PDA

View Full Version : West Coast vs. East Coast

Red Sox fan
10-29-2003, 01:18 AM
I recently became a rep for an energy drink company. My territory is primarily in the Northeast. Since I started working I have been researching the energy drink category to get a better grasp on its history and where it might be headed.
I have learned that most of the top energy drinks on the market today (i.e. REd Bull) were originally luanched on the West Coast. In addition, it is clear that sales of energy drinks on the West Coast far exceed sales on the East Coast.
My question is: Will the energy drink wave (fad?) eventually hit on the east coast? (Just as other fashion/music trends that have typically started out west and eventually came east.) Or put another way, do you think energy drinks will eventually catch on in the east like they have on the west coast or are there other factors (i.e. weather, population) that will keep this from happening.

Ron Swedelson
10-31-2003, 01:54 AM
The only reason Red Bull started here was because the broker and one of the big wigs lived right here in the San Francisco Bay Area. Many drinks start in New York and other east coast big markets. We are just more trend driven I guess.

Boris
10-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Yeah, We are home to one of the big players(Coke) here on the east coast. And all up and down the east coast you see different stuff. Alot of neat weird stuff in Canada. You can still find orbitz in Canada if you look hard enough.

East Coast 2
West Coast 1

Coco Rico
10-31-2003, 11:17 AM
On the west coast (particularly California and the Southwest), seasonality doesn't play as large a role, and so foot traffic through off-premise channels of trade isn't as affected as it is by the winters in the Midwest and East Coast. However, in reality it's just a matter of awareness right now. The West Coast has been exposed to the energy drink phenomenon far longer than the East Coast. It's only a matter of time before the East Coast catches up.

CR

sodasommelier
11-06-2003, 01:01 AM
Oh man... orbitz in Canada? Are you implying that our Northern FRiends are nothing but a 99¬Ęstore garbage can for Americans?

Well onto energy drinks... yes if you want to really have some fun in the East let me set you up with a great package of energy and nostalgia that will blow everyone else out of the water. Sure Red Bull will do its thing but our stuff is great fun and you can surely make a good living doing it if you are motivated and a good business manager.