PDA

View Full Version : Unique but marketable Root Beer and Cream Soda

ImissNesbitts
05-28-2005, 04:40 AM
OK, I will just lay it all out for everyone...

I operate a new business in MN (Rochester area) selling ice cream products. I have a huge desire to sell cream soda, root beer, and perhaps orange soda, but I would prefer not to sell A&W and Sunkist, if I can help it. (Nothing against them, I just want to differentiate myself.)

Right now I am looking at selling Dad's Root Beer, Orange Crush, and no cream soda as of yet. I am not married to (nor have I bought) any of the aforementioned brands.

I obviously have no clue about the business. If I could even be referred to a post that could help me with that, it would be great.

Otherwise, the products I am interested in (so far) are:

Millstream Root Beer and Cream Soda
Point Premium Root Beer (Stevens Point, WI)
Shasta Creme Soda (probably nostalgia, but I'm interested nonetheless).
Dad's Cream Soda.
Spring Grove Cream Soda and Root Beer.
Hires Root Beer and/or Cream Soda (does this actually exist?)
Thomas Kemper (all of them).

I plan to check in the Luverne, MN Pamida for Frostie Root Beer...I saw it there at a very reasonable price last time I traveled...

Thank you for your time,

-ImN

Mr Zabe
05-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Hi,
I can offer this obvious advice to you.
My parents were in the retail T-Shirt business for
just about 30 years. When they started their business, they did not know what was hot and what was hot for "transfers" or t-shirt styles.

So long story short, we took a road trip to Florida to meet a man known as "Big Daddy Rat" of the Rat's Hole company. This man and his business of T-shirts and auto/motorcycle events was one of the founding forefathers of T-shirt as they were know to be in the early 1970's.

He told my parents to look at the walls of his shop. The walls were covered with "transfers" of all kind of pictures, some were funny,some were cute and some were a little over the edge.

He said do not limit your business to what you like or find acceptable. You will need to choose styles of T-shirts and Transfers that go against your notion of good taste. Yet those that go against your taste often become your hottest sellers.

This advice that Big Daddy Rat shared with us made my parents vary successful. It was a lesson that opened their eyes.

Now my advice to you is to think about what your market enjoys and do not limit your pop/soda selection to brands that sound good or fancy.
Most people take comfort in buying the good old familiar pop/soda brands from an ice cream product(cart/shop) business,IMO.

Zabe

[ 05-28-2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Look In The Tunk
05-28-2005, 03:03 PM
I have three suggestions for you:

Dr. Browns Root Beer, Cream Soda, and Orange Soda.

I don't know how pricey that might be, though.

ithastabeshasta
05-28-2005, 04:38 PM
Well you can't go wrong with Spring Grove products, very tasty, although I have not had them since the new owner took over I hope that nothing has changed. I know a small coffee shop up here in Cambridge that sells products from Real Soda in glass bottles they seem to do well. Also for orange may I suggest Moxie Orange Cream soda from Monarch Beverages, there is also Dad's Red Cream soda available.

turtleboy
06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
You might consider Sprecher sodas. They make the flavors you are looking for and have a distributor in Rochester.
http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/sprechers/

Cheer-wined
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Hires cream soda exists, and it's very good but hard to find. Cro-Pac in Worcester MA cans it. I'm partial to Hires root beer also.

If you really want to differentiate your products I'd stay away from cans/PET and go with something in glass. Frostop is an excellent root beer, another rare one but it's made in 16oz bottles in Michigan. As well as many Crush flavors. Hot ginger ales like Blenheim, Red Rock or Pangleheimers would be something else that you don't find in many stores, also in glass.

RootBeer man
07-07-2005, 12:56 PM
First you must find someone in or who was in this same kind of business.Are you doing this for fun or profit?Can you afford the start up cost and loss of money if it fails.I'm not dashing you dream.Just go slow and ask quetions.As for flavors of drinks.wow! lots to choose .Go to stores and try some .Also liquor stores sell lots of different rootbeers,cola, lime,and cherry drinks.Good luck

rc4me
07-07-2005, 10:53 PM
I don't know if a supplier is close to you but Nehi
Grape and Orange are exceptional products with a great old name.

Frostie Man
08-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Frostie makes a real ggod root beer. Our blue cream soda will really catch your eye. We also have a orange that we get great comments on.

fusion
08-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Go with glass. It will give your place a more retro/upscale feel.

But you'll also have to find something that can be affordably shipped to your area. If it is an unfamiliar brand, be prepared to give away plenty of samples. You might also want to try incorporating the sodas in your ice cream offerings, ie. a root beer float, an orange cream float, and so on.

Going with one name across the board will probably win you support from the distributor.

I agree with Turtleboy, Sprecher might be a good fit for you. If you plan to use it in bulk, they do sell it in half and quarter barrels.

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/sprsoda.html

Hacksaw
08-10-2005, 08:42 PM
We have many of the Frostie flavors around here, but not Orange. I'd love to try it.

JP QuikServ Drinks
11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
check out olde philadelphia soda. it uses pure sugar cane, and is recognized pretty well in the NY area. however, honestly i dont know how well it mixes with ice cream, worth a shot.

Sartak
12-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Buy Henry Wienhard Vanilla Cream Soda in bulk then sell it to me at wholesale prices by the barrel!

Mark Bozek
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
My advice to you is to get Hires Root Beer. Contact your local 7up bottler and ask how you can order some. As for the orange stick with orange crush, or if you can try to locate a source where you can buy NEHI everybody remembers NEHI, and dont forget Cherry RC cola. One other thing that i would look into getting if they still make it and this is a big if is FANTA Root Beer.

Thanks
Mark

Lepke
04-21-2006, 06:34 PM
My advice is a Stewart's drive in. here in New Jersey Stewart's drive ins are all over the place. I was talking to a guy who owns one and he told me there is like no or a very small franchise fee. He serves whatever food he wishes. They only require he buy the bag in box root beer and paper cups from them.

Check this out (http://www.stewartsdrivein.net/)

Franchise Opportunity (http://www.franchise.com/en/us/template/buyer,OpportunityListing.vm/instancekey/SO:N2281:/action/BannerClickAction/bannerkey/1825)

Come to think of it I wouldnÂ’t mind having one of these places.

Mr Zabe
04-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Hires is a great Root Beer.
Dog & Suds is good.
Dad's is on my A list.

Anything Nehi in the bottle will sell well.
Strawberry and Orange Crush in the bottle,my A List

Try a plain Seltzer Water in a clear bottle. It well sell.

thechamp76
05-14-2006, 09:21 PM
I also think you should look at Stewarts. It is available in 12 oz. glass bottles. I have seen about 8 flavors of it in northern Iowa and southern Minnesota. I really lik their rootbeer. they also have a diet rootbeer and a cream soda as well as many flavors.

Lepke
05-15-2006, 02:48 AM
olde brooklyn soda

chuncken
05-15-2006, 10:54 PM
I can personally vouch for Point Root Beer. It comes in dark brown glass, and will most likely attract a more upscale crowd. I have it every time I frequent a local afghani resturant that carries it. It is great! It has honey in it, and is quite sweet.

And I want one now! Haha!

My 2 cents.

fusion
05-16-2006, 08:33 PM
So, any updates from the original poster? What choice(s) did you make?

Paul's Beverages
05-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ImissNesbitts:

Right now I am looking at selling Dad's Root Beer, Orange Crush, and no cream soda as of yet. I am not married to (nor have I bought) any of the aforementioned brands.

-ImN [/QB]We produce 5 flavors of Dad's in 20 ounce and 1 liters, Dad's and Diet Dad's in 2 liters. You are welcome to purchase and distribute these in your market. Please email me if we can help. beverages@usachoice.net Jim

[ 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: Paul's Beverages ]