PDA

View Full Version : Yet another boneheaded energy drink review

puck
11-21-2001, 10:08 PM
Is anybody out there ever going to get it? Amp is reviewed and all they can talk about is how it tastes. Is aspirin reviewed by taste? Antibiotics? One might think they'd at least give mention as to it's efficacy.

Think, people. Nobody shells out $1.99 for 8.3 oz based on taste. It's a functional food category. Refreshment doesn't enter into the equation.

sodasommelier
11-22-2001, 10:36 AM
With all due respect, Puck... if taste doesn't enter into it at all, why don't we all just swallow a pill and wash it down with Afri-Cola or something else that we like?

Anyway, although I'm not personally a fan of Red Bull I think that your customer base has developed a loyalty to its taste because they associate it with the whole aura that your company promotes: energy, popularity, necessity, etc. Actually, I think that all of these "stupid" copycat thimble can drinks are only making your brand stand out all the more.

On the other hand, I cannot make heads or tails out of most of these drink reviews; alot of them are on the money but many of them just seem to be either random or guided by some sort of outside force.

So have you moved to Brentwood yet? Ready to get set up as a home delivery account for exotic soft drinks, waters, and nectars? http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

Ron Swedelson
11-23-2001, 05:54 PM
I have yet to try it. But the few people who have told me it tastes good and works aswell. I try to drink all of the drinks on the market just to know the competition, but with all of them out there, Ill go broke before I get half way done.

sodasommelier
11-24-2001, 12:29 AM
Ron, don't forget how much it'll cost to have your stomach pumped!!! http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

Better yet, just wait til Amp ends up in the 99¢ Store. Then you don't have to buy it 'cause once it's there that is a testimony to its quality.

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

SURGE
01-04-2002, 01:33 PM
With the way Pepsi is pushing Amp you may have to wait awhile till it gets to the 99¢ bin. As for RedBull I agree with Danny if people didnt like the flavor they would save alot of money and just take a few herbal pills and a caffine pill. If they did that they could save 95% of their money and still have the same buz or whatever. I have tried every energy drink I can find. Redbull ranks near the bottom in flavor for me but it is distinct it feels powerfull and that is what people are looking for. I think RedBull has a bright close term future but I think that unless they diversify once people grow tired of energy drinks they will fail. I have no hate for RedBull as a company and infact some of the foregn Redbull is actually fairly good I just doubt that this fad will continue to much longer.

-Avery

Crimson Bovine Missile
01-23-2002, 03:42 PM
Puck,

they still don't get it, they just don't get it :confused:

sodasommelier
01-24-2002, 01:57 AM
Wow, what a name! If Piccolo Pete were working for you folks I suppose his handle would be "Magenta Buffalo Butt".

Anyway, I think Red Bull has somewhat peaked. It's kind of like Snapple in that it's no longer the big hype in town but it's got its place and it'll continue with about this percentage of popularity and continue to be copycatted for quite some time. Just like Snapple, I can't imagine ever going to buy a Red Bull but many others will continue to do so.

I think that the age of good-tasting, bottled energy drinks has arrived; although I think Red Bull will still be around, you'll see some of the glass stuff rise to the occasion. Some day, let's look back at this and see if I was right!! smile.gif

Mr. Budrell
01-24-2002, 03:27 AM
SS,

On what do you base your assumption that Red Bull has peaked? (And unless I'm mistaken, didn't Snapple's peak come about by a gross mismanagment of its brand strategy once it was initially bought out by Quaker?)

Also, is taste really the reason why people shell out $2.00+ for an 8.3 oz can? Time and time again I see in these forums Red Bull getting trashed for its taste. Yet it does have a monopoly on the category (and it is beginning to branch out and grab a larger share of the New Age category in general on an almost daily basis.) Surely then the functionality of the brand must come into play.

What about the brand's image and the brand's presence? When was the last time you remembered a brand that could illicit so much loyalty and so much hatred simultaneously among people who have nothing to do with the company? (In stark contrast to the Jones' debate that seems to rage within the confines of these beverage specific forums, while the general population seems quite unaware, and uninterested.)

Finally, if Red Bull is such a fad, why is it beginning to outsell Coke 20oz, Pepsi 20z, Mountain Dew 20oz combined, in older Red Bull markets in the US? The Nielsen numbers don't lie and all trends indicate that the absurd success Red Bull has had to date, pales in comparison to what is to come.

Let's look back some day and see if I wasn't right...

-- Ruby

sodasommelier
01-24-2002, 09:58 AM
I never said Red Bull was a fad. Also, of course people buy it for its functionality. In fact, I think the whole idea behind Red Bull's marketing is to promote its functionality and to attempt to make the working class feel that it is a necessary part of their daily sustenance.

As far as taste goes, of course people do not buy Red Bull for its taste. The only reason a bunch of us bring up the taste is because last time I checked, it appears that Red Bull is intended to be consumed orally. So for that reason, taste can always end up being a factor. I've found that many people who want to drink an energy drink who taste one that tastes better than Red Bull and works as well will often switch. However, not to worry on your end because of that virtual monopoly that you have; even if many people might prefer a substitute, most of the good ones are only sparsely and regionally available. Most of your copycats (if not all of the canned ones) are horrible; the bad ones only help to strengthen your name.

My point about the peak is based perhaps on the fact that I'm in Los Angeles where Red Bull has been available for a few years already. Roaming around town it seems like most people know what Red Bull is, and there are those who buy it and those who do not. There is some minor fluctuation between brand loyalties but basically, I think the L.A. market is aware. I don't see anyone who has heretofore decided not to consume Red Bull as likely to start now.

Anyway, I could be right, could be wrong... nobody's paying me for my comments. This is all in good fun. As for our comments on Jones, the uninterested are not those for whom the comments are intended. Those who have never heard of Jones are the luckiest in the land!! smile.gif

Ron Swedelson
01-24-2002, 01:36 PM
Let me try and re-word a lot of this. Red Bull is reaching its peak in many areas, not as a company. You cant say it has a Monopoly, cause there are many other states that Red Bull is just starting in, or still working up the ranks. In the established areas, yes. A report taken from 7-Eleven just over a year ago showed Red Bull being 4 out of ever 10 purchases in the New Age section. Pretty damn good. But here is why you are starting to peak and why taste is so important. (This is not a true number taken from anywere other than my mind) Lets say out of 100 people who buy Red Bull, 60 say they like the taste, 40 say they drink it cause it works. When talking to the 60 even more, only 35 or 40 actually likes the taste, and the others just got used to it. Here is were your problem lies. If you get a first time purchace from any of the 65 people who dont like the taste, chances are you will only retain a very small protion of them are true customers. Now when AMP is or other energy drinks are ratted as tasting good, many people will try them first. And if it works, and they agree with the taste, you will loose that customer. And with other Energy packed beverages such as Bawls, Lollies Cherry Pop, New Jolt Flavors, etc. people will start trying the lower costing, better tasting beverage loaded with Caffinee. So they will definatly feel the effects, and will enjoy drinking for the upscaled glass bottle look so they don't apprear to be just another one of the sheep. This wasnt a slam, just a pretty realistic look of whats going on. No ones saying you will loose your number one spot any time soon. Its just that huge gap is slowly shrinking.

SURGE
01-24-2002, 09:44 PM
Well Danny and Ron may not agree but I DO think Red Bull is a fad. I mean I dont think it will be the next Coke or Pepsi. Red Bull will be around for quite a bit more time but after awhile people will realize that in the flavor department it sucks and in the utility department you can get alot more cheaper at the GNC store. Now I'm not telling you to stop drinking it and Im not saying it will die but I think its current popularity is temporary. As for it outselling Dew, Coke and Pepsi 20oz last time I check Dew was the #1 20oz bev. Maybe in a FEW markets but even RC does well a few places. Energy drinks simply put are a scam for the most part, atleast Jolt doesnt taste like raw sewage. ewwww!

-Avery

boodoo
01-25-2002, 03:22 PM
I have said before that I only wish I had RB to sell (strictly for the profit don't you know!).

It does sell well, but outsell Coke 20oz? Not in my area. I see the Coke driver deliver from a 20 bay route truck and the RB guy delivers from a van.

Ron Swedelson
01-25-2002, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Ill have to say Dallas/Ft Worth is pretty crazy when it comes to beverages. I have never seen side-loaders driving around with forklifts on the back of them. Red Bull outsell Coke there...no way....in general...it may outsell coke in some stores...but an avg. store is going to sell about 3-4 cases of Red Bull per week, and they are going to sell 4-5 cases of Coke per week as well. Not quite to cokes level, but it still must be nice. I hate the drink...but I would sell it in a second.

SURGE
01-25-2002, 10:39 PM
I for one would not sell it. To me it would be degrading to be part of such a scam its sotra Enronish. I might sell the non-US stuff in bottles but sure not the junk thats sold in the US.

-Avery

the saint
01-25-2002, 11:45 PM
ron,
Most stores in the US that are in an area that isn't on some back country 2 lane dirt hiway are going to sell 4-5 cases of coke 20 ounce a day if not in 1 8 hour shift. Where my route is located I sell 4-5 cases a day of Pepsi 20 oz in one store alone and Pepsi doesn't do half of what coke sells. As far as the comment of red bull outselling coke Pepsi and Dew 20 oz combined, well I think that maybe the poster may have been mixing a little to much of another ingredient into his red bull. I agree with boodoo the coke and Pepsi trucks are 18-20 bay with more than likely total 150-200 drivers out a day between the two compared to ( in OKC metro) 1 (yes i said one) lady that drives all over the entire metro in a ford e250 van. Doesn't quite compute to red bull outselling coke and Pepsi. Heck it doesn't even outsell what the 7up guys deliver here.

sodasommelier
01-26-2002, 01:20 AM
Well, boodoo... not to play Red Devil's Advocate (oops), but those 20-bay side loaders are as such because many of the bays are full of that junk like Frootopia and Newfangled Mad River and other junk that Coke is trying to dump on the folks. However, the compact cases of Red Bull (to their advantage) can probably fill those vans to the tune of about 400 cases if hand-loaded; less if palletized. But it makes such more sense to send those little vans around and deliver those compact cases from a simple parking space than to drive those Mammoth Trucks full of plastic junk. So although I'm no fan of Red Bull, I think their distribution is much more profitable per cubic inch or per road mile. I still think it's best to forego either of those offerings and stock up on what Hamilton's got to offer! ;)

Ron Swedelson
01-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Yeah, its a very profitable thing that Red Bull is doing. For Dist. its a neccesarry evil though. Dist. don't want to loose Red Bull for anything. But Red Bull is tells dist. if they don't opperate a Red Bull focused Van Squad only, they will pull and do it them selfs. It makes sales men un-happy. Its extra money the dist. has to spend for the extra guys and vans. But its still worth it in the end. I would run a Van Squad for Red Bull if offered, thats a given. But for the argument, Red Bull does not out sell Coke or Pepsi. There are some stores were that may be the case, but as a whole, sorry, Red Bull just isnt that great.

boodoo
01-26-2002, 06:47 PM
Yeah SS, I'm getting closer and closer to making a "Real" leap! My sales and delivery staff changed to hand helds this week and with business booming I didn't have time to go to Bishop Avenue and try a Cherry Pop. I intend to do that ASAP.

Back in the day I sold Coke to many c-stores in the FT. Worth area. Red Bull may sell 5-8 cases a week now but even back then I would routinely deliver 75-100 cases to one location (mostly 12oz returnable glass bottles!). With little change in market share since then I have to believe sales are still strong for the red evil corporate giant.

sodasommelier
01-26-2002, 08:14 PM
Yeah boodoo... if they still had it in 12oz returnable bottles, perhaps they'd not be that evil Red corporate giant! They'd be a giant but a good giant like they used to be!!!!

SURGE
01-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Yeah well if your sick of the evil red giant you can move on to the giant that it terrorizing frozen foods....The Green Giant ;)

-Avery

SURGE
01-27-2002, 02:18 PM
Now Danny what is gonna happen when these Energy Drinkers find Afri-Cola? Loaded with Caffine and the best cola I have ever had. oh and did i mention cheaper? in glass! My god it makes me wonder why people shell out $2 for any 8.3 oz CAN of some Energy drink that tastes like junk. If you need a boost buy vitamins or even better BUY AFRI-COLA. You just cant go wrong!

-Avery

Ron Swedelson
01-28-2002, 12:12 AM
Or go for some Bawls, light and refreshing, with a ton of caffinee.

sodasommelier
01-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Well, at least the Green Giant is jolly! Anyway, I get plenty of green from Green River; can't say I've ever bought anything from the Green Giant. Corn on the cob is cheap and much better!!

I think Afri-Cola is excellent (ausgezeichnet) and I also really like Bawls. In fact, this weekend I went to a churrascaria (all-you-can-eat Brazilian steakhouse); didn't have anything that possibly could have come from the Green Giant, but I noticed that they had some cheap canned Guaraná in this white-cloth restaurant. So after dinner I told the owner that I thought it was excellent but that they should perhaps look into getting some Brazilian beer and some Bawls Guaraná. I told him I knew a guy who works with Bawls and with his permission I'll give their card to the salesman. As for Afri-Cola, that might be a step too far for this place but they just took it at the HEIMATHAUS in Alpine Village!

And then speaking of energy drinks, this weekend was the opening of the Cherry Pop club on Santa Monica Blvd in Hollywood. Of course, the sponsor of this event was Lolli's Cherry Pop and she was there to meet everyone. The club was packed. You could hardly hear or see anything inside because there were so many people (many of which were drinking bottles of Lolli's). Outside, along with all of the smokers, there was a line about a block and a half long, of people waiting to get in. The fire marshal makes people wait til someone leaves to let the next one in. It dwarfed a 1980's line of Russians waiting for ice cream!

Hey, I should tell them to send a bottle to the Bev Net! However, the Illusion guy says it may take a long time to get a review! Oh well, I'll tell her anyway. The Lolli girl put her picture into the logo as a pin-up girl; perhaps the reviewers will be tempted to open it a little sooner... !

yumsoda
02-04-2002, 04:45 PM
I agree; that Lolli's is fun stuff! We've got a full-on display in our store's window (for Valentine's Day, y'know?) and that Lolli Girl's a real eye-catcher. :eek:

Ron Swedelson
02-05-2002, 01:01 AM
but you know, putting up a display of Bawls next to Lolies would be great as well. Lollies for the girls (pink) and Bawls for the guys (blue), talk about great marketing.

sodasommelier
02-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Yes, that is true. We sell to a sex shop in Long Beach and they have Lolli's, Bawls, and Love Potion # 69 all on display for Valentine's. I must say that what I've heard about Yum means they probably have something similar. I've heard they have a better variety than Galco! I know all three are there, too; just not in a Valentine's display. And then of course there are places in Scottsdale and Dallas that have the same...

Mr.Surge
10-22-2002, 06:22 PM
I think Red Bull and other energy drinks are right now what cherry flavored drinks were in the 80's and early 90's. Cherry Coke was a big hit. Soon everyone had a Cherry beverage. There was Cherry Pepsi, Cherry 7up, Cherry RC, and every store brand. Finally everyone just got kind of "got over" the taste. It's not that cherry suddenly tasted bad, but people weren't surprised by it anymore. I think the same will happen with energy drinks. Chances are that folks will figure out it's just concentrated sodas with extra vitamins in it. I think if anything, it will help sodas in the long run. The big boys will learn a few tricks from Red Bull and maybe begin to fortify their colas and sodas with guarana and taurine etc, but they'll still offer more volume at a better price and Red Bull will return to it's niche.

Energydude
10-27-2002, 09:24 AM
I think people are getting tired of "crap in a can" and they are starting to realize how stupid they look carrying around a little tin can. The whole energy game is about to change!!!

<db>
01-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Try Dark Dog energy...the best on the market!

Energydude
11-22-2003, 03:52 PM
Dark what??? :rolleyes:

cph
12-13-2003, 11:46 AM
I tried the Red Bull a few years back ... to me it didn't taste bad, sort of a medicinal (cough syrup) taste maybe, but nothing really awful.

Isn't an awful lot of Red Bull being used as mixers w/vodka? Then the issue of taste is a bit different, since the alcohol will change the flavor quite a bit (ever try an alcohol-free beer lately? Not quite the same)

There's no secret that there's a lot of me-too also-ran drinks in this category. It seems like everyone and his uncle is coming out with an energy drink that will be "the next Red Bull". Good luck....

Energydude
01-03-2004, 01:37 PM
I think that is the great thing about SumPoosie! It is really a much better product than Red Bull all around. It looks better, smells better, taste better and mixes better than Red Bull. The packaging is also much better, I think everything taste better in glass. :cool:

<not again>
01-05-2004, 03:34 PM
The Sum Poosie guys really trys to push his product on every board here, huh?.
I say "less time in front of the comp. and more time in the field!"
A hint from an x Red Bull Guy.

Energydude
01-05-2004, 07:05 PM
I am not pushing it I am discussing it. That is what this board is for. The facts are the facts. tongue.gif

<once again>
01-06-2004, 09:02 PM
discussing with who?

Energydude
01-07-2004, 11:03 AM
At the very least....you! At the very most.... everyone on the board. ;)

The Alternative Crow
02-08-2004, 10:32 AM
What drinks you need to buy... are.

1: Afri-Cola
2: Fukola Cola
3: The Drink
4: Dublin Dr. Pepper
5: Black Lemonade
6: Immortalizer

There you go, all of my favorites.