PDA

View Full Version : minnesota & wisconsin

Cheer-wined
09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Some of the sweet nectar hauled back from a trip to Minne-soda and Wisconsin. Notes below.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Minnesota.jpg

Marcel’s. Posts from other board members led me to this jewel disguised as a coffee distributor in Bloomington. The owner is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet and geez these folks have got the goods. They only sell glass and I found sodas from these bottlers and more:

Mellow Moon (RC, Nehi)
Dr Pepper of Texas (Dr Pepper, Sunkist). This is the first time I’ve seen the new DP logo on a glass bottle.
Dublin Dr Pepper
Orca Bottling (Bubble Up, Moxie, Dad’s, Quench, Nesbitts)
Real Soda (Bubble Up& others)
August Schell Brewing (Buddy’s)
Gray’s Brewing
Filbert’s
Iron Horse
Ely’s, unfortunately only the raspberry no blueberry. An unusual company.
Boylan’s
Sprecher

If you are ever in Minnesota, heck if you are anywhere near the Mississippi River, jump in and swim, swim, swim until you get to the Twin Cities. Marcels is a must see.

Dr McGillicuddy’s (bought near LaCrosse WI) was a brand I had never seen. It is from New Orleans and the company has a web site. Woodman's I've already raved about, another retailer that's worth a significant detour.

Dang! Root beer came from a Machine Shed restaurant near St. Paul. Overpriced at $2/bottle but so gimmicky I had to try it. Butterscotch. This could be vile.

Spring Grove seems to have cut back on some of their flavors since switching from deli bottles – I think I saw 5 or 6 flavors but their website shows more. The Lemon Sour was purchased in Winona.

Killebrew came from a Cub Foods. Some of you oldies might remember Harmon Killebrew from the Twins, his son owns a beverage company. Their sodas are sweetened with Minnesota honey & HFCS.

I also got to visit the Coca-cola bottler in Winona. The owner gave me a quick tour and we talked for a while. His pride in this business really shows through, another super nice fella who goes to show that the smaller bottlers are the heart & soul of what’s left of the indy bottling industry in the US. He is the only Coke bottler that does 3 sizes of returnables, 6 ½ , 10 and 16 oz.
http://home.triad.rr.com/coolmoon/Winona-Coke.JPG
Another great find thanks to posts on this board.

For those about to drink pop, Wisconsin & Minnesota, I salute you.

ithastabeshasta
09-30-2006, 03:09 PM
I went to Marcel's this morning and came back with these.

http://www.canconnection.com/marcelsa.jpg

A great place to shop for glass bottle soda. A bit expensive but worth it for the selection.

Mr Zabe
09-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Boy does that bottle of Sunkist look oh so tasty. smile.gif

Dr. Galaga
09-30-2006, 05:06 PM
You must have stopped at the IGA in Winona for the Spring Grove. When I was there a few months ago I noticed that they only had a few of the flavors. SG still make all 8 flavors that they used to (I picked up a few of each). I ended up buying mine just outside of Rochester in a town called Stewartville. I went in most of the stores in Rochester and couldn't find any. The store I did find them in had a display by the registers, not in the pop isle.
BTW, I just had one of their Cream Sodas with my dinner tonight! :D

ithastabeshasta
09-30-2006, 05:59 PM
What did you think of the SG Cream soda? My mother loves it! She says it reminds her of the cream soda she used to get at her fathers store when she was young.

Dr. Galaga
09-30-2006, 09:20 PM
I like all of their sodas. Good flavor, not too strong or syrupy. It seems like my uncle really likes the cream soda too.
Maybe next summer I'll also hit Marcels when I'm up there.

[ 09-30-2006, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Galaga ]

Cheer-wined
10-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Has anyone seen Green River at Marcel's recently? They didn't have it when I was there. Marcel's owner told me that the guy who owns Ely soda had bought the rights for Green River in all of MN and was going to be distributing it in 20oz PET.

Yes the Spring Grove came from Midtown IGA, but everywhere I stopped had only 5 or 6 flavors, including the Woodmans and Festival in La Crosse. The Lemon sour is next on my list to drink, what a great name.

Also I didn't even think to mention the draft-only root beers, I tried a couple at Lakeview Drive Inn in Winona (very good) and 1919 root beer at Schell's in New Ulm (also tasty).

[ 10-02-2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

SURGE
10-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Minnesota is blessed with many great indy Coke bottlers from Viking (the recent #10 top US bottler) all the way to the ma'an'pa in Winona which is a Minnesota favorite (though you gotta get ur own returnables if you want a refill.) 'm glad you took the time to see what midwestern- bottling pride is all about.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
10-04-2006, 09:44 AM
that marcels place, in bloomington, isnt that city where the big mall is? i am kinda planning to take a trip there someday, and that would be awesome to be able to get all that soda.

ithastabeshasta
10-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Marcels is less than 5 miles away from the Mall of America.

Blue Efficacy
10-17-2006, 10:32 PM
Where can I find Big Red or Sun Drop in MN?

David J.
10-18-2006, 11:31 PM
I want to know too... I'm going to see my grandma again next summer.

Winona is a huge coke stronghold. I drink tons and tons of Mello Yello, because it is scarce in my area.

Dr. Galaga
10-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Blue Efficacy:
Where can I find Big Red or Sun Drop in MN? Marcels!

If you are willing to venture over to the WI side you should be able to find some Sun Drop. You may need to venture closer to Madison, since I know it is all over in that area. In Shawano and Seymour, they have a hard time keeping up on the SD (glass bottle) refilling line during the summer months!

Rob The SURGE Drinker
10-19-2006, 08:56 PM
the madison/janesville area is full of sundrop. 20 oz, 2 liters, 24 packs, 12 packs, 16.9 oz bottles...

ithastabeshasta
10-20-2006, 12:18 PM
You can get Sun Drop in cans 1 hour north of the twin cities in Cambridge. I have also found Big Red in some gas stations in south st paul the EZ Stop on Concord and interstate 494 has had it in the past.

Blue Efficacy
11-11-2006, 02:46 PM
I went on a trip to Mankato this weekend, and it was a good time. Getting out of PBG territory is always good stuff. I found myself 20 oz bottles of orange crush and Sun Drop! I can occasionally find Sun Drop in cans at random Rainbow foods, but never in bottles...
The Pepsi Bottler, part of Wis-pak, makes sunkist, I forgot to check if they had orange twister or not.
The C-stores also had 20 oz RC cola!
I have to say, American Bottling does a much better job distributing their lower tier products outside the metro area.

[ 11-11-2006, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Blue Efficacy ]

Mr Zabe
11-11-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm spoiled as American Bottling distributes/ bottles from Illinois.
I can get fresh American Bottling brands on sale and just about when ever I want them.

This morning I found 500ml 6pk bottles for $2.00.
They had RC,Orange Crush,Strawberry Crush,7up,DP and few others.
Like I always say Chi Town is a soda pop freaks dream (Big Three). LOL

[ 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
11-11-2006, 07:12 PM
if the pepsi code there is WT, yes, orange twister and diet orange twister is made.