PDA

View Full Version : Barq's close to GSO, NC?

MISTICman
11-15-2004, 02:32 AM
Hey Peoples...
Where is the closest place to Greensboro, NC that sells Barq's root beer? I know of 2 vending machines at rest areas the other side of Raleigh that offer single cans, but I want 12 packs. I'd prefer the closest to the south, but if it's closer to the north or west, so be it. I'm craving it!

fusion
11-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I'd say the Richmond VA area. CCE's territory goes down as far south as Petersburg.. and I know that CCBCC is in Emporia.

85 north to 95 south, exit onto Wagner Rd West (48b). Turn left onto South Crater.

There is a Super Wally on South Crater, as well as a Food Lion and a Ukrop's (Richmond area grocery store.. they rule the roost there).

That's about a 3 hour drive. Much closer than CCE territory in Knoxville TN or Kitty Hawk NC.

fusion
11-15-2004, 02:09 PM
There are also Sheetz and Wawa locations in Petersburg/Colonial Heights.. in case you were interested in checking out those two convenience store chains.

Drink
11-15-2004, 07:34 PM
I thought that Barq's Root Beer was everywhere!

teamtitan512
11-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Consolidated has it in WV in Fridge Packs. Weird they don't have it in NC.

MISTICman
11-29-2004, 01:41 AM
I know, it IS weird that we don't have it here. A lot of places had it in fountains here, but even THEY are quitting Barq's! A friend of mine went to DC the otehr week and brought me a 12pk as a gift...what a friend! I was hoping for closer, but I guess Richmond is it.
One more question though...how about to the south opf NC? I may be going to Charlotte soon and may keep going further.

Drink
11-29-2004, 10:20 AM
I thought Barq's was (getting this from the Coca-Cola website) "America's # 1 Root Beer"

MISTICman
01-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey guys and gals.
I went to Danville, VA to look for some Big Red today. Unfortunately I think it's gone from the area.
BUT....at the Q&P station I usually go to, I was on the way to the Mistic cooler and the cooler that had the Big Red. I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I stared at it, closed my eyes, shook my head, took my glasses off, rubbed my eyes. There they were...TWO fridgepacks of Barq's!!! I thought this was a fluke, so I snatched both and got them to my car.
Something told me to go to the Wal-Mart and Kroger a block away from the station, so I did. BOTH of those stores also had the Fridgepacks of Barq's! Neither place had 2L bottles, or 6pk of bottles...only fridgepacks.
On the way back home, I stopped at Old Dutch Supermarket to see what they had. Out in the parking lot, I saw a Coca-Cola van. The rep was inside, so I asked him how far south his bottler's route goes. Next month they're going as far south as Reidsville, NC. Reidsville is the closest city to me! Now if only we can get it in the Greensboro area so I can get it at work!
Now tonight I can sleep soundly knowing I shall never go thirsty again.

fusion
01-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Coke is apparently going to be pushing Barq's big this year. CCE wants close to 100% availability in convenience/petroleum stores. They sent us a bunch of 30ยข off 20oz coupons to put on cooler doors.

So it sounds like CCBCC is consolidating some more routes and sales centers again.

teamtitan512
01-30-2005, 12:54 AM
Here at the new Wal-Mart, they're selling 6 packs for .98 as part of a grand opening special. Barq's is interestingly included in that sale. Haven't seen Barq's 6 packs here in years. Last time I saw them they were from CCE Mid-Atlantic 5 years ago or so.

EnergyKing
01-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Barqs is all over the west coast.

fusion
01-30-2005, 10:20 PM
6 packs are such a pain in the ass. I'd prefer it if they ran a 1.98 12 pack (or even better, a $3.96 24 pack) sale, anyday.

with 6 packs, you have the boxes, plus a soda will come off of the ring, so rather than reringing it, customers will set them aside, leave them in the boxes, etc. ugh.

I remember when MAC was producing cans for Keystone Coke. They had a lot of cube flavors, like Barq's, Sunkist, Seagram's, etc. I'm not sure if they made Squirt in that package, though.

teamtitan512
01-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Don't remember Squirt in 24 packs. Don't remember Sunkist either. I do remember the Barq's ones.

6 packs are a pain. The Pepsi 24 pks they're running for $3.98 are selling a whole lot better.

fusion
01-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Keystone in eastern PA had Sunkist Orange, Welch's Grape, and Squirt (reg, diet, ruby red, diet ruby red). Sunkist and Barq's were even in .5L 6 packs, which I found odd.

When CCE bought out Herbco, they went in and dropped all three of those brands, and went straight to Fanta. They also got out of the Mid Atlantic Canners cooperative, and started shipping cans in from the CCE-NY production facilites.. some stuff even came up from Baltimore.

They also closed the Pittston production line down, which was a bottle line. Again, bottles started coming from NY facilties.

teamtitan512
02-01-2005, 02:17 AM
Now I did know this about Herbco. In Western Pennsylvania, they had some different territory, where they also had Canada Dry w/these. They had the Barq's and Sunkist 6 pack 20 oz., then 6 pack .5 L.

Herbco stretched all the way into Westmoreland County, where they had a different lineup again. The orange was Sunkist, but they had Seagram's, and Dr Pepper. I think they did Sunkist Grape here, because Welch's was third-tier w/RC. Canada Dry, RC, Squirt, and A&W was the third tier at that point. Now Westmoreland County looks identical to Pittsburgh w/Sunkist and 7Up to ABC.

Things sure used to be more interesting back then. Now it's just the same thing everywhere.

MISTICman
02-25-2005, 03:05 AM
just heard an insider rumor...
the greensboro area may soon be getting barq's root beer. i hope this actually comes true because it was a coke rep that told me.
meanwhile, barq's has hit reidsville, but only in 20oz bottles. i'm still waiting for fridge packs there.