PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Still Sell Dad's Root Beer?

tooniverse
03-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I know Dad's Root Beer isn't completely dead yet, so is there anybody still selling it? Here in Minneapolis it is one of the rarest soft drinks there is.

ithastabeshasta
03-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Head up to the Pine City Pamida store, they had it 2 weeks ago.

fusion
03-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Paul's Beverages in New Castle PA produces Dad's and Diet Dad's in 20oz. ABC in Northlake IL makes Cool Packs. I see them in the Giant grocery stores in Maryland/Virginia/Delaware/New Jersey (the store distributes it through their own warehouse).

Lepke
03-06-2005, 01:22 PM
i see dads in supermarkets here in jersey

Android
03-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure how the franchising works for this product for my area, because Dad's isn't sold around here. However a few months ago, the smaller-market discount store chain Pamida (Shopko's brand for smaller market stores) started selling them in PET 6-packs. Bottled by, ack, American Bottling (ABC). Surprisingly, they didn't taste too bad, but when I tried one it was still very fresh, if I was reading the date code right. - and that's rare in my experience, an ABC product that tasted good. Anyway, since the third tier bottler in this area is Full Service Beverages(All-American), I've wondered why/how this ABC product is allowed to be sold here. I'm assuming that no valid franchise exists here in central Wyoming for Dad's RB, and that ABC delivers it in bulk to one of Pamida's distribution centers and they ship it to their stores themselves.

andy

Irishpepsi04
03-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Dad's Root Beer is sold across Western Washington, along with Bubble-Up lemon-lime soda, Dad's Cream Soda, Dad's Orange Cream and a few others. Not sure who produces it. I saw it at a Winco food store here. I see it mostly in stores served by the Supervalu warehouse, which there's one in Tacoma. I also see it in another local store, Marketplace, who gets food from Grocers Associaters in Seattle. UPDATE: 7/8/05 I checked the codes for DAD's line of sodas: it seems to have the same code as Shasta, which is produced in Tukwila, Washington. Code TK.

Originally posted by Android:
I'm not sure how the franchising works for this product for my area, because Dad's isn't sold around here. However a few months ago, the smaller-market discount store chain Pamida (Shopko's brand for smaller market stores) started selling them in PET 6-packs. Bottled by, ack, American Bottling (ABC). Surprisingly, they didn't taste too bad, but when I tried one it was still very fresh, if I was reading the date code right. - and that's rare in my experience, an ABC product that tasted good. Anyway, since the third tier bottler in this area is Full Service Beverages(All-American), I've wondered why/how this ABC product is allowed to be sold here. I'm assuming that no valid franchise exists here in central Wyoming for Dad's RB, and that ABC delivers it in bulk to one of Pamida's distribution centers and they ship it to their stores themselves.

andy

[ 07-09-2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: Irishpepsi04 ]

teamtitan512
03-07-2005, 11:31 PM
There is no rule on products sent from the distribution centers as to the bottlers. It's why Canfield's product can come to Giant/MD in splash bottles from ABC, even though it's Canada Dry Potomac territory. Of course, a lot of bottlers (especially smaller ones) get products from a variety of bottlers to make their line, much like Valley Beverage does locally here w/their DPSU products, buying from both RC Winchester and ABC.

Giant/MD does indeed have Dad's in Fridge Packs in their drink aisles. However, being you live on Toledo Ave., I'm assuming you're in northwestern Ohio/southeastern Michigan. Quite a long drive to Frederick, MD. Jungle Jim's have it? Still a drive down into OH (Fairfield), but might be worth it.

Red Fusion RoX
03-09-2005, 07:18 PM
I can find it here in Utah at Macey's. Don't know if that store is national, but that was the last place i saw it.

drpep
03-09-2005, 09:37 PM
Beaver County, Pa has the Root Beer and the cream flavors.

MISTICman
03-12-2005, 12:18 AM
In case you get sick and are craving it, Walgreen's makes cough drops flavored with Dad's Root Beer. Dad's isn't sold at all down here, but the cough drops are really good!

teamtitan512
03-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Let's hand it to America's Favorite Walgreens-less zone....the Mid-Atlantic (If you live in Pittsburgh or Washington).

Hacksaw
03-12-2005, 03:46 AM
It's around San Jose in 12oz cans. You can get the Dad's Red Cream & Root Beer in glass bottles at Beverages & More around here.

drpep
03-13-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
Let's hand it to America's Favorite Walgreens-less zone....the Mid-Atlantic (If you live in Pittsburgh or Washington). There is one in Boardman, Ohio just south of Youngstown. Less than an hour from Pittsburgh.

OOS
03-13-2005, 05:39 PM
ssssssssssssssss

teamtitan512
03-13-2005, 11:52 PM
Well, give it a few months and Pittsburgh will have one nearby in West Mifflin, its first.

The jury's still out on Washington. Why they come to Baltimore first escapes me.

Shatter
04-03-2005, 01:29 PM
It's in 2-liters and 12-packs in Morgan City, Louisiana. I didn't check the label for the manufacturer, but I'm guessing that it's made by Mellow Moon Bottling in Arkansas. That's where the RC Cola/Cherry RC Cola that's stocked on the shelves with it come from.

Paul's Beverages
05-16-2005, 11:16 AM
I represent Paul's Beverages in New Castle, PA. We produce Dad's in 20 ounce and 2 liters. The 2 liters are available in Dad's & Diet Dad's Root Beer. The 20 ounce is available in Dad's, Diet Dad's, Creamy Red & Creamy Orange. We would welcome distributors. However we are not set up for individual case sales. Jim Udischas, Jr. 724-794-1405.

SPLASTiK
05-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Seems to be in many a convience stores in Canada, their Orange Creme Soda and Cream Soda as well all in bottles.

I rmemeber seeing it at Costco in cans in Alaska and Washington.

[ 05-20-2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: SPLASTiK ]

glassbottlesrule
05-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I got an idea for Paul's beverage's. Try putting some Fr*&%#king bubbles in your pop. Your beverages are flatter than a board seconds after opening.

glassbottlesrule
05-20-2005, 05:29 PM
To Paul's beverages. Sorry I bashed you. I did so without reading some of your other threads were you talked about this. It's just every time I've had one of your products it has been real rank. As a comparasion, last week I had a Jolt Cola in a 16oz glass that I'm guessing was bottled by intrastate(I pitched the bottle b4 I looked) and it was primo stuff best Jolt I had in years. I had shied away from Jolt which had been my cola of choice for years because of the flat 20oz pets.

Darren
05-20-2005, 05:44 PM
We have Dad's Root Beer through 7-Up here in Illinois. I've never seen Dad's Cream Soda, that would be nice to try...

Hacksaw
05-21-2005, 11:58 AM
OK, I just saw Dad's RB in glass at:
http://www.retrosoda.com/root-beer.html

They are in Illinois.

Also, Real Soda uses cane sugar in their Dad's in glass around here in San Jose. Dad's RB in cans is around here in stores.

glassbottlesrule
05-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Rude possibly, although I never call anyone names or attack anyone, just give my views about different products. Ignorant no I been a serious soda fanatic for most of my existence. I admit I do not know about the inns and outs of dist. but I do know good product from bad and always give kudos to things I think worth it. Some producers just do a better job on their products. That's why there will always be preium products and those willing to pay a premium for them.

Cheer-wined
06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
If you have a Big Lots, take a look there. I see Dad's RB, diet RB, red & orange cream there often.

OSpencerO
06-03-2005, 03:47 PM
I found Dad's Diet Root Beer at Big Lots too.

Good Stuff!!! smile.gif

Spencer

guaranajunkie
06-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Wish they had it at our big lots :(

redcremesoda
06-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
If you have a Big Lots, take a look there. I see Dad's RB, diet RB, red & orange cream there often. Does that mean recently? I've been trying to find somewhere around me to get Dad's Creamy Red Soda without having to pay big $$$ for shipping. Around Chicago Big Lots recently (2 weeks ago) they had Faygo 8oz and 16oz glass as well as many Cool Mountain flavors, but no Dad's that I saw. Should I look again?

Stacey
07-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Jungle Jim's still had Dad's Root Beer when I was down there in May.

Look In The Tunk
07-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I think the commissary at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton, VA sold (might still sell--my military ID expired last year so no commissary for me) Dad's. So maybe they sell them at the commissaries on military bases.

zeszut
07-13-2005, 03:01 PM
I used to buy the liter bottles from Jewel Supermarket here in Chicago but they have discontinued it as of last month.

I see Hacksaw says it's available in Illinois. Anywhere in Chicago specifically?

According to my last bottle (sigh), I see there is a distributor in Northlake (a Chicago suburb) so one would think it would be readily available here.

zeszut
07-13-2005, 03:07 PM
PS> This is my first post. I don't see how to "subscribe" to this thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mr Zabe
07-13-2005, 03:22 PM
zeszut
I'm pretty sure you will find either 12 packs or
24 pack of Dad's root beer at Jewel. I see them in Mount Prospect,Arlington Heights,Des Plains and the North Shore.

American Bottling Company located in North Lake,IL has the rights to bottle/can Dad's Root Beer.

You seem to be registered as a regular member of this board. You do need to sign up for each thread.

Welcome aboard,
Zabe

bigrich
07-13-2005, 04:30 PM
American Bottling also now has the rights for A&W since RC Chicago is no more. I would not be surprised if they do what they have done elsewhere and only sell A&W. They also can Hires for certain areas where they do not have A&W. This is why they previously bottled Dad's in Chicagoland.

Android
07-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Wasn't Dad's RB based originally out of Chicago? I remember it being around a lot back when I was a little kid in N. Illinois (Rockford) in the mid/late 70s. American Bottling doesn't seem to do a very good job with it though, but I'd still be sad to see it go.

In Canada they still make Dad's in glass NR bottles, I tried to find some when I was in Toronto a couple of months ago but didn't look in the right places I guess. The only one I got was with a meal at a pub/restaurant - I saw it on the menu and they brought me a glass full of ice and the amber Dad's bottle for me to pour into it. That one tasted very good indeed.

andy

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-14-2005, 12:22 AM
they have all the dad's flavors in glass bottles - but i don't know who makes them..

SkiOrangeandLime
07-14-2005, 04:41 AM
I was in Vincennes, IN the other day, visiting my grandparents, and happened upon a Double Cola machine. Picked up a can of my beloved Ski, and also happened to see Dad's Root Beer in there. So I assume the local Double Cola distributor (out of Evansville, IN, last I had track) carries Dad's. Might check with them....

BottleBoss
07-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Super Giant food stores carry it in cans. At least they did the last time I was in one a few months ago.

zeszut
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Mr Zabe, but the Jewel manager informed me that they no longer carry it. It's the Jewel at Broadway & Addison in Chicago proper. The one at Montrose & Sheridan also no longer carries it. I'm between these two stores - neither carries Dad's anymore. I'm told it is a "corporate decision" not to carry Dad's anymore.

This is adding to my complaints about Jewel in general. That is, they no longer carry items that they never seem to be able to keep on the shelf. I would think those are the items to keep. Dad's was one of these.

I wonder if the Northlake office has a list of their retailers in Chicago? I was goggling for their offices when I stumbled on this website.

Also, I have not received notification of the subsequent posts to this thread. Other forums I belong to automatically subscribe you to any thread you post to. I guess this one does not.

Can someone explain to me how to subscribe to it?

drpep
07-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Just below the reply box is a buton that says "full reply form". Click that then scroll down to options. Click email notification.

BringGlassBack
07-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Just bought a 12 pack of Dad's cans in Cincinnati at Jungle Jim's(Memorial Day weekend 2005). They did have glass bottles of the Root Beer and the Sparkling Lemonade.
Also found it at a Grocery Store in St Louis at the end on June 2005.

zeszut
07-25-2005, 06:12 PM
thanks, dr p. hope this works.

Hacksaw
07-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I saw it last night in 12 oz six packs & 2 liters at Nob Hill.

Tat2mom
05-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Does anyone know where I can find Dad's in the chicago area, mainly crystal lake ? They used to sell it at the Woodman's in carpentersville, but I haven't seen it in a few months there.

Mr Zabe
05-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Howdy Hi
I live in Mount Prospect,IL. I see fridge packs and on occasion cubes of Dad's at the local Jewel Food Stores. There is only one facing at best so it is easy to over look. I will double check next time I go there which might be in a day or so. Good Luck. smile.gif
Zabe

Spartan Dan
05-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Hmmm. Ive never heard of Dad's before.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
05-31-2006, 02:41 PM
hey, about the woodmans comment, the woodmans in Janesville has also stopped carrying it a few months ago, along with all other supermarkets and c-stores... you used to be able to get it in 20 oz, 2 liter, and 12 packs...

MISTICman
06-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Hey guys and gals...
Today I saw Dad's DIET root beer, and the regular orange and red creme sodas at Big Lots today. They were $1 for a 1L bottle. I didn't see any of the regular root beer. That's the first time I've seen ANY Dad's in NC since 1990!

fusion
06-17-2006, 09:19 PM
That was specially produced for Big Lots by Paul's Beverages.

I'm surprised it is still around your parts. It disappeared around here a few months ago (it was a one run deal).

fusion
06-25-2006, 09:37 PM
I saw the Dad's 1 liters in Roanoke Rapids NC at the Big Lots. Even found the red creme.

Dr Pepper
06-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Dad's is on the fountians at QuikTrip gas stations in the wichita kansas area. Maybe around other places but i dont notice since im not a root beer person.

IBDADSGUY
07-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Dad's Root Beer is owned & marketed by The Monarch Beverage Company based in Atlanta, GA.

They have distribution All Over the U.S.

Contact info@monarchbeverages.com for local distribution and store availability.

CCE Girlie
07-02-2006, 01:12 AM
I have always found it a dollar stores--try "Dollar Tree".

Paul's Beverages
08-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
That was specially produced for Big Lots by Paul's Beverages.

I'm surprised it is still around your parts. It disappeared around here a few months ago (it was a one run deal). You should be able to find the Dad's 1 liters in the Big Lots stores again. It was produced fresh and delivered to the distribution centers a couple weeks ago. They sell sodas in the states that do not require a deposit. There are 6 flavors now including a new Blue Cream.

Enjoy! Jim

fusion
08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the update, Jim.

daveb
10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I just found Dad's Root Beer in cans at the 7-11 Store at Van Buren and Plymouth Court in downtown Chicago.
daveb

Mr Zabe
10-19-2006, 09:02 PM
Dads is fairly common in Chicago as it is distributed by American Beverages which is a local company located in Darin,IL.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
10-19-2006, 09:30 PM
if and when i come down there, i will definatly stop at a jewel-osco and pick some up lol

Paul's Beverages
03-05-2007, 09:15 PM
There should be plenty of the Dad's 1 liters (6 varieties) in the stores now. There is an ad running next week. 1 Liters for a dollar. Most stores will be carrying it in the states that do not require deposits on soft drinks. Go to BigLots.com, Brand Names at Closeout Prices (http://www.biglots.com/) to find a store near you. Enjoy! Jim

Dad's fan
03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
There should be plenty of the Dad's 1 liters (6 varieties) in the stores now. There is an ad running next week. 1 Liters for a dollar. Most stores will be carrying it in the states that do not require deposits on soft drinks. Go to BigLots.com, Brand Names at Closeout Prices (http://www.biglots.com/) to find a store near you. Enjoy! Jim

Thank's Jim I just got a boatload of Dad's at Big lots today let us know here in Mn. when you are going to send some Dad's to snyder's again. Gotta try that blue cream too.

Bob

Paul's Beverages
03-20-2007, 05:34 AM
OK Bob,

Check the Pamida Stores also.

Thank you.
Jim

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-20-2007, 04:29 PM
didn't you guys do a run awhile back for meijer stores, or was that frosttop 1L?

Paul's Beverages
03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
didn't you guys do a run awhile back for meijer stores, or was that frosttop 1L?

That must have been Frostop.

Android
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Check the Pamida Stores also.

I'll buy it at the local Pamida every now and then. I like it better in the 20 ouncers than the liters though. The other day I noticed that Diet Dad's uses sucralose/ace-K and since I don't think I've had a diet root beer with those before I thought I'd try one. Unfortunately I didn't check the date code, they were from last year and it was flat. :mad: Ack! A couple of days later I thought I'd try again when I saw some that were much newer, I think 7059, and those were much better. :)
-Andy

Paul's Beverages
03-20-2007, 11:31 PM
The diet won't hold shelf life as long as an HFCS pop. Those 1 liters are holding carbonation and moving really well. It must have got buried in a warehouse. The 7059 code is the 59th day of this year. We are using aspartame in the 20 ounce until the labels are depleted. The 1 liters and the future 20 ounce will be sucralose/ace-K blend for the diet. Thank you for buying our pop Andy. Jim

Android
03-21-2007, 02:44 AM
The 7059 code is the 59th day of this year. We are using aspartame in the 20 ounce until the labels are depleted. The 1 liters and the future 20 ounce will be sucralose/ace-K blend for the diet. Thank you for buying our pop Andy. Jim

You're welcome! And yeah, I remember how to decipher some date codes (I learned some back in the 90's when I worked for Pepsi - and your coding is pretty common and easy to get) and I was quite surprised to see those 59th day codes, knowing how far they had to come to get here that quickly.

-Andy

Paul's Beverages
03-21-2007, 07:28 AM
You're welcome! And yeah, I remember how to decipher some date codes (I learned some back in the 90's when I worked for Pepsi - and your coding is pretty common and easy to get)

-Andy

We used to put the exact date printed on the box. A few retail stores complained to distributors that the pop was out of date when it was just a few days old. We decided to go to the coding.

710 flash
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Dad's can be mail ordered in glass bottles from Soda King in CA.
It is available in 1-liter Plastic bottles nationally I think..Michigan,Illinois and PA for sure

Soda-MN-Good
03-27-2007, 02:48 PM
As well as cream soda and orange and cream...