PDA

View Full Version : 16 oz energy drinks

Goldmember
02-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Can some of you guys out west discuss the 16 oz energy drink market. I am on the east coast and have not seen too many of these hit the shelves yet. The only place I see these products is at the 7-11s in my market, but they are not dsd items (they seem to be coming from 7-11 headquarters).

Our company has an opportunity to distribute one of these 16 oz cans, but I am not sure if it will take off or not.

Which ones are selling? Who are the top performers? Is it Rockstar and/or Monster? How are they performing vs the RBs, amps, a-rushs, and sum poosies of the world?

I like the concept: twice the energy + same price as RB.

Bottom line: Are they worth the time and effort that typically goes into introducing a new brand?

fusion
02-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Well, in my opinion, good concept or not, if the brand doesn't have recognition among it's target audience, 100% more product than the well-known competition is not going to guarantee you a lot of sales. People will still reach for the RB or the A-Rush or KMX, because they know the brand.

People who buy energy drinks are probably not the same people who are out looking to get the best "bang for their buck" ie, saving money or stretching their dollar further. Most kids don't pinch pennies.. They spend freely.

ResQ Rob
02-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Rockstar really took off out here on the West Coast, simply because they are such a close copy to Red Bull, at half the price. I don't think the other 16oz have done as well, Monster is probably in second because they have so much brand and distribution behind them (Hansen's) and US is just garbage trying to jump on the 9/11 bandwagon rather than the Red Bull knock off bandwagon. I would love to offer a 16oz version of our drink (ResQ) no one has offered their drink in both a 8.2oz and a 16oz, probably because of pricing conflicts.

Sealude
02-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Blue Ox has with thier OX XL 16oz line. Same flavors as the originals but now in 16 oz. I don't really understand this move though. It will kill any 8.3 oz sales they may have had.

Ron Swedelson
02-04-2003, 06:56 PM
What, Blue Ox actualy had some 8.3 oz. sales?? WOW!!!
Yeah, Sobe A-Rush is comming out with a 16 oz. can, RockStar and Monster are leading the pack in the big cans though. Others like USA and Crazy Larys are around cause they opened up their checkbooks and got some authorisations. I think this new craze will start to diminish the entries at the 8.3 oz level, but will start new shelf programs for the 16 oz. cans. Well, at least my product will fit in the new shelf glides.

<OnPremise>
02-26-2003, 05:02 PM
A gentleman out here in Atlanta was going to put quarter of a mil into resQ to bring distributorship to Atlanta. I actually tried your drink, it wasn't bad. What happened? Last I had heard was that they shelfed the project.

Originally posted by ResQ Rob:
Rockstar really took off out here on the West Coast, simply because they are such a close copy to Red Bull, at half the price. I don't think the other 16oz have done as well, Monster is probably in second because they have so much brand and distribution behind them (Hansen's) and US is just garbage trying to jump on the 9/11 bandwagon rather than the Red Bull knock off bandwagon. I would love to offer a 16oz version of our drink (ResQ) no one has offered their drink in both a 8.2oz and a 16oz, probably because of pricing conflicts.

LiquidSales
03-04-2003, 08:23 PM
I just received a POS report from Vegas, and 3 of the top 5 are bigger cans (2 16oz., 1 12oz.) I can email it to you if you want to take a look at it.

ResQ Rob
03-05-2003, 04:15 PM
OnPremise,
we have had several investors step up, then back out. The Atlanta guy ended up wasting 3+ months of our time, as we found out he was banashied by many big distributors like Sysco! Still working on landing some big deals.

We will be in Vegas booth #9169.

Fixx
03-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Well, as you know, or may not know. In the US there is a national trend for 'we want more with a value'. So, to say that going bigger on an energy drink (except for Red Bull) is not the right move, is the wrong decision.
The 16oz can has its market because it is 16oz for $1.99. From what I have seen so far, on the west coast is, Rock Star sells and Monster sells.
However, availability, like any product is key. So, what I am saying to you is, if you take this product on, be sure to get it to 80% of your accounts in a very short time. If you can do this, then I believe, from my experience, that you have a 16oz can energy drink business.

Later

sodasommelier
03-28-2003, 01:24 AM
Fixx is correct about that. That's what we do with our bottled versions of stuff. I'm not into the 16oz can so I'm going to forego that part of the market; also I suspect that it'll be the next big rat race in the energy market. So I'll just stick to my niche; I have many many loyal followers. But if you're going into the 16oz can you should follow Fixx's advice...

OnPremise
04-15-2003, 11:43 AM
ResQ Bob. Why'd he back out? He is supposedly heralded as "making his first million with Sysco" and "putting 250,000 into ResQ". I actually saw his picture in a magazine as "local millionaires" holding a ResQ. You have a good drink.

ResQ Rob
04-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Yeah that was pretty funny timing that our investors friends picture was on the cover of that magazine, just as it was published we broke off our relationship w/ him. He may have made his first Million at Sysco, but he definitely didn't make his second there.

Thanks for the complement on our drink! Since the Vegas show, things have been really cranking. We may not have the budget to flush like some of these other companies, but hell if we dont have a great drink! ;)

[ 04-15-2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: ResQ Rob ]

Ron Swedelson
04-15-2003, 10:51 PM
here is a bit of a reversal, in both size and respect. Rock Star is now being offered in an 8.4 oz can. What is this crap? No store is going to sell it any cheaper than a Red Bull. So if a Rock Star is at $2.25 (16 oz), and the 8 oz for $1.99, I bet 9 out of 10 will buy the big rock star. I liked Rock Star before because they may have followed the same concept as everyone else with their formula, but at least they went big and did something on their own. But now they are just turning into a me-too drink. Can anyone help me understand why they would even do this?

marshall
04-20-2003, 02:14 AM
The marketing concept might be "party like a Rockstar" but with 29 carbs per serving and 2 servings per 16 oz. can, looking like a "rockstar" does not appear likely.

boodoo
07-01-2003, 08:16 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else think that Rock Star has sort of an "apple" taste to it? As energy drinks go I kind of like the taste. Now if only I could get my hands on some Apple Beer......

PopNutz
07-02-2003, 09:48 PM
boodoo, it's funny you brought up Apple Beer! I was talking with some old friends today about Apple Beer and how we used to love to walk to the store and buy it. I did a search on ask.com and their website came up ane you can order the stuff there. It doesn't look like the exact same Apple Beer that we used to drink but I'm still going to order some and see if it's anything like we loved as kids.

Smooth_Sippins
09-19-2003, 08:42 PM
I got hooked on Jones Energy about 2 months ago after having had Rockstar and a couple of nameless clones. I stopped drinking coffee around the same time. Good stuff, gives you quite the lift and even though it's 16 ounces, you're left wishing there were more in the can.

ktwdallas
10-03-2003, 01:46 AM
I turned down an opportunity to carry the 16oz cans. First, if bars and restaurants are complaining about waste from Red Bull from an 8oz can (and turning to the bag-in-the-box for their guns), then why would they go to a 16oz can? Second, is it just me does a 16oz can just seem to destroy that whole trendy image? It's like a 40oz of beer... just for the kiddies wanting a cheap buzz. I saw the Blue Ox 16 and all I kept thinking was "it looks like a Schlitz can that a wino would carry around"

<Sell2k1>
10-30-2003, 11:54 PM
Here In Minnesota Monster is the best seller.
We also have Fuse Omega and Sobe No-Fear. American bottling just took on Rockstar but the sales are not as good as Monster. most of the places I sell to have a whole shelf of the 16oz cans. Here Speedway sells Monster, Rockstar, Fuse Omega, and Sobe No-Fear.

Coco Rico
10-31-2003, 11:10 AM
Sell2k1,

Are you saying Monster is the best selling energy drink, or the best selling 16oz? How has the Fuse Omega been doing?

CR

Red Sox fan
10-31-2003, 02:49 PM
It is my understanding that Rockstar developed out an 8.4 oz at the request of several large on-premise accounts. These clubs wanted to keep Rockstar but did not want to sell a 16oz can over the bar for people who were not using it as a mixer.

<sell2k1>
11-01-2003, 07:48 PM
coco,
best 16 oz seller in MN is Monster. 8 oz, Red Bull is still the top bull. Fuse Omega is still a slow deveoper but seems to be passing No Fear