PDA

View Full Version : Which One's Work?

PopNutz
01-09-2004, 05:40 PM
I've been reading in this forum for several months now how great one energy drink is and how it taste better and looks better and mixes better than all the rest, but really do any of the so called "energy drinks" work? When I say work I'm talking about doing what the product claims to do.

I like to try every new drink I see, wether it be a soft drink or an energy drink or maybe even a new tea or water, I like to try them all. The thing I've noticed about energy drinks is they all claim to give you a boost of energy and most claim to last for a few hours or more but just how many really do that? I would like to hear other peoples opinions about this. Which one's really work for you? Which one's really do taste the best? And which one's mix the best if you do drink them with your favorite spirit?

As for my opinion I've noticed that very few work at all, most are just some herb loaded kool-aid. Red Bull does work for me. I've never been a big fan of coffee and to get me going in the morning I do like to have a Red Bull. I also like the taste even though most here don't. It reminds me of a candy that we used to get when I was a kid, I can't remember the name but I loved the taste. I've also had it mixed with a few different spirits and it taste good with most everything I've tried it with but I have to say I like it with Malibu Rum the best, a friend in Fla. turned me onto it that way. The only other energy drink that really gave me a good boost was 180 and Sobe AR did o.k. but they just didn't seem to last and I felt as though I had hit a wall after a couple of hours. Several of the people I bike with swore by Amp until they tried Red Bull by my urging. I've never really tried but a couple of others mixed with anything and they just didn't seem to mix real well. KMX was really nasty mixed with vodka and when I tried Sum Poosie it gave no boost at all and then I tried it as a mixer and wasn't impressed with it that way either. I've tried Rock Star, both Pit Bull's, 180, AMP, KMX, Monster, Sum Poosie, Dicken Cider, Dark Dog, Bull Fighter, Blue OX and could probably name 20 more but really which one works for you?

Energydude
01-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Popnutz, I think you bring up a valid point but I have to admit some of your conclusions are astounding. You like the way RB mixes with liquor but SumPoosie does not.....or not as well?
You have to be kidding.... SumPoosie was designed to mix with liquor RB is urine yellow who was that designed for. I think even more important is the fact that SumPoosie is an American made product and follows FDA GUIDELINES most of the others you mentioned are foriegn products and do not have to follow FDA GUIDELINES. I can tell you that you are right some will work better for you than others find what works for you. Personally I would not be caught dead walking around with a tiny little can gently sipping out of it. ;)

PopNutz
01-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Personally I would not be caught dead walking around with a tiny little can gently sipping out of it. Who sips Red Bull? It's gone before I get out of the parking lot LOL.

As far as talking about FDA GUIDELINES, well that's been beaten like a dead horse in another thread and you still don't get it.

You have to be kidding.... SumPoosie was designed to mix with liquor RB is urine yellow who was that designed for. I like Mt. Dew and some say it's urine yellow (although I would have to say alien urine yellow cause I've never seen urine that bright ;) ) To me Red Bull when poured in a glass looks more like apple juice than urine. I guess some sells people will say anything to slam the leader of the pack.

I didn't start the thread to slam your brand but can you really say that Sum Poosie really gives you a boost? And be as honest as you know how. It doesn't work for me or for anyone I know that's tried it. In my opinion some of these drinks shouldn't even be called energy drinks.

Energydude
01-10-2004, 10:26 AM
I can say it works for most because the caffine is as high as it can be and still follow FDA guidelines. I have to say RB is a lot like a McDonalds Cheeseburger both of them are the leader in their markets but are they the best??? Far from it, others have not done very well because they just really do not care. Coke and Pepsi make so much money selling sugared water they just don't see the need to make a push a better product.... I guess :rolleyes: If it were me and I had all those millions I would have smashed RB. I can tell you this In many areas RB has paid thousands of dollars to SumPoosie thrown out because they do not consider others a real threat. When you put SumPoosie side by side with RB in a bar RB always loses. ;)

cph
01-10-2004, 10:36 AM
I think it's mostly the caffeine (and the sugar) that does most of the work. All that other stuff(taurine, etc)--I don't know, I'd have to look it up....

cph
01-10-2004, 12:56 PM
How much caffeine is in your drink?

According to http://melchman.net/guides/OunceForOunce.html ,

a regular Coke is about 45 mg/oz, Jolt is about 71,
and Afri-Cola has a whopping 100 mg/oz of caffeine

Still less than coffee (250 mg/oz)

Of course if you're used to drinking a lot of caffeine, it may have less of an effect on you....

[ 01-10-2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: cph ]

Energydude
01-10-2004, 05:54 PM
ummmmmm......... cph .....what kind of coffee are you drinking???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

cph
01-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Oops....should have checked the chart again....coffee (drip) is more like 115-175 per
7 ounce cup!

all those other figures for the sodas are not
per oz, but per 12 oz serving!

(that'll teach me to post too fast on the way out the door)

Ron Swedelson
01-12-2004, 12:44 PM
coffee has between 45-100 mg. 45 if cheap instant, 100 if very strong like a french press or something. And I think Afri cola has about 150-180 mgs. per bottle.

Robot
01-14-2004, 09:33 PM
i really enjoy Sobe Adrenaline (8oz), Sobe No Fear (16 oz), Red Bull, Mt. Dew Amp..

KMX i really enjoy the taste of, but its caffeine content is lower compared to AMP, Red Bull and Sobe's I believe.

I generally buy cases of Red Bull at Sam's, since that is the cheapest to get energy drinks in bulk.. and will buy the others when I am out driving and feel like one.

i live on xs
02-11-2004, 05:19 PM
hello everyone,
i find that the energy drinks that have sugar tend to bost me faster but then i also loose that energy faster. So it depends on what you are looking for, if you just need some energy to get you through a sprint, then one with sugar is what you need, if you dont care about the weight gain issue with sugar and carbs, but if you are looking for sustained energy, try an energy drink with no sugar and no carbs. that will give you more of an "i feel energized" feeling instead of "I FEEL LIKE JUMPING AROUND, AHHH" feeling.