PDA

View Full Version : Who else hates that people are copying Red Bull?

The Alternative Crow
12-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Red Bull is the greatest thing to happen to the beverage world, the huge beverage world and is a one of a kind drink, or should be. You know what makes me angry? It is the fact that all these other energy drinks are practicly copying off of it! Red Rooster and Red Dragon. It makes me sick.

[ 02-04-2004, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: The Alternative Crow ]

Coco Rico
12-31-2003, 01:43 AM
What I find amusing, isn't the fact that people are copying Red Bull (that happens with any category leader), but it's the fact that all the imitators and so-called "new" energy drinks act as if they've somehow had an epiphany and created something original. In reality, for all their pomp and circumstance they aren't trying to go after new consumers like Red Bull did, they're riding Red Bull's coat-tails and targeting a pre-existing Red Bull consumer base; which by the way reinforces Red Bull's position as the leader because a direct attack by competitors, though perceived as "negative" is actually the best kind of endorsement there is. It legitimizes Red Bull's claim as the originator, and everyone else as an imitator.

CR

Energydude
12-31-2003, 02:39 AM
Like I have said before McDonalds sells the most hamburgers in the world........does that make it the best burger???? I believe not.... SumPoosie comes in a 12oz. glass bottle and does not look or taste anything like Red Bull. There is nothing wrong with taking a product idea and making it better. SumPoosie is one of the few energy drinks that can stand toe to toe with Red Bull anywhere anytime.... anyplace. tongue.gif

PopNutz
12-31-2003, 08:18 AM
Sum Poosie shouldn't even be called an energy drink! It doesn't work.....no boost at all! I've tried it twice now and I have to say I got no boost either time. It taste o.k. but nothing to clog every thread on this board about.

Anyway back to what this thread is supposed to be about, it does make me laugh when I see a drink like "Bull Fighter" copy even the colors and design of the can. There's even a few out there that put statements like "None of the Bull" right on their label or on there web site like Sum Poosie LOL!

onenudedude
12-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Energydude:
SumPoosie is one of the few energy drinks that can stand toe to toe with Red Bull anywhere anytime.... anyplace. tongue.gif Lets see your crappy bottle go head to head with Red Bull in Walmart. What? Wal Mart won't take you on? Then I guess your bottle can not stand toe to toe with Red Bull.

Ron Swedelson
12-31-2003, 02:08 PM
There are always a store here or a shop there that sells one peticular beverage better than the others. I have stores were BAWLS outsells coke 1L and 20oz. Now would I ever say something like my product will go toe to toe with Red Bull or Coke anywere? Not if I want to keep any credibility. You can not look at a company that sells about 1,000,000 cases in the U.S. monthly and say you could match them anywere. Not a smart move. Back to the topic.
The succesful energy drink companies are thoes that try to stand on their own. Rock Star, Monster, Hansens, AMP, I have never seen an official peice of POS that states anything about Red Bull. Everyone else that does that "No Bull" thing or tries to show how it is better than Red Bull just hasnt shown much promise because it immediatly makes them a copy cat. Me-too's are ok because that is going to happen all the time when something is successful. But a straight copy cat with an altered picture of a bull, or use of Red and/or Bull in their name with the silver and blue can is just crap.

cph
01-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Lets see your crappy bottle go head to head with Red Bull in Walmart. What? Wal Mart won't take you on? Certainly not with a name like that. (Doesn't Walmart sell censored rap CD's and stuff like that?)

Energydude
01-03-2004, 07:06 PM
SumPoosie is proudly made in the USA. Be American and buy American! Red Bull is not.
Need I say more? tongue.gif

toby1
01-14-2004, 12:11 AM
EnergyBOY,
PLEASE......give me a break you hypocrete!
I am sure the car you drive has "over-seas" parts on it....and not to mention the computer you are typing on....I am sure its ALL American made! How bout the caps on your bottles? or the lables? or the ink for the lables? how about all the ingredients in your "SO CALLED" energy drink?

I am sure that all of the above mentioned IS made in the USA! "NOT" .....get a grip....

Energydude
01-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Toby1 you are really clueless. My point is SumPoosie is made bottle, contents, labor, all in the USA. My point is buy American when you can what is wrong with that? More and more jobs are going overseas. I am not saying I don't have anything foriegn I am saying buy American when you can. SumPoosie is made and bottled right here in the USA. You don't like too bad. tongue.gif

Coco Rico
01-19-2004, 06:33 AM
The funniest and most blatant Red Bull copy-cat I've seen so far is Mad Croc Energy Drink which is sold exclusively at 7-11. It has the obligatory blue and silver trapezoids, with a red crocodile in the middle. To top it all off, they put their cans right next to, or sometimes in between rows of Red Bull to further confuse the customer. It is such an obvious case of trademark infringement that I don't expect them to be in business for very long.

CR

Energydude
01-19-2004, 10:28 AM
More crap in a little tiny can. It just doesn't make sense. Be a man drink your drink in a 12 oz. can anything smaller is just too lady like! ;)

spanker
01-19-2004, 11:44 AM
More crap in a little tiny can. It just doesn't make sense. Be a man drink your drink in a 12 oz. can anything smaller is just too lady like! ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Ron Swedelson
01-19-2004, 02:01 PM
I thought it was exclusive to 7-11 also. My father is a 7-11 owner and that is what he was told also. But one day while in the trade I saw an end cap at a box store called Winco, and they were selling it for $.89 a can.

Coco Rico
01-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Ron,

I heard a rumor that Red Bull was pursuing trademark infringement litigation against them. Which means if you saw it at Winco for .89 a can, they're probably trying to blow through their inventory before they get a cease and desist. They were supposed to be exclusive with 7-11, but you know how that is.

CR

Coco Rico
01-19-2004, 03:54 PM
I was just on the Sum Poosie website, and they announced the start of a Sum Poosie van team. What an innovative concept - selling an energy drink from a fleet of exclusive vans. How come no one else thought of that first?

More crap in a little tiny can. It just doesn't make sense. Be a man drink your drink in a 12 oz. can anything smaller is just too lady like! Coca Cola created an empire off of a product that sold for almost a century as a 6.5 oz serving. If that's considered lady-like, so be it. What's wrong with being lady-like anyway? I guess if a woman's not a stripper, Energydude has no use for them.

SumPoosie is proudly made in the USA. Be American and buy American! Red Bull is not. Need I say more? What a brilliant summary of the necessity of foreign trade upon the economy of this country. Let's kick out all the foreigners, all the foreign capital, close our borders, and watch our great country wither and die. Grow up. We live in a global community.

CR

Ron Swedelson
01-20-2004, 01:37 AM
I will say this about the van team. It is not original, but it does work. My true guess is that most distributors will not bring in the brand, so Sum Poosie has to get the brand going them selves, or try to get it in the house, keep it seperate from the rest of the inventory so if it bombs, the house can not claim any responsibility. Really, I don't see any other way for a company that small to start out.

Coco Rico
01-20-2004, 03:49 AM
I agree that the van team works - provided you have a product worth justifying the expense for. It definitely helped put Red Bull in the position they are in now. My point was that for such an "innovative" company, Sum Poosie seems to borrow heavily from the company it claims it is better than.

CR

Ron Swedelson
01-20-2004, 02:58 PM
very true.

Energydude
01-28-2004, 02:15 AM
Coco as usual you have no idea what you are talking about. We have some wrapped Vans delivering product ... so what? Do you think Red Bull invented delivering in Vans???? The fact that SumPoosie is manufactured right here in America my not be important to you but it is to me! I am a distributor, and RB should be ashamed of themselves for what they have done to their distributors. Selling RB at Wallmart and Costco for less than their own distributors sell it for. I just came back from Houston Texas several weeks ago and they are shipping in RB by the container and it wasn't in English. I am sure RB distributors across the country would like to know that there appears to be people buying it direct overseas and shipping into the USA. The facts are this SumPoosie is very loyal to their distributors and you won't see them selling their premium product in a Costco or Walmart ever! As a distributor those big boys make me sick. Say what you want but SumPoosie is creating American jobs because people like me distribute it around the country. RB selling to Costco in my mind greatly diminishes distributor spirit and underminds the product as a whole. Buy American when you can!!! Manufacturing jobs in America mean something! SumPoosie is proudly made in the USA! :D :D :D

Coco Rico
01-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Energydude,

You are ignorant. Business is business is business. Walmart equates to 2% of the US GDP. I hope you are smart enough to understand what that means. It was your choice to work for a company that could never be sold in the country's largest vendor. Say what you want, but Red Bull sold 1.4 billion cans (58,333,333 cases) in 2003. They have a nationally distributed product, employing thousands of Americans in various aspects of their business. Also they pumped about 80 million dollars into the US economy in the process of promoting their brand in 2003 alone. What has Sum Poosie done?

Aside from riding on the coat-tails of the industry leader, you are a parasite, hoping to make a quick buck off the hard work of another company. You have no credibility, your product is a joke, and you spend your time posting inane comments on BevNet because no one in the trade cares about what you have to say.

Enjoy your SuperBowl Party. The memories should keep you warm in the unemployment line.

CR

Energydude
01-28-2004, 09:21 AM
Yeah Coco I see how much RB loves America and their own distributors. I can go to Walmart and buy it cheaper there than I can from my own distributor. Sorry pal but I don't want any part of that at all. These distributors have busted there buts throughout the country trying to gain market share and now RB just ships in a few million cases direct to Walmart leaving the distributors flapping in the wind. Sorry, they have lost any credibility with me. When your energy drink is now at Costco and Walmart the allure is gone. Is RB going out of business... no way but what they have done to their product cheapens themselves and their distributors. Trust me I love it... I have added another 22 accounts just this week. Why buy RB from a distributor for 32 bucks when I can go to Walmart for 29.50???????? Once again I say keep manufacturing jobs in the USA !!! RB is made in Austria and now they are even bypassing distribution and selling to Walmart. Not good! :D

Coco Rico
01-28-2004, 10:37 AM
EnergyDude,

Actually, again you have no clue as to what you are talking about. Walmart, Sams, Costco, all buy from the Red Bull distributors in their respective areas. There is no direct shipping involved and no distributors are bypassed. How Walmart arrives at their pricing is their business. An account can buy from Walmart or a distributor, either way, the distributor sees the sales. I challenge you to prove any different.

Oh, and as to the allure of Red Bull disappearing because it is sold at the aforementioned locations, do your homework. Red Bull started in Austria 17 years ago, and currently Red Bull Austria out-sells the entire Coca Cola portfolio combined for that country. For a fad that has lost its allure, Red Bull seems to have some staying power...

CR

Energydude
01-28-2004, 12:22 PM
Not true Coco but you believe what you want!
As far as RB out selling Coke I think its wonderful Coke and Pepsi are not very good products anyway and it is time people started to realize sugar water is not healthy for children.
;)

Ron Swedelson
01-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I think the problem has been solved. But Red Bull UK was the ones selling Red Bull to Costco and other directly in Europe, then shipping them over. Red Bull North America did not like what was going on because it was effecting their bottom line. The US Distributors were pissed because it effected their bottome line. And even afterwards, if all fixed. The sales reps. don't always like the direct buying because even though the house makes their money, it cuts into the sales reps. commition if stores go and buy from the chains.

the saint
01-28-2004, 05:49 PM
both Pepsi and coke have been around well over 100 years, do you honestly think that your product will be energydud? I think it is funny in the year or so that youhave been here you posted how your drink will change the marketplace, then defended your comments and now you are diverting attention to 2 of the largest corporations in the world and how bad their product is. I think maybe that you are broke and not seeing any ROI. but hey you can look at the bright side think of all those strippers that you got to meet when before your distibutorship you would go into the stripclubs and they wouldnt give you the time of day.

Ron Swedelson
01-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Although Pepsi did go out of busines for a while.

Energydude
01-28-2004, 08:26 PM
:D You have me laughing Saint... I'll give you that.... you have me laughing! Pepsi and Coke are not going anywhere shortly but tell me of all of there great new products over the last 20 years............... :confused: Just like 20 years ago Kmart was the biggest retailer.... funny how times change... even now school systems are kicking Coke and Pepsi out because sugar water is just not healthy for children. I have a friend that has been working for Pepsi for 32 years and even he says they are worried about public perception. Parents are more educated than ever and weight is a big issue amongst children these days. Sugar water is just not going to cut it in the near future. By the way SumPoosie has been around a lot longer than Coke and Pepsi combined!!! ;)

toby1
01-29-2004, 12:12 AM
Parents are more educated than ever and weight is a big issue amongst children these days. Sugar water is just not going to cut it in the near future. By the way SumPoosie has been around a lot longer than Coke and Pepsi combined!!!

I cant believe you said sumpoosie has been around longer than the Big 2!!! thats funny....
and yet you contradict yourself and still didnt know you did....man your ignorant, what is your sugar content? and I am so sure that Moms are gonna let there kids drink your "pepto bismol"

Energydude
01-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Toby.... your not real bright are you. SumPoosie is sold where liquor is sold. Children are not our market and we do not market to children. Coke and Pepsi do market to children numbnuts!
My point is that "sugar water" aka Coke and Pepsi
from a health stand point are both clearly garbage. High Frutose Corn Syrup and water....gee that sounds great! Parents are more and more limiting the amount children consume. Year by year you will see sales begin to erode for sugar water. In case you didn't know children with diabetes has risen to dangerous levels. Lack of exercise, fast food, and sugar water are all contributing factors. :D

When I think about it you could really use SumPoosie! tongue.gif

Coco Rico
01-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Ron,

You are correct. Costco struck a deal with a Red Bull distributor in the UK and one in Spain, I believe, to ship Red Bull direct to their stores. This has since been resolved. However, gray market product is still an issue as stolen cases show up randomly in the larger cities.

CR

PS EnergyDude, I'm going to be in Cleveland shortly. Time to put your money where your mouth is. Give me the names of some of your on-premise accounts, and I will gladly give you props if I witness the success you claim. I'd love to see the power of your brand in action. :D

Energydude
01-29-2004, 12:56 AM
So Coco, I will ask you again... How distributor friendly is RB if they are direct shipping and by passing distributors and by the way...they still are!

Lastly, Coco when it gets above sinle digits and the snow melts a little... I will take you around myself. In the winter I am stay in Texas! By the way the biggest Liquor store chain in Texas proudly sells SumPoosie! :D

the saint
01-30-2004, 07:45 AM
you are right I am wrong now go away. I will not respond again to any of you idiotic posts. I will not read any topic with your name on it. good day sir.

stinkfinger
01-30-2004, 07:47 PM

In the winter I am stay in Texas! :D HUH? :confused:

Energydude
02-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Saint.... you have nothing to say and that is what I expected. Stinkfinger I have 3 homes and spend most of the winter in Texas and Florida. The reason....... it is warm genius.

stinkfinger
02-12-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't give a flying f**k how many houses you own. I am more interested in what "In the winter I am stay in Texas" means.

Energydude
02-12-2004, 12:24 PM
What it means is Stinkfinger is when it is cold or really chilly up North I find reasons to spend most of my time down south. I am sure when you have put your 30 years in the business you will do the same. :D

boodoo
02-12-2004, 03:15 PM
Hey Edude,
How about a listing of the retailers in Texas where your product is available. I haven't seen it around the DFW area (I don't frequent bars).

Shatter,
Have you seen it around?

drpep
02-12-2004, 08:44 PM
I think your grammar is being questioned.

Sobé
03-13-2005, 11:29 AM
i like red bull and all its copied forms...
they are cheaper, so i drink alot of them, then sometimes treat myself to some 'bull.

OOS
03-13-2005, 06:40 PM
setsetsetsetsetset

Kyle101
03-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Wow, all this anger, must be all that angry rap music. lol People we live in a Free Enterprise system. That means that we can come up w/any idea and run with it. I mean, why should RB be the only energy drink out there? But that goes for anything. That's why anybody w/around $1million can own a McD's. All you have to do is take a proven idea/product and use it, screw coming up w/the "next best thing", use what works and run with it.

Ron Swedelson
03-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Sobe Synergy looks kinda cool...is it the UK form of Adrenaline Rush, or a line extention?