo glad! Its been way to long since I have really enjoyed a cold one!

Shatter
12-04-2002, 02:25 AM
I went to a restaurant that just opened up called Steak and Shake, sort of a 50's diner kind of place. They have Mello Yello on tap, but I noticed that the waitresses trays have all of the Coke flavor logos they have available, but instead of Mello Yello they had the Surge logo. No Surge in the place, though.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-19-2003, 09:39 PM
steak and shake rocks my world.
and yeah, the surge tray phenomenon has baffled me anumber of drunken times.

ive only been now reminded of it because im always wasted when im there.

SplitLevelP
04-07-2003, 02:47 PM
hoyts movie house new hartford,ny has finished it's supply of SURGE and has covered the fountain label with paper and upon asking are all done with SURGE which means my last one there was it. :(

drpep
04-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Is your Hoyts (which is an Indian word meaning "cornhole the consumer") going out of business or changing to Regal? Maybe that is why Surge is gone.

karks88
04-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Man that is a bummer. We've been deleting a lot of SURGE Sightings lately :( It seems like a lot of bottlers have just stopped carrying the syrup and they say it's been discontinued, even though Coke says otherwise.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-10-2003, 12:38 PM
i had a dream where i walked into a convenience store and saw suitcase 24pks of surge and citra.

just thinking of these posts.

karks88
04-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who dreams of such odd things! Last week I had a dream that I was at a picnic and a bunch of URGE was imported to us. Only, they were in these tiny little plastic sample bottles and I was told that if I wanted to buy full sized ones I'd have to buy 1000 of them. Then, it turns out Bono is there (the guy from U2, in case someone hasn't heard of him) and he starts telling me how he loves URGE and wishes he'd known about it before now. I told him that he could just schedule an extra stop in Oslo on his next tour. Wild stuff...

FitzgeraldHead
04-13-2003, 12:21 PM
I found it in the foutain form in Ohio... I'll explain where later, but I have to go to work.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-14-2003, 04:52 AM
hey karks - do you like u2?

i do.

surge memory:

when i worked at a store by a middle and elementary school, we carried surge first. we bought about 12 cases of the 20oz and 6 1L cases.

kids were buying it like crazy. luckily we had a meat cooler so i'd throw cases in there. kids bought it like mad, but then, like maybe 6 months later, sales seriously plummeted.

the only other time i've seen anything like that go that fast, that crazily, was vanilla coke (and the relaunch of cherry coke)

i remember not having to fill much in the cooler but surge, so i was actually quite bored while working.

also, when i first brought jones into the store when i was 15, i gave it a shelf and a half and carried about 16 flavors rotating a couple. that was pure insanity. jones used to cycle their pictures better back then, thus you'd get more than two or three different ones per case, sometimes up to 8 or ten. kids scrambled for the "cool" pictures and not the boring/artsy/emo ones. at first i sorted the bottles by color because i thought it looked pretty like in a rainbow type way, but people couldn't tell the difference between fufu/cherry/strawlime and more so i just mixed em like crazy and blew it out of the store.

i also did real well with stewarts when i first brought it in. i'm just rambling trying to remember products that succeded like surge did at first. oh, sobe too. sobe rocked right out of the stores as we had a lot of 20somethings coming in looking for good mixers and just good drinks period.

there's something about sobe now that really makes me cringe. it's sad. i loved that stuff and enjoyed seeing it sell well, just like jones.

anyway. sobe stayed consistent for a couple years, never the first sales but always well.

jones has stayed good but with fewer flavors as we can't get every one of them and they've kicked to the curb quite a few that i liked (pineapple for instance and lemon-lime too. i also liked their raspberry soda).

stewarts is the only thing i can still compare to the consistent success of vanilla and cherry coke as i still do quite well with stewarts (obviously not volume across the country or in 7-11's or anything, but people really enjoy buying the glass bottles.)

whatever, i just rambled.

karks88
04-14-2003, 10:06 AM
To answer your question, U2 is pretty good, but I still have no idea why Bono was in my dream drinking URGE smile.gif

I remember seeing SURGE everywhere back in the day and I know it sold quite well. What's weird is that Avery & I hear from so many people that are absolutely addicted to it and I have to wonder why sales plummeted so much. Of course there are going to be people who aren't into the taste, but I'd have to imagine that there were/are enough people who do enjoy the taste out there to keep the brand going.

I think in Sobe's case, maybe it became too "corporate"? Jones seems like it was just a fad because it's one of the few sodas in a c-store that actually comes in glass (the strange flavor names and the pictures helped also). Stewarts has endured because it's a great product and it doesn't need a gimmick.

By the way, I may have just scored some more SURGE syrup!!!!!!!

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-14-2003, 12:15 PM
whatever the reasons for the demise of surge, it's sales PLUMMETTED after only about 6 months. it had a different taste to it and a lot of people couldn't take it after the initial craze over it.

SURGE
04-21-2003, 02:31 PM
Ahh well I'm in good spirits got some syrup today. About 15 gallons i think. Payed a pretty penny for it but oh well!

karks88
04-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Congratulations Avery! I'm so glad you found some syrup smile.gif Break out the CO2 cartridges and let's make some fizz!!!!!!!

teamtitan512
06-14-2003, 07:37 PM
The sticker is still on the fountain at the Kmart in Altoona, PA. What's weird is Surge was never offered by Herbco, they had Squirt and Mello Yello as citrus drinks, now all I can find is Fresca under CCE. Surge and Citra never were unveiled there, although since Squirt was so strong there, I've always thought maybe Citra would enter, but it hasn't as of May 2003. Central here had both Surge and Citra, and then last year, Surge disappeared, and we only ever had Citra in 20 oz. in machines, and in 12 packs. Citra then disappeared when MAC brought the fridge packs in. Now all we have is Fresca and a very little bit of Mello Yello. When Surge first came out, they had a machine of all Surge spots at Wal-Mart here, and the cans were free. You just went up to the machine, pushed a button, and Surge came out. I bet for you guys, this is what dreams are made of.

I didn't like it then, but I have different tastes than I did then. I want to retry it, but now it's impossible to find. I haven't seen any in a very long time.

Best of luck getting Surge back around. Teaming it w/Mello Yello instead of letting Mello Yello replace it would be a great idea. All 4 of Coke's citrus drinks have a different taste (least Surge, Fresca, and Mello Yello do). I admit I never did try Citra, I might have to.

karks88
06-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Free SURGE, right out of the machine!?!?! If only I'd seen that thing, I would have camped out there for a week smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words! We are working hard to try and bring SURGE back in some form. Coke doesn't have a single citrus beverage that's going to outsell Dew, so they should be using their variety of products as an answer.

By the way, if any of you folks in the industry subscribe to Beverage World magazine, look for SaveSURGE.org to appear in the June issue! They made a couple of mistakes in the article but we're hoping this feature will turn some heads at Coke.

teamtitan512
06-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Today while in town, walked in a restaurant that formerly had Pepsi products, but had just switched to Coke. The sticker on the machine was obviously Surge, but right over the Surge was a narrow dark green sticker w/2 small Mello Yello logos.

Also found one of the new style machines w/a Surge spot still. I'll have to go there, push it, and see what comes out. They replaced Citra w/an original Mello Yello logo, looks kind of weird, it's sized just to fit over the old Citra bottle.

Maybe it's still around here, and I'll find out.

karks88
06-17-2003, 06:03 PM
I hate when I see a fountain that clearly used to have SURGE like that. Then when I see something like Minute Maid Orange replacing it (as I did this past weekend in Shippensburg) I wonder why in the world did they even replace it? Is Minute Maid going to outsell SURGE by that much? As for Mello Yello, I know that in my area it's not going to outsell SURGE.

fusion
07-21-2003, 10:09 PM
I was out driving around today, when I passed by a small deli/convenience store/sub shop type place. I was really shocked to see a Surge bottle shaped cooler on their front porch. Just thought I'd share. smile.gif

SURGE
08-02-2003, 02:27 AM
I love those coolers!!

karks88
08-02-2003, 10:56 AM
One is being auctioned on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3619853072&category=37

Shatter
08-25-2003, 02:43 AM
I just found one of those freebie Surge CDs that were mailed out in 1996. Some of the songs are okay. One song sounds like it was written by third graders and sung by retarded howler monkeys. I don't have the track listings anymore. Can anyone help me with the music lineup?

karks88
08-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Here's the tracklist:

01 Jimmy Eat World - Seventeen
02 Little John - Shoelace
03 I Mother Earth - Another Sunday
04 Us3 - Come On Everybody (Get Down)
05 Luscious Jackson - Electric
06 Skeleton Key - Watch The Fat Man Swing
07 Stir - Looking For
08 My Head - Killer Hair
09 Supernova - Vitamins
10 Five For Fighting - Bella's Birthday Cake
11 Silverjet - Kid
12 The Hazies - Dancin' At Seven

Shatter
08-26-2003, 02:12 AM
I was thinking about putting one or two of them on my iPod, but needed some names. Thanks!

karks88
08-26-2003, 10:26 PM
You're very welcome! I think it's kind neat to see that some of those bands are now famous, but they were nobodies when that cd came out.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-29-2003, 06:14 PM
i love that cd. it's has cult notoriety among my friends.

SURGE
09-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Truely a great CD! Don't forget to check us out on the radio if your in Madison. Otherwise check the site after for a recording.

MISTICman
09-13-2003, 10:28 PM
Hey guys...
Have any of you tried 7-Up's dnL? It ALMOST tastes like Surge. The first sip I had reminded me of it. The color is darker, and it tastes like it might have MORE caffeien than Surge. It's a pretty good drink!

Keep these posts coming. Next spring I may have to travel and get me a case or 2 of Surge.

SURGE
12-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Heck yeh man dnL rocks!

ben
03-24-2004, 04:18 AM
i phoned coca-cola today and they said that SURGE is not cancled and that they still make the syurp and its up to your local coca-cola boattler to boattle it