PDA

View Full Version : RB DEATHS ??? True???

Energydude
05-07-2004, 06:00 PM
http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/94/157/01_5_m.html

This article was sent to me today does anyone have any additional information? Does anyone know of other deaths from mixing RB and liquor?

johnnyrockets
05-12-2004, 02:59 PM
geez...2001...what are you searching all the old dusty archives for the "latest" news?

"Red Bull..an expensive new high endurance drink..."

he he he :rolleyes:

Energydude
05-12-2004, 08:32 PM
No I was looking to see if anymore died drinking RB .... just a follow up!

<Sean>
05-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Yes, it happens. Energy drinks mixed with alcohol go straight to the blood, aka the term "Bowl Bomb" - too much can easily kill you, even if you "think you can handle it."

toby1
05-24-2004, 05:55 PM
ok ... so Im going to take this "YES IT HAPPENS" from a non reg poster.

please show any of us PROOF of this happening and not just randomly post a line of opinionated BS!

Ron Swedelson
05-24-2004, 09:55 PM
most reports I have seen about "club goers die from Red Bull" either shows latter or barely talks about how the person was on illegal narcotics and was alreay spinning out of controll. So have people died while drink Red Bull, sure, but is RB the cause, no.

Startup Dude
05-24-2004, 10:59 PM
I don't know about RB deaths. All I can report is that a couple of years ago, at a friends place, we were partying and drinking vodka RB. Later that evening, we went to a club and soon after getting in the club, we found a buddy of mine passed out in the washroom. We all thought he had too much to drink; the ambulance came and took my friend to the hospital. After thinking about it, it was clear the alcohol intake alone wasn't the only reason, as we've pretty much drank the same amount. In the hospital, after a bunch of tests, the doctor reported that my friend’s blood sugar level was way up there. No drugs, blood alcohol level not at a frightening level, healthy and active individual and he's didn't have any history of blood sugar problem, i.e. diabetes, and still doesn't. The only logical culprit was RB. I’m not saying that drinking one vodka RB can be dangerous, and we can't really prove RB was the cause, but after witnessing that, you won’t see me drinking more than one energy drink mixed with alcohol anytime soon. My friend’s first comment at the hospital when we saw him the morning: “having a tube up your wee-wee isn’t cool”

johnnyrockets
05-25-2004, 01:19 PM
well then ALL energy drinks could be potentially dangerous..not just RB

don't forget the E.... that might hurt too :D

Sean
05-26-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by toby1:
ok ... so Im going to take this "YES IT HAPPENS" from a non reg poster.

please show any of us PROOF of this happening and not just randomly post a line of opinionated BS! If you were being observant instead of a one sided prick, you'd see that I registered the same day, hence the same screen name. You could just say you wanted proof, and left out the unreg'd part.

But, I guess if you want to be a prick, then keep up the good work. You're good at it.

[ 05-26-2004, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: Sean ]

Sean
05-26-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by johnnyrockets:
well then ALL energy drinks could be potentially dangerous..not just RB

don't forget the E.... that might hurt too :D Absolutely. If the energy drinks go straight to your blood stream, as I hear, then it can be ANY energy drink. You're absolutely correct.

Yeah, the illegal activity doesn't help along the situation either. lol :cool:

<ballin on a budget>
06-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Okay, since when does any liquid go straight to the bloodstream? Or am I taking you guys too literally?

In whichever case, Caffeine and Alcohol are not very good drugs to mix. It's sorta like people who mix coke and alcohol, they increase the euphoria but can also potentiate nasty side effects from either drug. Of course it's NOT as dangerous as coke and alcohol because coke and alcohol combine to create a third drug, cocaethenol. Caffiene and liquor can be safely mixed in moderate doses, but coke and alcohol can be deadly in the lowest doses.

So, in short, when drinking, use caffiene instead of coke. Yeah.

way2muchfun
06-07-2004, 12:00 AM
I've been paying alittle attention to the whole RB with alcohol issue with one of my kids now of drinking age, in a college known for its party life... If anyone has any solid information on this I'd sure welcome it~
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/WorldNewsTonight/redbull_010718.html

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-08-2004, 07:19 PM
haha did my post get pulled?! you really need a bad heart to have red bull kill you. even mixing with liquor. it's all because of one or two isolated deaths and it was cause de celeb like three years ago. college aged parents and mayors of college towns champion it as a reason against drinking.

Sean
06-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by &lt;ballin on a budget&gt;:
Okay, since when does any liquid go straight to the bloodstream? Or am I taking you guys too literally?Too literally. Depending on the energy drink, the caffiene, sugar, and Vitamin B mixture go straight into the bloodstream... not the actual liquid. My apologies. If you look at RedBull, XS, and even those "Stacker2" tablets, they are each individually high in their own category. I was told this by my friend who works at an "energy drink" company. He's not the food and nutrition scientist, but he's in the same department.

Hope that clears things up.

nrgydrinker
06-14-2004, 01:07 AM
Hey Energydude, I mean Drayton Nay, Owner of Sum Poosie & Think Pink Energy drinks, Why so much attention on Red Bull? Your energy drink will never come close to even competing with Red Bull. And what's with the fake personna of a "guy that works for the company". All her know you are the shill for Sum Poosie. :eek:

towl
06-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Here is what I have come up with...

"Mixing Taurine (which is widely considered to be very safe drug) and alcohol can cause death."

This is an excerpt from http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Drug%20Mix

Needless to say I have also found that there is also an Energy Vodka with tauring, guarana, D-robose, and yerba mate. Go figure...

But I guess, like anything in life, enjoy it in moderation.

<bluesbaron>
06-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by towl:
Here is what I have come up with...

"Mixing Taurine (which is widely considered to be very safe drug) and alcohol can cause death."

This is an excerpt from http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Drug%20Mix

Needless to say I have also found that there is also an Energy Vodka with tauring, guarana, D-robose, and yerba mate. Go figure...

But I guess, like anything in life, enjoy it in moderation. This is all hype. Taurine is on the FDA GRAS (generally regarded as safe) list and does not interact with alcohol. Indeed, you cannot put anything in beverage alcohol without government approval by the TTB. Two recent studies done in Europe point out that the alleged deaths from energy drinks and alcohol are mythology. Write me at opfors@hotmail.com and I can send you the links to these scientific studies. Also, taurine is used in many countries to treat alcohol dependency and liver problems related to alcohol. Read the following from a medical doctor: http://www.alcoholmd.com/pro/medic/medications_for_alcoholism.asp Here is a study which shows that taurine might actually protect your liver from alcohol damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12587730&dopt=Abstract

The "energy vodka" you refer to is called Zygo (www.energyvodka.com). Each of the "additives" in Zygo are also on the FDA GRAS list. Sorry for the exhaustive response but I want to counter the bull____ that is put out there by the activists who have nothing better to do than save us from ourselves. I hope this presents "facts" from medical studies and not the fearmongering one gets from groups like MADD or some other anti drinking group.

Keith

<bluesbaron>
06-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
haha did my post get pulled?! you really need a bad heart to have red bull kill you. even mixing with liquor. it's all because of one or two isolated deaths and it was cause de celeb like three years ago. college aged parents and mayors of college towns champion it as a reason against drinking. absolutely!!!