PDA

View Full Version : The "New" Diet Mountain Dew

MeBear
02-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Hi,
I just found this forum because I wanted to get something off my chest.
A couple days ago I bought a 24 pack of Diet Mountain Dew (Yes, I am addicted). I chilled the pack and cracked open the first can, what a suprise, it tasted like someone added a disinfectant to the mix. I promptly poured it down the drain. Then I opened another, tasted the same....really bad!
While quickly scanning the can for some reason for the odd taste I discover the words emblazened on the side of the can, "Tuned up taste". WHAT! NO! They didn't screw with my Dew! I quickly ran to a local gas station to check for old stock and found my fix. Drove home and popped open a warm one, ahhhhhhh, there it was, the old taste was back.
I called the number on the can today and a very curtious lady listened to my complaint, she had no hesitation in her voice at all as she told me the sweetener formula had been changed to include Splenda and she would be more than happy to send me a coupon for a new case.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I am in Northwest Indiana and I am sure the new stuff will be spreading quickly.

So sorry for a first post being a long rant but I am hooked on the stuff and don't want to see this happen to a good product.

BATBL18
02-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Well because the taste was always complained about Diet Dew got reformulated. It also didn't help that Vault and Vault Zero just came out to compete against it. Stock up as much as you can because they're not going to go back to the old formula. Either that or try some Diet Mello Yello, if its even there, or some Vault Zero and see if you like it or not. Or else, get use to the new taste.

DJ HawaiianShirt
02-27-2006, 09:34 PM
It's amazing how diet soda fans literally get hooked on aspertame. While the general soda fanbase and beverage industry believe it's a good idea to move to artificial sweeteners that have less of an aftertaste and are less bitter, hardcore fans hold on to it for dear life.

This is why sodas like Coke Zero and Pepsi One do ok, but they will never wean their hardcore users off of Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi unless they disappear, because they're hooked on the bitter taste, I guess.

So, sorry about your Diet Dew being gone, but it is. Many people will see this change as good, but the Diet Dew purists are going to be very unhappy.

SEV :(

[ 02-27-2006, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: SnappleElementsVenom ]

mjb1124
02-28-2006, 07:55 PM
It was inevitable that someone wouldn't like the new formula. Me, I welcome the new formula with open arms, as I think the old Diet Dew was perhaps the worst diet soda made by the "Big Three" companies. The new one tastes a lot closer to regular Dew, IMHO. But I guess I can feel for people losing a product they love.

BTW, aspartame is still the primary sweetener in the new Diet Dew.

Mr Zabe
02-28-2006, 08:06 PM
The new Diet Mountain Dew by definition will be better, it has to be or else.LOL

Robot
02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
i just tried teh new diet dew.. it tastes much more like regular dew now... old diet dew was pretty horrible.

Mr Zabe
02-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Outstanding!!!!!
I hope they have it in single bottles so I can taste it. (Maybe I can find a 2ltr?)

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:

BTW, aspartame is still the primary sweetener in the new Diet Dew. Touché, Miki. But acesulfame potassium hides aspertame's aftertaste like in Coke Zero, so it's essentially not there.

Apparently instead it tastes like "disinfectant". But in my opinion, disinfectant is better than the old Diet Dew.

SEV :rolleyes:

CStoreCatMan
03-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy O'Sullivan:
i just tried teh new diet dew.. it tastes much more like regular dew now... old diet dew was pretty horrible. That is how the "reformulation" was presented to us. I hope it does taste more like regular as I'll start drinking it. smile.gif

Robot
03-01-2006, 02:44 PM
yah it definatley "resembles" mountain dew.. where as diet dew didnt actually resemble mountain dew at all.. people may have liked it, but it was mountain dew in name only...

the new one at least is attempting to taste like mountain dew.

RestInPeaceBelovedDietDew
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I too am very upset about the formula and taste change of Diet Mountain Dew. It's the worst thing that could have ever happened to my beverage enjoyment. I never liked regular Dew so I guess that's why I don't like the new Diet. I really wish Pepsi would have just left well enough alone.

I can't drink this new crap they call Diet Dew. I guess I'm going to have to find a new soda to drink.

If anyone from PepsiCo is reading this take note. You've just lost a loyal customer that drank 3 cases of Diet Dew per week for over 10 years.

Mr Zabe
03-07-2006, 11:45 AM
LOL
And I thought I drank a lot of soda pop? LMAO
So you drink 3 24ct cases of Diet Mountain Dew a week? LOL My goodness you must have a cast iron stomach.(Just a joke,no disrespect meant.)

NewDietDOODOO
03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree It Sucks. what were they Thinking. Or were the thinking at all?

pepsidew
03-08-2006, 05:40 PM
in the long run hopefully the new diet dew with attract more new drinkers then it will lose. as for people getting pissed off about it, i understand it sucks but come on its just soda. its not like pepsi killed one of your children.

CStoreCatMan
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
LOL! Very true...its just sugar water folks!

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm just now having my first cold 20oz bottle of the NEW diet Dew. Keep in mind, I'm a regular drinker...so for ME...this is much better. However, I can see how long standing Diet Dew drinkers may not like it as the formula change is very noticeable and very different than the original.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I was disappointed to see that Pepsi reformulated Pitch Black, but I got over it.

DJHS

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
LOL...yeah, all the people that think their lives are over based on a soda's formula change need to relax! Geez.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-12-2006, 09:35 AM
so is there a diet mountain dew forum for all of these people to hang out in? i was just curious where they all came from

fusion
03-13-2006, 07:55 AM
I also couldn't imagine drinking just one flavor of soda. That would get really boring after a while.

Maybe they should create a new Diet Dew forum so they can have a bitchfest about the new formula?

Mr Zabe
03-13-2006, 10:56 AM
LMAO.... Very funny. smile.gif

CStoreCatMan
03-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
I also couldn't imagine drinking just one flavor of soda. That would get really boring after a while.

Maybe they should create a new Diet Dew forum so they can have a bitchfest about the new formula? There are several "fests" going on all over these forums!! Don't think we need any more!

mjb1124
03-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
so is there a diet mountain dew forum for all of these people to hang out in? i was just curious where they all came from There seem to be similar mobs of complainers every time a product is dropped or reformulated. So in all likelihood, these people just searched for an outlet to express their dislike for the new formula, and found this site.

pepsidew
03-13-2006, 07:17 PM
i bet everyone who is disappointed about the new diet dew could shop around their town, slow grocery/department stores probably still have some old version diet dew. i know i have a few 12pks left at a few accounts

CStoreCatMan
03-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Yeah...there will definitely be some of the old formula still out there. Check slower moving retailers like drug stores & mom & pops...

coqueleque
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I hate the new Diet Dew. Tastes so gross. I Emailed the website, and got an answer back stating that they certainly take into account the views of their consumers. What does that mean?? Nothing.

I'll miss my Diet Dew, although I still have a few bottles of the good stuff left.

Coco

Red Bull Vendor
03-15-2006, 07:30 PM
I never new ther was a change, this is my favorite soda, either it has not changed here, or i cant tell teh difference. The bottle I had today just said SAME DEW, NEW VIEW, i just figured it was a new label, but it must be more than that

fusion
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
The new version has the words "Tuned Up Taste" on the label.

afterglide
03-16-2006, 12:03 AM
You can indeed still find old, or "Same Dew New View", Diet Mountain Dew in gas stations, convenience stores, and even certain specialty supermarkets where soft drinks are not a huge seller. Larger chain supermarkets that tend to price soft drinks lower and move higher volume more quickly are almost certainly sold out of the old stuff by now.

But as I've pointed out on my Diet Dew website fightforflavor.com (http://www.fightforflavor.com), there's no sense in going hog wild in stocking up. The latest expiration date on old DMD I've been buying is May 15th, 2006. So unless you plan on chugging down those 50 cases of Diet Mountain Dew before mid-June, you're going to have another version to complain about--old and flat. Which would probably still taste better than the Tuned Up Taste stuff.

On the one hand, I understand PepsiCo's interest in introducing a diet drink that tastes more like fully leaded Mountain Dew. But as it's been pointed out, aspartame versions of Diet Coke and others have continued to sell because of the diehards who actually enjoy that flavor in their diet sodas. In my case, while I do like Diet Coke, I far prefer regular Coke's flavor. But I've never cared much for regular Mountain Dew and have loved Diet Mountain Dew from the day I swigged my first can in the late 80's.

pepsidew
03-16-2006, 07:23 PM
i did a blind taste test between the two version of diet dew - i liked the new version better - but that is probably because i dont like diet soda - and i think the new version tastes less like diet - my wife however liked the old version - she doesnt drink diet soda either.

newdewstinks
03-16-2006, 07:31 PM
That new "Tuned Up" Diet Dew is the worst. I drink at least 2 cans a day - today I went out to buy as much of the old dew as I could. The Pepsi folks told me in taste tests this new diet dew did better. Not for me! If it ain't broke, don't fix it - I want my old dew back!

PepsiBlue
03-16-2006, 08:32 PM
Diet Mountain Dew Code Red, hopefully isnt changing the taste.
then again I have yet to see Die Code Red get a label change!

[ 03-20-2006, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: PepsiBlue ]

afterglide
03-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Today one of my coworkers suggested a blind taste test between regular Dew, old diet, and new diet. Four people participated, and none of them are diet soda drinkers. All 4 picked regular Dew as their favorite overall. But only one of them preferred new diet to old diet. All four of them, including the one who preferred new to old, commented that Tuned Up Taste Diet Mountain Dew was too sweet and had a bad aftertaste. Scientific? No. A good statistical sampling? Of course not. But interesting results.

newdewstinks
03-18-2006, 09:14 AM
Everyone I know that has tried the new tuned up diet dew says there is a really bad aftertaste. Ew.

SURGE
03-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Apparently Diet Dew outside of the US (and maybe Canada) is not getting the "Tuned up Taste". Atleast thats the word at this point.

On topic I have a few things to add. First the point about Diet Coke is right on- problem with Diet Dew is that it just isnt as huge of a brand. It seems that Coke and Pepsi have lately been trying to encourage non-diet drinker to switch and in some ways that seems to be at the expense of pre-existing diet fans.

In the end Pepsi needed to do this though. IMHO Diet Dew was one of the nastiest drinks around and with increasing competition in that market it was just too much of a market to lose to Vault Zero. It will be interesting to see if the strategy backfired though by alienating current diet drinkers and giving them incentive to switch brands. Only time will well but it needed to be done at some point.

PepsiDawg
03-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Down here in the N. Florida/S. Georgia Pepsi Market Unit, we're being told that Dt Dew was reformulated because of the loss of customers who switch from drinking reg. dew to a diet drink.

We don't have it down here yet, but it supposedly taste more like reg. dew

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-19-2006, 10:53 PM
People, why go buy the remaining stocks of the old stuff when you know it's going? The most you'll find is a couple dozen cans or bottles. This would be a great time train your tastes to another drink, because like it or not, believe it or not, the old Diet Dew is no longer being made.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Diet Dew Heads are still in the first stage of the grieving process. :cool:

Diet Dew Addict
03-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Very Unhappy Customer. I agree they should have never changed the formula for Diet Dew. The first time I had one, I thought I got a can the was fermented. I have been drinking the original Diet Dewit for years. I can not stand the new taste. They have not changed Diet Code Red, but it is becomming harder to find. I guess I will have to find a replacement beverage of choice. That's 2 cost of cases a week the Pepsi won't be getting from me.

CStoreCatMan
03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Perhaps the unhappy Diet Dew drinkers could ask Pepsi to carry both versions. Its not likely IMO, but worth a shot. It would kind of be like having Diet Coke (original) and Diet Coke w/Splenda. Its probably a longshot but may be a better option than screaming "CHANGE IT BACK OR WE'LL HATE PEPSI FOREVER!!"

Mr Zabe
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
I'm a loyal Pepsi and Mountain Dew drinker but with all due respect the original Diet Mountain Dew was not supported in sales that's why it was reformulated. It's bummer for those who loved Diet Mountain, I do have some compassion.

It would be cool if Pepsi could offer some sort of one line store to supply you with affordable and fresh Diet Mountain Dew. smile.gif

CHAoS_NiNJA
03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
I signed up to the board just for this reason...I HATE the new taste.

I was a loyal Diet Mt. Dew drinker. Have been for the last two or more years. A used to drink a 2-liter a day, every day. But not any more. This new stuff taste like a mix of normal Dew and medical waste. Its horrible. The aftertaste is soooo bad and it makes me miss the old Dew so much more.

Honestly? I'm boycotting all Pepsi products. I know it sounds childish, but I don't care. I have very few things I love in life, and the old Dew just so happened to be one of them. No more Dew for me.

Now please excuse me as I dump this 2-liter down the drain.

BTW, does anyone have a number I can complain too?

[ 03-22-2006, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: CHAoS_NiNJA ]

MeBear
03-23-2006, 04:27 AM
1-800-433-2652

That is the number on the can of the "old" Dew.

Give 'em hell!

stoicjohn
03-27-2006, 02:18 PM
thank god, I though I was crazy. It tastes like Pine sol.

mr jones
03-30-2006, 01:24 AM
Boohoooo They changed the flavor of my sugar water. Nothing makes sense anymore. Woe is me
:(

CStoreCatMan
03-30-2006, 12:49 PM
wow...that's harsh and funny at the same time! smile.gif

afterglide
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Releasing a "classic" version of Diet Mountain Dew is the most likely of the possible positive outcomes, and is mentioned in the petition, fightforflavor.com, and another anti-Tuned Up Taste website, NewDietDewIsYucky.com.

David J.
04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok, I'm clueless here, but what did the old Diet Dew taste like?

Mr Zabe
04-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Bright yellow Pig's Piss. LOL
It's the kind of taste that I have suppressed from my memory. tongue.gif

Lepke
04-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Diet mountain dew is like taking a shower with a raincoat on.

Spartan Dan
04-20-2006, 10:14 AM
I second DooDoo's comment. They took the great xbox past time, and replaced it with an imposter!

pepsidew
04-22-2006, 10:23 AM
every diet dew drinker i talk to says they love the new version or didnt even notice the change.

Spartan Dan
04-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I just tried it yesterday. It was terrible. Its time to go Becker on their employees.

aspartame69
05-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I Was a faitful old dew drinker, but when the tuned up taste came out i fell in love with it. i have found that it is much more smooth, and like so many others have said, tastes much more like mountain dew. The vault zero has a wonderful scent, but it is a little harsh for me, although the much higher caffeine content is a nice addition. I am going to stick with good ol Diet Mountain Dew.

CStoreCatMan
05-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm drinking a Diet Dew with "tuned up taste" right now. I like it much better than the original formula which had a very noticeable aftertaste. Also, like the above poster said, it is a smoother taste that is much closer to original Dew. Isn't that the point of a diet drink? To be as close to the original flavor without the calories?

coqueleque
05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
There is just no way I can drink the new formula Diet Dew. It's sickening to me. So, I've been searching for a new diet drink. I tried Diet Vault - I thought it was too harsh, too. I don't like the cola type diet drinks or the Sprite like diet drinks.
A few days ago I bought a 12 pack of Tropicana Light Lemonade and loved it. I went to get more at a different store and they didn't have it, so I bought Light Countrytime Lemonade - just as good.(5 calories per can) So, finally I have a replacement. The added bonuses - no caffeine and no carbonation.
Yeh!!!

Coco

CStoreCatMan
05-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Sorry to say that both FightforFlavor.com and TheNewDietDewisYucky.com have SURRENDERED. Why? The numbers are in and the new Tuned up Taste Diet Dew is on FIRE! Its sales are up 17% in convenience stores...so far. It seems that Pepsi made the right choice by reformulating this brand as its already enjoying improved sales in a very short period of time.

newdewstinks
05-28-2006, 09:32 AM
That's bizarre. Where I used to search to find a 12-pak of the old Diet Dew in my grocery there sits stacks of the new Tuned Up stuff. I wonder where they check sales that show it's up 17% for the new product? It certainly isn't in my area! It's not selling at all here. Probably cuz the new diet dew tastes like crap. Personally, I have 10 12 paks left and after that, I'll never buy Pepsi products again. Go Coca Cola!!! It does not matter what kind of Coke I buy, I just know it will not be Pepsi......

purpguy
05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I'd like to see the source of the C-store data...overall sales data would be more interesting. "Classic" DMD sales were actually on the upswing in 2004 & 2005, with it hitting the top 10 list in 2005. I'm still hopeful of Pepsi reintroducing the old formula in the same way as the Live Wire versions, if not going back. In the meantime, the best alternative I've found is Diet SunDrop - a little hard to find, though.

CStoreCatMan
05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
The 17% number was reported on both FightforFlavor.com AND TheNewDietDewisYucky.com as being from valid sources...I'm not exactly sure what they were looking at. In my market, Diet Dew 20oz is up 45% YTD in grocery stores. Those sales come primarily from checkstand coolers. And the 45% we found was based on internal sales numbers '05 vs. '06 - same timeframe.

SURGE
06-01-2006, 12:55 AM
While I strongly prefer the new Dew and expect it to preform well in the marketplace, I'm really not too impressed with 17% gains. That is not a bad number by any means but seems consistant for any product that is getting a huge boost in promotion and strong discounts. I think in a few months things will be clearer.

CStoreCatMan
06-02-2006, 01:02 PM
A 17% gain on a CSD is outstanding given the current declines in the category. Especially since that gain has been since the release of the "Tuned up Taste" which took place at the end of February. So that's to say from March through end of May (3 months) - sales on this ONE brand are up double digits - almost 20%. That's not too shabby in my opinion.

cobbga
06-25-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't care what you non-Diet Mountain Dew drinkers think. For those of us who have been loyal to DMD since its inception, pepsico did a very underhanded thing in changing the formula without input from its consumers. It taste like crap and they lost major dollars from me but gained about $500.00 a year in bad advertising. No one was complaining about DMD's taste (except the wienies that can't drink diet drinks) Since it is the only thing I drink, I now have to find somewhere else to spend my money - and will still be dissatisfied. The one and only habit I had is now shot to hell. Thanks a lot Pepsico!

SURGE
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by cobbga:
I don't care what you non-Diet Mountain Dew drinkers think. For those of us who have been loyal to DMD since its inception, pepsico did a very underhanded thing in changing the formula without input from its consumers. It taste like crap and they lost major dollars from me but gained about $500.00 a year in bad advertising. No one was complaining about DMD's taste (except the wienies that can't drink diet drinks) Since it is the only thing I drink, I now have to find somewhere else to spend my money - and will still be dissatisfied. The one and only habit I had is now shot to hell. Thanks a lot Pepsico! Hmm I don't even know where to start with this- I realized you are pissed but this is one of the most inept posts I have seen in awhile.

Firstly they did consult consumer- it was tested, and retested, and then prolly 20 times more. They dont just make these kinda changes on a whim. Sure sometimes testing isnt enough- but I'm sorry to say that the growth shown pretty much proves that they made the right choice. They may have lost a few die hards but they have more than made up for you with new Dew drinkers- a bummer true but good biz sence.

As for the "wenies" who cant handle diets- well I'm not sure about that- usually I hear it the other way around (Diet is way more female oriented)

So in conclusion- I feel your pain, but Pepsi made a carefully planned and thought out choice- DD was simply not competitive anymore.

CStoreCatMan
06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Agreed.
Cobbga - if you read through this thread (or the other Diet Dew hate thread), you'll see where another dissatisfied customer called PepsiCo's service line and recapped the conversation. Pepsi DID test, retest, consult consumers, etc. To think otherwise is just ridiculous...And Surge is right...the "tuned up taste" version of Diet Dew has been growing phenomenally since the reformulation. Although Pepsi upset some consumers with the change, they are selling more Diet Dew as a result!

purpguy
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
A couple of points:
1. The formula change has been supported by a fairly heavy ad campaign, and that big giveaway. I don't remember ANY advertising of DMD before the change. This could have something to do with the reported increase in sales at convenience stores, though I would still like to know the source of the data. I think total sales from all sources for the rest of the year will be a better read, once the novelty wears off.

2. Some of the earlier posts mention that the old DMD wasn't selling well. I don't think that's the case - the annual top 10 lists published by Beverage Digest show that old DMD sales were increasing over the last 2 or three years, to the point that in 2005 it tied for 10th spot in the list.

To me, the reason for the formula change is more likely that regular Dew sales (like most non-diet brands) have been flattening out, and Pepsico wanted to have a diet alternative for current regular Dew drinkers to go to as part of the shift towards diet drinks.

Deryn98431
08-16-2006, 09:28 PM
I am totally addicted to REGULAR Mountain Dew. I drink three or four a day. That's 680 useless calories a day. I did try Diet Mountain Dew before the tweak, and it was completely and utterly disgusting, and completely and utterly unlike regular Mountain Dew. Talk about a bad aftertaste ... and beforetaste, and duringtaste. I know it's upsetting to have a drink you love changed on you, but hey, you people: If this new formulation can get more people like me, overweight LARGELY because of these 680 extra stupid calories a day, drinking it -- isn't that a good thing?

David J.
10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
The guy who I first worked with at my job was sent to the hospital because he is a diabetic, and he drank way too many Mt. Dews in a day, and will not touch the Diet one.

I tried the new diet, and it was really close to the regular one.