PDA

View Full Version : Jack Daniels Hard Cola

BottleBoss
09-18-2002, 01:35 PM
I saw a buying a bunch of Jack Daniels hard cola the other day. I don't drink so I didn't buy any. What do you all think about it.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-18-2002, 08:44 PM
frankly, i think it's about 3 years too late. plus, any kid at michigan state has a fifth of jack and a 2L of coke ready. we don't need that stinking crap. there's no more room in coolers for all of those things, frankly, i hope they go the way of dry beers.

sodasommelier
09-19-2002, 12:31 AM
I think the problem is that all of those Malternatives are just that.. made from malt. So they add some flavor essence of Jack Daniel's or whatever to some cheapy gummy beer and some cola or lemon or whatever to that. That's why they taste kind of like odd sodas and make you sick the day after. It's better to either have the real stuff or just stick with a soda from a glass bottle.

World Beverage
10-02-2002, 09:01 PM
It's all about being able to advertise
the core name on tv.

mickstafa
10-10-2002, 12:24 PM
I saw a commercial for this stuff last night. It really caught my attention. Has anyone tried it? What does it taste like? I prefer a good ol' Guinness or Newcastle Brown Ale, but I do love sodas too! So whats it taste like? Yay or Nay?

karks88
10-10-2002, 02:21 PM
I tried it last week, it's just ok, nothing spectacular. Now, I will admit to drinking a few Molsons beforehand, so maybe my tastebuds were a bit off. To me, it was very sweet, perhaps a little too sweet. It had a slight Jack & Coke taste.

I may try one again without having any beer before, just to see if it makes a difference.

Mr.Surge
10-11-2002, 01:14 AM
I have to agree that the biggest problem with these drinks is that you're not really drinking the alcohol the brand is associated with.

When you drink SKYY, you're not getting Vodka. When you drink Bacardi Silver, there's no rum. That's a huge mistake too, because some of those drinks would taste GREAT with the real brand behind them. Especially Bacardi Silver. I like the flavor a lot, but the fake rum syrup was crappy.

Corey
11-04-2002, 09:53 AM
In the European markets they are allowed to actually put the alcohol they are promoting in the product. IE - Smirnoff Ice, has Smirnoff Vodka in it. I am not sure, but I believe the reasoning behind the malternatives in the States is that there is a certain alcohol rule! I believe it is higher up, rather than the companies making crap!

Fixx
11-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Actually, SKYY has vodka in it. It is a technique they learned from another bev. company. They put the vodka in the flavoring and then add the malt. A tiny loophole in the US Alcohol laws.
The others are just malt based products. Personally, I did try Jack Daniels Hard Cola and thought it really did taste like a Jack N Coke.

Later

jonnyb
11-17-2002, 09:39 PM
I AM REALLY SURPISED AT MY AMAERICAN COUSIN'S
EVEN UP HERE IN THE FROZEN NORTH WE HAVE VODKA BASED COOLERS AND RUM BASED
MIKE'S HARD LEMONADE IS VODKA BASED UP HEERE AND A LOT BETTER TASTING THAN THE MALT VERSION YOU HAVE IN THE STATES
IS IT TRUE THAT YOU CAN'T ADVERTISE A VODKA COOLER

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-20-2002, 08:40 AM
i got some local sales figures from my distributor on how each of these things are doing, and in the end, it's the big three, Mike's, smirnoff and skyy (third).

stoli isn't doing much and either is that sauza diablo crap. they might get pulled sooner or later too. skyy only sells because it's a big name luxury high end type brand. i don't know how the jack daniels hard cola's doing, i'll ask. miller's trying a new sales pitch where they put skyy, sauza diablo, skyy and stoli all on the same shelving unit to sell all of them at once. who knows. it's all piss anyway...

SamC
11-25-2002, 10:12 PM
There is no actual LEGAL prohibition (no pun intended) on TV advertizing of "hard liquor". Its just a "gentleman's agreement" among the makers not to.

However, it is legal to advertize "malternatives" and you can sell "malternatives" anywhere you can sell beer. In some states you couldn't sell a pre-mixed liquor drink without a hard liquor license (and many jurisdictions are either "dry" or have government monopoly hard liquor retailing).

And, of course, being dreg beer resin and candy flavoring, malternatives and wine coolers are CHEEP to make.

But, yes, the main reason behind malternatives is to advertize the main hard liquor brand on TV and to act as a brand loyality builder and bridge product to bring youth into the hard liquor market.

BottleBoss
12-13-2002, 07:11 PM
So am I getting this straight? A lot of these sodas from booze manufacturers, like Jack Daniels, don't actually have the product in them? No alchohol at all, or just not their normal alchohol based product?

SamC
12-19-2002, 11:03 AM
These products are not from the maker of the hard liquor product. The name, such as "Jack Daniels" is liscensed to a beer maker.

The alcohol is derived from a brewing process, esentually the brewers try to make a tastelss beer product (Zima) to which they add the flavoring, hense the name "malternative". It is legally beer.

There is NO Jack Daniels in Jack Daniels Hard Cola, and it has never been in a barrel in Lynchburg, TN. Its flavorless beer resin and flavoring. Same with Smirnoff Ice, Skyy Blue, etc.

Pete
01-17-2003, 06:16 PM
ok, the answer to why malternatives in the usa dont have real vodka,rum,tequila,etc in them.
if they had the real stuff in it they would get put into a diferent tax category and you would end up payin $15 for a six pack of it. besides its a sneaky way to promote the hard liquor. take smirnoff for instance. until smirnoff ice came about america's best selling vodka was absolute while smirnoff sat in its shadows. now smirniff is the preferred brand outside of designer vodkas; grey goose,belvedere, sky,da vince,etc