PDA

View Full Version : Sobe No Fear

redchucks219
07-23-2005, 01:51 AM
Is it just me or is No Fear the worst tasting energy drink ever. It tasted bitter and just all around bad when i had it.

[ 07-09-2006, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: redchucks219 ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
07-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Um, it's actually the best tasting on the market, in my opinion...

You're a Red Bull fan, aren't you? :rolleyes:

SEV

Curious Joe
07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
No Fear is without a doubt the worst on the market

pepsidew
07-25-2005, 04:28 PM
sells great around here - out sells mt dew amp & sobe rush - it least in my area

Ron Swedelson
07-26-2005, 11:11 PM
It outsells amp. and rush in my area too...problem is that all three drinks combined account for less than 10% of the total sales.

the saint
07-27-2005, 12:52 PM
As far as mass, grocery, and C&G around here the three together are about the same as red bull. I am sure when you get into on premise ( I have no knowledge of that area) red bulls numbers are alot better.

sirslash
10-17-2005, 04:31 AM
the only engery drinks i like are kmx, full throttle and bawls so BLAH

VoiceofReason
11-23-2005, 05:10 PM
No Fear is without question my favorite energy drink. It is also the #1 selling 16oz drink in the US, so I can't be alone. At least 6 months ago it was, and I would bet anything that Full Throttle isn't anywhere near it. That stuff is the nastiest concoction I have ever experienced.

The Truth
11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Not even close Monster #1 16oz.

ramonazo
11-25-2005, 01:21 PM
SOBEse!

water beauty
11-30-2005, 05:16 AM
wonderful drink

Nick Laugher
12-01-2005, 05:08 PM
How can it be both bitter and sweet?
I enjoy it though, one of my personal favorites.

but it just doesn't compete with things like Pimp Juice, Crunk or Hype.

Super Jay
12-06-2005, 09:23 PM
1. I don't like No Fear, tastes too much like grapefruit.

2. It far out sells Pimp Juice, Crunk, and Hype. No Fear is now the #2 16 oz energy drink nationally (as per Nielsen Data). It just passed Rockstar recently.

Red Sox fan
12-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Wrong! Rockstar still #2.

Where are you getting the data from??? RI Nielson or your buddy, who's last name happens to be Nielson (and probably works for Sobe).

Red Sox fan
12-07-2005, 12:28 AM
I meant Nielsen, oops.

gripperm
12-07-2005, 02:40 AM
I love Sobe Adrenaline Rush!!!

Super Jay
12-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Red Sox Fan --- Well it depends if you want past 52 weeks or past 24 weeks. Or if you want National numbers, Northeast numbers or strictly Boston numbers. If you want Boston numbers then Rockstar isn't even the number the #3 16 oz. energy drink.

Red Sox fan
12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
52 weeks or 24 week national numbers will do.

Last time I checked Boston was not the epicenter for E. Drinks. If you want to get regional on me, how about providing some #'s from No. Cal or the Northwest.

Red Sox fan
12-07-2005, 08:51 PM
52 weeks or 24 week national numbers will do.

Last time I checked Boston was not the epicenter for E. Drinks. If you want to get regional on me, how about providing some #'s from No. Cal or the Northwest.

Super Jay
12-07-2005, 11:47 PM
I just thought you might be interested in Boston since that is where you are from.

You are right. Rockstar sells much better Northwest and N.Cal than it does anywhere else. Obviously that's why they stayed with the existing distributors in those areas rather than going with Coke. No matter what, Rockstar is not growing nowhere near as fast as the entire energy drink category.

I am sure you have your own Nielsen Data and know that Rockstar is dying slowly (thanks to Coke) everywhere except the Northwest region of the country. Don't get me wrong it is still dying there just not as fast.

By the way what happened to Rockstar Cola? I can't find it anywhere.

And how about that Von Dutch. That stuff should be discontinued by mid summer.

Red Sox fan
12-08-2005, 09:19 PM
alright, you have now exposed yourself as someone with an axe to grind!

what happend? Rockstar didn't hire you (or fired you) and now your only recourse is to go on message boards and say things that aren't true like Rockstar sales have faded; when in fact they have tripled since entering the coke system.

Still waiting for Nielsens...and don't lie either because there are plenty of people on this board who will call you out just as I did.

Super Jay
12-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Nope I have never worked for, interviewed for, or would ever want to work for Rockstar. It's ok if you work for them. I feel bad for you.

So since you work for Rockstar you must get your own Nielsen data, why do you need mine?

Bill Brasky
12-09-2005, 04:30 PM
I think Super Jay is right. I have seen Rockstar dropping like crazy up here in the Northeast and in other areas as well, and as far as Nielson data goes, I also saw No Fear pass by Rockstar to become the #2 16oz.

In the Northwest I hear it still is a Big Boy in town though. Not sure how the numbers are...not my area to keep up on.

As far as Von Dutch Energy Drink goes....my god, that stuff is like sipping on some XS with a shot of Anthrax included. Should be gone by Spring at the latest. Even the name is played out these days as the "trendy" kids have since moved on.

Red Sox fan
12-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Let me ask both of you this..do you have any idea what kind of access rockstar has received since going into the coke system? This is access other brands (including Red Bull) dream about.

National Chains-traditional and non (CVS (in '06), Family Dollar, Blockbuster, Home Depot, Rite Aid, Subway, Hudson news etc.)

Vending -Coke recently placed 6,000 energy exclusive vendors around the country.

Luxury properties- (Coke contracted ski resorts etc).

Colleges -all coke contracted schools and universities!!

Not to mention slotted into the tens of thousands of coke owned equipment around the country in C+P accounts.

IF you tell me brasky that rockstar has fallen off in NY then I know your a liar..compared to the horroible dist. we had before Coke??

Did No Fear pass ROckstar for maybe one month in Nielsen because they ran a national 2/$3 program with all thier chains to pump up sales before NACS? possibly.. but I doubt it..but lets take a look at some 52 week data..still waiting..SJ you claimed to have it, not me..where is it? Plus, it feels soo much better when you say it.

bottom line is this..Rockstar ACV has doubled and sales have tripled.

fyi- VD is doing just fine thank you. Did we think it would outsell RS? prob not..but the name of the game is space and real estate (thats why Hansens has 15 sku's. you think hansens came out with Deuce because they thought it was going to set the world on fire??.. no it was a protector brand for thier core monster line...LAter haters..

fusion
12-09-2005, 09:10 PM
In the Mid-Atlantic, we are getting RS into places that Honickman never could have taken it.

Let's face it - they have little to no cold drink equipment. Vending machines? Forget it! The best they can hope for is half a door in a c-store, with lower per-case prices than the big two just to get in the door.

We are putting RS, along with VD and FT in most of our coolers, giving them plenty of shelf space, pushing the multipacks, and securing incremental racks, including freestanding ones and ones that attach to the sides of coolers.

I remember hearing about all the OOC Rockstar that we pulled out of our stores due to poor sell through and rotation from the old distributors.

It's a lot easier to sell the drink in as part of an established line of drinks, including the #1 and #3 CSDs in the country, than it playing about 100th fiddle to the multitudes of SKUs of Snapple, Arizona, Mistic, and the fairly weak DPSU CSD brands.

And what about exclusive accounts? Is there even such a thing for these 3rd tier guys? Not in this area, from what I have seen.

Mr Zabe
12-09-2005, 09:33 PM
I agree with Fusion. Like any kind of food and drink industry, it all boils down to catagory market and shelf share. The big players will get there due. They will satisfy the masses and make their profits. The rest of the players even with good products will fight for the scraps.

That's just the facts of this industry.

[ 12-09-2005, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Super Jay
12-10-2005, 01:03 AM
Good comments made by Red Sox Fan and Fusion.

I agree that Rockstar's ACV has doubled. It was probably easy to triple sales when sales were horrible in the first place at most distributors. For example, triple 250 cases you have 750. Still not soo good.

You can put the stuff in ever single coke cooler everywhere, but at the end of the day, it still doesn't mean that it's a good product.

My guess is in about 4 months not only will Sobe No Fear (which it already is) be beating Rockstar but Full Throttle will have passed it also.

Bill Brasky
12-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Good topic going here.

Agree with a lot of things made and some very good observations.

I agree with the last comment made about Full Throttle also. Has more staying power and Coke will not let it die easily.....while a slow death to Rockstar and then taking the space once owned by Rockstar is inevitable. The advertising dollars are obviously all going to Full Throttle.

I see the same thing happening. I notice everyone's hands when walking through doors, and recently I would say out this way it is a 10-1 Throttle-to-Rockstar purchase....no doubt in my mind.

Robot
12-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd buy rockstar more often if they had it at sam's club... I currently can get monster or red bull at sam's club for pretty good prices. $32 or so for a 24pack of red bull.

$2.29 or $2.50 for rockstar generally speaking, sometimes $1.99 in places..

i also picked up a can of Von Dutch just to try it out.. the name is played out; but i actually really liked the energy drink.. i think its a good variation of the rockstar/red bull type taste.

sobe no fear is good but adrenaline rush is better IMO

i am also a big fan of full throttle but its nowhere near as good as KMX was, i loved that stuff, though I know I'm in the minority ont hat.

Red Sox fan
12-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Ok, SJ and brasky..Let me get this straight.

Rockstar was the #2 16oz in the country 6 months ago with a third tier distribution network that was average in some areas and sub par at best in others and non-existenst in large gaps.

Then in May the brand enters into an agreement with Coke (the #1 distribution system IN THE WORLD!!)upgrades distribution OVERNIGHT EVERYWHERE (except for the Northwest) and now according to you it will be wiped off the face of the planet within a year. Sounds like sound logic to me.

Lastly, I would not have a problem with your comments if they were fact bassed opinions (i.e. data from respected sources or trends). But pretty much all you have brought to the table so far is purely subjective (I'm sorry, but saying you think Rockstar is on the way out because you saw 10 out of 11 people in an Upstate NY gas station buying another brand is just not the scientific study I'm looking for).

But thats fine, everyone is entitled to thier opinion. Whats more interesting to me however are the comments that show obvious bias. (saying you feel "bad" for me if I work for ROckstar or that Rockstar is not a good product). It is comments like these that lead me to believe you have a personal issue with the company. If that's the case just say it..so we know where your really coming from. What's your beef? cmon, let it all out in the interest of FULL disclosure to be fair at least!

Because if we are going to argue the products merits you will lose.

-Rockstar was the first 16oz Energy drink EVER and essentially created a sub category that is now the fastest growing in the category (Innovative).

-First black can (they said Rockstar was crazy for having a black can, but then EVERY 16oz copied, even your precious No FEAR).

-Rockstar uses ONLY standardized extracts and are one of the only e drinks to include milk thistle (quality).

Go ahead, your turn.

Super Jay
12-12-2005, 02:17 AM
I looked back at other posts regarding Nielsen data and many people have asked for it before on this forum. But yet no one has ever really posted numbers. I don't plan on posting up information that companies pay for.

I forgot about the milk thistle, that has to be why it tastes so bad. Who cares about Milk Thistle? Crunk has horny goat weed, ashwaganda, skull cap, and white willow bark in it. Does that make Crunk any good? NO! It still sucks.

Wasn't this topic on No Fear? Did I not post up that I don't like the taste of No Fear?

Why don't you start a new topic and make it a poll, who likes the taste of Rockstar. Then we can go into more about Rockstar.

Ok, serious question. Is Rockstar Cola still being distributed and is it still being produced? Do any Coke distributors sell it or do your west coast guys sell it?

Red Sox fan
12-12-2005, 10:42 AM
RS Cola is produced and distributed exclusively in No. Cal and the Northwest.

Great product but last time I checked Coca Cola cornered the market on cola's and will be darned if they are going to distribute another Cola produced and owned by an independant company.

Red Sox fan
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
From Beverage Industry Magazines Nov. 2005 issue.

Category Focus: Top Energy Drinks by Brand.

Red Bull #1

Rockstar #2

Monster #3

Super Jay
12-12-2005, 11:00 PM
That makes sense why coke doesn't touch rockstar cola.

Is there a link yet for that article from bev industry mag?

Red Sox fan
12-12-2005, 11:15 PM
they still got the Oct. issue up www.bevindustry.com. (http://www.bevindustry.com.)

November should be up soon I guess.

Super Jay
12-13-2005, 12:08 AM
yeh i looked at the october issue.

i will keep looking.

Nick Laugher
12-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Rockstar Cola isn't really appealing to the masses though, it's strictly an energy drink, so you'd think Coke would have no problem distributing it... but eh, whatever.

And is their a full list in that issue or just a top 3?

Red Sox fan
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I think there is a full list. I don't have the mag in hand, a friend did and read it to me over the phone. Should be available online very soon.

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Red Bull, Rockstar, and Monster are great examples of how marketing and image in the energy drink business are much more important than taste.

Von Dutch is trying a go at it, but it has the same horrible sour-bubblegum flavor that the others have, and is just too late to grab a marketing foothold, because yes, that's all it takes.

Sobe No Fear is gaining speed, sure. I can only hope that people are starting to realize that energy drinks don't have to taste bad, and are starting to go with the Sobe drinks and a handful of others.

Rockstar's distribution may have skyrocketed, but everywhere I go I see shelves and shelves of Rockstar with no cans missing. Maybe it's not popular in Washington DC?

It's no surprise to me that it's becoming harder and harder to find Rockstar cola, because I, as a huge cola fan, find it disgusting.

This thread was started as a qualitative one and turned into a quantitative one. Let's get back to the subject. What do people think of these beverages?

SEV redface.gif

Nick Laugher
12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
I can't find Rockstar Cola anywhere, much to my dismay.

I love No Fear and Adrenaline Rush... but I feel they don't give me enough of a boost. It's really hard to see how Monster and Rockstar are that high up with that taste! Im not sure I like how all the energy drinks are becoming 16oz now, I hold a special place in my heart for 8.4oz cans, because I KNOW that it's an energy drink.
Something about those cans just sits right with me.

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-13-2005, 11:18 PM
I very much dislike the trend that's making 8oz go to 16oz.

If anything, normal soda should be in 16oz bottles, and all energy drinks should stay in 8oz(and go down in price).

SEV smile.gif

Nick Laugher
12-13-2005, 11:28 PM
agreed!

Super Jay
12-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Well just about every 8 oz. energy drink isn't doing so well, except Red Bull. Anyone that comes out with a new energy drink in an 8 oz. can is just crazy. The 16 oz. and 24 oz. can is where 95% of the category growth is. Most of the big players have dropped or are changing their 8 oz. cans over to 16 oz. so they can compete against all the other 16 oz. Amp is going to the tall boy Amp, Sobe Adrenaline Rush hasn't grown at all, KMX died a while ago.....the list goes on and on.

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Hmm...

So now you'll be able to buy a 16oz AMP? This confuses me since Pepsi also has MDX(is that a 14oz or 16oz bottle?) Isn't MDX just AMP with less the caffeine and a slightly different taste?

Way to go, Pepsi.

SEV :rolleyes:

Super Jay
12-15-2005, 11:45 PM
I think MDX is just half Amp and half Mountain Dew. As far as I know Amp Tall Boy is out west now. It will be showing up in other parts of the country soon after the new year. I think there is an article somewhere on bevnet about it.

the saint
12-16-2005, 05:46 AM
16 oz Amp is slated to be supposedly released Nationwide in the first quarter of 06.

[ 12-16-2005, 04:47 AM: Message edited by: the saint ]

Ron Swedelson
12-16-2005, 12:39 PM
16 oz. Amp has been out here in the San Francisco market for a while now, I think since at least last spring. Its called "Tall Boy"

redchucks219
12-30-2005, 12:43 AM
I think 8oz is just to small, and for the price, a waste of money. I dont understand how Red Bull is still in buisiness after Rockstar and Monster have come along and doubled the size for the same price. It seems to me like people are just not willing to try something new which is why they continue to support Red Bull. IMO if you really need energy bad enough to buy a drink, you should at least get something worth the money. Some people say they are too big, and that may be the case for some people, but nobody i know has any problem with downing a 16oz in a short amount of time. Maybe i just live in a really thirsty city, but i think that most people can handle a measly 16oz.

[ 02-06-2007, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: redchucks219 ]

Mr Zabe
12-30-2005, 05:15 AM
IMO....Red Bull has a certain snob appeal. I mean that some not all people drink Red Bull because in part it is a social statement. A statement that says, I can afford it,it looks cool in my hand and others will notice me for drinking it.

I do realize there is a core group of energy drinkers like yourself. I'm just speaking about the party scene at bars and social events. Most of those people probably think Red Bull was named after the Chicago Bull's basket ball team. LOL

[ 12-30-2005, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ron Swedelson
12-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Its all about the quality of ingrediants. Yeah you get overall more from the 16 oz cans, but if its at a much lower % of extract, then what good does that do? I dont think Rockstar and Monster and all them double their quantity, sell for less, and take a much less proffit in doing so. There are 2 things that really come down to the point that I try to stress. What really works. And what tastes good to you. You are talking about energy drinks, not tap water. You are spending $2 if its for an 8oz. 16oz. 24 oz what ever. If you have to buy 2 16 oz. drinks for the same effect as 2 8oz drinks, then whats the point. But secondly, its about what tastes good to you. We all know if you get some sleep and exercise, you would be much better off than needed energy drinks. Why go to Nations or some burger chain when you can get a burger at McD's for .59 cents? Tastes and quality. Its about what you want and when you want it.

Super Jay
12-31-2005, 01:50 AM
Sorry Ron, I have to disagree with you slighty. I think Rockstar and Monster probably make the same profit from a single can as does Red Bull. Yes 16 oz energy drinks have twice as much product with twice the buzz as Red Bull which does cost more, but they are both produced in the states. So shipping cost is minimal compared to Red Bull who produces all their cans in Austria and ships them across the atlantic to the US. How much money do they spend on shipping, while Rockstar and Monster spend that money on more product.

pepsidew
12-31-2005, 10:00 AM
the new 16oz Amp should do well - i think it will kill the smaller cans in a matter of time - and hopefully we'll see how the new Sobe No Fear Gold does

Nick Laugher
12-31-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm anxious to try No Fear Gold.

Hype is soon releasing their X2 product in Canada, and I can't wait for the first samples to hit my door. Hype Gold is a good attempt at the 16oz market from them, but it's a different flavor formulation and is more akin to redbull. X2's going to be Hype Classic, just in a bigger can, im stoked.

Ron Swedelson
01-02-2006, 04:59 PM
I think its only about $2 per case. You could be right. But I would like to know what the exact % of extracts they use. I do know that all the companies want to be able to use Red Bulls tourine, but it is protected by Red Bulls trademark or something.

Super Jay
01-03-2006, 12:35 AM
I didn't think that Red Bull had their own special "Taurine". But many energy drinks have Taurine (ex. Monster, No Fear, Rockstar, Go Fast, Lost....). I think the Taurine is the same for all energy drinks. No Red Bull employee has ever told me that they have their own trademarked Taurine.

Nick Laugher
01-03-2006, 10:26 PM
I doubt they do,
Taurine is found in the body.

Ron Swedelson
01-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Taurine is found in the body and animals as well. Many of the energy drinks get their energy drinks from Animal tendons. Red Bull has a pharmacutical grade taurine which was created for them. That is why everybody wants it, more potent and higher grade and easier to obtain.

redchucks219
01-06-2006, 10:19 PM
I've heard rumors that in Asia(not sure exactly where) that Red Bull is insanely strong because there are no regulations. And I've also heard it contains actual bull's blood. Sounds kinda weird. Is there any truth to this at all?

Nick Laugher
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
there's some truth, it's definitely more potent, im not sure it's like... deathly strong, but it's definitely stronger.

Ron Swedelson
01-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Ive had the Asian versions of energy drinks and they are more potent. More syrupy than the European drinks, and more Taurine and Caffiene, besides that, I am not sure what else they may contain.

Super Jay
01-08-2006, 02:37 AM
i think some asian energy drinks have nicotine in them. but i can't read the label so, it is still a rumor to me.

redchucks219
01-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Is there some place online where you can buy imported stuff like that?

Super Jay
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Here was some info from bevindustry.com from their november issue. Monster up 193%, Rockstar up 90%, and No Fear up 94%. This chart didn't come out very easy to read. Sorry

Top energy drinks by brand
Brand Dollar Sales % Change Vs. Prior Year Market Share % Change Vs. Prior Year
Red Bull $213,249,000 53.4% 54.4 -5.7%
Rockstar $37,390,520 89.5% 9.5 1.0%
Monster Energy $36,998,680 192.6% 9.4 4.0%
Sobe Adrenaline Rush $20,298,340 40.0% 5.2 -1.1%
Amp $18,851,420 40.4% 4.8 -1.0%
Sobe No Fear $17,346,630 93.8% 4.4 0.6%
Full Throttle $16,955,790 NA 4.3 4.3%
Rip It $2,652,455 860.8% 0.7 0.6%
Hansen’s Lost Energy $2,453,903 156.9% 0.6 0.2%
Sobe Lean $2,382,621 NA 0.6 0.6%
Source: Information Resources Inc., total food, drug and mass merchandise for the 52 weeks ending Oct. 2, 2005

Red Sox fan
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info SJ!

CStoreCatMan
01-31-2006, 04:09 PM
In SoCal, it goes like this:

1. Red Bull
2. Monster
3. Rockstar
4. Monster LoCarb
5. Red Bull SF
6. No Fear
7. Diet Rockstar
8. Lost
9. Full Throttle
10. Monster Assault
11. A-rush

Red Sox fan
01-31-2006, 05:47 PM
what is the source on the data above?

CStoreCatMan
02-02-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm a category manager...so I see sales/scan data directly from c-store accounts. Although a few of the brands I mentioned may change places in the rankings depending on the account, the above is a pretty accurate depiction of the energy market here in Southern California.

CStoreCatMan
02-02-2006, 03:36 PM
I included 8oz cans in my list...if you backed those out...No Fear would be the #4 brand in a 16oz can in my market.

Super Jay
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
any thoughts on no fear gold and how is it selling? Amp Tall boy has a new can out there too. The first tall boy looked a lot like the original amp and now tall boy has changed to a new amp logo and brighter green can, looks much better. Chances of it killing off amp 8 oz........very good.

CStoreCatMan
04-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Haven't seen any numbers on Gold yet. I also heard about the new Amp can but haven't seen that either...

Doug
04-13-2006, 02:23 AM
I don't like regular No Fear very much, but NF Gold is one of the best tasting energy drinks I've had

SURGE
04-13-2006, 12:48 PM
I hear the Amp tall-boy is doing very well in its current markets while SoBe Gold is not doing much.

redchucks219
04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I tried NF Gold and couldn't distinguish any drastic changes. What's the difference supposed to be?

pepsidew
04-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by SURGE:
I hear the Amp tall-boy is doing very well in its current markets while SoBe Gold is not doing much. i would agree with that

Doug
04-23-2006, 04:11 AM
I hear the Amp tall-boy is doing very well in its current markets while SoBe Gold is not doing much. Tall Boys have been selling very well at the c-store I work at, Golds sell alright

Spartan Dan
04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
I havnt heard of the Tall AMP yet. Im stuck with the 8oz cans.

pepsidew
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
tall boys still going great around here

Spartan Dan
05-03-2006, 09:45 AM
A tall Amp, its like a distant dream to me.

ehinkes
05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Will Amp come out with a sugar free version like MDX? Why does Pepsi have both Amp and MDX, seems like overlap in the product line.

CStoreCatMan
05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
Amp and MDX are two different products. Amp is an energy drink. MDX is a SODA that has energy ingredients added to it. I haven't heard about a SF Amp...but if the regular holds strong, I'm sure we'll see it down the road.

David J.
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
It took a while for AMP tallboys to hit my area in full swing. The grocery store near the high school sold them first, and was the only store for a few weeks, until a few other places got them.

I tried AMP again and it was pretty good this time around.

SURGE
05-18-2006, 04:32 PM
AMP is pretty solid but I never really bought it due to the 8oz size. Now that they have upgraded I see myself picking one up far more often.

CStoreCatMan
05-19-2006, 12:36 PM
We'll have a 24oz version of Amp in my market before the year is over...

David J.
05-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Man, I'm sure there will be a warning label on that. :D

I like No Fear GOLD, but I hate the regular No Fear. I'm going to try the limited superman one next week. :D

upinarms
05-29-2006, 09:27 PM
1. Adrenaline Rush
2. No Fear
3. No Fear Gold

906. Superman Energy Supplement

pepsidew
05-29-2006, 10:18 PM
everyone i have talked to says that Superman is pretty gross...i havent had it...good thing its an in and out product

DJ HawaiianShirt
05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Superman is pretty gross, yes. I expect better from Sobe. They've made very few products that I dislike.

Spartan Dan
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
Sobe has some good drinks and some let downs. I for one, liked the No Fear energy drink. Its pretty cheap where I get it from. And it tastes good too. But I still like Monster and Red Bull better.

CStoreCatMan
05-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Our market will FINALLY get A-rush in a 16oz can! A few more months...should be a great package.

pepsidew
06-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:
Our market will FINALLY get A-rush in a 16oz can! A few more months...should be a great package. i heard this the other day too - makes sense because the 8oz cans arent selling at all anymore

the amp tallboys are growing fast around here, overtaking our no fear numbers

SURGE
06-18-2006, 05:12 PM
A-Rush in 16oz will be a winner for sure. Superman on the otherhand is the worst SoBe bev. since Mr. Green- utterly crap. But a short term nightmare isnt too bad I guess.

CStoreCatMan
06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Pepsidew - we're about to get Amp in a 24oz can here! Around the same time as the A-rush 16oz...
Also - they designed a new can for the 16oz versions of Adrenaline Rush...have you seen them yet? All silver, very clean, looks like they went with the "premium packaging."

Mr Zabe
06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
I bet some time down the road there will be a single serve 2 ltr energy drink sold a gyms and sporting events. NOT....LMAO

[ 06-19-2006, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsidew
06-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:
Pepsidew - we're about to get Amp in a 24oz can here! Around the same time as the A-rush 16oz...
Also - they designed a new can for the 16oz versions of Adrenaline Rush...have you seen them yet? All silver, very clean, looks like they went with the "premium packaging." havent seen the new cans - i did hear about the 24oz amp - thats crazy smile.gif is pepsi trying to kill people?

NRGSLLR
06-20-2006, 06:25 PM
What's next 32oz?

CStoreCatMan
06-21-2006, 12:31 PM
Pepsidew - I know 24oz is a lot of energy! They're just trying to be in the game with the new Amp "Big Rig." (that's what its being called)

hbg
06-21-2006, 08:32 PM
its because monster has them already. i had a kid by 5 of them when i was stocking an open air cooler. I can not wait for the a-rush 16 oz. i used to drink one every day

Red Sox fan
06-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Pepsi is getting thier ***** handed to them in the E. Drink game.

REd bull and Monster are crushing them and even Coke's e. drink market share is siginificantly greater in C-stores nationally.

They better do something besides copy their competitors package sizes if they want to catch up.

CStoreCatMan
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Pepsi is not the only company that has not been able to keep up with the likes of RB or Monster...most can't!! Coke had to go buy Rockstar just to be in the game....Full Throttle and Von Dutch weren't going to do it on their own!
But remember something, the beverage industry consists of a lot more than just energy drinks! As a whole, Pepsi is in a much better spot than you think -- better than most other beverage companies. They virtually own the coffee category, the isotonic category and have very strong players in water (Aquafina is #1 here), teas (Lipton) and juice (Dole). Energy is one category they don't have as much of a hold on...but there are some things on the way that will help...

fusion
06-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Uhh, Coke doesn't own Rockstar.

And Von Dutch is a Rockstar product, not a Coke product.

SURGE
06-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I think Pepsi has some good edrink product but (surprsingly) inept sales and marketining techniques. I say dump the Dew ads- its already established- and make them AMP ads (still show the Dew logo though) its a win-win the Dew brand gets promoted while remindning people of AMP. Cokeused to be in far worse shape but they have really turned it around in the last year- FT is doing well with growth and RS is expanding internationally. Still the big-2 really got owned by these start-ups which has got to put a smile on the face of anybody who has seen these big giants crush everybody in their way.

the saint
06-27-2006, 04:40 PM
I think Pepsi has some good edrink product but (surprsingly) inept sales and marketining techniques. I say dump the Dew ads- its already established- and make them AMP ads (still show the Dew logo though) its a win-win the Dew brand gets promoted while remindning people of AMP. Cokeused to be in far worse shape but they have really turned it around in the last year- FT is doing well with growth and RS is expanding internationally. Still the big-2 really got owned by these start-ups which has got to put a smile on the face of anybody who has seen these big giants crush everybody in their way. Dam it is either a cold day in hell or something because I actually agree with you. LOL.
Pepsi will never enjoy the amount of volume from their edrinks that red bull has enjoyed but evidently they are commited to the "amp" name and brand due to increased packaging on it.
I wish that they would dump 8.3-4 oz all together in both adr-rush and amp and just go with 16s. They would be better off going with 4 pks only in mass and grocery. If the store specifically requests singles then have an energy drink only cooler brought in under a timed contract, not the ever popular "fit it into what space you have".
C- stores and what ever bars they may be in well that is a different beast entirely. However I still think they should dump the 8 oz and go with 16s.

No matter what Pepsi needs to put money into advertising on these brands. I feel they need to stop paying celebs for stupid gimmick promo endorsments (i.e. xzibit and Jeff Gordon with the 5 dollars gas every minute and win a suburban?!?!?!,)ALSo does Pepsi really need to endorse 4 nascar drivers, an entire team in 07 under NO FEAR along with like 10 races. I think 2 maybe 3 races is enough. They should spend some of that money elsewhere. I know Nascar is huge, but there are alot of people who could give a rodents backside less about it. It is the same as all of their attempts with the hispanic graphics and sodas geared at hispanics. Yes the hispanics are going to be outnumbering pretty much every other race in the next 10 years but Pepsi in Mexico is almost nonexistant. Coke has like a 90% share and 8 of the other ten % is a mexico only drink (ramon a little help here on the name)I think the name is Big Cola, Big soda something to that effect.

[ 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: the saint ]

CStoreCatMan
06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Uhh, Coke doesn't own Rockstar.

And Von Dutch is a Rockstar product, not a Coke product. I know...my point was Coke had to take on a well established brand to be competitive in this category. Full Throttle couldn't do it alone. How do you think FT is getting its shelf space? Sourcing space from RS of course. Von Dutch was a joke anyways...come and gone in less than 6 months here...

fusion
06-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, I can agree with that. With the amount of products that come and go every year, it would seem to be a safer bet to take on something with an established name, rather than reinventing the wheel, so to speak.

Hence Coke partnering with Godiva for a coffee drink. And using the Coca-Cola name for Coca-Cola Zero, not like the old days of using a totally different brand name, like TaB.

Maybe Von Dutch would have done better if it was "Von Dutch by Rockstar" or something to that effect? I know Rockstar Juiced is doing really, really well.

fusion
06-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I also agree with the Saint's comment about only selling 4 packs in mass merch/grocery. The category has matured enough that people are willing to pay $6-$7 for 4 warm cans off the shelf for future consumption, and around $2 for a single can cold in a cooler. Heck, they even buy those Red Bull 12 packs for $20!

In stores that I work in, I've been converting the sections over to all 4 packs. Loose is really just too hard to rotate and properly stock.

[ 06-27-2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

the saint
06-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I know I would rather pull my own teeth with some needlenose pliers sometimes than fill single energy drinks. I can rotate and fill a case of 4 pks in less than 30 seconds but a case of singles seems to take 5 minutes.

SURGE
06-27-2006, 05:55 PM
I agree with Saint and others who have suggested that 8oz get dumped. It seems like the only 8oz that carries its weight is the Bull. Then again with their impeding release of 16oz I imagine that even for them 8oz will fall in popularity. It just seems like Pepsi especially has too many configirations of their brands with both 16 and 8 oz. If 8oz is to survive price it lower or make it super concentrated or some other "higher quality" tie-in otherwise its just wasted shelfspace that could be put to good use pushing No Fear or AMP 16oz.

David J.
06-28-2006, 12:59 AM
Von Dutch and Rockstar Juiced are great! I wish I see more Von Dutch around. :(

CStoreCatMan
06-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I regret to inform you that Von Dutch has passed away...services will be held on Bevnet in the energy drink forum. :D

Red Sox fan
06-28-2006, 06:31 PM
yep, will be burying it in the same cemetary as EVERY 8oz energy drink Pepsi ever came out with.

Only difference being Rockstar realized it wasn't working and cut the chord quick, where as Pepsi allowed their 8oz e.drinks to die a SLOWWW, PAINFUL, DEATH!!

CStoreCatMan
06-29-2006, 12:33 PM
You mean like KMX and KMX Blew? If you're going to attack Pepsi's 8oz brands you can't leave out the fact that the first major energy flop came from Coke!! And Rockstar 8oz ARE still available in certain markets...

I would say Amp 8oz can go away now that there are 16oz cans and 24oz on the way. With A-rush its a different story...I would say ditch the 8oz when the 16oz comes out (soon in this market). Until then, might as well keep it. It may not be breaking any sales records, but every sale still results in good profits!

[ 06-29-2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

NRGSLLR
06-29-2006, 04:40 PM
If 8oz is dead why is Monster pushing 8oz?

Red Sox fan
06-29-2006, 07:31 PM
I am not defending KMX or the coke company.

Although Coke did have enough sense to realize that their 8oz wasn't working (ditched KMX), and came out with a 16oz (Full Throttle). Unlike Pepsi who lost a good year or 2 spinning their wheels with their below average (sales wise) 8oz packages.

8oz, 16oz, 24oz. it really doesn't matter..the bottom line is Pepsi is the red headed step child of the E. drink category right now and getting beat down by all the major players in the category.

David J.
06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by NRGSLLR:
If 8oz is dead why is Monster pushing 8oz? Don't you mean Redbull? I've NEVER seen a 8oz Monster. Funny stuff: I went to the store to get a monster and for some reason they only have lo-carb so I bought it and it tasted better than orig. monster, hmm...

CStoreCatMan
06-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Red Sox fan:
I am not defending KMX or the coke company.

Although Coke did have enough sense to realize that their 8oz wasn't working (ditched KMX), and came out with a 16oz (Full Throttle). Unlike Pepsi who lost a good year or 2 spinning their wheels with their below average (sales wise) 8oz packages.

Yes and no. Coke "spun" their wheels for a few years after KMX (had to fail with Blue also before they gave up)...Full Throttle took a WHILE to come out. During that time, Pepsi still had energy out there selling. Not as fast as the other brands like RB, RS, Monster of course, but they were making money.

Pepsi will continue to be a player in the category, although not one of the biggest. Which is okay, they can't dominate every non carb category!! Someone else has to have a chance!

SURGE
06-30-2006, 06:07 PM
Can we never bring up KMX again? :D That had to be the pinnicle of brand miss-management not to mention a disgusting product.

CStoreCatMan
06-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Fair enough! When you're right, you're right.

NRGSLLR
07-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by David J,:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NRGSLLR:
If 8oz is dead why is Monster pushing 8oz? Don't you mean Redbull? I've NEVER seen a 8oz Monster. Funny stuff: I went to the store to get a monster and for some reason they only have lo-carb so I bought it and it tasted better than orig. monster, hmm... </font>[/QUOTE]There are definitely 8.3oz Monster cans out there. It was a big push in early 2006.

[ 07-03-2006, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: NRGSLLR ]

CStoreCatMan
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I've never seen Monster in 8oz cans either. Perhaps they're only doing that in certain areas? I've seen Rockstar 8oz out here in SoCal...but not Monster.

David J.
07-06-2006, 02:45 PM
I saw a 24oz Diet Rockstar at the grocery store the other day.

CStoreCatMan
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah the 24oz cans have been out here for a while...Monster, Monster Low Carb, Rockstar, Diet Rockstar, Juiced, Amp (on the way), BooKoo...