PDA

View Full Version : Barq's Red Creme Soda

redcremesoda
05-17-2004, 01:17 PM
After looking for Fanta Red Cream Soda for years, I have been thrilled that for the past year, a select few Jewel grocery stores in Chicagoland have carried Barq's Red Creme Soda. But I've only been able to get it in 12 packs and not every Jewel store carries it. The other grocery stores in the area (Dominick's & Cub Foods) never had it when I've looked.

My question is, how is this product distributed and is there any reason to believe this is a limited run and I should stock up? If I started to see it available in more stores in the area, I wouldn't be as concerned as I am that it may disappear from my local Jewel store at any moment.

bigrich
05-17-2004, 07:46 PM
What is the production code on the bottom of the cans. It should let us know if it is from one of the Chicago facilities or if it is being shipped in.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-17-2004, 11:08 PM
if i recall, the production code i saw when i went through indiana is PR

bigrich
05-17-2004, 11:28 PM
CCE Tri-States does produce Barq's Red Creme from plant (PR)-Portland, IN, (HO)-Indianapolis, & (CN)-Cincinnati. (CN) also produces Diet Red Creme. We see products in Indy usually from (HO) and (CN). CCE sells alot of Barq's Red Creme Soda here. It is also bottled by Coca-Cola Bottling Kokomo in PET and distributed in cans there from (HM)-MAC.

[ 05-18-2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

FitzgeraldHead
05-18-2004, 10:41 AM
I found it in part of South Dakota. I know for sure they had it in Rapid City. I've only seen in in one fountain here in Atlanta, and I wish it was sold more places.

teamtitan512
05-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Barq's Red Creme in bag-in-box? I never imagined....

redcremesoda
05-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by bigrich:
What is the production code on the bottom of the cans. It should let us know if it is from one of the Chicago facilities or if it is being shipped in. Here's the code on the bottom of one of the cans: DEC0604MDB0309. Also etched in the bottom is "1D" below and to the right of the production code.

bigrich
05-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Good News, Barq's Red Creme is produced at CCE's Chicago Main Depot. That may be a good sign it sells enough around the area and it probably won't disappear.

glassbottlesrule
05-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know how far I would have to drive from Detroit to get this stuff? I bought some at Jungle Jim's and really liked it.

bigrich
05-20-2004, 12:52 AM
CCE-Plant (PR)-Portland, IN produces it. I believe they distribute to the NE Indiana Border with Michigan & Ohio. CCE Portland mainly distributes to the area previously served by Coca-Cola Ft. Wayne, IN, Richmond, IN, & Greenville, OH. They also produce 8oz cans for a much larger area including Indianapolis, Dayton, & Cincinnati.

[ 05-20-2004, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Shatter
05-20-2004, 01:17 AM
An E-Z Mart convenience store not too far away has a fountain dispenser label for Fanta Red on it. I don't know what's actually in that particular fountain, because i've never tried it. The dispenser doesn't have any Dr Pepper/Seven Up brand sodas on tap, so it wouldn't be Big Red. I might have to go and investigate.

fusion
05-20-2004, 07:54 PM
If you're feeling adventurous, ask to see the actual canister or BIB, then you'd definately know if it's really Fanta Red. Coke produces some stuff for fountain only still.. Like Master Pour (ale, tonic, etc). I believe MM Cherry is also a fountain-only soda (found in the Zaxby's chicken chain).

redcremesoda
05-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by bigrich:
Good News, Barq's Red Creme is produced at CCE's Chicago Main Depot. That may be a good sign it sells enough around the area and it probably won't disappear. Excellent!!! Thanks for the great news. I guess as long as my local store keeps carrying it, I'll be OK.

Shatter
05-23-2004, 02:06 AM
Local Steak and Shake Restaurants carry Mello Yello, but it's not bottled here. They either run small batches for fountains in restaurants, or they have it shipped in from a bottler that makes it, like Coke does with Barq's Floatz being shipped in from New Orleans.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-24-2004, 01:05 AM
glassbottles. i'm pretty sure it's in ohio. you might even try calling the madison heights, mich cce office to see if they have it. i have seen it before, i believe. it's ALL OVER indiana, in every set of every major store.

drpep
05-29-2004, 07:15 PM
Giant Market on Rt 15 between Harrisburg and Dillsburg, Pa has Barqs Red Creme in Fridge packs from Mid Atlantic Canners.

teamtitan512
05-30-2004, 02:20 AM
Between Harrisburg and Dillsburg? That's interesting, considering that's Cumberland County, meaning it should be from the CCE office in Lemoyne, and be product from Baltimore, meaning there wouldn't be Red Creme. Interesting.

drpep
05-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey, I know what I saw smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

fusion
05-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Dillsburg is York County, serviced by Central Coke out of York.

teamtitan512
05-31-2004, 07:16 PM
Well, that makes sense then. I didn't think it was in York County. I look and feel like an idiot about now.

fusion
05-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Well, it's practically on the border of the two counties.

:D

bigrich
06-01-2004, 10:57 PM
I found Barq's Red Creme in a fountain today.

DPDude
06-15-2004, 01:20 AM
I found tons of Barq's Red Creme soda is available in 12 packs in stores in Topeka, KS and Omaha, NE as well as surrounding area's. Taco Cabana restaurants in San Antonio, TX have it at fountains.

Hacksaw
07-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Sorry to shock you, but Barq's Red Cream does NOT taste like Fanta Red Cream!! :eek:

Barq's Red Cream has a strawberry/red licorice flavor. The closest I've found to Fanta Red Cream is Henry Weinhard's Cream Soda.

Yes, they keep telling me around here that Fanta Red Cream is no more.

Although Virgil's Cream Soda is probably the best I've tried now.

imawalkingcorpse
07-05-2004, 02:20 AM
It is all over the place here in Kansas City..

Admiral37
07-05-2004, 01:05 PM
I discovered Barq's Red Cream a few years ago while visiting my family in Binghamton, NY. It was readily available at the local Giant chain and at Price Chopper. Wegman's did not carry it.

Last summer, I was dismayed to find that the shelf space allotted to Barq's Red Cream had disappeared. I saw a CCE delivery person stocking shelves and asked what happened to Red Cream. He said that the space was needed by other CCE products, that Diet Coke with Lemon needed more shelf space.

I can no longer find Barq's Red Cream. I have one can left, it's been sitting in the fridge for over a year, kept cold the entire time.

I have two questions: (1) Should I dare drink the only can of Barq's Red Cream I have left, and, (2) Why won't CCE distribute it anywhere in New England?

melloyelloluver
07-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Plenty of the stuff here in York PA. It's in all of the Giant food stored in the county.

redcremesoda
07-06-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Hacksaw:
Sorry to shock you, but Barq's Red Cream does NOT taste like Fanta Red Cream!! :eek:

Barq's Red Cream has a strawberry/red licorice flavor. The closest I've found to Fanta Red Cream is Henry Weinhard's Cream Soda.

Yes, they keep telling me around here that Fanta Red Cream is no more.

Although Virgil's Cream Soda is probably the best I've tried now. So Hacksaw, you don't think Barq's Red Creme Soda is a worthy substitute for Fanta Red Cream? To my untrained tastebuds, it's damn close to what I remember Fanta tasting like, though it has been MANY years. And since Fanta & Barq's are in the Coke "family", I wondered if it was just a coincidence that Fanta is no longer made and Barq's just happened to come out with a RCS? :confused: How long has Barq's RCS existed?

Maybe I'm just happy there is some current product out there that is attempting to fill the void left by my beloved memories of Fanta RCS. As long as Barq's makes Red Creme Soda, for me, I consider the void filled...

That is until Fanta gets off their asses and bring it back.

cwbosken@hotmail.com
07-30-2004, 12:50 AM
I have loved Red Cream Soda for quite some time. It used to be available from the fountain at some Skyline Chili locations in the Cincy area.

In June of 2003 I found a gas station in southern Utah (outside of Capital Reef National Park) that had Barq's Red Cream Soda by the fountain. I have no idea how they obtained it.

Hacksaw
07-30-2004, 08:23 PM
The Swire (sp?) Coke group sells Barq's Red Cream, & they have most of Nevada, Utah, & even into Nebraska & west Colorado.

Coke04
08-29-2004, 07:32 PM
It's availabe in 20 oz, and occaisionally 12 packs, here in NE Ohio.

whotony
10-03-2004, 05:16 PM
hmm, i havent had barq's red cream in about 10 years.

someone i used to work with went to cincinati once a year and would bring some back with him.

wish i could get that in the phila area.

Shatter
10-15-2004, 08:30 PM
In southern Louisiana, Barq's Red Creme Soda is all over the place, in the usual sizes. One thing I noticed though, it's almost impossible to find Barq's French Vanilla Creme Soda. I only saw one or two stores with 20 oz. bottles, and none whatsoever with 2-liters and 12-packs. I saw plenty of them the last time I was there, a few months ago. Hmmmm. And Barq's Floatz Frozen Ice Cream Cups were nowhere to be found, either. I bought some before, and they were pretty good. I wonder what the deal with that is.

[ 10-15-2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

PhillySteve
10-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Whotony, Barq's Red Creme is available around Reading, PA. I don't think it it's in every store but I did find it in Redner's if you're ever in the area.

sodasommelier
10-16-2004, 01:10 AM
Dad's Creamy Red made with cane sugar in longneck bottles... that is the best of all!

drpep
10-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Food Lion in Woodstock, VA has Fridge Packs of Barqs Red Creme.

teamtitan512
10-19-2004, 04:51 PM
They should. Woodstock/Shenandoah County is Central Coke territory. However, you don't usually see it down in the VA part, only in the Northern part here and in PA.

Cranium
11-24-2004, 04:33 PM
God, I'm in heaven right now. My buddy just came back (to San Jose, Ca) from South Bend. Brought me a 12 pack of Barq's Red Creme. Can't get the stuff here. Plenty of their Root Beer, but not this.
I grew up in Indiana and Ohio, so it goes way back for me.
I took this 12 pack, and had Round Table make me up a fake Cassano's Pizza (complete with salty bottom- try explaining that to the counter jockey!)

I feel like I'm 8 years old again. I'm truly thankful this holiday season.

I've been wondering why they don't sell this stuff here. Any ideas? Even the big Beverages and More places that stock Nehi and others don't have it.

Drink
11-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Well I don't know how good a seller Barq's Red Cream Soda is

bigrich
11-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Barq's Red Creme is getting quite a bit of shelf space here in Indianapolis. It has more space than Barq's Rootbeer. CCE should think of multipacking it in PET bottles.

[ 11-24-2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Drink
11-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Wow,I did not know that.Do you have Barq's French Vanilla Cream Soda in Indianapolis if yes how much self space dose it get?

bigrich
11-25-2004, 03:38 PM
We do not have Barq's French Vanilla in Indianapolis. I have not seen it anywhere in the Mideast or Midwest except for the Eagan, MN (Minn-St. Paul) area or perhaps Lenexa, KS. (Kansas City).

[ 11-25-2004, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Drink
11-25-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm gussing that Barq's French Vanilla Cream Soda is rare then