PDA

View Full Version : What can I expect in Michigan?

steveu
08-21-2003, 04:58 PM
For better or worse, I'm moving to Michigan next week -- just across the bridge, actually, and am wondering what I'll be able to find outside of the normal, national Coke/Pepsi-type products. What are some other lines I can find up there?

I figure I can find Vernors and Faygo, since they have their roots in Detroit (or so my memory says) and Vernors is on my top-10 list. How about these ones?

Pibb XTRA
Mello Yello Afterglow & Melon
Mr. Green
Jolt
Cheerwine
others?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

bigrich
08-21-2003, 09:29 PM
You will find a big 10 cent deposit on everything.

teamtitan512
08-22-2003, 05:30 PM
Pibb Xtra - maybe in the Western part of the state, but forget it in Detroit (Dr Pepper = Coke).

MY Afterglow and Melon - again, No.

Mr. Green - maybe, not sure on that one.

Jolt - probably

Cheerwine - No

I think you can get some Monarch stuff there, and being in the South, you don't see much Squirt, but you'll see a lot more of it. Truth is, the arrangement is a little different there, but product-wise, I wouldn't really say there's anything special being offered.

steveu
08-22-2003, 06:59 PM
thanks so far

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-22-2003, 11:00 PM
i live in detroit.

coke has standards, with dr p. and squirt.

7up has nothing special.

pepsi has vernors and there hasn't been glass in years.

no one up here knows what cheerwine is

jolt's plentiful, as long as you look in the right areas.

crush is everywhere

there's faygo in 16oz glass
it's easy to get all 55 flavors of faygo.

ask me some more questions, i know the area really well (except for the upper peninsula).

what city are you living in? or are you living in windsor?

if you're in windsor, ontario, then you can probably find sprite ice, more flavors of crush (although in michigan, in glass alone, there's orange, strawb, grape, tropical fruit, pineapple, peach and cherry)

DJ Brian
10-07-2003, 03:37 AM
hey "RunWithDaLilGuy". Does Intrastate Bottling sell the Crush in cans or just the 16 oz glass?

Terry K
10-07-2003, 04:37 AM
I have a source for Vernors in long neck bottles. They've been spotted in various So. Cal grocery stores as of late! :D

RunWithDaLilGuy
10-07-2003, 04:51 PM
terry - ha! not in michigan.

also, instrastate sells crush in all sizes

6pk/12pk cans
12oz glass
16oz glass (They make)
20oz bottle
possibly half liters...
and they sell in 2-Liters, they make the tropical and pineapple themselves.

they also sell some monarch stuff like dad's.

fusion
10-11-2003, 08:44 PM
I had a Vernor's longneck the other day.. I brought it back from my road trip through the Eastern Great Lakes/South this summer. I found it at a high-brow grocery store in Akron OH, as well as Jungle Jim's in Fairfield OH. All of it was bottled by A&W Bottling in Everett WA. Code is EV.

Terry K
10-12-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
I had a Vernor's longneck the other day.. I brought it back from my road trip through the Eastern Great Lakes/South this summer. I found it at a high-brow grocery store in Akron OH, as well as Jungle Jim's in Fairfield OH. All of it was bottled by A&W Bottling in Everett WA. Code is EV.That would be the bottler in question. Which is my next project, to get together a list of who runs what in glass and where...here's what we know so far:

These are ones we've confirmed still run glass:

West Jefferson DP -> DP/Dew/RC/7up/Nehi/Crush/Cheerwine

Dublin DP -> Self explanitory

Middlesboro, KY -> Coke runs Mello Yello, Coke, etc.. The pepsi guy there has Dr Pepper and presumably most pepsi products in 10 oz.

Dr Pepper of Dallas -> Sunkist, A&W, RC

A&W of Everett WA -> Vernors (and I assume the products they sell, will confirm soon)

All 3 major bottling systems have plants who run Canada Dry/Schweppes in 10 oz glass as well. Coke's plant in MR (Marietta GA), unsure of Pepsi's.

fusion
10-12-2003, 10:08 PM
Coke also bottles glass in Needham Heights MA (NH). They produce 8oz/10oz coke products, plus 10oz Seagram's and Canada Dry.

Philadelphia Coke also produces 10oz Coke products. I think just Classic, though. They buy their 10oz Seagram's and 8oz Classic from NH.

I have a 4pk of "Dew Crew" longnecks from '99, produced by CPG-Pepsi. Not sure if they still run glass, though.

I'll have to look at some 10oz Pepsi & Schweppes products to see where they are bottled for the bottlers around here.

Davis Beverages in PA runs 10oz of various DPSU products, like Canada Dry and 7-Up.

DJ Brian
11-12-2003, 01:53 AM
L.E. Farrell Pepsi of Burlington, VT runs 7up in 10 oz. glass bottles :)

http://djbrian.com/pics/7up_burlington.jpg

And, I found Mug Rootbeer in 12 oz. longnecks!

http://djbrian.com/pics/mug.jpg

according to the guy I spoke with at the beverage store, LE Farrell runs one flavor of soda in 12 oz glass every summer. He said they stopped getting these in in September. I bought the last 4 they had, all expired the week before. I heard from a friend that last year's flavor was Mt Dew ;) I wonder if they'll run Code Red?!?

fusion
11-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Wow, a metal cap on the 10oz 7up, you don't see that anymore.

Mickeysquid
12-30-2003, 03:08 AM
Terry K, Good luck on your quest. I brought back 10 cases of longneck Vernors from Oh (a Toledo grocer) about 2 years ago. I am making another trip soon. Can anyone tell me where I will find Longnecks in Vernors, Hires, Dr. Pepper or any others in the Toledo or SE MI area. For that matter I will stop anywhere en route from Southern NJ to those areas.

glassbottlesrule
12-30-2003, 02:12 PM
Any glass in Michigan is hard to come by. Can find coke and dr pep, and sprite of course. Crush in all flavors, Faygo once in a while and thats about it. thank god for cost plus and afri-cola.

Hacksaw
01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Contact Real Soda. They are selling Vernor's & Cheerwine in glass out west. Maybe they know who to contact in Michigan.

niibu_yaa
01-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Depends on where you are in Michigan but you should be able to find everything in glass. If you are a glass fan most Indian Grocers will have Limca, Thumbs Up Cola, and Mecca Cola. I can say that Limca is excellent and Mecca is bettter than Thumbs Up. There is also Stewarts, Jones, Nesbitt, Bireley, Green River(never had it though), should all be redily available in glass. There are probably at least 30 different types of Root Beer's floating around.The are several other brands taht I am leaving out..but they are also harder to come by.

bigrich
01-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Speaking of Limca, that is the one citrus soda that could really make it big if Coke were to introduce it here. It is much tastier than Citra was and everytime I buy a case or two I always let some of my friends try some, and have never had anyone say they did'nt like it.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-18-2004, 03:09 PM
terry - intrastate distributors of detroit, mi produces frosttop, crush (all falvors but diet) and nesbitt's honey lemonade in 16oz glass. they also make stewart's for all of michigan.

glassbottlesrule
01-25-2004, 05:19 PM
I just picked up a case of Faygo in 8oz glass today. It is a limited set that comes with Redpop, Orange creme, Kiwistrawberry, and grape. All for 9.99. In cool retro packaging.

Spiderdust
02-08-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm going to MI next week - the Flint area.

Is Diet Cherry Coke available all over the US? Can I expect to find it? And DC with Lime is out in the US, right?

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-10-2004, 12:02 AM
you'll find both.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-10-2004, 12:02 AM
glass bottles, where'd you get it?

glassbottlesrule
02-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Discount Drinks Etc. Ltd. 2811 Fort street, Wyandotte, Mi. 734-282-4276. Not a huge selection but usually Pepper in 8oz glass, coke sprite in 8oz. Faygo, Stewarts, few different Rootbeers which change, great selection in cans and a awesome beer,wine liquor selection.

glassbottlesrule
02-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey Run, do you know anywhere local I can get Vernor's in glass? I'm willing to drive a little but not all the way to Cinnci. and Jungle Jims. That's only a couple times of year trip.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-10-2004, 07:25 PM
no man, that's it, unless you find some of the old stuff from the millenium back in 2000.

IM me at campbmsu2 on AIM/AOL or campbmsu2@hotmail.com, we can talk about it in an easier format.

fusion
02-11-2004, 12:53 PM
The only other place I saw it at was a high-end grocery store in Akron, Ohio. It was all bottled by A&W of Everett, Washington.