PDA

View Full Version : MELLO YELLO MELON , MY MELON!!

drpep
06-14-2003, 12:00 PM
Mello Yello Melon is all over the Brunswick Georgia area in the fridge packs. Good sell by dates.
Brunswick is in Southern, Ga on I-95. Most grocers have it. Take the first Brunswick exit coming from the north and go east about 5 lights until you come th Harveys. While in there grab a 12oz glass of Welches,Sunkist,Cheerwine or Sundrop out of the A&W picnic coolers near the checkouts.

drpep
06-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Canner name to follow.( United? Its out of Chatanooga TN) Also Cherry MY is common from Roanoke, Va down to the Ga/Fl border.

smitty
07-21-2003, 03:09 AM
What's the furthest north anyone has seen
Mello Yello Melon?

bigrich
07-21-2003, 06:12 PM
I have seen it in Iowa in 20oz bottles from CCE plant RA. It is no longer available there. I have seen it in Southern Indiana out of CCE plant CV (Cleveland, TN) in 20oz bottles.

fusion
07-21-2003, 09:56 PM
I've saw it in (I think) Columbus and Cincinnati Ohio, out of Indianapolis (HO) when I was on my road trip last month. Traditional 3x4 12 packs, date codes were a good month and a half behind everything else.

Also spotted around Cleveland TN (CV) in Fridge Packs.. Diet MY, too.

bigrich
07-21-2003, 10:07 PM
I live in Indianapolis and we have never had Mello Melon, knowing CCE they probably can it here and don't even sell it here.

teamtitan512
07-22-2003, 01:01 AM
I thought I heard it was carried in NH by someone, I think CCNNE. That would be pretty much the farthest north. I'm sure at one time Consolidated had it as far north as Greene County, PA, the county in the SW corner of the state, their northernmost territory.

Nostalgia
07-22-2003, 05:49 AM
is Mello Yello melon any good?

fusion
07-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Yeah, it's really good. An interesting mix of citrus and melon.

Bigrich, CCE does that a lot. They'll sell some things in part of a division and not in others. We get a some authorizations for products that never make it up to Maryland, but you can see them all over southern Virginia.

I wonder of production facilities allow employee purchases.. I know our warehouse does, but we're a small operation.

karks88
07-22-2003, 05:47 PM
For those of you who don't have MY Melon in your area you can buy it online at:

http://www.pwclub.com

I had this site in another post earlier but just in case you hadn't seen it...I will probably buy a 12 pack of this at some point since it's not in my area.

Boris
07-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Harvey's no longer has mellow yellow melon comrade. I was there just yesterday. And that place is bloody ghetto. The store smells of urine. Oh its not on gylnn road either, its on altama or something.

drpep
07-22-2003, 10:04 PM
You must have been in a different store than I was, comrade.

fusion
07-23-2003, 04:06 AM
CCE Mid-Atlantic might start carrying Melon.. I converted a Food Lion over to Fridge Packs tonight, and when I was hanging the new tags, I saw a tag for Mello Yello Melon Fridge Packs.

Then again, I saw one for Citra Fridge Packs, so who knows. I'll have to ask at the office tomorrow.

karks88
07-23-2003, 09:33 AM
Citra Fridge Packs?!? Please tell me it's true!!

Shatter
07-24-2003, 02:45 AM
My Kroger has started stocking unusual drinks in fridge packs, like Red Flash and Cactus Cooler. I keep checking the back room for something a little more interesting, like MY Melon, Citra, or, dare I say, Surge. Coke's brought out Mello Yello a few times here over the years, so who knows what could happen. I can't imagine Red Flash ever selling better than something like Citra or Surge. And Dallas Coke doesn't have a citrus drink to compete with Mountain Dew. Other than Fresca, which doesn't really count.

I don't work the morning shift anymore, so I don't see the Coke truck driver, who seems to know more about the company's product than the Coke sales reps who stock the stuff. I need to ask them if Coke has some sort of 'suggestion box' or something.

karks88
07-24-2003, 09:26 AM
I imagine Coke is losing ground in the citrus battle every day. I'd love to see Mello Yello's national numbers, I can't imagine they're very good.

Boris
07-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
You must have been in a different store than I was, comrade.Yesterday I drove back up to brunswick and went to every exit and asked every person I could find about a harveys on a gylnn road. I eventually found another harveys and still no Mellow Yellow Melon. The only place I found MY Melon was that exit 3 in GA and they only had 2 cans that feel as if they are non-carbonated.

drpep
07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Sorry Glynn Road was a mistake. There is only one Harveys in Brunswick.

drpep
07-24-2003, 12:09 PM
Most grocery stores I stopped at in GA and up until and including the Food Lion in Ridgeland, SC had MY Melon.

fusion
07-24-2003, 07:13 PM
Another comment about the Indianapolis facility. I was looking at my trip stash, and I noticed that both the cans and 12 oz bottles of Ale-8-1 that I purchased in CCE territory were produced in the Indy facility. But CCE doesn't have Ale-8-1 in that area.

Boris
07-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by dr pepperman:
Most grocery stores I stopped at in GA and up until and including the Food Lion in Ridgeland, SC had MY Melon.Food Lion in Ridgeland, SC? Ok, Thank you.

drpep
07-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Yes Ridgeland. Someone else here also posted a find there sometime between 10/02 and 5/03.
I hope your looking for more than one type container. I found 20oz ,2 liter(rare), and fridge packs.

[ 07-24-2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

teamtitan512
07-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Thing is nationwide Mello Yello sales suck, but look in the Southeast, and sales for Mello Yello are comparable to Mountain Dew, maybe just a little less. Of course, this is the region where all the flavors are.

fusion
07-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Dew has been on a steady decline the past few years, with a 3.8% drop in 2001, and a 4.2% drop in 2002.

Mello Yello lost 4% in 2002, and 53.7 million cases were sold that year, compared to 655.9 million for Dew. Mello Yello sold 2x that of Fresca, and about 25% more than CF Classic, suprisingly.

Sure, MY's numbers are a drop in the bucket compared to Dew's, but markets in my area such as Philadelphia and New York City do not have Mello Yello.

Also, Dew is in every Pepsi display, and in every Pepsi cooler. If Coke only did the same for MY, I think we would see a rapid change in MY's numbers. Look at what Coke did with Dasani, creating the brand and sticking it in every cooler and almost every vending machine out there. It's the #2 water in the country now.

Also, Cherry Coke grew 17% in 2002, simply from changing the label, putting it in more coolers, and repositioning it closer to Classic than it was before. In most areas, Cherry was just another flavor, now it's part of brand Classic.

[ 07-25-2003, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

teamtitan512
07-26-2003, 01:19 AM
That's why Vanilla Coke and Sprite Remix are doing OK, there's nowhere you can go w/o seeing them. What Consolidated does w/Mello Yello is what more bottlers need to start doing.

karks88
07-26-2003, 11:33 AM
I'm sure putting MY in all the Coke displays would work for awhile, but I think when it comes down to it the brand will never put a dent in Dew. The southeast has always been the area where MY has it's highest success but it's doing nothing around here.

teamtitan512
07-26-2003, 09:30 PM
The thing is it's new to Central territory as well, but when they cycle it around through their "featured" brand, they can sell it. When the vending machines were put up during that time, they all had slots for Mello Yello (newer ones do not seem to) and the coolers were filled w/it, and it never had a problem selling. Central regionalizes its products so much it's sick, in some areas you can find tons of a Coke product, and the next county over, you will see none of it. There's a lot more Seagram's in Hagerstown than there is in Cumberland, but we seem to have more Pibb and Barq's. Mello Yello comes in and out of each area. We also seem to have a lot more Valencia Orange Minute Maid than Hagerstown. I haven't been to Virginia Central territory to see what is more predominant there.

smitty
08-06-2003, 04:54 PM
PWonline.com no longer stocks Mello Yello
Melon.

The search continues.

karks88
08-06-2003, 05:17 PM
I still see it listed, did they say they weren't getting it anymore?

SURGE
08-06-2003, 05:30 PM
MY will always do brisk sales in the fountain. Infact I would be willing to bet that MY sales are quite similar to Dew sales via fountain. The place where MY gets its ass handed to it is when its packaged. Few people buy MY when they have a choice. But when you have a market cornered like the fountain where somebody has little choice then they may chose MY. In a similar vein I'd like to point out that in 1997 Mr. Pibb outsold Cherry Coke.... nobody can tell me that that came from sales of 12 packs, it was all fountain im sure.

fusion
08-06-2003, 08:17 PM
I'm sure it was fountain as well.

In 2002, Cherry sold 78.3 mil cases, Pibb sold 76.8 mil. Cherry grew 17%, Pibb lost 1%. So, even up to 2001, Pibb outsold Cherry.. Even with so many strong Coke/Pepper markets, like Philadelphia, NYC, and so on.

I guess this is Coke's reasoning for the push of Vanilla into fountains. They finally got the syrup into Arby's, and I had a few cups of it earlier this week. It's pretty good in the fountain, and this should help Vanilla's #s.. Because like you said, fountain is almost always exclusive Coke or Pepsi, except for 7-11, and places where Pepper is on tap, like BK.

Shatter
08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Is MY Melon really gone from PWclub.com? I was planning on ordering some soon.

Boris
08-07-2003, 02:28 AM
I got the message that they stoped making it...

smitty
08-07-2003, 03:27 PM
Yes, eight days after placing the order, I received an e-mail, informing me their supplier no longer carries MYM.

bigrich
08-09-2003, 09:23 PM
I just bought 10 12-packs of MY Melon. It is indead still produced by CCE-Tri States plant (HO) Indianapolis. It is just produced here, but not sold here. I had to drive to Southern Indiana where it is distributed by Louisville Coca-Cola. I can't figure why they make it here if they don't sell it here? Perhaps because (HO) is one of the few remaining plants not producing fridge packs.

ben
03-24-2004, 04:40 AM
mello yello melon used to be here but then coca-cola stoped it :(

imawalkingcorpse
06-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by smitty:
Yes, eight days after placing the order, I received an e-mail, informing me their supplier no longer carries MYM. I just ordered some last night from PWclub.com. If they have quit selling it then I wonder why it is still listed on their site after all this time...

imawalkingcorpse
06-10-2004, 08:31 PM
Well I got the note from PWclub.com that they were no longer carrying it, or any of the other flavors. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this stuff?? Websites or anything? Any help would be appreciated, thanks Chris

imawalkingcorpse
06-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Am I to assume this stuff is gone for good??