PDA

View Full Version : Cherry RC

David J.
07-30-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm really craving some, but only regular RC is for sale in my area.

Any leads?

the saint
07-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Not anywhere close to you, but I know where it is sold in OKlahoma

dahojo
07-31-2006, 12:29 PM
Awhile I thought someone said West VA or KY.

fusion
07-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Nowhere near you, unfortunately. The companies that did distribute it are either out of business, or don't distribute it anymore. It's basically a mid-west/southern drink now, from what I can tell.

David J.
07-31-2006, 09:13 PM
I see. I haven't seen any since '99/'00. The same with Hires Root Beer.

I may just buy some RC -- two liters are cheap and put cherry juice or something.

Android
08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I think the only time I've seen it in recent years were in areas served by Full Service/All-American bottling.
-Andy

bigrich
08-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Add Tri-State Canners to the Cherry RC list. AKA(Big Red/RC Evansville).

Cheer-wined
08-01-2006, 09:56 PM
The closest place I could think of is still 500+ miles from NYC.

In eastern KY it's distributed by RC Bentley in Whitesburg (product is made by Tri-State as mentioned above).

Mellow Moon of Paragould AR bottles/cans it for distribution in AR, MS, AL (maybe other states as well).

Up until 2-3 years ago it could be bought in southern VA through RC Chicago, but that has since dried up.

Once in a while I used to find it in the All-American territory in eastern TN, that also seems to have dried up.

The bigger 3rd tier bottlers in the southeast - like Carolina Beverage, Choice USA, Dixie Riverside and Southeast Atlantic - don't carry it either.

Which bottler makes it besides All-American, Tri-State and Mellow Moon - maybe Temple? Big Shot/RC? Has it completely disappeared from Chicago or did another bottler pick it up from Adamany?

dahojo
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Speaking of bigger 3rd tier bottlers in the southeast RC Cola Asheville does not carry it either.

All-American is now DPSU group, so that don't look good for Cherry RC.

Android
08-02-2006, 11:27 AM
All-American is now DPSU group, so that don't look good for Cherry RC. [/QB]Bummer, didn't know about that! :( Haven't seen any changes on the cans:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/Pepsi/CherryRCcan.jpg

-Andy

fusion
08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
I want to say that Big Springs Coke produces it for distribution by different indie guys.

Adamany territory in southern VA was split up between Honickman Canada Dry Potomac and Virginia Beach Beverages (aka Pepsi Central VA/Shenendoah).

There was another distributor around South Hill (Lawrence) but it looks like they may have gotten out of the soda business all together.

I remember seeing it in Lexington KY. I also think I saw it in cubes in Leitchfield KY.

Cheer-wined
08-03-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that Big Springs doesn't make RC cherry. The 3rd tier distributor in Madison AL (just outside of Huntsville) buys it from Mellow Moon. They do make a darn good Sundrop though.

Lawrence was a distributor for Adamany-produced RC brands (Nehi, RC, Diet Rite) but they lost those franchises to Piedmont Cheerwine in 2003. Piedmont Cheerwine/IBC doesn't produce RC Cherry for obvious reasons, so the brand disappeared from Southside VA.

Adamany had RC franchises in AL and GA but I don't know what's happened to them either. I was in eastern AL (Anniston/Talladega) earlier this year and I couldn't make heads or tails out of the 3rd tier there. I believe this used to be RC Columbus' area. Some places had no 3rd tier brands at all, some had a bizarre mix - I remember one Food World that had DPSU brands coming from 6 different bottlers. The shelves were a real mess. If anyone knows who is servicing this area feel free to chime in ...

As far as I remember RC Asheville doesn't have a production line, they buy from bottlers like IBC or SEABEV, neither of which has RC cherry. Not really that big a distributor when you look at the size of their territory and population served.

fusion
08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
With Buffalo Rock shedding non-Pepsi brands, there are opportunities for other distributors to expand their territories, pick up new brands, or even for new distributors to start businesses.

7Up Southeast, a division of CSBG, has warehouses in Bessemer AL and Mobile AL.

http://birmingham.bizjournals.com/birmingham/stories/2006/04/24/story2.html?from_yf=1

And, as an aside, Huntsville Coke owns a company called Chambers Bottling.

http://www.hsvcocacola.com/index.php

fusion
08-04-2006, 08:50 PM
I'll have to go through the Huntsville/Madison area on my next roadtrip. I went through central AL on my last trip, didn't have time to detour to the north.

Fixx
08-16-2006, 02:56 PM
A side note, just because it says "bottled under the authority of DPSU" doesnt mean the distributorship is owned by DPSU. It means the brand is owned by DPSU. For instance, in Southern California, Coca Cola Bottling is the distributor of Squirt which is a DPSU brand. It says "bottled under the authority of DPSU" but it is still DISTRIBUTED by Coca Cola Bottling of Los Angeles.

Fixx
08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
By the way, Cherry RC is an awesome product and mixed with a bit of rum is even better than Cherry Coke with rum.

Later