PDA

View Full Version : RB Sales Rep.......Slave labor!

Energydude
12-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Base Pay:

Route Sales persons will be paid a weekly salary of $300.00

Commissions:

Commission shall be paid as follows:

3% on the first 200 hundred cases sold in a week.
4% on the second 200 hundred cases sold in a week.
5% on all cases sold over 400 hundred cases in a week.

Example one

52 weeks @ $300.00 = $15,600.00

500 cases a week break down

200 cases @ .96 = $192.00
200 cases @ 1.28 = $256.00
100 cases @ 1.60 = $160.00

Total $608.00

52 weeks @ $608.00 = $31,616.00

Potential annual salary $47,216.00

Wow! you mean to tell me people are selling 2000 cases a week and only making 47k ???????

That is 64k in sales a month or about 750k a year!!! They should be making 75k at the bare bones!!! What a shame.....

pdxbevman
12-13-2004, 04:12 PM
E dude, where did you get this information?

Energydude
12-13-2004, 04:39 PM
I have a friend that works for RB in their marketing Dept. I could not believe how little the sales people make for selling so much product. So he showed me the breakdown.

Ron Swedelson
12-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Edude, I am sure each place pays different. I do make 47K out here in CA, which is higher than just about any non-manager beverage route job. Although, you numbers are not at all how we are paid. Hey, I would love to be paid more for this job. But anyone who has ran a beverage house knows the over head that is involved. RB is not a cheap product, and most houses sell around 15-20K a month. If all accounts were COD, that would not be a problem, but about 60% of your accounts are not COD, and the top stores are usually chains. You have to have a huge pocket of cash to cover all your RB bills, pay for maitnence of all your vans and your huge wearhosue to hold it all. RB is very profitable, and that is why we are paid highly for our job. But look at Coke and Bud, they sell way more product than us, and they make less.
With all that said, I know the owner of my company is not hurting for money, and I would not turn down a pay raise. But from knowing how a beverage house can just suck the money out from you at a much higher rate than it comes in, I understand the structure.

Energydude
12-13-2004, 08:33 PM
You got one thing right Ron... RB is not cheap infact it is the most expensive energy drink I have ever seen.

stinkfinger
12-13-2004, 09:41 PM
Why Ron?? :confused: :confused: Why do you encourage him??? Why :confused:

Coco Rico
12-15-2004, 07:14 PM
So by route salesman, we're talking about the guys who drive around the Red Bull vans, sell in Red Bull and merchandise it. And they can make a potential of around $47,000 a year. In states like Ohio I think they have about 30-40 plus vans reps each averaging that amount? I don't think that's bad for a route sales job selling only one brand. You could do considerably worse.

CR

Coco Rico
12-15-2004, 07:28 PM
E-Dude,

Another question: how would someone in Red Bull's "marketing dept" know what a distributor pays its employees?

And what distributor are you referencing? As I understand it, Red bull has over 150 different distributors in the US alone each with a different operation style and pay scale.

CR

[ 12-15-2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Coco Rico ]

Energydude
12-16-2004, 01:23 AM
These guys are selling nearly a million dollars a year of product and you think 47k before taxes is good??? You have got to be kidding.

Selling 2,000 cases a month and making 47k is a crime in my book, like I said it amounts to slave labor.

Robot
12-16-2004, 02:06 AM
you arent selling ****, you are mostly dropping it off since red bull sells itself.

being a energy drink dropper offer for 47K is good money.

Energydude
12-16-2004, 08:51 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about those guys work their ***** off and are vital to RB. They do sell and they are responsible for growing their route. My point is simple getting paid 47k for selling 750k is a rip off. You have to work hard to sell all of that salty, bitter, yellow stuff.

Robot
12-16-2004, 11:49 AM
ugh, i know lots of people who make MORE money for their companies and get paid around that... i know people who are vital to large functions (ie: they are the only ones with specific knowledge regarding specific new computer technology) in large companies, who are worth more than millions to the company, who get paid 100K..

a red bull guy has the easiest sell in the world, it would take NO SKILL what so ever to push red bull on someone, if they dont want it already, than they wont want it ever. i am not saying they dont work their ass off, guys in a factory work there ass off and dont make 47K... i work my ass off and dont make 47K...

and you dont have to work hard to sell red bull, i love the stuff and buy it all the time, and alot of others do too.

If I was makign 50K dropping off the next batch of red bull to my route, i'd be perfectly happy and I am sure they are too.

Energydude
12-16-2004, 12:31 PM
With that attitude it is no wonder as to why you don't make 47k a year!

It takes NO SKILL ???? Have you ever tasted the stuff???

Robot
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
its no wonder everyone here hates you..

i'll quote my posting immediately before you questioned me as to whether i have "ever tasted the stuff???"

heres the quote:
"and you dont have to work hard to sell red bull, i love the stuff and buy it all the time, and alot of others do too."

now maybe you should read more properly..

Energydude
12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
I will say it again for you.... "Don't have to work hard?????"

Have you tasted the stuff??? Believe me it is hard work to convince people to drink that stuff.

Ron Swedelson
12-16-2004, 09:47 PM
whoah...
a red bull guy has the easiest sell in the world, it would take NO SKILL what so ever to push red bull on someone, if they dont want it already, than they wont want it ever...

trust me, maybe the part of getting 95% of the accounts to take Red Bull in might not be all that hard, but implementing all of Red Bulls (Corp.) programs are not the easiest thing in the world. There is a reason out here, the Red Bull sales rep. makes more than any of the other beverage route guys. Edude is right, we do sell a lot of product...but why is the Bud Rep. only making 35-39K? They drop a lot more product than we do and have a lot higher invoices than us.
Its all about overhead and controlling costs and keeping with the market. I would have no problem with making 75K, and with the new house I just bought this weekend, I need to be making that. But if I owned the local RB house, I dont think I would be giving out more than 50K a year.

Robot
12-17-2004, 12:09 AM
you can be a red bull distributor without a college education..

i know guys that graduated from ivy league schools, ending their first year of work making less than that red bull distributor..

so i think approaching 50K to push red bull, which is the easiest sell of ANY beverage, on people, is great.

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-17-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by Energydude:
You got one thing right Ron... RB is not cheap infact it is the most expensive energy drink I have ever seen. 2.99 for a twelve ounce bottle is the highest sticker price in michigan for an energy drink. nobody goes above sumpoosie's price for highest cost for a dustcovered product. nobody.

Robot
12-17-2004, 01:26 AM
speaking of sumpoosie, the one store i knew of in chicago that was carrying it dropped it.. they did eventually sell through their first amount but didnt re-order.. they now carry something called "bliss".. which is actually really good in its low carb format..

Energydude
12-17-2004, 03:03 AM
You mean to tell me retailer's have set the price of SumPoosie higher than RB..... well they must see the value then....hmmmm....!!!

pdxbevman
12-17-2004, 10:59 AM
no, just trying to get the same margin.

Energydude
12-17-2004, 12:21 PM
My margins are much higher and so is the retailers!!!

pdxbevman
12-17-2004, 03:51 PM
The name of the game is CASH FLOW. Margins don't mean a thing unless you have the turns.

Robot
12-17-2004, 05:40 PM
i am stilling laughing that you equate 47K to slave labor..

the average person in america makes something like 30-35K, yet 47K for dropping off the easiest sell in beverages is slave labor..

goodness... you are crack me up edude.

Ron Swedelson
12-17-2004, 08:39 PM
So Red Bull is expensive, yet SP at a higher price is a value. Humm...funny how he sees things.

Energydude
12-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I don't know of any energy drink that is more expensive than RB it is 32 bucks a case and in some places even more. At 32 bucks a case that is 16 cents per ounce if you can tell me of a more expensive energy drink let me know. I sell SumPoosie for 36 bucks a case or 12.5 cents per ounce.

The fact that retailers see the value and sell SumPoosie for 2.29 to 2.99 says alot.

Robot
12-19-2004, 04:33 PM
32 dollars a case? thats weird, i, a consumer, just walked into sam's club and bought a case for $31..

hahaha oh man.

Energydude
12-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Jim are you a child???

RB is the most expensive energy drink get over it!

pdxbevman
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
I saw amp @ $34 and rockstar @$36 for 1 case with decreasing price for multiple cases.

Energydude
12-20-2004, 12:56 AM
LOL !!! Yeah and I once found a pink lion, saw the lochness monster and found someone who liked the taste of RB.

Ron Swedelson
12-21-2004, 01:34 AM
RB is $33.99 a case at Smart and Final...Rock Star is $36 as are the other energy drinks. Amp is $31 a case while Adrenaline is $33. (that is from dist. to store). Edude, RB has set the price and stuck to it, they are the premium brand. I have seen Jones Energy and Pimp Juice and XTZ drinks at $35 a case, but just like RS and Monster and other drinks, they put up a high front line and then say "Well, buy X and get Y free" RB just doesnt really do that. You should at least repect that.

Energydude
12-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Ummmm.... Ron, Rockstar I have seen at 36 bucks also Ron but that is a 16oz. can RB is only 8 and therefore much more expensive per ounce.

RB is the most expensive energy drink on the market, distributors pay more for RB than any other energy drink.

Interesting.

Coco Rico
12-21-2004, 02:16 PM
E-Dude,

You hit it on the head. Red Bull is expensive (as are all premium brands), and yet they are also the most popular and best-selling brand. I think that's incredible. They have never had to sacrifice their price point to accomodate the general market. They made the marketplace change it's buying patterns and accept a $1.99 pricing.

And with the 8oz size, logic would dictate that a distributor would make twice as much selling Red Bull (though expensive) as Rockstar since Rockstar is two servings for relatively the same price as one Red Bull. In fact, one would question the validity of selling any 16oz energy drink for the same price as Red bull since you are basically leaving money on the table.

E-Dude, thanks for reinforcing the point that Red Bull is the most profitable energy drink on the market by combining a premium price point (read: expensive) with incredible sales velocity.

CR

Energydude
12-21-2004, 04:04 PM
I stand corrected Coco on another post Ron informed me that RB is discounting all over the place far below the customary 1.99 per can. I guess they need to start discounting.... hmmmmmm!

If Ron is right they must be discounting due to pricing pressures with products like Rip It around. I bought 4 more cans today....only 4 bucks!!!

Coco Rico
12-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Actually, Red Bull is not discounting. Some wholesalers choose to apply monetary marketing support provided by Red Bull to occassionally lower the price of a Red Bull case below the $32 invoice cost. That's their choice - to pass on the savings to the consumer. However at the store level, everyone pays $32 a case regardless of size or channel type - and I challenge you to find an invoice that says otherwise.

You act as if in Red Bull's 17 year history this is the first time generic, bargain priced competitors have come out. Red Bull has never changed their pricing strategy to accomodate competition - why should they? In 17 years no competitor has ever significantly challenged Red Bull's share based on a price differential.

CR

[ 12-21-2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Coco Rico ]

Robot
12-21-2004, 06:33 PM
that really weird.. as sam's club by me has cases of red bull for $31.34.. i am looking at the receipt right now.. $31.34, and i got a case of monster low-carb for $28.XX i believe..

so i can buy a case of red bull for cheaper than a store can? thats pretty hilarious.

wish sam's club carried sugar-free red bull though..

where can i as a consumer go to buy cases of amp/sobe/etc in cases for $30-35??

Energydude
12-21-2004, 09:18 PM
That may be true however, Rip It is very simular to Red Bull in B vitamin content and taurine content and contains less salt. There is even better news........

Rip it is half the price for twice as much !!!

By the way it may say 32 on the invoice but when they sell 10 and give away 5 that is not really selling at 32 now is it.

Ron Swedelson
12-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Some people like to buy a Ford Focus even when they can afford a BMW. Hey both will get you from A to B, its just one looks better in most peoples eyes, one has a better track record, and one will do the job faster and smother and longer...but hey, the BMW is not for everyone, somepeople like to save money and get something that will still pretty much do the job.
For the box stores, at least my distributor will give a $2 case discount if a pallet is bought. This does not go for up and down the street stores, just thoes that will display the pallet and reflect the price savings. A costco will sell RB at their price or slightly cheaper because they know it will bring customers in because RB is the best selling energy drink and in HIGH DEMAND. If they sell Snickers at a discount, it may be the best selling candy bar, but it will not attract the store owners. RB at a discount will bring them in huge groups, and they will leave with many other profitable items.
Edude, yes, most energy drinks are cheaper per oz. than RB, and if that is your only concern, then yes, RB is not for you. But when you rant and rave about drinks that need be higher quality and that companies should spend a little more to make a better drink and that customers would pay a little more for a better drink, then you get RB, dont be upset. If you dont like it, dont drink it. I dont like original RB, so I dont drink it.

Robot
12-21-2004, 10:07 PM
not sure why people talk about price per oz..

when i buy an energy drink, which i often do, an 8oz serving = 16 oz tome, as i often dont finish the 16..

its *1* drink to me...

i doubt anyone rations off their 16 oz drink into 2 drinks or something.

Energydude
12-21-2004, 11:34 PM
WHAT !!!! people talk about price per ounce and pound because that is how we buy things... in your world UPS would only charge one price regardless of the size of package. Silly huh!!!

The point is you get twice as much product to enjoy for a QUARTER of the price!

A QUARTER of the price!!!!

Why not enjoy twice as much product for a quarter of the price??? Why not!!!

Robot
12-22-2004, 12:44 AM
no, its not a general thing for everything...

its my personal usage of energy drinks...

and with drinks in general, there is odd pricing... notice how 2L sodas are cheaper than a 20oz beverage? more comes into play than raw ounces.

my personal experience is that ill choose on taste, availability, price and just what i am feeling like.. if i buy an 8oz drink, i dont buy two.. i just buy one.. if i buy a 16 oz, i probably drink 10-14 oz, maybe all 16.. but i dont save half for later.. they are both "1 energy drink unit" in my book.

and again, what i am saying doesnt apply to UPS.. which is another story, UPS sucks total ass.

Energydude
12-22-2004, 10:38 AM
Well let's compare!

Rip It RB

.99 per can 1.99 per can
B6 B12 tons B6 B12 tons
of Taurine of Taurine
Nice taste Bitter taste
16 ounces to enjoy 8 ounces to somehow
swallow.

Twice as much for a quarter of the price. Any way you slice it Rip It wins. No Carbs No Sugar and low on salt.

Guys it's a good product!

Robot
12-22-2004, 02:01 PM
okay i am giving rip it a try.. found the 0 calorie version last night, it was 99 cents.. ill let you know what i think.

Robot
12-22-2004, 03:20 PM
rip it low carb is pretty good, not amazing, but good... i have that case of monster low carb, but i may buy a case of this stuff too.. it would be cheaper even at MSRP, 24 would be 24 bucks..

Energydude
12-22-2004, 04:29 PM
See what I mean Jimmy.... damn good stuff and only .99 cents and can and 16ozs. !!!!

Robot
12-22-2004, 04:32 PM
i prefer red bull to it but cant find sugar free red bull cases..

certainly worthy of a case pickup of it, just that i can only find the sugar free at one somewhat far away liquor store, but ill get it next time i am there a case, if they have it.

Ron Swedelson
12-22-2004, 08:33 PM
2L of soda is 99 cents
20 oz of soda is 1.20
3L of Shasta is 99 cents
12 oz can of soda is 75 cents
12 oz can of soda at WalMart 35 cents
24/12 oz sodas is 8.99
24/12 oz sodas of store brand is 3.99

Gee...all same products, but the price per oz. does not match up....hey maybe things are based on marketing and the market price point...

How much does Think Pink in a can cost?

Robot
12-22-2004, 11:13 PM
^^^ thanks for putting what i was trying to say into better words...

Energydude
12-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Fact is Ron RB only comes in a tiny little 8oz. can. Fact is it cost 2 bucks!!!

Fact is Rip It comes in a 16oz can. Fact is the product only cost .99 cents!!!

Fact is we are talking about energy drinks here Ron not Soda! STICK TO ENERGY DRINKS!

Ron Swedelson
12-24-2004, 12:20 AM
WHAT !!!! people talk about price per ounce and pound because that is how we buy things... in your world UPS would only charge one price regardless of the size of package. Silly huh!!!
(copied from edudes post)

So if I make a comparison, I have gone off topic and in the wrong, but if Edude goes off topic, its ok.

Nor. Cal Albertsons sells Rip It for $1.99 per can. Only sells original. 260 cal. almost 300 mgs. of sodium, 200 % of Vitamin b6 and b12 (not a lot), no cans have sold yet after almost a month.

Fact is, at 8.3 oz can, only Coke 20 oz. outsells RB in the single serve catagory. Fact is, you may enjoy Rip It, but it is not going to take over the energy drink catagory. It will go the way of direct to chains, and through mass grocery distributors (McLanes, CoreMark, etc.). I dont have a problem with you thinking its a good beverage. I have a problem with you trying to compare a brand like that to a proven leader like RB. Even if you compared it to RockStar or Monster you would still be way off track. Flavor wise, you like what you like, you cant be wrong in your opinion on that. Trying to say, well RB is way overpriced, it sucks, nobody likes it, and Rip It is the next best thing, right after SP. I just dont know how you can say that with a straight face. Show me some Neilson numbers, make me shut up. When I am bringing in stacks of RB weekly into my store and Rip It still has not moved 1 can, how am I supposed to take you seriously.

How much does 1 can of Think Pink retail for?

Energydude
12-26-2004, 01:06 AM
My point is this ... I commend them for making Rip It and making it so good.

We all know RB sells alot but McDonalds sells the most cheeseburgers....is it the best cheeseburger???????

Do you really believe RB is the best period and there is no room for improvement??? Is that nasty bitter taste necessary? And does it have to have all that salt???

Rip It did all the vitamins and Taurine for 6 cents an ounce and RB cost 25 cents!!!!

Four times as much...... its just no longer necessary.

Energydude
12-26-2004, 01:09 AM
The main point of this thread is to point out the RB sales guy sells nearly a million bucks worth of product and makes 47k.... slave labor!

Ron Swedelson
12-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Then to stay on your point, I would not pay the RB sales reps. much more than about 50K, and that is here in CA. I dont see people complaining that Bill Gates makes billions, and only pays hsi entry level data clerks 40K a year. Even the Bud reps. who sell much more Bud than RB make only about 35-42K a year. Its the beverage industry. And for non-managment, beverage sales, there are not many others that pay as much. Definatly the highest here in the Bay Area. Would I take a pay raise, heck yeah. Do I feel as though they made me change my name from Ron to Toby and whip me if I say something different...no. With all the overhead and vehicale matinence and payroll and the funneling of money to pay for product, I just dont see how you could pay the reps 75K and still be all that profitable. There is a lot that goes into the overhead, and I may work in one of the top 4 RB markets, but what about thoes who are in much smaller areas that sell only a few thousand cases a month.
Which would you rather have, better paid RB sales reps., or money for them to make the product better for you?

Goldmember
12-26-2004, 09:22 PM
There is much more factored into the cost of the employee than his salary. One must also consider:

1) Truck payments
2) Gas/Tolls/Cost of van vandalism
3) Truck insurance
4) General Liability insurance ($5,000,000 minimum coverage before Ron even gets to step inside a Target store)
5) Cost of Rons health insurance (going up typically 25% every year)
6) Cost of Rons unemployment insurance (in case he slips and falls inside Albertsons and cant perform his duties)
7) Cost of a supervisor to make sure Ron isnt chasing skirts all day instead of selling RB
8) Warehouse (rent)
9) Warehouse utilities (heat,phone,sewage,dumpsters,cell phones pagers etc)
10) Cost of an admin to handle all invoices and accounting software
11) Loss of unpaid bills to accounts that go **** up
12) Delayed payment from chains and "charge" accounts
13) Cost of redemption in those states that have deposit laws
14) Employee theft
15) Cost of deals and free cases going out the door
16) And probably the biggest cost hurdle- Money the distributor lost 3-5 years ago when vans were only averaging 30 or less cases sold per day (instead of the 60-100cs they average now). If the distributor lost hundreds of thousands in the first few years, than they need to get that back at some point.

There is probably 10 more things that arent mentioned that should have been that drive the cost of these sales people through the roof. Bottom line is 47k to cruise around and sell bull all day sounds like a pretty good gig to me...

Energydude
12-27-2004, 01:04 AM
Still.... a guy sells almost a million in product and only gets 47k .... that sucks!

Those guys are selling and delivering and only get 47k..... slave labor.

Ron Swedelson
12-27-2004, 08:27 PM
It pays most of my bills, Im happy.

Energydude
12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Good for you Ron.

Fruity Pebbles
12-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Wow. Just saw this thread and thought I should interject and let everyone know that once again Edude is the overflowing fountain of misinformation.

On principle I would never let people know what I make, but to prove Edude wrong again, hey, why not!

Accounts: 379 On-Premise accounts
Base Salary: $40,000
Commission: $2.00 a case sold
Avarege sales per month: about 2700 (but have made as low 2200 if non season)
Benes: Cell - paid for, Gas - Paid for, Per diem - $300/mo, Expense account - $450/mo, stock options and 401K
Other perks: free concerts, vip seating and front of line priveledges at nearly every account, free tix to Disney, Universal and Orlando Magic games, company car (Audi), complimentary rides on the Red Bull 1 (helecopter AND 747) as well as weekend excursions on Red Bull 2 (Zulu class nuclear sub - shaped like a Red Bull can), Red Bull satin sheets and pillows every quarter.

So, you see, Edude is, like, WAY off. This job is the shiznit, yo!

Robot
12-31-2004, 03:42 PM
red bull has a nuclear sub? how is that possible?

Ron Swedelson
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
Thats corp. benifits though huh? Or do you work for a distributor.

Red Sox fan
12-31-2004, 05:46 PM
and what exaclty are you doing to your sheets that Red Bull needs to send you new ones EVERY QUARTER??

Fruity Pebbles
01-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Exactly! More perks! See, when you are a Red Bull Rep, you practically need to beat the chicks off with a stick! A few get through, though (heh, heh) so the sheets are quite a lucid offering from Red Bull.

And no, legal would not allow us to carry actual nukes on the sub. We did get approval by the United States military but, you know, there's the whole PR game, so it's just nuclear powered now (I still don't know what is so bad about a 3000 mega-ton rocket painted like a Red Bull can. Whatever.)

So you see, Red Bull reps are not only filthy rich, but also get ALL the chicks. Edude, you really need to come on get on the Red Bull program. I can hook you up. We be big pimpin'!

mildogg
01-02-2005, 09:17 PM
you cant take profit margin to the bank edude, get over it. Retailers are also realizing that by pricing redbull at 1.99 and monster and rockstar at 2.69, they move ten percent less volume but their dollar profit increases like 84%. Ac neilson research done in walgreens and albertsons and jewel. Jewel is two for five everyday on 16 ounce energy drinks. if you have smart retailers, they know premium. Red bull is dishing out corporate money to install check lane coolers in every jewel osco. Just face the facts that redbull is not slowing down and sumpossie is a joke for a beverage.

pdxbevman
01-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Fruity, you seem kinda fruity with that last post, like maybe you drank too much RB. Might be that altered taurine?

Energydude
01-03-2005, 11:00 AM
LOL !!!

These RB guys are so brainwashed it is hilarious....

Ron Swedelson
01-03-2005, 12:36 PM
what is the brainwashed part? Chances are I have sold more energy drinks than you have, so help me find were I am brainwashed and you have become the clear thinker.

Energydude
01-03-2005, 03:34 PM
RB people can only see as far as their little 8 ounce can. Nothing else is worthy and RB is the greatest thing in the world. People once thought that about Cabbage Patch dolls!!!

Like I have said many times... when you break it down the product is pretty bad. Bad color, bad taste, just plain bad.

Christian Prickett
01-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Ok, first off, I can smell nothing but crap from the story from Fruity Pebbles. There is no way Red Bull has a nuclear sub. Do you know the price tag for the cost of a reactor let alone for each uranium rod it takes to power the sub. If you would have said desel/electric I might believe you. This is a ludacris story and Red Bull doesn't drive the ladies crazy. It may pay the bills and be the most popular energy drink but there is NO WAY that the ponochio Fruity Pebbles has access to the Red Bull nuclear submarine because there isn't one.

But check this out, I work for a packaging company and we have access to the company space shuttle. We can take as many imaginary friends that we want to take to the imaginary zoo. How about them apples?

Christian Prickett
01-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Also a Zulu submarine was designed by Russia and none are no longer in use. I got my information from the following site, http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.htm?1947vec_foxtrothistory.htm&1 so check it out if you want. I am concluding that since that the Zulu sub story is a lie then the other stories of Audis, helecoptors, and airplanes are all lies as well. I can see a van, nothing more there ponochio. But please, this site is for beverages, not lies.

P.S. I do like red bull, I hate liars.

Robot
01-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Christian,i agree about the sub thing.. i dont see it being possible for red bull to own a nuclear powered sub... maybe the guy is juts kidding and being sarcastic?

i wonder how i could go about being a red bull guy? anyone want to hire someone to do work for their beverage company in chicago?

mildogg
01-03-2005, 07:50 PM
well the redbull distributor in chicago is in elmhurst on industrial, give them an application. and there is no nuclear sub, are you guys serious.

Ron Swedelson
01-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I dont know any Red Bull guy that hasnt given props to RockStar and Monster for helping to grow and revelutionize the Energy Drink Market. So I think that keeps our eyes a little past an 8oz can, considering that the #2 & #3 drinks are 16 oz.
Broken down, I enjoy the taste, it has proven to work, it has been created for a specific perpous. What broken down there is not good about the product? You dont like it, that doesnt make the product good or bad, that just makes you not a fan.

Robot
01-03-2005, 09:22 PM
mildogg, wow, thats crazy.. I live almost next door to them.. I'll have to go stop by. What types of jobs would a red bull distributor hire for?

stinkfinger
01-03-2005, 09:49 PM
RB people can only see as far as their little 8 ounce can. Nothing else is worthy and RB is the greatest thing in the world. People once thought that about Cabbage Patch dolls!!!
Substitute Sumpoosie or Rip It for Red Bull.

Energydude
01-04-2005, 02:08 AM
I do every day !!!

Why drink bitter nasty yellow stuff out of a tiny tin can.....why?

EnergyKing
01-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Fruity your sad man. Beat the chicks off with a stick? Are you stuck on yourself, and twisted from that Mule piss you drink?

Fruity Pebbles
01-05-2005, 12:28 AM
Okay, I hate to admit this because it looked as though we were almost about to get some lofty, exciting research into Zulu Class Submarines (something I know absolutely nothing about…but sounded pretty cool in "Hunt For Red October").

Jimmy O, thanks for seeing through the obvious ruse. I'm happy the fictitious pimpin lifestyle of a Red Bull Rep got some attention, though. I was simply trying to parallel the immense, steaming pile of pink poop that get shoveled on to the board by Edude. I think I came close. And it doesn't surprise me it was given credence as some of Edude's posts, perhaps, are.

This thread is an absolute joke built on the unnecessary mudslinging of a frightened and threatened child whose entire repertoire seems to be continually sheetbagging Red Bull.

Here's a good idea...let’s all wait until the next thread gets started by a Red Bull competitor dissing Red Bull based on information that cannot possibly be verified or through "anonymous" sources :eek: !!!

Or, OR, we can hear from an actual Red Bull Rep who has known hundreds of others who happen to really enjoy their job and instead of griping about how much they SHOULD make, instead eagerly look forward to the next even BETTER paying position that commonly comes around (fairly typical for GROWING companies).

I don't push my company's product on the site. I also give props to competition (I even did that for Sum Poosie when I started but, you know, I just can't bring myself to ever do that again). Hmm, Edude, how about a single, solitary word from you about just one thing good about Red Bull. Just one. C'mon. There must be at least ONE positive thing you can say about a 15 year-old billion-dollar company’s sales.

Robot
01-05-2005, 01:40 AM
fruity, you work for red bull? mind PM'ing me some info about it (or wherever you work)?

i figured it had to be a joke but generally speaking no-one muhc jokes on these boards so was hard to tell..

Energydude
01-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Sorry Fruity I have nothing good to say about RB it is simply a very poor product. The taste, the color, yuck !!! I am sorry RB is just a bitter nasty yellow product.

RB sells alot but like I have said so does McDonalds cheeseburgers and we all know how they suck. I would like to say something nice about RB but it is not possible because it is really a piss poor product.

Fruity Pebbles
01-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Wait a minute! Did you concede to the fact that "Red Bull Sells a lot"?!?! Let me re-read....YES! You did! I read it in your last post: "...Red Bull sells a lot"! Way to go, Edude. I did not think you had it in you.

What I did know you were capable of was contradicting yourself once again. If Red Bull "sells a lot", (and for YOU to admit this then Red Bull must actually sell MORE than a lot)then there must a be "a lot" of people actually buying it, despite "exaggerated" cost.

So this leads to no other conclusion but that it is a fairly good product that "a lot" of people actually enjoy. And then we must conclude that all the blabbering derision you have for the product must be your sole opinion and not fact. You are definitely not in good company with your poor feelings for Red Bull.

Energydude
01-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Fruity I realize you are new to this board so let me clue you in.... I have always said RB sells alot of nasty yellow stuff in a little sissy tin can. I have said that for a very long time you just have not been here to hear it!

I have also said that Toyota Camry sells more cars than any make of BMW. I guess in your world that proves a Camry is better than a BMW.......interesting world you live in....

mildogg
01-05-2005, 06:52 PM
please go away.

pdxbevman
01-05-2005, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE] Atomic X Energy Drink is now available at over 1,000 locations in Southern California, including participating 7-11's, ARCOs, Mobils, Chevrons, 76s, and independent convenience stores, liquor stores and markets

DEMAND it at gas stations, liquor stores and bars.
If they don't have it, scream "WE HATE YOU!" and spit on them!

The Fascist Evil Tyrannical Pig-Dogs are trying to keep Atomic-X off the shelves because they know it's the best product on the entire face of the planet! [QUOTE]

Great Marketing plan. Must be after RB.

mildogg
01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
scared to death. see me next year and show me some neilsons.

Fruity Pebbles
01-05-2005, 11:27 PM
One need not be new here to conceive just how transparent you are. You are a typical salesperson -- "my product is great and the competition sucks, blah, blah". How old.

Oh, and for the record, the Camry IS a better car considering you can buy two for maybe one Beemer, it is more fuel efficient, more comfortable, more reliable, has cheaper maintenance, but merely lacks in the show-off dept. So I guess we see what world YOU live in.

Energydude
01-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Enjoy your Camry Fruity, I'll stick with my BMW's!!!

Anyone that thinks a Camry is better than a BMW.....well that explains drinking RB!

Fruity Pebbles
01-06-2005, 09:47 AM
Good comback.

pdxbevman
01-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Let's see...SP is a BMW. RB is a Camry. Rip It must be a Yugo?

Ron Swedelson
01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Why buy a BMW when it costs you 4 times as much as a Camery? Sound like the same Rip It Argument...oh...so Edude does like quality, even if it costs a little more. So RB is the premium priced energy drink. Sells the most, and is more popular that all the other energy drinks combined. Thanks for that argument Edude.
And by the way, your great Rip It, that I can only find in original and @ $1.99 uses HFCS.

Energydude
01-06-2005, 06:03 PM
I drink the sugar free Rip It !!!

The point is Ron just because it sells the most does not mean its the best. The tiny little can with the nasty yellow stuff inside is a joke!

RB is yesterday's news.... on to bigger and better!!!

mildogg
01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
show me whats energy drink is going to be tommorrows news. IT IS NOT SUMPOOSIE, RIP IT, OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU PEDDLE.

Ron Swedelson
01-06-2005, 09:02 PM
good thing we found out yesterday that our distributor (2 counties) sold 100,000 cases more than the previous year...that is a good sign that sales are starting to go flat.

My Point is that you keep comparing RB to items that sell, but have nothing to do with quality. RB is a quality drink. Does that mean they are the only drink to drink? No. Does that mean that another drink can't taste better? No, taste is of the persons opinion. Does it mean that other drinks will sell more? Well, anything is possible, I just dont see anything out there that will, do you? Also, your rants just seem to contradict themselves...you had that longest posts about how you couldnt believe that energy drinks were in 16 oz. cans, and that 2 servings is way to much for people. Now your new favorite drink is Rip It, in 16 oz. can. You had the longest rants about how "not to be a can opener" and that any drink in a can was not something worth buying or picking up, yet your new favorite drink is in a can. I could care less that you like Rip It, I do care that you waste space yelling at everyone about 1 thing, then jumping back over the fence to yell about another. You are right though, bigger and bettter things....bigger = Red Bull 2005 sales...better means the way that RB will keep its stronghold on the market.

Energydude
01-07-2005, 01:47 AM
See if that distributor is up 100k in 2005... its not going to happen. Sales in 2005 for RB will level out this year you will not see the huge growth they have seen in the past. The reason is simple ... people are over it. I know more people that have stopped drinking the salty piss yellow stuff then have started.

And yes bartenders are tired of squeezing little cans into Vodka.... it just gets old!!! I used to think 16 ounces was too much but I can finish most of the time... I can tell you this much... 8 ounces is only enough if you wear a little dress and skip to school.

boodoo
01-07-2005, 08:21 AM
See E-Dude...bigger is better!

You started with 8oz then to 12oz and now on to 16oz. Who knows where you will end up. Maybe thopse 17 year old girls know something after all!

Energydude
01-07-2005, 09:06 AM
Like I said an 8oz. can is for good if you wear a dress and skip to school ! 12oz. I can always finish and 16 I can finish about half the time. But buying a 24oz. energy drink is just in my opinion dumb! I have tried Bookoo and the taste is really bad and will not be going back for the 22ozs. I threw away!

mildogg
01-07-2005, 07:24 PM
i guess that makes me a home if i carry around a pink bottle.

Ron Swedelson
01-07-2005, 09:30 PM
wow, so Edude never buys a 20 oz soda...never drinks a 1.5L of water, and even though he constantly said before when complaining about BAWLS price, that he goes to 7-11 and buys a big gulp (32 oz.) of Mt. Dew.
So even though December was our best month in the last quarter you are probably right that sales will level off.
Can you help me to stop being a little school girl drinking an 8 oz can and be a big, burly man like you with a pink drink.

Beverage Slinger
01-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Today, when I was in a convienence store I checked the energy drink door,most are 16 oz. and a couple of 8 oz.the fastest movers were Rockstar 16 oz. reg. sliders empty and Kronik reg. 16 oz.was almost empty,there was movment on all the 16 oz. energy drinks all $1.99, redbull had good movement 8 oz. reg. and lite at $2.09 plus a mass merch. rack close to the register, I have always strived on being nuetral on a product,wheather it was something new our co. took on or one another beverage co. did ,but my priority is to keep it on the shelves,displays, correct pricing, make sure no one tries to cut into its space, and protect it,my opinion on energy drinks is there are many brands and many more will show up, but the natural evolution will kull out the slowest and dead,like in soft drinks or beer,due to the aggresive nature of the business.

Energydude
01-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Ron, what does soda have to do with an energy drink?

I do not want to drink a 24 ounce energy drink. Just as I do not drink more than 12 ounces of milk at a time like most people.

Do you buy and drink a 32 ounce big gulp of Milk???

I hate to break it to you but soda, energy drinks, milk, are all different.

Energydude
01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
I was at a club last night...

[ 01-08-2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: BevNET ]

BevNET
01-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Energydude: Your joke was already deleted once. That doesn't mean it's OK to post again. Please take the hint and quit it.

[ 01-08-2005, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: BevNET ]

Ron Swedelson
01-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Energy drinks are still beverages. You say 8 oz is too little, yet 16 is too much, untill recently. Now 12 oz is perfect, but 16 oz is ok. If someone is thirsty and wants to drink 24 oz of a liquid, then what is wrong with that. Mt. Dew, Coke, Red Bull, even SP are all liquid beverges. When broken down, an energy drink has shown to be in about perfect perportions when in the 8oz size. It gives you just what you need from an energy drink, and nothing extra of what you dont. Drinks like SP and Rip It and many other larger size drinks have one thing in common. They have altered their flavors to try and make them more palatable and more of a soda. Why? So people will drink more of the liquid and hope they fell refreshed, and probably buy more. SP, Rip It, DefCom3, and many others all have very similar amounts of Caffiene, Taurine, and B vitamins as a 8oz can has. Why the extra 4 oz. of liquid? To make your drinks more like a soda than an "energy drink". There is nothing wrong with that at all, but dont think it makes your drink perfect, it just makes it different. I have asked you before, and you have not answered. If you were at a bar or store, and someone wanted to buy 2 bottles of SP (12 oz * 2 bottles = 24 oz), and after that person drank one, he opened up the second one to drink, would you stop him? No you woulndt. You would not care if someone wanted 2 bottles of SP or 4 bottles one after another, you would be happy with your sales. You would also hope that the person would be a constant repeat customer. So when it comes down to it, you are in favor of SP, reguardles of how many oz. someone drinks of it. You are in favor of Rip It because you like its flavor. And all other drinks that you can not understand why they sell as many in 1 day, as you do for the whole year, are you "enemy" and can not find a single thing good about them.
Now on to your energy drinks and soda and milk are not alike. They are all beverages, and while they all have their own "specific perpous", they are all bought by people for their own reasons. I dont drink a Red Bull each day at work becuase I need energy, I drink it because it is refreshing to me. I get a 32 oz soda at the movies because it is refreshing. I have had more than one 12 oz beer because it is refreshing.
Now, have you ever had more than 16 oz of liquid in one sitting? Ever had a couple pints of beer in a bar? Ever order a large soda? Or have you limited your self all your life to just 12 oz. of liquid, untill a few weeks ago when you expanded to 16 oz.?

Energydude
01-08-2005, 08:21 PM
There is nothing refreshing about 8ounces of anything except chilled Vodka with 3 olives. For you to say RB is refreshing in any way, shape, fashion, or form makes me wonder what you are thinking. The only people I know that even drink the stuff anymore are under 18.

The reason for the extra liquid is to keep the taste acceptable. We all know vitamins taste like hell..... maybe you on to something Ron.....maybe RB wouldn't look and taste so bad if you added a gallon of liquid.

RB in an 136 ounce can......... Boodoo would love it!

mildogg
01-08-2005, 08:52 PM
spam should be illegal, just like listening to edumb

Fruity Pebbles
01-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Edude, I would like to invite you for a ride on the Red Bull Zulu class nuclear submarine to see if it will change your mind about our product. You can play on the con and even look through the periscope.

We sell an image and a concept just like SP does. Man, are you ever naive to think that the actual ingredients are the main draw to a product. You must be very new to this industry and, perhaps, to the concept of marketing overall. If SP is such a great product, take the nudies off the bottle. What is it now?...pink soda pop. You think t*tty bars are going to sell any pink soda without the "collectable" hookers to look at.

As a RB sales rep, our concept is in such demand that there is rarely any selling involved. Slave labor? This thread is as silly as your intentions. Everything you get involved with on the board reverts back everyone attempting to reveal your obtuse, opinionated and blasphemous outlook.

Energydude
01-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Fruity I have sat here over the years and looked at a thread called "who else hates jones soda" well I dislike RB and think anyone who has anything to do with it is a small minded weak little patsy that peddles a nasty bitter yellow substance that makes most people gag!!!

The image you sell is the ability for the average slob to drink more because they are feeling the buzz from the caffeine. The fact is many people cannot even drink the slug unless they drown it with vodka. Your product is really something to be proud of .... it is foreign made, looks and taste like hell, and comes in a tiny tin can with a hole so small bartenders have to crush the can to hurry and get the slug out for the next victim!!!

SP has drawings of beautiful women on it who show up at functions, including CHARITY functions to raise money for sick children and battered women.

If you don't like beautiful women and a great tasting drink in a cold GLASS bottle then I suggest you keep being the good little robot you are and pushing your yellow slug.

Just my opinion....I could be wrong! :D

mildogg
01-09-2005, 06:29 PM
YEP, WRONG YOU ARE

drpep
01-09-2005, 09:46 PM
There is nothing refreshing about 8ounces of anything except chilled Vodka with 3 olives. For WOW :eek: :eek: Everytime I drank a chilled 8oz glass bottle of Dr Pepper on a warm summer afternoon I thought it was refreshing :confused: :confused: . I saved those bottles for such occasions. Thanks for setting me straight.

Energydude
01-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Try the chilled Vodka one time... :cool:

Fruity Pebbles
01-11-2005, 10:15 PM
"SP has drawings of beautiful women on it who show up at functions, including CHARITY functions to raise money for sick children and battered women."

Too funny, Edude. Like THESE are the women you bring around to bars. Look, I'll give SP credit for having decent flavor (although, because of you, it truly pains me to do so) but I have heard from some accounts in coastal Florida that these chicks are, in their own words, "skanks" and nothing remotely like the fictitious bombshells touted on the bottles. And this was a hard-core biker bar! Nice try.

So, what I feel is most likely happening here is a rep eventually showed up with some girls that were half-decent looking, just nothing remotely close to the fantasy that is being promoted. At least the people I have spoken with were slightly dissapointed. But they still sell it there.

And you will most definitely have to send us a link as to the wonderful, charitable events these ladies help promote and volunteer for. I find it hard to beleive that a product with that name would dare address a battered women's forum in any capacity.

Calling you out, Edude.

lildaddy
01-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Not that I agree with Edude or anything, but in the Detroit Market RB reps only pull in about 25-28K. I know this because a couple of my peers thought about making the jump from a large beverage company and the pay was not worth it. I think they should be paid more, but hey that works for me because when and If I enter the market that just makes it easier for me to recruit them..

Fruity Pebbles
01-22-2005, 01:11 AM
I don't know how the pay structure works except for that there is none that is standard for RB. It all depends on the distributor. Red Bull reps, for the most part, are the employee of the dist, not Red Bull. Typically, as you get higher up, you get hired by RB and basically work the same territory on a larger level. So, most reps are not really RB, but its a lot easier to just say that you are because the name is much more appealing.

I have said that most people I know love their job here...thats the folks at the dist. As for the actual RB employees, I can honestly say that I don't know a single one that does not like their job. They get some lofty perks. Like myself, it is most everyone's goal to be moved up some time into corporate.

Damon
01-24-2005, 01:27 AM
I think the point my boss was trying to make is that some of these Red Bull salespeople sell a million dollars worth of product and make very little for how much they sell.

boodoo
01-24-2005, 03:38 PM
Damon,

Welcome to the board! Let's hear your thoughts and opinions. You don't have to defend E-Dude.

Ron Swedelson
01-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Damon, doesnt a Budwieser rep. sell millions of dollars worth or product each year, and he makes much less than a RB rep. RB may be more profitable per case, but the amount of cases Bud will drop more than takes care of that difference.

lildaddy
01-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Fruity,

I understand what you are saying, but those guys I was referring to a driving around in the RB vans wearing RB gear. That is just in the Detroit market I am referring to.

EnergyKing
01-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Grantham Distributing Company

Fruity Pebbles
01-24-2005, 10:36 PM
True Eking. And Lildaddy, the folks you are refrerring to are not in sales at all. They are what is called the mobile energy team -- a marketing arm of Red Bull. These are the guys and gals that travel around to sample and educate the public on the product.

Its funny, I am frequently asked where my RAV 4 Red Bull truck is parked and where's the free samples. HEY, THATS NOT ME!!! :rolleyes:

EnergyKing
01-25-2005, 12:27 AM
"mobile energy team " lol! Go Fast! Baby Go Fast!

http://www.gofastsports.com/?bevnet

[ 01-25-2005, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: EnergyKing ]

Ron Swedelson
01-25-2005, 08:12 PM
whats the funny part? Does Go Fast have something called a MET? RB's had it since 97...

The funny part about the MET's, is when people come up and ask for a free sample, then say "What is this stuff." Why you asking for something that you dont know what it is.

Fruity Pebbles
01-25-2005, 08:17 PM
What? They are mobile, they are a team, and they provide energy. Something must be working since most everyone has seen them around and immediately know that this RAV 4 means free Red Bull. It kinda has a Pavlov's dog effect!

Actually, I have pulled a 180 (no relation to the Bud sku) with how Red Bull operates its marketing. Almost everyone at one time that works around me has said that this branch needs to be a bit less campy and more aggressive.

Eventually, such things as the mobile energy team, those weird commercials, silly cow with a snail body with wings logo and refusal to change appears to be more genius than folly. I still sometimes have my doubts, but the numbers always seem to pull me into a different perspective.

Ron Swedelson
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
I feel the same way as you Fruity. I have sold over 30 different SKU's of energy drinks. Just about every time, you always felt you had something on RB, and that RB was too all over the place, and that they were destine to fall. But numbers done lie, and once you have worked for them, or with them, you realize their is a method to their madness. Im still not sold on their comercials or some of their programs, but it works.

EnergyKing
01-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Ill have an MET on my Van, not a problem. That would be myself.

lildaddy
01-26-2005, 04:26 PM
No Fruity,

I know who your talking about, usually college girls and guys who just hand out stuff. These are employees for RB who have a certain geographic area they are responsible for and are paid comminssion on there sales.

Ron Swedelson
01-26-2005, 05:24 PM
The college guys and girls who hand out product are employees of Corp. RB., but they do not get commission, and they are not allowed to just hand stuff out either. Although I am sure many of them do...they are supposed to educate the customer on what RB is and what it does for you, then give them a sample.

EnergyKing
01-26-2005, 08:19 PM
"Hey! You look tired", said the college girl. She then gave me a Red Bull. I said, "What will it do?" She said "drink it and thats it". I said "hmmmm". See they dont educate and thats happened twice to me now.

Ron Swedelson
01-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Next time take one and ask them "Why didnt you educate me on the brand. At my distributorship, we have had 2 MET girls ride with us to see what it is like on the trade. The girl I had, besides being cute, actually helped me in all accounts and sampled out and educated everyone she gave samples to. She then wrote down everything, like he job askes her to. My friend had a girl ride with him, then after stop 3 of 30 she asked him "do you mind if I just sit here for a little bit?" Then she just sat in the van and read her book for the rest of the day. So even though they have a job to do, like everyone, they do it the way they feel best.

Fruity Pebbles
01-26-2005, 11:45 PM
This was just not a disciplined person -- happens in every job, but is the exception to the rule.

No, they do not get commission and do not sell. And definitely not the hottie promo nymphs typical of the liquor and beer industry (much to the dissapointment of a few of the event operators I have sent the MET's to).

Yes, these are very average looking specimens if you ask me, but overall, do their job quite well based on the college and workplace responses I have heard.

I am so on par with you Ron about how there always seems to be a method to the madness in RBs marketing. But my latest hesitation is to the new commercial where the guy imagines his monther-in-law being murdered in several gruesome manners and then we she shows up he gives her a can and she flys away. Whats this got to do with energy? Same commercial, same cartoon, different direction alltogether.

Damon
01-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I have found in my experience that Red Bull is below average in many things except sales and that I believe is because they came with the most money and the most focus.

Red Bull has done a good job at making the public identify energy with Red Bull just as they do coffee.

As far as the product itself and the commercials, well I could do without both. The new commercial is in very bad taste and inappropriate to say the least.

Christian Prickett
01-27-2005, 02:37 PM
For the first time in 5 years I actually saw Red Bull college kids giving out cans this lunch where I work. They didn't say much but I can't figure out how come Red Bull, which is #1 for energy drinks, still goes out samples? I don't think they need to do this now that nearly everyone know of Red Bull. Maybe just put the girls out again, they were nice eye candy.

If you start as a Red Bull Van man, what can you be promoted too next?

Ron Swedelson
01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
I have not seen the new comercial...it does not sound good though.

Christian, I felt the same way untill I got involved with RB. That is part of its awsomeness. Here in the East Bay, we sell around 35K cases per month. With RB's numbers worked out, about 40% of the population here does not know what RB is. That is huge. I cant tell you how many people every day ask me what RB is, what it tastes like, what it does. Granted, it is usually the people over 35 years of age. But even my dad, he ownes a few 7-11 stores, been selling energy drinks since 97...and has never tried one.

Promote from RB Van Sales Rep, to Manager who overseas the van sales reps, and make pretty good money. From there Distributor management or jump over to Corp.

Fruity Pebbles
01-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Also, you can be promoted from van sales to On-Premise Sales which deal with bars, restaurants, nightclubs, hotels, theme parks, office buildings -- anywhere you drink the can "ON the premises". This is a specialized branch that focuses on marketing, sales, maintenance and promotions in these facilities. In some areas, this even becomes more defined into only theme parks or major resorts where applicable. Vending may also become a new focus in major areas.

It really is kind of exciting that there are so many areas you can transcend into.

All these areas, at least out this way, report to a manager, who has a regional manager, who has a national accounts manager, etc and so on (and I haven't even gotten into the marketing fields yet). So there is good growth opps from what I can see.

Christian Prickett
01-31-2005, 10:10 AM
So I was on an energy drink taste test this weekend. I never knew that there were so many rip offs of Red Bull out there. I tried Big Crock; it was a cheaper version of Red Bull. Also I have Y-ice, another version of Red Bull for 99 cents. I was wondering how does Red Bull compete against these other knock offs? It's like their formula is stolen and repackaged in a different can. How does Red Bull allow for these others to exist or is it Red Bull's idea that eventually the others will be recognized as imitators and Red Bull as the original and people will pay more for the original?

Ron Swedelson
01-31-2005, 06:13 PM
RB is the premium energy drink. But how many colas are there that taste like or pretty close to coke. Tons, but none can touch cokes sales, and will always be viewed as a knock off. Same with RB...the basic energy drink recipie is not that hard for someone to come up with. But getting the exact taste with the exact minerals and vitamins, that is hard to do. But trust me, RB does not worry about these brands that much because they come and go. But I am sure if anyone ever used the exact recipie, there would be a lawsuit right behind it.

imawalkingcorpse
02-01-2005, 12:21 AM
Man.. I go away for 2 months and EDude is still stirring up the Red Bull pot...

Damon
02-01-2005, 12:40 PM
I think it is the brand that works Ron. I don't think anyone wants to copy the look or taste of Red Bull if they want to succeed. Red Bull seized market share quickly and now it is up to the rest of us to take it away. I see it happening slowly, they have a bit of a head start.
My accounts now understand giving the customer choice is important.

Coco Rico
02-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Damon,

Share is subjective. If I'm Red Bull do I want an 80% share of a 100 million dollar category, or a 50% share of a 1 billion dollar category. Though Red Bull's share may drop with the influx of competition and the growth of the category, their sales growth has not - and at the end of the day - that's what you take to the bank.

Although, I find it odd that you are so optimistic about taking Red Bull's share. The brand you represent isn't even a player on the smallest level.

CR

Damon
02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
lol !

The brand I represent does very well and growth is over 200% but you are correct it is not even a fly on Red Bull's butt!

I think my comment was that I slowly see Red Bull's market share dropping. Considering it is very high to begin with, I think they can afford a few points here and there. However, I think people now realize variety is a good thing and Red Bull is certainly not the end all be all.

Like my boss has often said, "If variety wasn't important, Pamela Anderson would be the centerfold every month!"

Ron Swedelson
02-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Damon, I believe in Variety, I think you didnt read my post or the one I was responding to though. Christian asked why so many drinks try to be just like RB with their taste. Thats what I responded to. The smarter companies will not go directly after RB's taste, but maybe a hint of that "energy drink flavor". That is what people are used to. Make it to sweet and people wont be able to drink an 8 oz or 16 oz can. Make it to bitter, and it seems like a RB rip off. Outside of RS, I dont know who the next real player will be. But yes, RB wont retain their current market share, but their sales will keep growing.

mildogg
02-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Rockstar is number 2 out west, in the midwest rockstar does nothing. Its distributed by 7 up. Monster is a strong number 2.

Ron Swedelson
02-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Really? Who sells Monster out there?

EnergyKing
02-01-2005, 10:36 PM
I personally dont think Red Bull is a good tasting product. But it does work and it has opened the market for all others as well. So kudos to Red Bull on that part. I personally would love to put Red Bull into the #2 slot though. No offense Ron.

Coco Rico
02-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Damon,

I agree that variety is the spice of life. I'm so glad that finally there are energy drink brands that are spending money to grow the category - instead of all these worthless "me-too" brands that try to piggy back off Red Bull's success. Coke would not be the brand that it is and the soda category would not be as encompassing as it is without a Pepsi to create a competitive environment to further grow the category.

I think Red Bull would openly welcome a strong #2 brand - it would mean that they wouldn't be the only ones carrying the category on their shoulders. Again, who cares about a few share points, as long as they continue to see the explosive growth that has been their hallmark.

CR

Beverage Slinger
02-02-2005, 03:47 AM
Coco, I agree with that, without a competative boot in the behind 1 can grow stagnant its not about what Ive done,but what Ive done lately,and 1 AHHSH#T cancels all your attaboys,many of my competitors are also my good friends,and I demand their very best to kick my a$$,or I cant perform to my best,from two dogs in the trenches to two corps. it creates new ideas and pushing the limits its a win win.

mildogg
02-02-2005, 06:25 PM
ron, the monster distribution system in chicago goes through about four or five different beer distributors, mostly the old style network.

Ron Swedelson
02-02-2005, 10:25 PM
no offence energyking...its good that people want to boot RB from #1. I just hate when people say "This is the best energy drink ever and will crush RB", and it has not even hit the market yet. Competition and choice are healthy for the market...I welcome them with open arms. And untill my paycheck changes for the worse, I am happy with them all.

EnergyKing
02-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Thats not what I said Ron.

EnergyKing
02-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree completely with Damon and Coco there needs to be competition for growth.

Ron Swedelson
02-03-2005, 01:21 AM
I personally would love to put Red Bull into the #2 slot though. No offense Ron.

Thats what I was responding to...

Damon
03-12-2005, 01:57 AM
My take on Red Bull is a lot different than my boss's. Most people would have no idea what an energy drink really is had it not been for Red Bull. I think every company that sticks caffeine and vitamins in a can or bottle should thank Red Bull for clearing the way for others to follow behind them. I think the future of energy drinks is in private labeling. Red Bull has built a strong brand but I believe growth in the industry will come from those who desire to have their own branding on their own energy drink. Every time Red Bull runs a TV ad I give thanks, it just makes my job even easier.

Ron Swedelson
03-12-2005, 01:14 PM
I agree...but what are you suggesting, that each market, or distributor has its own line or energy drinks? Not debating, just wondering exactly what you are saying about private labeling.

Damon
03-12-2005, 06:27 PM
A very large club in town had been going through 500 cases of energy drinks every month. I suggested that he private label his own with his club name and brand on it. He loved the idea and now he sells 750 cases a month of HIS OWN brand!

Promoting his own brand makes sense because you can only get his brand at his club and store. He is very happy!

Ron Swedelson
03-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Private labels for big clubs or events does makes sence. But what formula are they using? What is the min. puch. amount they have to get. If its not a big popular venue, I dont know that is makes sence.

boodoo
03-17-2005, 12:02 PM
In my ever so humble opinion private label water and energy drinks will continue to grow as retailers seek to increase profits.

Ron Swedelson
03-17-2005, 08:46 PM
I just have to wonder how big or small of an order can people get for their waters and energy drinks. I have seen PL water, but energy drinks are much more expensive.

NRGChick
03-18-2005, 09:20 AM
Just thought I'd kinda jump in here.. I love energy drinks. Don't care for RB, but as some of you have said it did pave the way for some of the energy drinks that I do like. I have a high tollerance for caffeine so it doesn't do that much for me on that aspect, but I do like the flavors, and the quality of other vitamins, and such that go into these drinks.

Fruity Pebbles
03-19-2005, 02:45 PM
Personalized E drinks -- when I first heard of this my first reaction was why the hell I never came up with the idea! And then I thought, yeah, that was my exact reaction when I personalized a wine label for my restruarnat some time ago. Just like then, and with wine, this will lose its appeal when everybody has it and knows its pretty much the same thing. Just like a personalized Microbrew for your bar. Funny how this concept's success actually hurts its proliferation.

I truly think this one has yet to see its peak, but it will rapidly and then go poof! Oh, well. At least somone will retire out of it, God bless 'em.

EnergyKing
03-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I beg to differ Fruity. Private Labels can be very successful if you do it right. Their is a Restraunt/Pub chain here in Oregon called McMennamins that Brews their own beer makes their own wine and Distills its own Spirits, and does a ton of business with its lines. You can even get it to go.

So if you have an awesome private label with great taste and lots of power and support behind it, your bound to be successful, and thats what they have done. Very unique operation might I add.

www.mcmenamins.com (http://www.mcmenamins.com)

Fruity Pebbles
03-23-2005, 07:42 AM
You are correct. I apologize as I was actually referring to a same-ingredient product sold to facilities for them to brand as their own. These places have a label designed for them (which just seems cool at first) and makes it look like this is their own product.

I've used this with wine and beer in the past and now I see it in energy drinks. These places have nothing to do with the products manufacturing. Some co makes a wad of dough basically creating a few simple libations, supplying a base package and has decent computer graphic skills.

By all means, the decline of secular wineries and breweries are a sin deserving of the hottest parts of hell for those responsible in my opinion. Well, that and the producers for American Idol.

Goldmember
03-26-2005, 10:02 AM
Interesting to see how a thread that starts out as a knock on the RB van program can turn into a discussion on topics such as the future of "private label" energy drinks and the effectiveness of METs.

One thing that I appreciate about Red Bull is that it is a Haleys Comet type of brand. Brands that have impacted the beverage world the way RB has do not become available to distributors that often (in a historic sense). Im willing to bet that no-one on this board can name one independent non-alc brand that has been introduced in the last 50 years that has had even a fraction of the success that RB has had. Don't even try to suggest Clearly Canadian, Snapple, or Arizona.

$32.00 wholesale cost, a compact 14lb case, tons of free sales & marketing support, documented sales better than 20 oz coke, pepsi, & mt dew in some markets(in dollars not necessarilly units). Bottom line is that we can all live till were 100 years old and never see something like RB get introduced again. Shame on any distributor that did not grab this brand when and if they had an opportunity to.

Has there ever been a product that has been knocked offed and copy catted the way RB has in the history of bottled/canned beverages? My apologies to those in the industry who missed out on being affiliated with RBs success and are stuck trying to market "knock-off ghetto energy drinks". Good look pushing your private label **** to clubs and have fun giving away and discounting your 16 oz energy can "du jour" to the neighborhood 711.

Damon
03-27-2005, 04:42 AM
Red Bull has done an very good job of bringing energy drinks to the forefront. However, as good as Red Bull has been it is not the end all be all. There is plenty of room for others and some are having great success.

By the way I am sure Coca Cola feels very copied !

Goldmember
03-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Thank you for proving my point by comparing RB to Coke!

Fruity Pebbles
03-29-2005, 12:23 AM
SNAP!

Damon
03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
I wasn't comparing Coke to Red Bull there is no comparison to be made.

Fruity Pebbles
03-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Understood. But what I read 3 posts ago made me also want to say "Well, what about Coke, dude?" -- and now I see the point he was making. I thought it was well illustrated.