PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Pibb Back??

<keithk>
05-16-2003, 01:19 PM
I just went to the new Krispy Kreme in Cranston RI which just opened last wek. I noticed that they had Mr. Pibb in the fountain...everywhere i have been in the pastyear has changed to Pibb Xtra and since this store Just opened i found it weird that that had Mr. Pibb rather than Pibb Xtra..I hope its coming back!!

teamtitan512
05-22-2003, 09:30 PM
It's just a label, they probably didn't have any Pibb Xtra logos around, so they used up an old Mr. Pibb. I'd say the product is still Pibb Xtra though. Many fountains and vending machines here still have Mr. Pibb up instead of Pibb Xtra.

Booker T
08-01-2004, 06:50 PM
I remember Mr. Pibb. I used to love Mr. Pibb. I used to drink that soda pop when I was kid. It tasted like Dr. Pepper. Does Pibb Xtra taste like Dr. Pepper.

<Rob>
10-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Pibb Xtra is like a watered down Mr. Pibb with a slightly altered taste. It doesn't come close to the great taste of Mr. Pibb. I buy Pibb Xtra only a fraction of the amount I bought of Mr. Pibb.

Refreshed Magicman
10-15-2004, 09:23 AM
I find Pibb Xtra more spicey than Mr. Pibb. It definetly has a kick to it.

<Jay>
01-03-2005, 07:55 AM
I loved the old Mr. Pibb, but I still will drink Pibb Xtra often.

Red Fusion RoX
02-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Pibb Xtra tastes EXACTLY like Dr Pepper, for the casual soda drinker there is no difference whatsoever. Mr Pibb definitely rocked though. I think the regular Mr Pibb definitely had more flavor to it than Pibb Xtra.

drpep
02-15-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Red Fusion RoX:
Pibb Xtra tastes EXACTLY like Dr Pepper, for the casual soda drinker there is no difference whatsoever. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OOS
03-13-2005, 05:42 PM
segs :mad: segs :mad: segs :mad: segsegsegsegsegsegsegsegsegsegsegsegsegsegseg :mad: egsegsegs :mad: segseg :mad:

Terynntinker
03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Does anyone know where I can get Pibb Xtra? I live in San Diego,CA and I've seen it in restaurants here but I can't find it in stores. Help?

<Pibbfan>
04-21-2005, 09:19 PM
I am in San Diego also. However, Mr Pibb will never be available in cans of bottles because Coke has a special agreement with Dr. Pepper that in cities where Coke owns the Pepper license they cannot sell the Pibb brand. You can only buy Pibb in cities where Pepsi owns the Pepper license.

BottleBoss
04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
I was under the impression the pib and pibxtra were the same under different names. Am i wrong here?

mjb1124
04-29-2005, 09:48 AM
No, Mr. Pibb was the original, which had a sweeter and smoother taste, kind of like Red Fusion. Pibb Xtra is a straight-up clone of Dr Pepper.

<troubsagain>
05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I wish they would bring back Mr Pibb. I hate the Pibb Xtra, its just nasty!

sirslash
05-06-2005, 12:42 AM
Pibbxtra i feel is better then pepper
doesnt have the bad aftertaste reg pepper has

<Where to Buy ??>
07-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Does anyone out there know where I could buy a few cans of Mr. Pibb via mail? Not interested in PibbXtra, just plain old Mr. Pibb. I haven't had a Mr. Pibb in decades...reading all the posts gives me that hankerin' !!

I'm in Cleveland they don't sell it here.

Happy to pay someone a little extra for going to the trouble....

Thanks much,

Bruce in Cleveland
bhennes(AT)gmail.com

Look In The Tunk
07-08-2005, 11:46 PM
Bruce,

Mr. Pibb is completly gone everywhere. It was replaced by Pibb Xtra in 2002-ish. Unless you look hard on ebay you can't find any ******.

Darren
07-15-2005, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't say Pibb Xtra is nasty, it's good, but it's not as good as the original Mr. Pibb.

Look In The Tunk
07-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Darren:
I wouldn't say Pibb Xtra is nasty, it's good, but it's not as good as the original Mr. Pibb. That's my stance on it too.

<higgins>
09-05-2005, 03:22 PM
I don't believe that Pibb Xtra is just repackaged Pibb. Tastes very spicy to me. A really nice kick.

The Alternative Crow
10-04-2005, 08:13 PM
[ 10-04-2005, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: BevNET ]

<barn>
10-14-2005, 11:39 AM
In my opinion dr. pepper tastes completely different from mr. pibb esp from a fountain drink. Mr. Pibb in my personal opinion is way better. It's been years since i've had a pibb compared to a pibb xtra but I think the pibb xtra is great.

<Pibberiffic>
11-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Long time Pibb fan, Here's the scoop:

Mr. Pibb = Pibb Xtra
Diffrent marketing/name, same product.

I can usually only find it in fountains in memphis, but in Atlanta, they have 2-liters, and CANS!

Still like it better than dr p, sure, it has a bit less bite, but it's sweeter. A distinct beverage, not just a copy.

Now to find some New Coke....

Rob The SURGE Drinker
11-24-2005, 12:22 AM
i found a single can of mr pibb origanal in a vending machine... i pushed the Pibb Xtra button and out popped a mr pibb! i tryed again, but sadly got a pibb xtra... that was odd though, just one can sitting in a vending machine

<cmsobba>
11-29-2005, 09:04 PM
mr. pibb and pibbxtra are the exact same thing, coke had to change the name because of a lawsuit

icantellthedifference
12-22-2005, 07:19 AM
I'm interested in hearing about this lawsuit, always wondered what happened to mr. pibb.

<Phlod>
02-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Old Mr. Pibb used to be a wonderful Dr. Pepper clone. Not exactly the same, different in just the right ways, like Mello Yellow and Dew, so if I was sick of one, I'd drink the other for a while.
Mr. Pibb had notes of Cinnamon, Vanilla, and the subtle hint of clove (Dr. Pepper does to a lesser extent). Xtra has notes of soda water, and the hint of high-fructose corn syrup. Even Shasta, or generic sodas have a better clone than this usually.

Fie on Xtra!

<lycoperson>
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
My next door neighbor and I recently had a discussion/ disagreement about the flavor characteristic of Dr. Pepper. I said it's similar to Mr. Pibb, with a spicy twist on a root beer base. She says the base doesn't taste like root beer at all, but a cherry flavor. I realize that taste perception is subjective, but your comments to help settle our dispute on the flavor profile of Dr. Pepper would be appreciated. Thanks.

<AzRocksistolazytologin>
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
i only have had pibb xtra once in my life- in washingon dc last year. here in ny coke bottles dr. pepper so none of it is here. i liked pibb xtra better then dr. pepper but that could be just b/c it was a "new" soda for me

01GTB
04-08-2006, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by &lt;lycoperson&gt;:
My next door neighbor and I recently had a discussion/ disagreement about the flavor characteristic of Dr. Pepper. I said it's similar to Mr. Pibb, with a spicy twist on a root beer base. She says the base doesn't taste like root beer at all, but a cherry flavor. I realize that taste perception is subjective, but your comments to help settle our dispute on the flavor profile of Dr. Pepper would be appreciated. Thanks. She wins tongue.gif Com'on! Root beer? I remember going into places over the years and ordering a Dr Pepper, and on several occasions the person taking the order saying "we don't have Dr Pepper, we have root beer." That's like saying "we don't have steak, would you like some cat food?" If you think Dr Pepper tastes like root beer, you need to recalibrate your taster ;)

Mr Zabe
04-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Well said. smile.gif

the saint
04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
"I remember going into places over the years and ordering a Dr Pepper, and on several occasions the person taking the order saying "we don't have Dr Pepper, we have root beer."

I have heard this same thing many times, all of them were when I was either out towards CA. or towards NY. I too think that the root beer flavor is a very wrong take on the unique flavor of Dr Pepper.

doug1885
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
There was a Taco Bell near me whose Dr Pepper always tasted like root beer. Maybe that's where people are getting the wrong impression. (I guess there should be some sort of rule that tubing used for root beer shouldn't be used for any other beverage afterwards!)

In fact, please don't use tubing that has had any other beverage in it for Dr Pepper. Thank you smile.gif

-Doug

Dr Pepper
04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
I dont think root beer tastes anything like dr pepper, I hate root beer, but dr pepper is my favorite drink.

<Dr. Pecker>
04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Every time (2x only) I have tried PibbXtra from the fountain, it was too carbonated, so maybe Mcd's was just tring to hide the bad taste.

Bring back the original !! Until then, I'll stick to my Dr. Pepper, thank you.

SupernovaSky
10-26-2006, 04:34 PM
I dont know how any one can say Pibb Xtra and Dr. Pepper taste the same. They are in the same area but yet completly different. Thats like saying pepsi and coke are the same they are completly different.

ChiggerPepi
01-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by doug1885:
There was a Taco Bell near me whose Dr Pepper always tasted like root beer. Maybe that's where people are getting the wrong impression. (I guess there should be some sort of rule that tubing used for root beer shouldn't be used for any other beverage afterwards!)

In fact, please don't use tubing that has had any other beverage in it for Dr Pepper. Thank you smile.gif

-Doug HAHA!!! I used to work at a movie theater, one of our fountains had that problem... here's the deal:

Once you put Root Beer through a line, it will forever make anything sent through that line have a Root Beer flavor to it.

SO... don't ever make that mistake in your fountains!

doug1885
01-06-2007, 07:06 PM
ChiggerPepi wrote:
&gt;Once you put Root Beer through a line, it will forever make anything sent through that line have a Root Beer flavor to it.

I guess it wouldn't work to just send carbonated water through it, because that could save some money! ;)

-Doug

fusion
01-06-2007, 07:30 PM
The correct name for this category is "spicy cherry" - not root beer at all.

That being said, Pibb Xtra has bite to it, Mr. Pibb tasted more flat to me.

I work for CCE in eastern Maryland, and we carry Pibb Xtra in 12 packs in most of our chain stores. 20oz can be found in some c-stores as well.

We also have Pibb Xtra BIBs in our warehouse.