PDA

View Full Version : Expiration dates should be mandatory

gregmech26
06-15-2005, 04:02 AM
I bought some Virgil's cream soda at Merchant of Vino in Dearborn, Michigan. It was obviously expired. It tasted like it had been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

It's hard to tell which packages are the "fresh" ones since the store clerks usualy move the old product to the front, and put the fresh product in the back of the shelf.

I wish all food products had a "born on" date so the consumer can make a judgment call on whether or not to purchase the product.

Mr Zabe
06-15-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm very sensative to not drinking stale soda pop.
If I can't figure out how fresh/old a soda pop is , I will not buy it or drink it.

As a soda pop addict, I can't stand the let down of going home and finding out that I can't enjoy the soda pop I just brought. :(

The Interpreter
06-15-2005, 07:24 PM
And not only should expiration dates be required, they should NOT be in code. Born on dates I couldn't care less about. I want to know when I should have the product consumed BY, not when it was made....

gregmech26
06-16-2005, 12:26 AM
You're going to leave it up to the manufacturer to predict when their product expires? I'd rather make my own judgement call with a "born on" date AND an expiration date.

Mr Zabe
06-16-2005, 02:10 AM
I see your point Greg but in general the average soda pop consumer is not as savvy as us. I mean most of the posters on this board,like you and me, look for date/codes on the boxes and bottle/cans. We have an idea what of the age of the product is.

Common folks grab fridge packs off the shelf and as well grab a can from the fridge without looking for dates/code. I say because of the common (average) drinker of soda pop does not seem to care, then the information on the cartons and bottles/cans needs to be sort of "dummyfied".
It has to be real easy to read and understand.

That's my two cans. LOL

[ 06-16-2005, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

BottleBoss
06-16-2005, 04:10 AM
I've bought old sodas like this to. One made me sick. I don't think they want you to really be able to read the date either.

Hacksaw
06-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Date is only part of the problem. Yes, we need clear dates, but there is the problem of storing sodas in a hot warehouse. This speeds the aging process very quickly.

Mr Zabe
06-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Great point. Once the soda pop (the big players tend to merchandise the stores, free labor) smaller brands/ store brands can sit in a warm/hot area of the store's back storage area for weeks and or months.

Sure the fresh date shows a few months from the current date but the product is all but ruined.
Diet products spoil from heat about as fast as a fresh teenage pimple grows on a greasy face. LOL

Beverage Slinger
06-16-2005, 09:10 PM
It would be great if there was a standardized dating,but different co. use different methods,but ultimately the consumer is truly the highest priority,marketing,price,give aways dont mean squat if a customer has a bad experience with any beverage,and to anyone who has a question, you will always find a comment line on each can,every co. only want to bring you the best quality product home,and Im not talking from a spread sheet but years of experience,freshness is a huge deal,for me it all boiled down to a simple ideal,if its not good enough for me,it definately was not good enough for you,and as for product left outside in the sun,I havent seen that in over 20 years.

Mr Zabe
06-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Ok let's clear the air.
I said some products in the store that I use to mechanize from time to time had products like soda pop stored in a hot warehouse.(As noted in a previous thread.) Back up the truck, no one said or implied that any store would be so dumb as to store soda pop in the day light sun.

Chill, I'm sure you and the vast majority of store stockers do a great job. I know you do because I worked with people just like yourself. Now as a regular shopper, I treat all of the stockers, cashiers ects with the utmost respect. Chill.

Let's face it there are a few poorly managed stores that do not rotate stock and or make sure their worker are as efficient as you are.

I apologize as I should have included that remark in my original post.

By the way I was a retail merchandiser for Proctor and Gamble right out of college some 20 years age,and I bagged grociers in high school.

[ 06-16-2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Beverage Slinger
06-16-2005, 11:41 PM
I am totally chilled,and Im not even remotely upset,being a beverage man is a lifestyle not a job,I know what my brethern do and have to put up with,and they go out and do it and do it again,it is our goal to bring the best products to every home,my job in all honesty,is to make sure my products go home,that my brand is in every shopping cart,its aggressive by nature.

gregmech26
06-17-2005, 01:00 AM
A recent beer commercial boasted the fact that their product will always have the "born on date" clearly posted.

Beverage Slinger
06-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Greg, I agree,an uniformed labeling system would help the consumer,I myself have bought a 12 pack with a leaker and it upset me,but I know these things happen,so on my next visit to the market,I took the empty can and it was replaced.

rc4me
06-20-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree totally. I haven't bought a Jolt cola in a couple of years because they are almost always flat as a pancake. Nothing worse than a flat soda. I do like Jolt, too but just can't stand flat soda.

TaB
06-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I had the WORST Boylans ever from Jungle Jims.

2 years old, I'm guessing.

(The RC and Classic were good, though)

Hacksaw
06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
Too bad, Boylan's is often top notch. But, age & poor storage will get to sodas.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-22-2005, 12:05 PM
pepsi and coke are easy. 7up takes some work, and maybe German to figure out.

I know most beer codes by the back of my hand.

Heineken uses Julian.

Warsteiner clearly dates their product.

A-B uses born on.

Miller/Pabst/Stroh/Pete's Wicked use a five digit system - mmddY : Today's date - 06225

Labatt/Molson use a letter (month)/number (Day, year)combo

- Molson, Foster's, Asahi: F2205

- Labatt: F22 - there's year coding, but i forget.

i'll find more.

Beverage Slinger
06-23-2005, 02:38 AM
7up uses an A-L and a M-X,A or M would be january,L or X Would be December,and the # would be the days of the year preceded by the year,example,E5151,E would = the 5th mo.,5 would = the year2005,151 ould = the 151st. day of the year,the rest is where its bottled,but honestly,freshness is paramont to any brand,pride,integrity,honesty,commitment.

Putney
07-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Every year I have an obscure soda tasting in January, which is a little hard because a fair number of what I like to pick up is a promotion, limited time, or special edition. Through this I have noticed that there seems to be a difference between how long cans. plastic bottles, screw of glass bottles, and bottle opener glass bottles are good for. Am I making this up? Also how do you translate expiration date codes?

Android
07-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Usually plastic, no matter if it's diet or normal sodas, are given a 3 month shelf life. Cans, for HFCS/sugar, it's usually 9 months. Anything with aspartame (Nutrasweet) in it, is 3 months regardless of the container. Not sure if there's a standard for sucralose, although Pepsi gives Pepsi One a 6 month lifespan. Glass, well glass has become uncommon enough that I don't know if there's any set standards anymore. Back when I used to buy Pepsi in NR and returnable glass, it was 9 months, but the product would actually stay OK for months after that, provided you didn't store in direct sunlight.

I remember posting an expiration date on some Frostie Root Beer that I found amazing once, looking back at that post, it was like 78 weeks from bottling til expiration! Never found out the reasoning why - maybe it's the amber-tinted glass it was in or something.

( http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/bevboard-general/30859-frostie-root-beer-expiration.html )
-Andy

Soda-MN-Good
07-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I think instead of a "born on" or expiration date, they'd probably be better with a "best if consumed by" this way it's your judgement as to whether you want to risk the lack of carbonation or whatever.

Expiration dates mean nothing as the product can still be good. Case in point, Jones soda uses their dating system which means nothing to the average person, but they say their product is good for 2 years in a glass bottle. Where other vendors put 6 months out as being expired.

I think it more depends on the packaging. In a can, soda will eventually start to get the metal taste. In plastic, the carbonation eventually permeates through the bottle, thus why most bottles are eccessively carbonated ands till go flat in about 3 months. Glass however seems to keep it's flavor and carbonation for a very long time.

I'm currently drinking some Crush tropical punch that says it expired in December 2007, but tastes just as good as the first bottle I opened when I purchased them last summer.