PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever notice?????

Mr Zabe
06-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Did you ever notice?

1. Some soda pop tastes much better with food.

2. Some soda pop (12oz can/20oz bottle) can produce more than one loud burp.

3. Just what are "natural flavors"?

What have you noticed? LOL

Fruity Pebbles
06-05-2005, 01:54 AM
I have noticed McDonalds Coke consistently tastes the best than any other fast food Coke I drink. I used to think it might have been the fatter straws. I think it is just smoother.

Mr Zabe
06-05-2005, 08:40 AM
That's interesting.
I feel the same way about the Cokes at Wendy's.
They always taste perfect and the ice is always cystal clear. LOL It reminds me of the Cokes I used to get at the Chicago Cubs game as a kid. smile.gif

Zabe

ROX Girl
07-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Sometimes it's the water going through the systems. Also, it could be the quality of they systems themselves. BIB is produced equally. It has to be outside influences that make them taste differently. Kind of like draft beer. What do you all think?

BottleBoss
07-24-2005, 12:21 PM
The soda fountain machines can have the water content and carbonation level turned up to reduce the amount of syrup used- that effects flavor. The local water type can also effect flavor.

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-25-2005, 10:04 AM
I can almost promise you that McDonalds(and maybe others) uses more syrup in their Coke fountains.

SEV

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-27-2005, 03:36 PM
i think they use less. i feel it's more watered down than anywhere else, but it gives it a smoother feel which i find refreshing, in a different way. i've never had a very full flavored mcdonalds beverage, and i've been to a ton of mcdonalds.

Mr Zabe
07-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Gee, here in Chicago Land where each McDonald's has my picture and biography as one of their best customers; I can't remember ever having a watered down soft drink. In my experience McDonald's next to Wendy's is the gold standard for fast food soda drinks.

I'll even go to McDonald's just for a large Coke easy ice and not get any food. Like it has been said, their soft drinks are so satisfying.

[ 07-27-2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-28-2005, 09:59 AM
Run: yes it's smoother, because it has less carbonated water, so there's less fizz. You don't agree that it's sweeter?

But I agree in that it taste better, anyway.

SEV

Hacksaw
08-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Like BottleBoss said, I think it is because they can change the amount of carbonation, as well as the ratio of carbonated water to syrup.

I understand sodas used to be more carbonated, but concerns about bottles shattering (very unsafe) forced a reduction of the amount of carbonation. Not that would be a problem with fast food in open containers.

xslipknotx
10-18-2005, 01:28 AM
the answer is that each McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. get the same BIB as anyone else BUT as part of their franchise setup package, they also get abouta 10K water filtration system that Joe Blow's Pizza Shop can't afford. When you drink Coke at McD's you taste the local water that is filtered when it combines with the syrup giving a much more pure taste. When you drink at Joe Blow's Pizza you taste the local water, usually unfiltered, bad water=bad soda. Also, local restaurants don't have the same strict standards as national chains, thus allowing anybody who owns a screwdriver to be able to adjust the brix ratio (usually 5 parts water to 1 part syrup) to something higher, watering down the soda BUT increasing the owners profit margin. Greed and bad water= crappy soda, dem's da facts.

Mr Zabe
10-18-2005, 01:32 AM
WOW....Thanks a bunch!!!!!
I have wondered for years about this.

the saint
10-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Joe Blow's Pizza Rocks! :D

ramonazo
10-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Question!...

When I went to U.S. and in some places I ordered a Coke from a Coke fountain, tasted a little bit like if were made with water of a swimming pool...

Why does Coke and any fountain soda in some places taste like this?

[ 10-20-2005, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
10-20-2005, 01:27 PM
MrR
Some restaurants are not careful with the maintenance of their soda pop fountains. You have most likely tasted diluted cleaner from an improperly cleaned nozzle.

[ 10-20-2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

the saint
10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Yes, exactly what he said. Most of the people who clean the nozzles with their bleach/ other and water just dump them in a bowl overnight. In the morning another derelict comes in and sticks their hand into the bleach/ other and water solution and shoves the nozzles onto the machine without as much as shaking the excess solution off of them much less rinsing.

ramonazo
10-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Oh, that's why tasted like that!, thanks guys!

the saint
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Back to the original post "natural flavors" are the flavors of water and corn syrup. LOL. Maybe a drop or two of one or more of the following, Cola nut, strawberry, orange, grape, apple. It is probably put on the label to keep from getting sued for making people fat. They can say "look judge it has natural flavors, it isn't bad for you"

David J.
09-04-2006, 01:48 PM
I went to a Ruby Tuesday that just opened in my town... The coke was perfect.

At the BK I work at... the coke is awful and we never mantain our fountain. We get a "Coke Shop" and we almost always do bad on it... no wonder. All of the crew members get bitched at for something that isn't their fault.

fizzflogger
09-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
MrR
Some restaurants are not careful with the maintenance of their soda pop fountains. You have most likely tasted diluted cleaner from an improperly cleaned nozzle. This could be true, but I would think the more likely cause to be the water it's made with. If you visit an area that chlorinates their water supply, and where you live they don't (or use less)it will taste like a 'swimming pool' to you. It probably tastes just fine to the locals. I live in the mountains where they use minimal water treatment and whenever I go to visit my family on the prairies I avoid any fountain soda because it tastes like chlorine to me. The same goes for their tap water, but they don't notice it at all.

rackitup
09-05-2006, 12:17 AM
The main Movie theatre chain in OR. switches every few years between pepsi and Coke.

It is Coke now and I can not tell what category there "Cola" is.

It tastes like a mixture of everything, but it is dark in color like a Cola.

I resent having 2 pay the overpriced theatre price 4 something that tastes nothing like Cola.

And BTW I have NEVER had Sierra Mist on fountain ANYWHWERE that tastes like it does out of the bottle/can.

[ 09-05-2006, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: rackitup ]

Ron Swedelson
09-05-2006, 10:53 AM
I remember from way back in the day working at 7-11 I used to take the heads off all the fountain machines and clean them out, because they would get all gunky and gross. And once a month or so we would have to check the syrup to carbonated water levels and adjust the machines accordingly. But that water difference does sound like it would make a difference. Besides that, all I could see is if the CO2 level and water levels are off. That is usually what I notice when I get a flat soda or something like that.

David J.
10-01-2006, 11:59 PM
I found that a nice cold Pepsi is more refreshing that a Mountain Dew after a hard shift. Yup... I got a new job.

The grocery store I work at is all Pepsi, in the fountains, vending machines (cept the coke one outside). Of course we sell coke, but for the eatery, and the employees... it's all Pepsi.

Mr Zabe
10-02-2006, 12:12 AM
YUM!!!!!
Ice cold Pepsi right after a long shift rocks.
Nothing like nursing a cold can for the commute home. smile.gif

[ 10-02-2006, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsidew
10-03-2006, 08:53 PM
i like some soda out of a can better then a bottle and the other way around

[ 10-03-2006, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: pepsidew ]

Splashofdew
11-18-2006, 01:53 AM
I love the Coke at McDonalds.I always wondered why it tasted much better than anywhere else.

Mr Zabe
11-18-2006, 11:43 AM
In short it has to do with two things;the premium water filtration system used with the fountains and the slightly elevated amount of syrup used to mix the soda pop. Like you said, MD's serves one of the best tasting fountain Cokes around.

[ 11-18-2006, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]