PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Red Bull Please

boycottredbull
04-14-2003, 02:22 PM
I just want to bring this to everyone's attention. Red bull needs to be boycotted for a very unfair business practice they have been utilizing in order to dominate the energy drink market. Red Bull has a lot of money, and they can use their money to start unecessary lawsuits against club owners of every size who won't carry red bull. Their lawsuits claim that a given place of business uses red bull's name to sell drinks, due to their brand name dominance, but they actually sell a cheaper energy drink without informing the consumer. They deliver their papers over and over, taking club owners to court, and eventually the cost of legal fees outwieghts the right of the club owner to keep a product out of their place of business. They force clubs into buying Red Bull. Until they stop these practices people really need to help and boycott Red Bull and give other companys a fair chance in the energy drink market. Please respond and send emails to the address posted to this account and I can add more detail with any questions you have........and please pass the word!

ResQ Rob
04-14-2003, 03:11 PM
It's amazing to see the muscles Red bull can flex. Even if they do loose a big account, the will come back and literally bribe the club w/ promotional items like bar stools, or even a entire DJ Booth! They also force clubs to sign an exclusivity agreement, to me that is absurd. How many different Vodkas, and/or Rums does a bar carry? More than one, that's for sure! How many different beers? Imagine if Budweiser forced bars to only carry Bud, that would be ridiculous. I dont have too much sympathy for the copy cat drinks like Roaring Lion and/or Rockstar, but drinks like mine, Atomic-X, AMP, A-Rush are all totally different drinks than RB, and should be able to be sold along side of RB all day. Personally I dont care if a bar we sell to carries RB, give people a choice. It's great to have exclusivity w/ an account, but not if you are going to have to step on toes and burn bridges w/ the retailers to get it.

Ron Swedelson
04-14-2003, 03:23 PM
I think that is crap. If anything a club should then just order 1 case or Red Bull just to say they carry it, and let it run out of stock each week. At least they can say they ordered it. But I can see their lawsuit, not that I agree with it. Coke tried to sue my father (7-11 owner). He was ordering slurpee syrup from another company. So Coke threw a lawsuit at my father saying he was selling Coke Slurpee and similar product but not using their slurpee. My father would not of beat it and he knew it. A big company like that has too much money and can do what they want with it. They knew they would loose to much busines from his 3 stores over the long run, so eventualy droped it. But you can see how big companies with bigger check books can almost do what they want. It sucks though.

fusion
04-14-2003, 04:26 PM
I can see Red Bull's point. If you order a "Red Bull and Vodka" you expect to get Red Bull, not Amp, A-Rush, or KMX.

What the club needs to do is develop their own drink with a catchy name, and not rely on the Red Bull name to sell the drink.

Sort of along the lines of false advertising. Wouldn't you hate to spend $50,000 on a new BMW, only to find out it's a Yugo with a BMW logo taped to the front?

I don't think these suits are about dominating the market. They are about protecting the Red Bull name and image.

ResQ Rob
04-14-2003, 04:35 PM
It's one thing if the bar is advertising they sell RB, then serve something else. But it is unrealistic to expect a bartender to correct someone every time they order a RB, and say "dont you mean a Rockstar?"

karks88
04-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Yeah, can you imagine a world where someone orders a Red Bull and actually gets something that tastes good instead?!? Still, if someone would want to order one of those things, they should be getting the genuine Red Bull or be told that RB isn't on the menu.

Sealude
04-14-2003, 06:49 PM
I have encountered this practice many times. If a person orders a " Red Bull and Vodka" than that is waht they should get. Many bars pass off other energy drinks as Red Bull. This is what Red Bull North America is trying to stop. More power to drinks trying to make it on their own name, but they shouldnt get sales through fooling the consumer.

sodasommelier
04-14-2003, 11:38 PM
Maybe the way to get back at them is to put up a big banner that says "Red Bull is a predatory evil company that tried to force us to buy their overpriced junk and then sued us when we used a decent substitute after they brainwashed the public into ordering energy drinks by their name". Then under that "We proudly do not serve Red Bull and would appreciate your not mentioning that brand name in our establishment as it breeds resentment. If you say 'No Bull' to the bartender you get a $1 discount on your drink"

That way you are ensuring that someone doesn't specifically order "Red Bull" and get something else; catering to their 'request'. Jerks!

SplitLevelP
04-15-2003, 12:08 AM
AMEN! I'm all for protecting a product but we all know where all the lawsuit scare tactics can let to a market washout of other brands due to red tape. Not cool. that is bull. now if you want red bull and ask for that if that is a option then by all means your drink should contain red bull or you should be alarted if not avilable BUT if you don't request that in the USA you damn well deserve to have a choice if a other company can FAIRLY market there drink in the same joint.Bottom line let THE PEOPLE decide not some coy ass boardroom tactic to use strongarm court & suit threats to corner market scare off others utimatly move product. cause that is not redbull that bulls**t.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by boycottredbull:
Their lawsuits claim that a given place of business uses red bull's name to sell drinks, due to their brand name dominance, but they actually sell a cheaper energy drink without informing the consumer. They deliver their papers over and over, taking club owners to court, and eventually the cost of legal fees outwieghts the right of the club owner to keep a product out of their place of business. They force clubs into buying Red Bull. Until they stop these practices people really need to help and boycott Red Bull and give other companys a fair chance in the energy drink market.that has to be one of the stupidest things i've ever seen on here. boycott this company because they do well! boycott them because they're smart enough to protect their brand name recognition.

i know that people ask you for a kleenex and you give them a puff's, when people ask for coke at a wendy's you might get pepsi and you might go "rollerblading" but not on rollerblade brand inline-skates, but in the case of red bull and whatever call drinks are made with it at the bars nowadays, red bull is too young of a brand to not be concerned about this.

i know a lot of people here are embittered. it's okay. i like being bitter too. i wish i was the guy that started red bull. that's what i'd be bitter about.

now, mr. boycottredbull, got any westlaw on this? or is this some sham here?

call me a doubter.

Ron Swedelson
04-15-2003, 09:45 PM
sort of like I always ask for Diet Coke in a resturant, and they do tell me that they only have Diet Pepsi (in the cases were Diet Coke are not avalible). More name association than anything. If I go to a club and want some vodka with a crapy energy drink, I too will ask for a Red Bull and vodka. Hopefuly, I only did that because I already had to much to drink and was not thinking properly. Even a simple sign in most bars that a bartender can point to that says what energy drinks they have (if it applies).

puck
04-15-2003, 11:39 PM
Are all you people on drugs? This company single-handedly created the Energy drink market. They spent the money - millions - to pave the way for pipsqueak upstarts like Rockstar and all the other me-toos and when they get pissed off that some wannabe tries to use the good name they've built to sell some passed-off weasel piss you think they're being predatory.
How do you think Rockstar and Roaring Lion are selling their crap into bars? They're telling the bartender or club owner 'it's just like Red Bull - you can charge the same, it costs less and the customer will never know the difference.' Well, that's against the law. Red Bull has never forced anyone to carry their product - but they have damn sure forced people to stop passing off second-rate crap as their brand.
Go back a few years - Coke and Pepsi sued the ass off a bunch of people who's attitude was 'so what, it's just cola'. When you order a Coke and they don't have it, they ask 'is Pepsi ok? Just how tough is it for some loser barkeep to give their customer the respect to do the same for energy drinks?
Just how loud would you pinheads howl if you ordered a 12 year old Glenfiddich and the bartender poured you a cheap imitation? You'd be calling your attorneys, the brand owner wouldn't have to.
If I order a Bawls, or a Rockstar, or a Shark, that's what I want and that's what I expect to get - and with all your sour grapes, you do too.
Idiots.

[ 04-15-2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: puck ]

Ron Swedelson
04-16-2003, 09:49 PM
Puck, for once Im sort of on your side. But you were calling everyone and idiot, right? I agree with the point of asking for Red Bull and not getting one. If some one asks cause they want it, or just cause thats what they think the name of the drink is, then that is what they should get. The few times when I get a diet Pepsi and they didn't tell me it was not Diet Coke, I get pretty irritated. If I know what to expect, then fine. But don't try to slip it by me. On the other hand, I don't like when big companies try to slap around the little guy (not Jones, they need to be slapped around). But I do understand the point. Maybe I am stuck in the middle. I don't like the lawsuit, but I understand the argument fully. Any bad feelings I have towards Red Bull is mainly jelousy. Other than the taste, I just can't get past that part, but whatever. Red Bull did start it with the up and down the steet campain and the girls (thank god for them) and definatly paved the way for the other drinks. But what I would like to know about the lawsuits. Is Red Bull suing for damages, and if so, how much per account. Or just sueing to make the club serve Red Bull or make it clear they do not carry the drink? Any answers out there. Puck, your are Energized Dist. right? Tell you what, just carry my brand in Kern County and we can call it even.

<Itseasy>
04-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Just put Sumpoosie in the bar. I promise if you have Sumpoosie people will order that before RB. :cool:

Goldmember
04-16-2003, 11:05 PM
Their course of action is to
A) Verbally notify the account through their OPMs that it is illegal to pass off the other **** as the brand Red Bull

If that doesnt work then they
B) Reiterate what they have told the club owner in writing

then
C) Threaten a lawsuit in writing with the ultimate goal of just getting the club owner to wilt and stop the "passing off"

To the best of my knowledge they are not looking for damages, just to halt the whole practice of "passing off" in the account

A couple of other things to think about in this debate: If you are a RB & vodka drinker think how pissed you would be if you went into a club and ordered that drink and got KMX & vodka for $8.00. This has happened to me before & I sent the drink back completely pissed off. Remember that Bull addicts can sniff out a phony pretty easily.

Also, what if you were trying RB & vodka for the first time and they passed off KMX on you and you thought it sucked. You definitely wouldnt buy Red bull ever again (especially at $8.00 per drink).

I think the Bull is justified in this matter. They are the ones who invented the whole on-prem market & they are the ones that spend hundreds of millions on TV and radio in the US every year. They have worked way too hard on this area of marketing to let some guy with a bag in the box get-rich-quick scheme come in and steal this business away from them. I certainly dont see kmx and hansens making any tv ads.

As far as exclusivity goes, thats a decision the club owner has to make. He/she has to decide if variety is more important to their business than getting some Bull Love (free cases) for not having any variety in their establishment.

Does anyone know what Cokes policy is when someone passes off another cola when the customer orders a rum & coke??

sodasommelier
04-17-2003, 12:49 AM
I will agree on two things; first if someone specifically wants a brand such as Red Bull or even [perish the thought] Jones and asks for it by name, they should I suppose be told that all that's available is something that is similar. I think that if a place advertises "Red Bull + Vodka" and serves something else, the lawsuit is totally justified just as if they serve Popov instead of Absolut if it says "Absolut". As for the suit against a place that perhaps was busy when someone ordered this drink in haste... well, that may be technically justified but on the other hand a barkeep doesn't want to have to memorize the brands of everything in the place; it's one of those things. I'd say it was probably a sting operation rather than a customer uproar. But anyway, some of these companies try to make their product 'generic' in a sense and then they run around and try to strongarm anyone who falls into the gray area. I think if you draw the line at listing it in the menu as such, you can forgive some poorly educated barkeep who doesn't explain that it's another brand and the poor owner gets zapped for his employee's ignorance.

And I will also say that yes Puck is right that Red Bull basically created that niche and justly deserves that legacy. I don't care for the drink and I never buy it but I have always had respect for the fact that they managed not only to create that niche but to get the public to be willing to pay out so much, and habitually, for that product.

I think also that all of the imitations of Red Bull that have not only similar flavor but also the thimble cans and some stupid color/animal combination are truly an embarrassment.

I think that there are alot of energy drinks in glass bottles that are more attractive, better tasting, and more effective than Red Bull but there's no denying that without what Red Bull did, some of these probably wouldn't exist in the first place. So we do owe Red Bull the honor of having set up the energy drink market.

As for lawsuits, there are the just cases and then there's that Trevor Law Group. In my opinion lawsuits in this country are a bit overdone so that's why I pity that bar but if they are advertising their drink as 'made with Red Bull' then I'd even side with Red Bull on that. But if Red Bull just sent in some clown to order it that way and then zap the bar owner, then I think that is just strongarming.

King Bev
04-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Oh Jeez, there goes Sodasommoeliererier again- "Mr. Know it All". Blah, Blah blah. Rockford Files must be off tonite. :eek:
Its good to be the King and see right thru his bull ****.

puck
04-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Danny and Ron et al. I may have been a wee bit PO'd when I wrote that, but I stand by it. Red Bull has never, to my knowledge, set up stings and used them to force a club to carry the brand - Goldmember's assessment is exactly right. Love the brand or hate it, the public has a right to get what they're paying for. Any bar that ignores a verbal and 2 written requests to stop passing off deserves the legal pain.
BTW, the 'idiots' remark was aimed at all the people criticizing Red Bull as predatory for protecting their brand. I wonder how loudly they'd howl if it was their ox being gored?

ResQ Rob
04-17-2003, 05:00 PM
It's interesting that "boycottredbull" has not chimed in here. :confused:

puck
04-17-2003, 09:28 PM
He's probably one of the losers trying to flog Roaring Lion and is getting pissed off that he can't get bartenders to pass it off as Red Bull anymore, so it's truly worthless.
Roaring Lion is made up of a bunch of people who couldn't cut it at Red Bull and it's distributors, and they just can't stand the fact that they can't hurt the brand however much they try.

You know who you are, guys. Get a real job.

OnPremise
04-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey just out of curiousity, what is it they're putting in the guns in some cities? I heard it isn't exactly Red Bull but an imitation by Matador? I thought they are supposed to stick to Red Bull?

sodasommelier
04-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Reading the names of some of these drinks reminds me of "Chief Screaming Chicken" from the Get Smart show...

Ron Swedelson
04-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Hey Puck, quick question. A few years ago I was in So. Lake Tahoe and a store on the CA side was selling "Flying Horse" I think. They said they were one of the first stores here to sell it, and that it was from one of the founders of Red Bull. Can you tell me if that is true, and if it is, why hasn't he been able to take it further in the market. That is the only store in 2 years that I have seen the product.

Sealude
04-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Flying Horse is or was a major brand in Europe. Last I had checked, which was quite awhile back, it was number 2 in the standings.

Ron Swedelson
04-21-2003, 12:51 PM
standing were? Dark Dog claims they are the #2 drink in the market, and Red Devil claims they are #2 worldwide (at one time claimed #1 in the world), I know it helps the comapny overall with their marketing and budgeting if they sell a crap load of product over seas. But I am interested about here in the US and CA markets. Any ideas?

SURGE
04-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Wow i never thought I would agree with the RB guys but they are right on this one. If you order a RedBull with vodka you damn well better get a RedBull with vodka. I mean I hate the stuff with a passion but its only fair. If I order a SURGE and I get a Dew I would be pissed. Same goes with any soda. 9/10 times I will still order it if its similar (IE Coke, Pepsi, RC) but i want to know what I'm getting.

SURGE
04-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Wow i never thought I would agree with the RB guys but they are right on this one. If you order a RedBull with vodka you damn well better get a RedBull with vodka. I mean I hate the stuff with a passion but its only fair. If I order a SURGE and I get a Dew I would be pissed. Same goes with any soda. 9/10 times I will still order it if its similar (IE Coke, Pepsi, RC) but i want to know what I'm getting.

Returnables Rock
04-23-2003, 06:24 PM
What's all the hype with Red Bull? It doesn't even taste good. I guess the same factors that sell Perrier sell Red Bull: way overpriced, tastes like crap, and it makes you "cool" if you drink it. If you guys couldn't tell by now I hate Perrier and Red Bull. :D

sodasommelier
04-24-2003, 01:31 AM
Hey ready for this???? I've got a brown returnable/refillable bottle of Red Bull on my display at home that was bottled in Austria. I do agree that Red Bull tastes awful and there are better energy drinks out there but with all the hype and it usually being in cans, it's kind of cool to have that bottle...

Returnables Rock
04-24-2003, 01:52 AM
Hey do you have a scan of that pic you could post or send to me? That bottle sounds interesting.

Ron Swedelson
04-24-2003, 12:56 PM
It is their Thai style bottle? Or something totaly different?

<Boston Bob>
05-24-2003, 08:27 PM
Although what Red Bull does is reprehensible in a way, it is entirely legal.

Bud cannot do this because regulations in the booze biz prohibit exclusivity. Soft drink companies can pay for exclusivity i.e. Coke or Pepsi stadium deals.

Anyway, one new product that put energy in any cocktail in a very tasty way is called Zygo.

I discovered it in New York and it has come to Boston. No, I do not work for the company. It is based in NYC.

Like all, I hate to see one company get a lock on the market. Without new products that get successful, BevNet would not exist in a world of Coke, Pepsi, Bud, Miller, Smirnoff, and Bacardi hegemony.

Bobby from Beantown

I'll-raise-you-one
05-25-2003, 06:16 PM
Hey Boston, Boycotting them is legal too and trust me, they are evil.

stinkfinger
05-25-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by &lt;Boston Bob&gt;:

Bud cannot do this because regulations in the booze biz prohibit exclusivity. Soft drink companies can pay for exclusivity i.e. Coke or Pepsi stadium deals.

Anyway, one new product that put energy in any cocktail in a very tasty way is called Zygo.

I discovered it in New York and it has come to Boston. No, I do not work for the company. It is based in NYC.

Bobby from BeantownHorsesh&t. You clowns have some kind of financial stake in the company.

How do you explain Rolling Rock having pouring rights at Heinz Field and Coors being the official beer of Daytona Speedway?

Sealude
05-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Ya how can Bud be shut out of Coors field and Pepsi center in Denver??

I'll-raise-you-one
05-26-2003, 02:49 PM
Personal Stake? No, I just put a little meaning to what I do day to day. Instead of mindlessly pushing the companies that pour the most money into brainwashing I get to work in a place with so much notariety that I can choose what I sell. As a bartender I have respect and admiration from the customers. They are approaching me, and funny enough if the pitch is genuine as to what I think they should drink they'll order it and they'll come back to order it. You know what? I do Have a financial stake in it. That little sales pitch that shows customers I care about what they are drinking, and want them to try something new makes me a few hundred dollars more a night in tips. Thats what ZYGO has done for me.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-30-2003, 09:19 PM
mmmmmmm. i like red bull. mmmmmmmmmmm

<anXredbullRep>
06-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Hey Guys!!
Just a few things.....Earlier in the postings someone said that Bud does not strong arm Bars to carry just Bud products. Thats Horse crap!!
I left Key West Fl 6 months ago as the Red Bull Account Mgr. and Bud does pull that crap down there, not very successful at it but damn close to being exclusive in several bars.

Second, what about the RB reps out on the street making things happen and some wanna-be energy drink trys to jump in on his/her hard work? Lets think about the little people!

Third, I do know of SEVERAL clubs in KW that are selling a few different "energy drinks cocktails/shots" and have named them according to the ingredient, as well as priced them accordinly to the buy in. Might I say that the most expensive is the Red Bull cocktail. The others do sell as much and maybe more than RB, but guess what....the customer has a choice. Without any confusion.

Finally, the two words "RED BULL" might not always be the two words you say in refering to an energy drink, things could change. I remember when it was XEROX ..now its COPIES/COPY, until RED BULL becomes big enough to live with the fact that "RED BULL" means energy drink (like "coke" in rum n coke means whatever is on the gun) you will see and hear of lawsuits all around the country and world.

WOW, can you imagine ordering an "energy drink n vodka"? If the place doesnt have RB.
I guess that is what Dietrich wants, huh? Hell no...he wants his product in all places exclusive!
It still amazes me how POMPUS RB is. I think it will be the death of the company. but oh well....

Boris
06-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by boycottredbull:
Boycott Red Bull Please Sure.

horace1bull
02-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Roaring Lion WOW!?!?!? for a company who has a REALLY GREAT product it seems that their owners have no idea how to run a business. Did any of them go to business school? I think first year first semester MBA students could make this a real brand and hit the almighty Red Bull square in the taurines. I heard they used to run Red Bull or something. If they did I guess we know why they aren't running Red Bull anymore: complete incompetence and a Roaring disappointment.

Christian Prickett
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
How do you explain Rolling Rock having pouring rights at Heinz Field and Coors being the official beer of Daytona Speedway?

Have you been to Pittsburgh? Heinz Field has MANY different beer venders and there isn't ONE that is exclusive. They serve Bud, Coors, Miller, and Pittsburgh Brewing beers among some others I've seen.

Just because your the offical doesn't mean your the only one.

greg
02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Have you been to Pittsburgh? Heinz Field has MANY different beer venders and there isn't ONE that is exclusive. They serve Bud, Coors, Miller, and Pittsburgh Brewing beers among some others I've seen.

Just because your the offical doesn't mean your the only one.

You do realize you are responding to a post written almost 6 years ago, don;t you??????