PDA

View Full Version : Mr. PiBB / PiBB Xtra

Gary C
08-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Posted this in the General Discussion area before I found this "Product Location" area, which is where it belongs...

I am looking for a local place in the New Jersey / New York area that sells Mr. PiBB / PiBB Xtra in bottles or cans. I've only seen it in fountains. I understand the reason has to do with Coke's agreement and bottling of Dr Pepper in this area. However, I thought there still might be some hope of finding it in the area, perhaps in a liquor store or somewhere? Thanks in advance.

Gary

steveu
08-20-2002, 06:45 PM
Coke does Dr. Pepper here in Huntsville, Ala. and I can't find Pibb Xtra anywhere. Really sux.

Gary C
08-21-2002, 12:05 AM
Maybe there is a place out where we can order it and have it shipped? I looked at many in the past couple of weeks, and although they all seem to carry a large variety of sodas, I have yet to find one that carries either Mr. PiBB or PiBB Xtra. Hard to believe! Perhaps we'll get a reply here soon.

Terry K
08-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Gary C:
Posted this in the General Discussion area before I found this "Product Location" area, which is where it belongs...

I am looking for a local place in the New Jersey / New York area that sells Mr. PiBB / PiBB Xtra in bottles or cans. I've only seen it in fountains. I understand the reason has to do with Coke's agreement and bottling of Dr Pepper in this area. However, I thought there still might be some hope of finding it in the area, perhaps in a liquor store or somewhere? Thanks in advance.

GaryWe at the salute to soda have been informed that the nearest place to get Pibb/Xtra is in PA outside the Philly area, as well as Delaware.

steveu
09-01-2002, 09:50 PM
I found Pibb Xtra a little downstate in Gasden.

Gary C
09-03-2002, 10:11 AM
I hear that Pibb can be found in the Scranton, PA area. I am wondering if anyone has seen it east of Scranton, maybe in the Matamoras area near Port Jervis, New York?

fusion
09-06-2002, 03:25 AM
Hmm. I am not 100% sure of the territories out there. I haven't lived up that way for a few years. But I'll do my best.

Coca Cola New York (aka CCE NY) has northern New Jersey as well as metro NYC and some of central NY, like Albany, Glens Falls, and Syracuse. Some of their markets don't have Pepper, but I don't know which.

Herbco used to have the territory in NE PA, but CCE bought them out last year, and the PA territories joined up with the Eastern Great Lakes Division of CCE. Their Pepper coverage is spotty, but I don't recall seeing Pibb in their non-Pepper areas.

In the greater Allentown area, ABARTA is the Coke bottler, and they do have Pepper.

Honestly, my best guesses would be Harrisburg, Lancaster, York, or Maryland.

karks88
09-06-2002, 09:44 AM
I can tell you that Harrisburg definitely does not have Pibb or Pibb Xtra. York and Lancaster may have it. I know that Chambersburg had Pibb as of about 6 months ago which was the last time I was down there.

Also, I did see Pibb Xtra on a trip out to Western PA recently. It was in a PA Turnpike rest area (their rest areas include Burger Kings, Sunoco Stations, etc). If I remember correctly, it was about 1/2 hour west of the Blue Mountain exit.

Gary C
09-24-2002, 12:43 PM
:mad: It looks like a losing battle, trying to get specific information on the closest store where I can find Pibb anywhere within reasonable distance of northeast New Jersey. I contacted a couple of bottlers in the northeast PA, and NY areas, both of which were no help. One of them referred me to the Rochester bottler, but I have not contacted them yet.

It seemed like the closest area to find it was in northeast PA. The further east, the better for me. So with Coke being no help, the only way is word of mouth I guess.

fusion
09-25-2002, 12:24 AM
Ok, I work for CCE, in the Mid-Atlantic Division. That includes most of Maryland, plus southern Delaware, parts of Virginia and North Carolina. We sell Pibb Xtra. I guarantee it.

CCE Eastern Great Lakes has Pibb in some of their areas, but not in others. They still have Pepper franchises from the days when the bottlers were independent. I know a good portion of NE Pennsylvania has Pepper. but like I said before, I don't recall seeing Pibb in the areas where Coke didn't have Pepper.

But in the markets that were previously part of the old CCE Capitol Division (Sunbury, Lancaster, Harrisburg), they should have Pibb. But it looks like Harrisburg doesn't.. Not sure why, since Pepsi has Pepper up there. I can only vouch for Lancaster, since I go there often, but haven't been in the other two markets for quite some time.

Central Coca-Cola also has Pibb. They own the Coke bottler in York, PA, which covers York and Adams counties, probably even further west in PA... And down into Maryland, with the western three counties. They have Pibb there as well.

Chambersburg should have Pibb. they are Central Coke, coming out of Hagerstown.

I can guarantee you won't find Pibb in NJ. Northern NJ is CCE - NY and Southern NJ is Philadelphia Coke. Both have Pepper franchises.

Hmm..........A thought. Central doesn't actually can anything. they buy their cans from Mid-Atlantic Canners, who are in Hamburg, PA. That really isn't that far from NE NJ. Maybe you could call them and find out what bottlers they sell Pibb Xtra to.

If you're ever in the mood to come down to Maryland, it's about a three hour drive from NE NJ. Just stay on 95 south, and get off at the second exit in Maryland, which is MD 272. Take this south. You'll come to a light, and go straight across US 40 and make the first right. There's a Food Lion there that carries Pibb. The Acme across the street might have it, but that store really is a dump and I wouldn't go there, personally.

We also have Mad River and Mello Yello, as well as MM Fruit Sodas (grape and orange) both in cans... We actually have 25 different kinds of 12 pack cans.

The bottler in Rochester is CCE, part of the Eastern Great Lakes division. I think that was old Chicago Coke (Herbco) territory.

Buffalo is Abarta, though. Their website lists Pibb as part of their portfolio, but I have been told that Abarta is very slow to update their website. Don't know if they carry Pibb still. I would call ahead to make sure.

drpep
09-25-2002, 11:35 AM
I have bought Pibb Extra in Buffalo not to long ago.

karks88
09-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Don't trust Abarta's site, they still list SURGE! I even wrote to ask them if this was correct and they said they hadn't updated the site in awhile.

Harrisburg and surrounding areas doesn't have Pibb, for whatever reason. Like you said Fusion, Pepsi carries Dr Pepper up here but they just never tried to sell Pibb. You will find it in Chambersburg, though.

Gary C
09-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks. I will try giving Mid-Atlantic Canners in Hamburg, PA a call to see how far I will get. If I do end up getting a list of bottlers that they sell Pibb Xtra to, what next? I would have to call all of the bottlers, and then they'd give me a list of distributors, then I call all the distributors, and I can get a list of stores? Hopefully, I am wrong, but it seems like an endless series of phone calls, possibly leading nowhere, but...I will give it a try since there is no other way, unless of course there is an underground Pibb distribution network, "putting it in the heads" of all those who live in Pibb deprived areas.

I will certainly keep my eyes open on the very rare occasions when I am out in Pibb territory such as Maryland. Pibb isn't really that important to me, but finding it has become an interesting challenge.

fusion
09-26-2002, 09:25 PM
No...... If Mid-Atlantic tells you what bottlers they sell to, then all you would have to know is what territory those bottlers cover. The bottlers deliver direct to the stores, in most cases. I know there is a weird situation somewhere in Nevada.. and in Europe it's ran differently as well. But that's not important here, lol.

Most bottlers are pretty good about getting all their brands authorized and carried in the big chains. We've got Pibb Xtra in all our chains down here now.

Karks, that is weird that CCE never sold Pibb in Harrisburg. That used to be part of our division, and we've always had Pibb down here.

Gary C
10-19-2002, 12:14 AM
I finally got around to calling Mid-Atlantic Canners in Hamburg, PA. They said they sell to bottlers mostly in Virgina and Maryland. The furthest east area in PA they sell to is in York, PA. The person I spoke to indicated that PiBB might be available in the Poconos area, via CCE, but she seemed only to be guessing.

So, unless it is really available in the Poconos, it looks like the nearest PiBB location is still a few hours drive from the Northeast NJ / NYC area.

Has anyone seen PiBB out there in the Poconos? I haven't been out that way in a long time.

karks88
10-19-2002, 11:16 AM
I went to the Poconos last year and I did stop into a SureFine grocery store. I don't recall seeing Pibb, but this was a pretty small store so maybe they just didn't have the shelf space?

fusion
10-21-2002, 01:28 PM
I have been up that way, back when Herbco owned the bottling, and after that, when CCE acquired the territories.

MAC doesn't sell to that area anymore, CCE must have ended the contract. MAC is smack dab in the middle of CCE territory.

Anyway, I don't think Herbco ever sold Pibb. I do know they had Dr Pepper in parts of their territory. Now all the stuff that is sold in the Poconos comes mostly from New York (KE, KM), Ohio (TB) or Baltimore (BT). I do know they were without flavor sodas for a while, because they dumped Sunkist/Welch's and then went with Fanta before the new MM came out.

The Coke offices in that area are in Pittston (south of Scranton).. (570) 655-2874 and Mount Pocono (570) 839-6706.

bigrich
10-21-2002, 08:39 PM
CCE Tri-States sells Pibb Xtra. Our plant HO in Indianapolis used to be a old Herbco plant. Herbco sold Pibb in Chicago, Milwaukee, & Indianapolis for many years, in fact at one time we had it in returnable bottles. Also MAC-Hamburg sells product (including Pibb Xtra) to a couple of small (still) Independent bottlers in Indiana.

Gary C
10-22-2002, 12:32 PM
I think the best way of finding Pibb in a particular area is to find the phone numbers of the town's large supermarkets, give them a call, and ask. Contacting CCE or the bottlers seems to go nowhere, and usually results in them referring you to another bottler in another area, who then refers you to someone else, etc. At least that has been my experience so far.

steveu
10-22-2002, 08:06 PM
I didn't mention earlier that it was widely available in Atlanta. In fact, I liked it even better from a convenience store fountain than the can/plastic bottle..

Gary C
10-23-2002, 10:28 AM
I imagine Atlanta would be a prime place to find PiBB, being the Coke headquarters. The only way I've been able to get PiBB in cans or bottles has been when someone I know from Atlanta bought some and brought it up for me on a trip back up to the NJ/PA area. If I want it from a fountain, I can practically walk to the nearest location, though.

teamtitan512
05-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Can you find it in or around Baltimore/DC? I can't remember as I haven't been there in a while if it's there, but Dr Pepper is Pepsi there, and CCE Mid-Atlantic then might carry it.

Forget PA, other than Franklin, Adams, York, Bedford, and Fulton counties (Central Coke), you don't have a chance of finding it. Herbco territories that don't have Pepper don't have Pibb either, Harrisburg doesn't have it, and you won't find it in immediate Pittsburgh or Philadelphia (both have Dr Pepper). I'd say maybe around Erie, but from NYC that's going to be way out there, and I'm not even sure, I'd say they have whatever they have around Cleveland, which I don't know.

fusion
06-09-2003, 10:05 PM
Yes, Pibb Xtra is readily available in Baltimore/DC. Both are in CCE Mid-Atlantic territory. Pibb Xtra is only sold in 20oz and 12 pack cans in our area. Central sells it in cubes and 2 liters as well. I'd love to see it in 16.9, but I have a feeling that the brand is not strong enough anywhere in the country for that package. The date codes on those bottles are really short.

Oh, and an update to a previous message. We now sell 31 different flavors of 12 packs, lol. Will it ever end? 20 feet is NOT enough to adequately stock all those flavors.

Terry K
06-10-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
Yes, Pibb Xtra is readily available in Baltimore/DC. Both are in CCE Mid-Atlantic territory. Pibb Xtra is only sold in 20oz and 12 pack cans in our area. Central sells it in cubes and 2 liters as well. I'd love to see it in 16.9, but I have a feeling that the brand is not strong enough anywhere in the country for that package. The date codes on those bottles are really short.
Kansas City has Xtra in 16.9 oz, and had Pibb prior to it. PiBB did quite well in Kansas City, and as I understand it, Sioux City may also have 16.9 oz XTRA.

Plant LX, Lenexa KS runs 16.9 oz PiBB

sundrop
06-10-2003, 06:03 PM
consolidated carries pibb xtra in their areas they do not have pepper. We have 20oz, 2ltr and fridgepacks.

I know how you feel about having so many flavors of 12pks. I counted 34 in our ordering computer the other day. We are getting pink lemonade and grape medley sometime soon. That will be 36 flavors.

teamtitan512
06-11-2003, 06:53 PM
So is this Consolidated's way of possibly worming out Fanta by adding Grape Medley? I know they had Fanta Orange, Grape, Strawberry, and Pineapple, but then added Valencia Orange. I figure Fanta must be doing poorly across the country, and it will go back to Europe and Mexico, and leave the US to Minute Maid. CCE and Central don't even bother with it, now Consolidated is looking to do the same.

teamtitan512
06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
So is this Consolidated's way of possibly worming out Fanta by adding Grape Medley? I know they had Fanta Orange, Grape, Strawberry, and Pineapple, but then added Valencia Orange. I figure Fanta must be doing poorly across the country, and it will go back to Europe and Mexico, and leave the US to Minute Maid. CCE and Central don't even bother with it, now Consolidated is looking to do the same.

sundrop
06-11-2003, 07:34 PM
The only flavor I have heard mentioned about possibly being cut is strawberry. We recently added peach to our fanta lineup and it may replace strawberry. I asked someone why we need to carry 2 oranges or 2 grapes and he told me that ccbcc has to carry minutemaid orange. It is part of the agreement that ccbcc has with coke USA in atlanta. So maybe this the reason we are adding grape medley.

Believe it or not we sell fanta fairly well. We do not have many out of date issues with it. Pricing helps with this, fanta is just about always sold at a reduced price compared to coke and the other core flavors.

fusion
06-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Fanta does sell fairly well, I agree. About as well as can be expected for a marginal flavor that isn't promoted enough.

We are at 99ยข for 2 liters and $2.99 for 12 packs everyday in most of our accounts. Food Lion will run it at a lower price if the rest of the Coke lineup is on sale (we had $1.99 full line 12 packs for Memorial Day, and Fanta was included).

Fanta and Minute Maid are really nothing like each other. Fanta Orange tastes remotely similar to the old Minute Maid, if anything. Fanta Strawberry kicks MM Strawberry's ass.. And I thought Lemon was a great flavor, but it didn't sell worth a crap.

I blame Coke and CCE for not promoting their smaller brands enough. When's the last time you saw an ad for anything besides Coke, Sprite, or Vanilla Coke?

Ok, I admit I have seen ONE ad for Fanta, but that's it.

fusion
06-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh, and Central did have Fanta, if only for a hot minute. I was either in Franklin or Adams county in PA, and I saw displays of Fanta 2 liters in a few stores. I think I also saw it at a Wally World.. but the next time I went through the area, it was all but gone.

The whole Fanta thing is similar to Citra. They tried to sell it in areas where nobody knew about it, and it failed. Citra went head to head with Squirt, but Squirt is a really weak brand, at least in the Mid-Atlantic. I know Herbco carried it, and CCE dropped it after the merger. Canada Dry Potomac sells it, but that's the only C-D bottler around here that does. I bet Fanta does well in Hispanic markets.. Who's in Texas and can comment?

Shatter
06-12-2003, 03:18 AM
When's the last time you saw an ad for anything besides Coke, Sprite, or Vanilla Coke?
Have you seen those stupid commercials with the Spice Girl wannabees dancing and singing about Fanta? Those commercials aren't as stupid as your average Old Navy ad, but it's close.

Fanta does sell well here. From what my store's Pepsi rep told me, Texas is 44% hispanic. That's why they put the word 'Si' onto the Pepsi logos here. The Orange Fanta does really well. That one seems to move the quickest, then Pineapple would be next. I don't have any sales figures to back that up, I just see those two moving quickly amongst our customers. The apple just slowly moves along, not selling well enough to warrant making them in fridge packs.

I guess Coke brought in Cactus Cooler to sell to the hispanic community, but it didn't take off. I haven't seen that one around in months.

karks88
06-12-2003, 03:04 PM
Fanta Grape & Orange are back at the Carlisle, PA Wal Mart. Just picked up a 12 pack of Orange the other day. Last time they had it was right after their grand opening, it lasted a week or two and then dissappeared.

Oh, and we still don't have Pibb/Pibb Xtra around here in any prepackaged form. There is a pizza shop in town that has Pibb in their fountain, if anybody wants the address let me know.

[ 06-12-2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

teamtitan512
06-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Yea, I know Central had Fanta 2 liters for about a week here only at Giant Eagle and Wal-Mart. We had Orange, Grape, Strawberry, and Lemon when we had it.

I take it the MM you're referring to is the old Strawberry, the fruit lineup doesn't have one yet, just the orange and grape. Since Coke owns the rights to both, why does Consolidated have to sell Minute Maid? Why can't they make the choice of what one they'd like to sell.

Squirt is extremely weak in the Mid-Atlantic. Other than in the old Herbco territories where you'd always find it, Squirt, other than an occassional 2L or 12 pack at a market, which isn't always around, you never see it otherwise. RC Winchester doesn't fool w/it I know, but when you have Mountain Dew rights, why would you fool w/anything even close to a citrus drink?

bigrich
06-13-2003, 02:17 AM
A little off the topic, but a few weeks ago I tried Minute Maid Fruit Soda. It was really good and did not taste like Fruit Punch.

karks88
06-13-2003, 10:50 AM
I don't even believe this but last night I found Pibb Xtra! It was in 12 packs at Saylor's ShurFine in Newville, PA. There was just one row of it in the bev isle, along with Mello Yello. I think that's only grocery store around here that carries MY and I know it's the only one that carries Pibb.

teamtitan512
06-13-2003, 05:33 PM
Newville is in what county? I think it's in Cumberland, and the Southern part of Cumberland county around Shippensburg may be served by Central instead of CCE. Maybe that's why you found Pibb and Mello Yello. Were they in fridge packs?

karks88
06-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Correct! Newville is in Cumberland county, about 20 minutes south of Carlisle, 45 minutes south of Harrisburg. They were just old-school 12 packs. My girlfriend found me a few last 12 packs of expired Citra there awhile back and they are CCE.

fusion
06-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Shippensburg is Central. I actually ran into the salesman at the Food Lion there. That's as far as their territory goes.

If Newville is CCE, it's served out of Lemoyne.

Fridge packs are on their way to CCE territories in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. We have two pallets of Classic in our warehouse. I get to set up some shelves and displays for training next week.. Woohoo.. ;) Official start of the rollout is July 14th-21st.

teamtitan512
06-14-2003, 12:17 AM
I thought Shippensburg was Central most likely. I think it's good to innovate, but those innovations need to be in the right direction, and Fridge Packs aren't going to make me buy more anything. What will is keeping good products around, and not ditching others w/loyal fanbases.

karks88
06-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Excellent point! As I was just telling a friend, Coke should realize that all of their secondary brands have hardcore followings. Just look at this message board, always somebody asking for a hard-to-find Coke product. They're selling KMX through this website, why not sell some of the brands bottlers don't to want to distribute nationally? How much would it really cost Coke to do something like that? Whatever their cost, I think it would be worth doing because they'd make their customers loyal for a long time to come.

teamtitan512
06-14-2003, 07:01 PM
I say bring Surge, Citra, Mello Yello flavors, and some of other ones all on the 'net, or give independent bottlers incentives to pick them up, like reduced costs or something. Ditch stupid Tab and other loser flavors that don't sell. Central finally ditched Tab as I haven't seen since the Fridge Packs came here, but at the same time they ditched Citra, and we've been seeing Diet Seagram's now, something we never had before. Raspberry Seagram's is now in 2L here, and we never had it before either.

bigrich
06-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Someone should buy a small warehouse perhaps near Hamburg, PA and should let MAC co-op these odd flavors. The warehouse could than sell these products on-line to any address in the United States that is unserved by their local Coca-Cola Bottler. This could be determined by a Zip Code search. So anyone wanting Pibb could buy it, or Citra, etc. if their local bottler does not care enough about the product to produce it. :D

[ 06-14-2003, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

fusion
06-14-2003, 10:42 PM
Philadelphia Coke has made the mistake of selling Seagram's Seltzer in 2 liters.. We had a hard time selling it in the NYC area, which is a huge seltzer area, I can't imagine how much of this crap they are going to get stuck with.

CCE goofed when they decided to put Vanilla in 24oz. We are never going to see the same numbers from the first year, and it is hard enough to sell the stuff in 16.9oz.. What were they thinking?

OTOH, they also put Nestea Cool in 24oz.. The indie Pepsi bottler we go up against in the territory I work in doesn't carry Brisk 24oz, so I know we will have a leg up there. Plus, our everyday is $2.99 ($2.50 in Wally), while he's at $5.19-$6.79 (rediculous, I know).

steveu
07-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Had an unexpected Pibb XTRA sighting last week. Found a 2-liter in a c-store just south of Huntsville, AL; I think I'd crossed over into Morgan County or something. Different territory? Wasn't able to confirm if it can be had consistently there, though. Also, it had an almost-bad date on it, so I didn't buy it.

karks88
07-08-2003, 05:03 PM
bigrich that is an awesome idea! I hadn't seen your post before today but man that would be great to see. If I ever win the lottery or something I would love to open up a place like that.

teamtitan512
07-09-2003, 02:47 AM
Here's another thing I don't like about Central Coke....and that's their constant shuffling of preferred brands. They always have Coke, its flavors, Diet Coke, and Sprite featured, but then they cycle around the rest, going from Mello Yello, Minute Maid, Pibb, Seagram's and Barq's. These ones will get included in 20 oz. machines for a while, and then they'll cycle around, and they'll almost vanish.

Right now Pibb seems to have vanished for a while. It also appears Tab has seen its last days in Western MD.

teamtitan512
07-10-2003, 04:07 AM
Pibb actually has now become available again, and Barq's has vanished. I looked all over today and couldn't find any Barq's in FP's sadly enough.

fusion
07-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Some sales centers and indies like to have a focus brand for the month. They'll pick a brand and put it on all the displays, in addition to the regular brands.

teamtitan512
07-10-2003, 09:45 PM
Maybe this is just what the Cumberland Sales Center loves to do for some reason. I just wish they'd bring more of a variety.

surgewisc
07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
i know you might not care about wisconsin YET but if it continues to disapear you may need to use it as a last resort, i havent seen mr pibb for about a year, but pibb XTRA is plentiful in my nearby manitowoc county, in 20 oz in c-stores

ben
03-24-2004, 04:56 AM
here in mami coca-cola has dr.pepper