PDA

View Full Version : trip to Bristol, TN

redcremesoda
06-20-2005, 03:08 PM
I may be taking a trip to Bristol Tennessee soon. So naturally, I want to tap into the BevBoard knowledge base to see what kind of glass bottled soda I may find out there and where I might find it. My route should be Chicago to Indy to Cincinatti to Lexington KY to Knoxville TN to Bristol. I'm already planning a stop at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati along the way.

I have access to a lot of glass around Chicago (Sprecher's, Blumer's, Boylan's, Hank's, Faygo, Dr Pepper 12oz, RC, A&W, Frostie, Cool Mountain, Dad's RB, Stewart's, etc) so I'm looking for things I can't get here. Any suggestions?

The Interpreter
06-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Definitely Ale-8-1 in Lexington/Mt.Sterling/Winchester, KY. Also, Big Red, if you don't have it there...

You are also headed to Vault's test territory in Knoxville...

redcremesoda
06-21-2005, 01:03 AM
We have Big Red around here but I could only try it in a 2 liter and I'm not a fan. Does it exist in glass? I'd give it another try in glass. I'll also look for that Ale-8-1, sounds good.

Any suggestions on where to find these? I may not have a lot of time to search and I'm guessing the convienence stores and gas stations are about the only stops I'll be able to make unless someone can make a specific suggestion - like a local grocer with a good selection or something like that.

The Interpreter
06-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Around Lexington/Mt. Sterling/Winchester (I assume you will be going down I-75), it is almost impossible not to find Ale-8-1 in any store for about 50 miles north or 75 miles south of Lexington.

There is also an excellent Gold Star Chili at the London exit of I-75. If you haven't had Cincinnati style chili, you ought to try it. It's something almost no one feels lukewarm about---they either love it or hate it! There also are several Krystal's on your route, both in TN and in KY.

As for Big Red, I will defer to the other experts here, but I think you will find it in glass!

Hacksaw
06-22-2005, 07:42 AM
Krystal's is nothing to write home about, IMHO. Mrs. Winner's (if they are still around) has better chicken.

Dang, now you're making me remember stopping by that non-chain sandwich place in Georgia, where they have Fanta Red Cream that went soooo well with what I ordered.

And IF you find Fanta Red Cream ANYWHERE, let me know.

Cheer-wined
06-24-2005, 10:30 PM
Big Red, A&W, Sunkist, 7up, RC in longnecks are in the Tri-Cities area of TN from All-American.

Dr. Enuf, Gordon's, TC's and Charlie O's are in glass from Tri-City Beverages in the same area.

Coke's 8oz glass products (Barq's, Sprite, Diet Coke, Coke, Dr. P) are in the Knoxville area.

Around Middlesboro KY I found Mello Yello and other Coke products in deli bottles about a year ago.

[ 06-24-2005, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

redcremesoda
06-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Thanks to everyone so far for your insight.

Um... this may be a silly question, but is Cheerwine easy to find in glass?

drpep
06-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I can not answer for Tennesee but if you can cross over into North Carolina Cheerwine in glass is plentiful. You might want to make some time to go to West Jefferson, NC home of West Jeferson Dr Pepper and their fine selection of soda in longnecks.

Alan11
06-26-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by redcremesoda:
Thanks to everyone so far for your insight.

Um... this may be a silly question, but is Cheerwine easy to find in glass? Everytime I go to Knoxville we stop at this Amoco station right before you hit the TN line from VA on 81 and right after you enter VA from TN and they always have RC and Cheerwine in bottles i think they are 99 cents. Check Food City in Bristol they are a mom and pop grocery store chain in far SW VA and TN they probably carry it too.

drpep
06-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Unless they are hidden in some dark corner the Food City's I've been to in Va (Galax and Pulaski) did not have any longnecks.

Alan11
06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
Scratch food city then smile.gif check the gas stations and convience stores in and around bristol. Worse case senario like it has been mentioned before head down the mountains over to west jefferson and pick you some up by the case. 14.50 per case when I bought them in April.

Just finished my first case of Dr. Pepper from there this weekend on vacation. Nothing beats a cane sugar bottled drink. Now I am going to break out my case of cheerwine and enjoy that

MISTICman
06-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Bristol has Big RED!?!?!? Do they have Big Red in 12 pk. cans? If so, I might have to make a road trip next week. If they have Orange Cabana Banana Mistic, that'll be a really big bonus! I can't help it...I got addicted to that stuff. :)

Cheer-wined
07-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Another one to look for, if you want a different taste...

Dr. Enuf has a new reto-looking ACL glass bottle; they had it at the Dr. Enuf booth at the street festival in WJ last weekend.

BottleBoss
07-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Does Dr. Enuf actually have some sort of cult following like Moxie? I've had it and thought it tasted like carbonated aspirin water. YUK!

Cheer-wined
07-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Apparently they do but it's not so organized like Moxie. The office manager at the Tri-Cities bottling plant told me of some people (mostly on the left coast) that regularly get cases shipped to them.

MISTICman
07-26-2005, 07:25 PM
By the way,
Who is the Mistic distributor in Bristol? I'm thinking about making a trip there for Big Red, but if they have some flavors of Mistic I like there, I might save up a little more.