PDA

View Full Version : Jones launches in cans direct to Target

bigbottom
07-26-2004, 09:12 AM
In yet another slap in the face to it's distributors after selling direct to Starbucks, Panera, Cost plus, Jones furthers its separation from the distribution network that was the work horse of the brand and now going directly to target in an exclusive 2 year deal to all target stores starting in spring of 2005.

They don't need no stinking distributors!

We are Jones soda!

ichiro
07-26-2004, 06:47 PM
What are you whining about bigbottom, they are running a business. Some of their biz is with distributors, some is not. They must choose their distributors carefully as after the distributor bankruptcys in 2000 it almost put them under. Jones is a great product and there is plenty of money to be made by distributors who choose to distribute their product. So put your hanky away...good grief...

Energydude
07-26-2004, 08:09 PM
That was my point on another thread. Sometimes it appears some product are better off when they get to a certain point just going direct. I think RB will do the same down the road. Sell to Target, Walmart, Krogers, and Costco direct and make the extra 5 or 6 bucks per case.

Sometimes it does make sense.

Ron Swedelson
07-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Well Edude, Target and Walmart do not sell RB cheaper because us (the reps.) sell to the stores.
Ichi, yes, Jones is trying to run their busines, but it will make it increasingly harder to open up the big distributors when they find out that they are unable to service much of their chain stores in their market. If they are only selling their big can, its not to bad, but hopefuly it is not the soda. Only reason I say that is I used to sell Jones Sodas to target. And yes it sold VERY WELL, but with all thoes flavors, it needs someone to merch. the product. Being direct, yes some employees will fill the shelf, but will not get near the care that a distributor would give. But good for Jones, its just unfortunate that they cant seem to get the grip on their distributors the way the need to. And yes, the 2000 did hurt them with loosing distributors, but Jones had a big hand in allowing them to get to big with just their product and did not pay close enough attention to it. Even though Jones should not be in their office every day looking over financials, they should be able to get a good idea with what is going on.
And Edude, from being a small distributor, I cant believe how sold you are on going direct. Leave that for OJ and Caprie Sun and water. Other than that, trust the distribution network, thats why we all are here.

Energydude
07-26-2004, 09:39 PM
Sometimes products like RB outgrow distributors.
RB really doesn't need them anymore.

Ron Swedelson
07-27-2004, 01:08 AM
uh, obviously you have not heard any of my points, so sure Edude, they will leave their distributors. For some reason coke or AB or, well any major company doesnt do this, but you are right. How could I be so wrong.

bigbottom
07-27-2004, 08:32 AM
For RB to go direct would be suicide! Why? Who will service all the bars the night clubs etc.. That cannot take it direct? The contracts that were written for RB are very tight and RB has spent a significant amount of money in infrastructure to deliver it so it is almost as if they were going direct in some ways all with the ability of having there one on one distributors service the business. Jones has now opened Pandora's box. Coke and Pepsi will begin to circle the wagons set them ablaze and Jones will eventually run out of bullets and surrender to Big Blue and Big Red. They have just taken themselves out of the premium game with one fell swoop of a pen. Congratulations Peter it is the end of the beginning.

Cheers

ichiro
07-27-2004, 12:37 PM
happen to disagree bb..but thats ok...many said jones would be out of biz 2 yrs ago..if pepsi or coke wants them,then they need to cut a bigass check. Thats what happens if you get a big enough piece of the pie. Ask Snapple, ask sobe,ask Gatorade. Jones is Rocking, wake up...

Willbev
07-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Jones rocked out of the southeast and nobody caried. Jones is a joke waiting to die.

Get real guys.

The big picture counts, Jones is not in it.

turdferguson
07-27-2004, 05:32 PM
ok there willbev......whatever you say....

ichiro
07-27-2004, 07:30 PM
ok wilbev...shows how out of the loop you are....go back to your nap.

Ron Swedelson
07-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Ichi, didn't Jones pull from the south east a while ago. I know the corporate stance was "concentrate on our core markets". But that really meant they were looseing money being out there. I stand by my thoughts, if Jones had done things differently and ran it more like a busines and less like a hoby, their stock would have been at that $3-$4 range a few years ago. I dont think all the sodas taste that great, but its got good apeal, a good following, and a good nitch. Just think they made a few to many bad decitions along the way.

Energydude
07-27-2004, 11:26 PM
I see sales are up since you left Ron. I am happy to see Jones doing well. Its great to see a little guy doing well.

Ron Swedelson
07-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Well, sales are not much higher at all since I left the company. Their expences have just gone down so their positive cash flow has grown. The few years after I left their sales went down. That had nothing to do with me being there or not, just being apart of a good team that helped the Southwest Market reach new hights it had never seen before, and for the first time ever, making it the #1 market for Jones. After our team was "let go", the region fell and has not fully recovered. I am less concerned with a little guy doing good than I am to see a good product doing good.

Energydude
07-28-2004, 02:39 AM
Believe me Ron I wasn't suggesting sales went up or down because of you. It's good to see Jones doing well. I am all for the little guy. :D

Willbev
07-28-2004, 10:15 AM
I may be out of the loop, but I at least live in the southeast.

If you can sell drinks in an area where you do not sell drinks please tell me and I get in the loop. Been in the biz for 30 years boys!

You burn bridges like Jones does and you have a hard time finding people to sell product.

The new Cott long necks will do well.

Now back to my nap.

bigbottom
07-28-2004, 10:41 AM
I wonder how this will all play with their biggest partner National Beverage Distributors in Michigan their biggest market? This to me opens up so much, such as Faygo, Shasta, even Cott has been rumored to be muscling up to protect what is typically a stack it tall and let it fly portion of the flavored soda business.

I know for a fact Jones is desperately trying to make some changes behind the scenes such as the enlistment of a NEW flavor house like Wild Flavors as of October 2003 to help their ailing flavor profiles which is a good thing for them.

My final point to this reply is this, Why has Jones not announced this on the bevnet? I will tell you they don't want everyone (Distributors) to know but at the same time want the investors to know.

Again playing both sides against the middle to leverage every relationship until its demise.

Enjoying the banter,

BIG

Ron Swedelson
07-31-2004, 01:33 PM
I reread their news release. They are going direct with 12 oz cans of Jones soda, not their caned energy drinks? That is terrible and shows they are only going after the $$. One of Jones best things was their immage. The black and white pictures that kept changing, and all on a good glass bottle. Now they are switching to cans, I think that is terrible.

RunWithDaLilGuy
08-03-2004, 01:26 AM
about cans: mom's will pack them in lunches.

about target: target's hip right now, this goes with target's plan of courting the non white trash people that don't want to shop at walmart, which is white trash.

in michigan: faygo distributes jones only in the metro detroit area. there aren't that many targets in metro detroit per capita than all the other stores. jones went to meijers and did a special deal with them but went through the local distributors. they pick and choose who to go with. target's been good to jones, but i have a feeling they wanted the directness instead of a merchandised version. this won't hurt faygo too much, as i'm sure it's just ten more SKUS they could live without. it's not like they don't have 80 things to worry about already.

bigbottom
08-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Hey little guy I was just at the Kehe food show about a week ago and Jones is now going to take the Meijer business through them instead of the distribution network that helped Jones make it such a success. How else can you sell 2 4-packs for $5.00? Ron I have a distinct feeling that Jones has the money to do some cool things with the cans in the way of black and white and potentially may be the first to use the clear can? The point is can they legitimately continue to call them selves the little guy making 20-30 million a year? If you continue to compare yourself to Coke and Pepsi DAH! They are bigger than Clearly Canadian and there stock price has eclipsed Krispy Kreme on there worst day. Target may be hip and sheik as you say little guy but they to can be masters of their own self indulgence thinking that if it was cool in bottles it will be better in cans $ obviously no one at target drinks beer out of a can either? Jones is now at the point of affecting what musicians would call street creed selling out to the main stream and the almighty dollar over principal of which Jones had minimal and now "O". Just like Steve Miller sang-Go on and take the money and run!

Ron Swedelson
08-03-2004, 09:27 PM
if they used a clear can, that may help a little. But they are big on the immage. I liked when they were in 20oz. plastic, but swore they would never go to anything but glass because of the immage. Now they are going to cans. I dont know, I just think of Shasta. Make it cheap, sell it direct, and try to move volume. But yeah, they do loose street cred with this in my mind. Also, there are a lot of Targets out here in CA, I just dont see all their distributors being happy with being left out of the sales, especially since they are already in the store. Jones just gets it all backwards. They go through distro. channels to sell a case or 2 to zumies and other mall stores, and go direct to the big, traditional stores. Next time, switch it. But it obvious Jones is just looking for the $$, which there is nothing wrong with that, but dont act like you are the little guy anymore.

KingBev
11-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Oh FatAss- sorry, I mean Big Bottom - Are u STILL here? You should be in the gym working on cottage cheese ass or that chip on your shoulder- both neeed work. For your information, distributors are selling the 12 oz bottles into Target. If I remember correctly, U were claiming Jones would be finished years ago- but their stock in at $4 a share- odd...
Ron- I kinda like you. U can admit when Jones does well even though u are kinda anti Jones. I admire that- Help out our fat friend in Chicago.

Ron Swedelson
11-03-2004, 12:58 AM
I try to be honest in my opinon. Im not a Jones fan, but if they do something good or have some sales, you cant really ignore that.

MISTICman
12-20-2004, 02:00 AM
ok guys...
first of all, jones makes an awesome strawberry lime. second...i wonder if mistic should go by way of jones, selling directly to stores. maybe their sales will increase. they taste way better than cra*ple. i still don't see why that junk called snapple is so popular, way watered down.

Robot
12-23-2004, 01:48 AM
will jones be doing any other sugar-free flavors in cans?

i'd like their sugar free cream soda but never see it.

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-23-2004, 09:43 AM
i enjoy drinking it out of a can. it's half the price and a hell of a lot easier in the car. don't mind me, i love the glass, but sometimes cans are just easier.

Ron Swedelson
12-24-2004, 12:22 AM
I agree on the easier issue...although Jones bottles do twist back closed. I just hate that Jones took a stance before on not bringing back 20 oz plastic because they were so stuck on their image and did not want to go away from that. Then they turn around and go direct with what looks like a knock off version of their drink. Its moving off the shelves, but I still dont like it.