PDA

View Full Version : Why so much Salt !

Energydude
05-04-2004, 03:14 AM
I have noticed that many energy drinks are really high in Sodium. Why? If you are trying to drink healthy it does not make sense to drink all that sodium. 200 mgs. in just one 8 oz. can of RB. Nothing like looking like a giant puffer fish!
Another thing....HFCS in an energy drink.... Yukk
Use REAL CANE SUGAR it helps make a quality product don't you think!!! smile.gif

toby1
05-04-2004, 10:18 AM
here we go again.....edude (Dustin Stemmer) is bashing RB!!
HIS SALES MUST BE DOWN OR NOT CLOSE TO HIS FORCASTED GOAL!
so he feels compelled to bash the category leader, the company that started the whole energy drink craz, the company that has allowed him to have a product to sell!

This just amazes me to no end!

What purpose does these negative posts/threads have on his business, never-the-less on the whole category itself!
None!
ABSOLUETLY ZERO!!

So I ask you Dustin...why dont "YOU" bring something interesting to this board (to quote you)??? insteed of the bashing of the company that made you!

Ron Swedelson
05-04-2004, 01:19 PM
A tablespoon of A-1 steak sauce has over 240 mgs. of sodium. If you are concerned with all that sodium...maybe you shouldnt be drinking energy drinks and stick to water.
But I agree with Toby, sales must be slow, or looking for more info to try and use in accounts to try and get your drinks in there.

Energydude
05-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Toby grow up !!! I wasn't bashing that lousy urine yellow energy drink. I simply stated it had a lot of salt in it.

Ron........ :confused: :confused: I am kind of hoping that lately you are smoking funny cigarettes because your post lead me to believe you are AFM! Comparing steak sauce to an energy drink ????

It was a simple question.... if you can't answer it fine!!! 200mgs. of salt in a tiny 8oz can is alot. Combine that with alcohol and you have a recipe for the fully bloated!!!

johnnyrockets
05-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Edude sounds like a former bodybuilding guy I know who used to rep S.P.
But as long as an energy drink has more potassium than sodium..it will all balance out.

And I doubt that people drinking mixed drinks are too worried about the bloated look...something I have never heard people complain about when drinking R.B. anyway

So is S.P. dead in the water or what?
Now it's called Think Pink, Drink Pink...wow that's quite a name...but the can and paw is better than the SP bottle. Here ya go...have the Paw on the front and the chicks on the back and maybe convenience stores will sell them as long as only the paw faces front on the shelf.

Can you tell I'm bored and have nothing better to do right now than to type and contemplate how to help E-Dude with his marketing approach? redface.gif

Energydude
05-04-2004, 11:23 PM
If you want to attack me do it on your own thread!
I am posting about energy drinks in general.... why so much sodium??? 200mgs. is really alot when you think about it.

My point is HFCS and High Sodium levels are kind of unexpected in an energy drink just because it is so unhealthy.

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 12:35 AM
Its not so much compairing as it is keeping things relative. Most people dont care about the sodium, is it high? I dont know, I will take your word for it. I dont look for the sodium, but I know some people do. If you dont drink Red Bull, then why even care? If most energy drinks have a lot of sodium, there must be something to it, or just something key in the ingrediants. I know, you will say Sum Poosie doesnt need to use all the sodium...then for that matter, good for you. But if you do not drink it, then it should not concern you, right?

Energydude
05-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Thanks for that enlightning post Ron...... you are truly AFM! Who cares how much salt is in the product????? A lot of people care. I am in the business and I never realized just how much salt is in one tiny can. I guess all the salt was supposed to improve the taste........LOL!!!!!!

I tried to keep a straight face!

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 12:18 PM
If you have been in the business for a long time, then you just dont pay enough attention to other products and your competition. Its not new that RB has that much sodium. Maybe it is needed in part to rehydrate people...I dont know. It would be interesting for someone who knows why there is what amounts in what drinks to say something.
Its not like I just jumped into the busines either. Most people who are overly concerned with the level of Sodium, are people who should not be drinking these types of drinks anyway, they want to see lower sodium because then they can try new things.
Thank god I am here in CA...seems everyone is way to concerned with everything that Edude thinks is bad in whatever city you live in.

Energydude
05-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Using salt for rehydration..... Great idea Ron! :rolleyes: I knew I could count on you.
Sodium is often used to improve taste......
Considering RB and others have 200mgs. and they still taste like hell I am wondering what taste they were trying to improve upon.

If you drank 3 cans of RB or SFRB in one day you would get 600mgs. of sodium in just 24ozs.

ThinkPink for example 3 cans 36ozs. only 135mgs.
of sodium 700% less Salt!

I never knew and was amazed. I try to watch my salt intake and I have to admit I will read labels a little more carefully now.

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 12:33 PM
At your age, that is probably a good thing that you read your labels and watch what you eat and drink. If you are the concerned, drink water. I personaly am not concerned with the amount of sodium I take in, maybe when I am your age I will. Well, at least there is one thing you can use when you pass off...I mean sell TP and or SP, you can tell everyone that you have less sodium than RB...Well dont say RB, it will just remind them of what they are not getting even though they ordered it...tell them less sodium than most other energy drinks. That is not an opinion based sales pitch, that is fact, and we cant disagree on that part. Good for you.

Energydude
05-05-2004, 12:38 PM
You must be short Ron .... you sound like a very bitter little man! :D

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 03:19 PM
6'2, 255, why you ask? No short man complex here.

mickstafa
05-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Sup, Edude....

Ok, I agree, it is fine for Edude to sit here and complain about a drink product. That is all fine and dandy, and yeah, it may be true that some energy drinks use too much salt. I dont drink any of that energy drink stuff, so I wouldn't know.

The problem is, it seems like every post you make, Edude, is either making some claim that either puts down your competition, or praises your product. You just kind of come across as an annoying salesman.. An Energy salesman... An Energy Dude.... I think people around here are getting sick of it.

Man this board used to be a fun place to post.

PopNutz
05-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Hey edud, if you ever got off your ass and got out from behind that keyboard of yours you might figure out why energy drinks have sodium in them, it's for the active people that sweat. I'm sure the only time you sweat is when you're trying to come up with another lie to cover your tracks from the last lie you told and the one before that.

Also if you read the label, RB doesn't use HFCS.

And BTW when are you SP guy's going to pick up all that out of date product that's sitting on the shelves collecting dust in the few stores you've been able to get distro in down South????

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 11:16 PM
So then it is used in a form to help rehydrate people?

Energydude
05-06-2004, 01:52 AM
No Ron !!! Extra salt intake is not needed for hydration!! Water Einstein is for Hydration...not salt. Silly people 30 years ago used to take salt tablets because it was believed it was sweated out and needed to be replaced. NO!

If you drank 3 cans of RB a day you would be getting one third of all the sodium you are supposed to in an entire day!

Low Sodium product are out there for a reason. Salt is not good for you. I suggest doing a little reading on the subject. However, it is good for clearing snow and eating away at asphalt!

PopNutz
05-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Gatorade has 110mgs per 8oz serving, why why why would they do that to us????? I say boycott Gatorade for trying to kill us with so much sodium! :rolleyes:

If you drank 3 cans of RB a day you would be getting one third of all the sodium you are supposed to in an entire day! Once again edud your math is very very bad, three cans of RB would only add up to 24% of your recommended sodium intake not one third like you said. Man I would hate to be one of your customers cause you'd have some of them believing they were making money off your products with your math skills.

Startup Dude
05-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Energydude:
No Ron !!! Extra salt intake is not needed for hydration!! Water Einstein is for Hydration...not saltEdude, you've proven once again that you don't know what you're talking about. Sodium and other electrolytes are required elements for normal body functions. It is lost in sweat and urine. If water was the only solution, wouldn't they be selling distilled water? NO!!! Minerals in your beverage will increase your body's ability to rehydrate, faster. Gatorade, with its mineral content, has proven to rehydrate the body faster than just water.

Healthy kidneys can easily eliminate excess sodium intake, if you have a problem with sodium intake, you should be concerned and see your doctor. However, there is such a thing as consuming too much salt. Moderation is key. I do not consider regularly drinking 3 RB, 3 SP, 3 Coke, etc. in one evening in line with the concept of moderation.

[ 05-10-2004, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Startup Dude ]

<stevenson411>
05-10-2004, 03:06 PM
The National High Blood Pressure Education Program has suggested that people ingest "no more" than 2400 mgs. of sodium. However, most Nutritionalist agree that 1800 is optimal for the average healthy male.

Popnutz I am afraid energydude's numbers are correct! 1800 divided by 600 = 33%

Nothing has been proven to hydrate any faster than water. Gatorade may be an adequate product but I would not suggest drinking 8 glasses a day of the sugary beverage.Remember Gatorade was invented for athletes and the stress of high activity.
Water I would suggest drinking 8 glasses a day.

StartUp Dude "Extra" salt is not necessary in ones diet. Most americans ingest 2 to 3 times the necessary salt for healthy functions.

By the way Startup how much are you sweating and urinating each day that you require Gatorade???

Startup Dude
05-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Stevenson411, I'm certainly not saying that we should drink Gatorade or else we'll all die from dehydration :rolleyes:

What I'm saying is that Gatorade is designed as a sport drink and contains electrolytes to replenish the mineral lost via perspiration. RB contains minerals. Why? "Red Bull Energy drink is a functional product developed especially for periods of increased mental and physical exertion." Those beverages were designed for their purpose as an energy and isotonic beverage and no one can deny the role of minerals in the hydration process.

The fact that Americans ingest to much salt is another issue. As far as health concerns, I think the sugar content in those beverages is more of an issue than the sodium content.

BTW, I do not drink RB or Gatorade, I mostly drink water.

<stevenson411>
05-10-2004, 05:24 PM
Startup Dude there are plenty of minerals in tap water, so I am not sure what your point really is?
Energydude simply said "extra" salt is not necessary as we get plenty from everyday foods. I happen to agree that 200mgs. of salt per 8ozs. is a bit much and I too stick to water.

Gatorade is simply not a good comparison because I would not suggest the average person should consume a lot of this beverage not so much for the sodium but the sugar content.

Moral of the story - Drink Water!

Ron Swedelson
05-10-2004, 08:42 PM
avg person, yes drink your water. active person, water very important, but sometimes you need that extra. I play in a very competative baseball league (one step under semi-pro ball), and I bring a gallon of water out because I know I will be in the sun playing a couple games for up to 7 hours. I drink all that water, and then some of the team water. But anytime I get a Gatoraid, it does help to rehydrate faster. Anyone drinking Gatoraid or RB or anything for the sake of hydration needs to rethink what they are doing. But when you are drinking because you are dehydrating at a faster rate because of increased activity, that extra does help.

Energydude
05-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Like I said, we get plenty of sodium from our daily diet there is no need to add so much to what we are doing already.

With all the sodium we put in our bodies every day it is not a good idea to add to it energy drinks that are high in Sodium. It could really make a difference in somebody with High Blood Pressure.

Read the labels and know what you getting!
Too much salt is just that.......too much!