PDA

View Full Version : VA to Florida road trip advice

mello yello
01-08-2003, 12:07 AM
in a little more than a week i plan to make the great road trip from northern virginia to orlando. does anyone have any good advice on places to stop to find good drinks?
i hope to find and stock up on some mello yello cherry and mello yello melon (i'm guessing georgia is my best hope for melon). aside from that i guess i'd like to find cherry lemon sundrop and whatever other good drinks the south has to offer. if anyone has any tips for specific places i can check out that aren't too far off my path (don't have a lot of extra time) please let me know!

drpep
01-08-2003, 01:13 AM
I made a similar trip in September. The only place I found MY Melon was an exit of I-95 near Savannah. It was one row of 20oz bottles in a cooler. Darien, Georgia exit had Frostie products.
Mello Yello Cherry was found in most stores along Rt 220 in VA and NC.
You will find Sundrop around Rocky Mount, NC. Sadlers off the Emporia, VA I-95 exit had some different stuff.
I brought up a posting about my trip for you to read.

[ 01-08-2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

FitzgeraldHead
01-08-2003, 02:48 AM
If you happen to take I-81 through Virginia, I know that the Bristol area had a gas station that carried Mello Yello Cherry... I honestly don't remember if they had Mellon or not. I just remember Cherry, because I bought it there. DP suggests 220, which is probably more on your track, so I'd try that in the Roanoke area. I don't think Atlanta caries Mello Yello or Sundrop(at least to my knowledge). I'm not too familiar with coastal GA. The northeastern mountains use an RC/Nehi bottler out of Toccoa. I have seen Sundrop before off of 441/23, but then again, unless you want to head through the Georgia mountains, this would be out of your way. In case you ever go to Middle Tennessee, they have Cherry Lemon Sundrop off of I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga.

mickstafa
01-08-2003, 03:11 AM
Speaking from Greenville, SC here is what we have:
-All Stewart's except Birch Beer
-Lots of Faygo (all?) including rock n rye, etc.
-Nehi orange, grape, blue, peach
-Cheerwine, glass, can, plastic
-A&W glass
-Sundrop glass, can, etc
-Mello Yello Cherry (NO FREAKIN MELON ANYMORE!! GRR.. ME = MAD... Melon is best Coke drink ever)
-Dr Enuf, Big Red, Tab (yeucch)
-More stuff, reply if you are looking in particular.

If you go through Atlanta, I know where to get:
-Red Rock (VERY GOOD and old cola / ginger beer)
-Frostie (all)
-Moxie (orange, cherry, regular, cream soda)
-Sphrechers (sp?)
-Loco (never had)
-Bryars
-a few others I cannot remember names to.

Well, thats it. I would trade most of these listed for access to Mello Yello Melon. That drink was so dang good. It really is a shame its nowhere to be found. If you can help me out to get some, let me know!

fusion
01-08-2003, 04:09 AM
Make sure you stop at the Super Wally in Staunton VA. They have the pure cane sugar glass Dr Pepper there. It's right off of I-81, on US 250.

You'll probably be hard pressed to find any Cherry Mello Yello in that area. I think the bottler in Staunton is Central Coke, and the bottler in Lynchburg is Coke Consolidated. I ran into a salesman down in the Lynchburg area when I was down there, and he told me that they discontinued Melon and Cherry.

Too bad you weren't going to the panhandle of Florida. I'd suggest taking a trip down through Columbus Georgia, and then crossing over the line into Alabama, and then going down to Dothan. I saw plenty of Melon down those ways -- Coke Consolidated territory.

You might be able to find Northern Neck or Carver's Ginger Ales in Virginia. Coca-Cola bought these brands from a small bottler (Northern Neck), and Central Coke is now carrying them in some parts of their territory. I spotted them in Pennsylvania a few months ago.

fusion
01-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Oh, I forgot. If you're down in the Augusta area, check out their 3 liter Coke crates. Very interesting. That's Coke United territory.

FitzgeraldHead
01-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Mickstafa.... Blue Nehi in Greenville?!?!? I would like very much to know where (from I-85) to get it.

mickstafa
01-09-2003, 03:34 AM
Yep! I tried it for the first (and only) time a few weeks ago. It is at a gas station 2 mins from my school (Furman). E-mail me at wallis.larkins@furman.edu if you need more info or need help getting it!

mickstafa
01-09-2003, 03:48 AM
Ok, you all can still e-mail me for details, but here is what you need to do....

Once you get in the greenville series of exits from 85, take 185 North to Greenville (not Columbia). You will drive on this highway, pass when it turns into a normal road, and keep going until you come to Downtown greenville (you will be on Church street by now.. but same road as 185, different name). You then take a left on Beattie. This road will change names like 5 times, but just stick with it going straight. The only real tricky part is this road will come to a fork , at which you want to keep RIGHT (an Anglican Church will be at the intersection). From that point on, you will be on the road with the Nehi. Keep going, past like 5 or 6 lights.... You will pass the Pleasantburg intersection. At the next light there is a Gas station on the right - thats the one with the nehi. They have peach too, I believe. Look up exact milage on www.mapquest.com, (http://www.mapquest.com,) but thats basically it! E-mail me or reply if you need more help.... If you have access to MY Melon, I'd love to trade drinks!

If you want me to drive over there and pick up a few to send you I can do that too. I don't know how many they have or anything like that. I was just so suprised to see that there, seeing all the publicity Nehi gets on these boards!
-Mick

[ 01-09-2003, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: mickstafa ]

mickstafa
01-09-2003, 03:51 AM
Oh also, the eckard before that gas station also has some nice glass drinks... glass cheerwine, nehi's, a&w, etc. Check it out! And the Ingles in the shopping center across the street has all but 3 stewart's flavors! mmmm! I just wish we still had Mello Yello Melon. :(

drpep
01-09-2003, 11:17 PM
Eckerds? :eek: I'll have to change my beverage searching patterns now. I always thought the good stuff would be found in gas stations, convienence stores, mom and pops or maybe certain big grocers.
I never thought to check the drug chains.

FitzgeraldHead
01-09-2003, 11:54 PM
As soon as I find a free weekend to drive up, I'll email you, and I will come up there. I used to go to a camp in the summer up in Spartanburg... the only drinks I'd get on the way were Sun Drop and Cheerwine. The only flavors of I could ever find were Strawberry, Peach, and Orange at various gas stations around Fair Play and Anderson. Who knew I was so close to something I wanted so badly (technically, it's off of the same road that I see almost daily... Hwy 29 also runs through my neck of the woods). Two and a half hours (give or take) isn't bad at all to get Blue Nehi. By the way, have you tried Stewart's Lemon Meringue or Ginger Beer? I haven't seen either in some time, so I assume that they have been discontinued.

mickstafa
01-10-2003, 01:22 AM
I have all the Stewart's (check out my webpage! http://alpha.furman.edu/~wlarkins/stewarts.html ).Lemon Merengue was discontinued a few years ago, and is VERY hard to find, although I have about a little under a dozen left. Ginger Beer is still made and can be found fairly easily in certain areas, mainly Atlanta... the same holds true for Strawberries N' Cream. The Lemon Stewart's is quite an amazing drink. I think the only reason why they disc'ed it was because it was similar to Key Lime. Anyways, if you can find it somehow, its worth the search!

[ 01-10-2003, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: mickstafa ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-13-2003, 01:30 AM
when you're on your way back home, stop by michigan (cuz we're on the way) and return your bottles smile.gif

SplitLevelP
01-13-2003, 11:49 PM
In college park Ga on the same road as airport (sorry not sure what cross street)there is a little bodega that has coke and pepsi in mexi size 11 or 11.7 ounce thick glass bottles I don't know where they got it but if you get a chance check stores along that strip.

mello yello
01-14-2003, 10:07 PM
thanks for the tips everyone. thanks for bringing up your trip report dr. pepperman, that was great!
well, i head out friday, hopefully i will make some good finds. years back on a similar trip i happened upon some classic 10 oz mello yello glass bottles at a NC general store. i have no idea where exactly it was or if they still carry them, but again i'll be looking for mello yello- in any form, and who knows what i will find. . .
about eckerd, i think they, more than other drug stores have unique soda selection at times (although i first found vanilla coke here at cvs before it hit the c-stores). for example, about a year ago, the eckerd here in philly had sundrop in glass bottles! you can't find sundrop anywhere around here, which is what made it all the more weird. it was around for a few months, but now it is gone.

fusion
01-15-2003, 03:56 AM
Ooh, I know who sold that. smile.gif

Superior Beverages out of Phoenixville, PA. They carry all the DPSU brands that Canada Dry doesn't, plus some indie brands. I know they had Cheerwine for a while as well.

Sammy was a good friend of mine. I used to see him quite often, but now that I don't work in their territory, I've lost touch with him.

BTW, he said Sundrop sold terribly for them. That's probably why you didn't see it after that.

mickstafa
01-15-2003, 09:50 PM
Be sure to report back any sightings of Melon!

mello yello
01-23-2003, 10:48 AM
well, i think my trip was quite a success! i was able to come back with everything reasonable (and more) that i was hoping to find (including mello yello melon!) without having a whole lot of extra time to do real searching.
so let's see, a brief summary- if you have any specific questions about a more precise location where i found something, let me know and i may be able to help you out.
i started off getting cases of sundrop and mello yello at sadler's, emporia, va. then in fayetville, nc i got to try cherry lemon sundrop for the first time (20 oz. there, at a gas station). i was very impressed. i also found some 2L's of it on the way back, also in NC.
in lynchburg, sc i first spotted mello yello cherry. but it would also be other places, including orlando (my final destination).
in savannah i found cheerwine (not impressed, personally) and glass bottles of nehi grape. tried fanta strawberry there. enjoyed fountain mello yello at perkins.
in orlando itself i found fanta berry. it was really good!
then i stumbled upon a supermarket named goodies that had quite an amazing selection of everything. i loaded up there on some mello yello, mello yello cherry, fanta berry, and also got to try big peach. even found gatorade tropical for a friend (it is hard to find).
on the way back, the main highlight was finding mello yello melon. i pretty much didn't think it was going to happen. but i ran in a food lion in ridgeland, sc and came out grinning with 4 fridge packs.