PDA

View Full Version : Waiting period for new members

Mr Zabe
07-09-2005, 07:56 AM
Hi,
In light of the on going problem of spammers becoming new members of this board,I propose a brief waiting period for all new members so that either a moderator or Bevnet can scan their application.

This waiting period will throw a road block either stopping a spammer or making a spammer think twice about messing with this board.

Just my two cents. I have seen this system work rather well on other boards.

Mr Zabe

[ 07-09-2005, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

mjb1124
07-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Here's a better idea.

On another board I post at, all new members must have their posts approved by a moderator before they appear on the board. Once the moderators have determined that a member is legit, they take away that restriction. Also, anybody who submits a post which is accepted, and then edits it to say something that wouldn't have been acceptable, gets banned immediately.

I think this could work very well on this board.

Mr Zabe
07-09-2005, 06:13 PM
That an excellent idea!!!!!!
I do recall being on a board that put newbies on "probation" just as you said.

Most newbies who started posting on a regular basis were watched by the monitor for a week or so. It seem to be a good system.

At this point any good system would be a positive thing for this fine board of ours.

[ 07-09-2005, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Robot
07-10-2005, 12:01 AM
eh, i dont think that would work.. these guys have a good time waisting their time messing with a board, and would simply post a good 5-10 messages or whatever it took to appear legit, and then spam the board..

Mr Zabe
07-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Just for the sake of your example.
Say a new member is on a 10 post probation and then on post 11 he/she starts spamming the board.

In this situation, we now know who the spammer is and we have his email address and or ISP, which can be used to report this person to some federal agency (I'm not sure????).

See the criteria for a new member should be that he/she fill out a very simple personal data sheet.
This information is kept confidential and only used to resolve sever board issues. If you do not like the policy then perhaps this board is not for you. Yes it sounds harsh but now we do not even have a front door to this board. Anyone and all can start posting with an account with in minutes.

Either we slow down the admittance to this board or we play limted big brother with a personal data sheet maintined by Bevnet or the board monitor.
Both ways give us (Bevnet and or the board monitor better control over spammers and trolls.

[ 07-10-2005, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

yankees26mlb
07-11-2005, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:
Here's a better idea.

On another board I post at, all new members must have their posts approved by a moderator before they appear on the board. Once the moderators have determined that a member is legit, they take away that restriction. Also, anybody who submits a post which is accepted, and then edits it to say something that wouldn't have been acceptable, gets banned immediately.

I think this could work very well on this board. I've seen that on message boards and it doesnt work. The moderator has to be on a lot for the board to flow well

BottleBoss
07-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Viewing every message would take too much time don't you think? Pehaps they just need to be banned when they start spamming. I think our problem has really just been with 1 person, who may now be gone.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-12-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm not completely down with the probation messages for new users. Many people sign up for accounts at the sight of a good discussion thread, and to have a lag time after their post is submitted would sometimes dampen a post's context, not to mention the occasional topic jumping with threads. So by the time the posts reach the board, they may not be relevant.

I'm more for a detailed registration process, with things like verifiable email, etc, that would of course be confidential.

As for spammers that get through, all we need is diligent moderators and zero tolerance policy for spam. We could have a sticky at the top of the board stating the rules. And once one disingenuous post surfaces, the user can be banned immediately.

SEV

BevNET
07-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Email address is verified before being able to post.

Given that this board generates zero revenue for us, this board is something that we spend very little time on. However, we want something that is enjoyed by our visitors and we don't want it filled with idiotic trollers.

The most likely scenario is that we'll institute a couple of volunteer moderators. First we need to investigate what our software is capable of doing....That's most likely the limiting factor.

Until then, we again encourage everyone to use the "report post" option. We are usually very quick to respond.

Mr Zabe
07-12-2005, 10:14 PM
BevNET,
I will speak for myself and my fellow board mates,
thank you for providing us a very cool message board. Just in the past few days there were several board mates that had some serious industry questions. Our expert board mates were able to help them resolve their questions.

What I'm getting at is this board really helps many people in this industry and those who love soda pop.

Your idea of using volunteer moderators on the board would be a welcomed improvement.

Thanks again,

Mr Zabe

[ 07-12-2005, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

BottleBoss
07-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I appreciate this board also. But I don't see how a waiting period would help. What would you wait for? Would someone be doing a back ground check? NOT! Like I said before, I think our trouble maker is gone for the time being. If not for good.