PDA

View Full Version : Mello Yello and Vault in Winona

David J.
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
My dad is from Winona, so the whole family goes down every summer. This year is really special as it's my dad's 45th high school reunion, so while I am down there I am just wondering if I could easily find Mello Yello and Vault at the stores. It sure beats drinking Diet Pepsi and Coke.

Much to my mom's complaning, I have been buying fridge packs of Mello Yello because it is limited in my area, and I am afraid it is going to go away very fast.

Dr. Galaga
06-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Last I heard Winona still bottles Mello Yellow in returnable 10 oz. bottles - BUUUUT - you have to bring in empty 10 oz. (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite or MY) bottles to exchange. I don't know about the stuff that they bring in.

Mr Zabe
06-01-2006, 06:01 PM
LOL Sounds like the Soup Nazi of soda pop bottlers. LOL

ithastabeshasta
06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
They have to be that way because some dingbats will buy the bottles full then sell the empties as being rare on the big auction site.

[ 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: ithastabeshasta ]

Dr. Galaga
06-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Yea, you have to remember that the 6.5 and 10 ounce bottles are sold at antique stores and such for about $5 a pop. Like ihastabeshasta said, people would get the bottles and sell them and then the bottler will run out of bottles to refill. Here's part of an article that ran a few years ago:

An old-time baby Coke bottle, made of glass thicker than the nerdiest bifocals, sells for $12.50 at the R.D. Cone Co. antiques shop on Second Street in Winona.
Three blocks over, at the Coca Cola Bottling Co. of Winona, the original 6.5-ounce contoured Coke bottles are still meant for quenching a thirst, not collecting.
Now, they're a collector's item. Once they were the only way to buy a soda.
He never planned on being the relic of a nearly obsolete business. Coke just tastes better in a cool glass bottle, Kuhlmann insists. So as long as he can maintain a stash of bottles -- the refillable ones, thick enough to withstand repeated use, that haven't been manufactured in ages -- he'll keep filling them, just like his dad did for more than 70 years.

David J.
06-01-2006, 10:58 PM
So you can't buy 12 packs or anything like that?!